Galads Game Dev Thread

Started by Galad, 01/31/2018, 05:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Galad

Yeah it's a old c64 game and my art sucks but it's something.Big thanks to The Old Rover for all the information he has shared,learnt quite a lot from it.Thank you.

Updated 2/7/2018

NecroPhile

That's pretty damn nice for just starting out.  Good luck to ya!

What's the tune from?  It sounds familiar.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

esteban

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

ParanoiaDragon

Nice!  Definitely looking forward to it!
IMG

Gredler

Kickass job, great work, excellent first effort! Welcome to the home-brew-crew!!!

Galad

Thanks gentlemen,appreciate the encouraging comments.

esteban

Quote from: Galad on 02/01/2018, 01:02 AMThanks gentlemen,appreciate the encouraging comments.
Oooooooh, updated graphics.

:)

Different song.

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

exodus

OldRover

Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

touko

Arkhan Asylum

Hey! galad!

You should idle on IRC so when I see your messages, you're still there so I can reply, lol...

glad you made your way here as well.

What are you using for the music?  That's always my curiosity point since we don't have alot of options for that.

I am assuming Squirrel, since you mentioned you dove into 3MLE on IRC.   Feel free to ask about MML.   That stuff makes me excited.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Galad

My plan is to use Squirrel once I have a good grasp on 3mle.I'll idle in the chat,thanks for all your help also Arkhan.

touko

I was sure you used squirrel, it sounds piramid plunderish !!  :-k

Galad

Quote from: NecroPhile on 01/31/2018, 09:15 AMWhat's the tune from?  It sounds familiar.
Quote from: Galad on 01/31/2018, 09:44 AMBomberMan 93
I'm just using cd_playtrk for now,as a place holder sorry if there was any confusion about this.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Galad on 02/04/2018, 06:36 AMMy plan is to use Squirrel once I have a good grasp on 3mle.I'll idle in the chat,thanks for all your help also Arkhan.
Ohhh, you have it playing a .wav file of the tune, and this is a CD build?

I see.

Definitely idle and leave messages.  A few times you popped in, you left before I got to answer stuff.   It's always good to be able to bounce ideas off people and see if you are doing anything dumb
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Galad

Yes CD build

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 02/05/2018, 02:04 AMDefinitely idle and leave messages.  A few times you popped in, you left before I got to answer stuff.   It's always good to be able to bounce ideas off people and see if you are doing anything dumb
Definitely will do

I would like to release this a CD only and have asked a scene musician I've worked with before in the C64 scene to help so will see how that goes.

Arkhan Asylum

Gredler

Coding some sick shit I assume, keep it up Galas, awesome progress!

Galad

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 02/10/2018, 01:30 AMGALAD WHERE YOU AT.
Studying and coding brother,I want to get on irc and chat"ask questions" that's coming,brace yourself bro.

Galad

Quote from: Gredler on 02/10/2018, 01:37 AMCoding some sick shit I assume, keep it up Galas, awesome progress!
I am indeed coding,thanks for the encouragement Gredler much appreciated.My C code has improved quite a lot in a short span.
Stay Tuned,the art is killer and takes 95% of my time,next is scrolling map with tile collision,Arthur projectiles.

Galad

Gredler

heck yeah, more great work dude nice!

ParanoiaDragon

What the?  Galad, is that yours, or someone elses?  Very cool!  I wonder, it seems like it'd be easy to upgrade that a tad by making the mountains in the background into sprites(unless tiles are doable) for some pseudo parallax!
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 02/16/2018, 01:32 AMWhat the?  Galad, is that yours, or someone elses?  Very cool!  I wonder, it seems like it'd be easy to upgrade that a tad by making the mountains in the background into sprites(unless tiles are doable) for some pseudo parallax!
rule #1 to new programmerings:

Don't tell them to mess with parallax, lol

Galad

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 02/16/2018, 01:32 AMWhat the?  Galad, is that yours, or someone elses?  Very cool!  I wonder, it seems like it'd be easy to upgrade that a tad by making the mountains in the background into sprites(unless tiles are doable) for some pseudo parallax!
Yeah it's mine,programming parallax scrolling would complicate programming much more for me at this point and I really don't want to start adding more to the project.Keep in mind I'm still new to huc and C in general,maybe in the future when I have more experience.Thank you for the suggestion though I appreciate the feedback and ideas.

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 02/16/2018, 04:51 AMrule #1 to new programmerings:

Good advice

Quote from: Gredler on 02/15/2018, 11:07 PMheck yeah, more great work dude nice!
Thank you Gredler

NecroPhile

Looks nice, especially for a guy just learning the ropes.  :mrgreen:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Psycho Punch

This does feel a lot like it's from the actual Ghosts and Goblins game, the movement of the character feels very familiar. You're probably gonna do a good port of the game if you choose to proceed with that demo.

If you end up doing it please make this the default music for the first stage, thanks in advance.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Galad on 02/16/2018, 11:39 AMGood advice
Parallax is an overrated demand people want.  And yes, if you're just learning, it will only result in extra headaches.

Lots of really great PCE games don't even use parallax, so remember that when people hassle you about no parallax.

and then point them to Ninja Gaiden for an example of shit parallax, lol.

It looks good though.   I am looking forward to you getting frustrated while implementing the red gargoyle thingy that attacks you in level 1.   \o/

Galad

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 02/16/2018, 04:42 PMIt looks good though.   I am looking forward to you getting frustrated while implementing the red gargoyle thingy that attacks you in level 1.   \o/
The Red Devil/Red Arremer,not looking forward to implementing him.

