OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

Where can I find some good antivirus programs and firewalls?

Started by Dark Fact, 04/19/2007, 07:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Fact

Guys, I'm going to need your help again. 

A few weeks ago, my cousin bought himself a brand new desktop computer.  However, he is Ukrainian and me and him can barely communicate since he knows little english and my ukrainian speaking skills have weakened over the years.  Anyways, my dad wants me to install some antivirus software programs in his system.  My cousin doesn't want to have to pay extra for net security and I'm wondering where I could find some firewall and antivirus programs for free? I remember you guys pointed me out to Grisoft antivirus when I had that GAOBOT virus on my system.  However the site just gives me a blank page and won't load.  Any other suggestions? I need to have these programs ready for my cousin ASAP.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
homepage2.nifty.com/tkdate/ysmusic/screen/graphic/Win_CP_THE_LAST.jpg
Sorry, but I don't see your library card on the books of Ys.  Now, RETURN THEM TO ME!!!

Turbo D

Are you interested in a nod32 with an everlasting trial? I can email it to you.
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

guyjin

Turbo D

Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

Dark Fact

Quote from: guyjinI use AVG for antivirus. http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1 it's free.
That's the link I was talking about earlier.  All I'm getting is a blank page when I click on it.  Could you care to e-mail me the install file?
Quote from: turbo DAre you interested in a nod32 with an everlasting trial? I can email it to you.
QuoteI also have zone alarm pro if you want it.
What are those like? :-s
Sorry, but I don't see your library card on the books of Ys.  Now, RETURN THEM TO ME!!!

Turbo D

Nod32 is an antivirus program. Zone alarm is a free firewall program that is pretty good. The pro version has upgraded features like spyware removal. they also make antivirus, but i dont have that to share.
IMG IMG
IMG

Kitsunexus

I recommend the new AVG as an all-in-one firewall and virus protection solution. The free avg just protects against viruses though, no firewall.
Forgive me, my brain is on par with the Bubble System.
THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS RULE!

Seldane

Avast is the best free anti-virus/firewall software (actually, it is better than retail software as well). It practically doesn't take any resources, it doesn't destroy your computer (unlike Norton) and it doesn't slow things down at all.

Get it.

www.avast.com

It's free, but still requires you to register it. Registering is annoying, but worth it (because it only takes some time, no money).
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG
Indeed, it's AV time. Check out: IMG! Sir, the door was open.

NecroPhile

Zone Alarm Pro and nod32 are not free.  Don't be a LeEt HaXOrz and steal readily available commercial software - there are plenty of legally free options available.  I'll hop off of my soapbox now.  :wink:

If the new computer has Vista on it, make sure that you're getting Vista compatible versions.  Some of the firewall and anti-virus programs have yet to be updated.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Kitsunexus

turbo D, I don't really know the board's stance on the subject, but I'm pretty sure offering w4r3z is illegal...

Oli_lar

I use both Adaware and Spybot Search & Destroy, both very good programs. I used AVG for a while but got anoyed with it...

Turbo D

Adaware is an excellent free anti-spyware program. I've used it for at couple of years.
IMG IMG
IMG

Dark Fact

Well, it turns out that my local internet service provider has their own free security system that they claim is "better than McAfee and Norton combined" and it won't slow my system down or do auto scanning without my consent.  The catch is that you have to be a registered customer.

So my cousin is planning on getting the