CrackTiger

Quote from: Galad on 02/16/2018, 07:09 PM
Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 02/16/2018, 04:42 PMIt looks good though.   I am looking forward to you getting frustrated while implementing the red gargoyle thingy that attacks you in level 1.   \o/
The Red Devil/Red Arremer,not looking forward to implementing him.
If you can give us insight into how his behaviour actually works, that would be super cool. :P
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

NightWolve

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 02/16/2018, 04:42 PMI am looking forward to you getting frustrated while implementing the red gargoyle thingy that attacks you in level 1.   \o/
The Red Devil enemy was a helluva epic bastard, kudos to Capcom for its creation!

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 02/16/2018, 04:51 AM

True dat!  I don't want to push the issue, I just like seeing parallax on the Turbob, not to mention in general I'd love to see older games looking better than the original arcade versions.  Whether it be with more shading/colors, parallax, etc.
IMG

touko

Galad:What version of huc you're using , the old 3.21 or elmer's one ??

CrackTiger

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 02/17/2018, 03:45 AM

True dat!  I don't want to push the issue, I just like seeing parallax on the Turbob, not to mention in general I'd love to see older games looking better than the original arcade versions.  Whether it be with more shading/colors, parallax, etc.
FX Unit Yuki's 20-ish parallax scenes will hopefully balance your homebrew parallax (and shading/color) fix.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Galad

Arkhan Asylum

Welp, there goes using Squirrel/MML, lol.

Galad

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 02/18/2018, 12:19 AMWelp, there goes using Squirrel/MML, lol.
Unfortunately I wasn't aware of that ,I started with an older version and updated without that knowledge.

Psycho Punch

I thought Squirrel was just a wrapper to the Syscard BIOS built in music engine, what gives?
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

Galad

Just a quick heads up;

Zombies not spawning on the left side of Arthur is because I'm testing and need to adjust the tables like the arcade does it.Also not implemented yet..... no fast zombie walkers,item carrying zombies,they don't re-enter into the ground,they only walk one way,zombies stop spawning on red devil stage,the spawning time needs to be adjusted/corrected ect...

Also my velocity for Arthurs jumping needs to be adjusted and his running velocity also.Fix Zombie bug on right side of screen.

OldRover

Looking pretty good so far, nice work. :)
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Galad

CrackTiger

I didn't expect such rapid progress on GnG. Very impressive. :D

elmer

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 02/18/2018, 12:19 AMWelp, there goes using Squirrel/MML, lol.
Why?

I gave you a working version of Squirrel that had been modified for the new HuC nearly a year ago.

I've given out "pre-release" copies of the working code to anyone that's asked for it in the meantime, while waiting for you guys at Aetherbyte to get off your behinds.

Squirrel works fine with the latest version of HuC.

DefleMask is going to be a much better option for most folks, though.

Galad

Good to know,and thanks for your work with HuC elmer much appreciated.

Galad

Quote from: CrackTiger on 02/18/2018, 03:19 PMI didn't expect such rapid progress on GnG. Very impressive. :D
Does your name have anything to do with Capcom Black Tiger?which happens to be my favorite arcade game.

CrackTiger

Quote from: Galad on 02/18/2018, 06:16 PM
Quote from: CrackTiger on 02/18/2018, 03:19 PMI didn't expect such rapid progress on GnG. Very impressive. :D
Does your name have anything to do with Capcom Black Tiger?which happens to be my favorite arcade game.
Yeah, it's my favorite too. :)

IMG

And Makaimura/GnG is close behind. :P

NightWolve

Quote from: CrackTiger on 02/18/2018, 08:37 PM
Quote from: Galad on 02/18/2018, 06:16 PM
Yeah, it's my favorite too. :)
IMG
And Makaimura/GnG is close behind. :P
Funny, I forgot about Capcom's game when considering your alias/nick. Now it's like oooh/duh.

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: CrackTiger on 02/17/2018, 11:03 AM
Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 02/17/2018, 03:45 AM

FX Unit Yuki's 20-ish parallax scenes will hopefully balance your homebrew parallax (and shading/color) fix.
I know it will! :)
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: elmer on 02/18/2018, 05:49 PMI gave you a working version of Squirrel that had been modified for the new HuC nearly a year ago.
Yea, kinda.   You changed register names, and I *think*(?) maybe made it so only vsync based timers worked with Squirrel.    It's been awhile since I looked since I don't use your HuC.   Maybe this isn't the case.

Anyway, you're the one that broke the semantic versioning concept with your changes.   Should've called it HuC 4, lol. 

Don't put the onus on us to update something that you rendered not working.   Go ahead and give out/post your patched up version.   Just make sure you explain the who/what/when/where/why of it.

That's where you're likely going to get into the whole "open source/licensing/omfg what now" hoojoo, but it's like, this is shit about 6.5 people are using in the grand scheme of things.   Might as well just get over it.    This scene is already overrun with dipshit olympics nonsense from repros/fakes/scams/idiocy/people basically treating their friends as profit machines, so we don't really have time to be fucking about with dumb shit like licensing circle jerks for free crap that will maybe result in someone else doing a thing of the game variety.

QuoteI've given out "pre-release" copies of the working code to anyone that's asked for it in the meantime, while waiting for you guys at Aetherbyte to get off your behinds.
You say this as if we're doing nothing.   Really, we're just doing other things of a way higher priority.   

As you and others repeatedly point out, MML is so 1980s, nobody is going to use it, and Deflemask+your new sound engine will stop judgment day, so what's the point anyways?  :lol: 

Quote from: NightWolve on 02/18/2018, 09:11 PMFunny, I forgot about Capcom's game when considering your alias/nick. Now it's like oooh/duh.
lol, fuckin duh indeed.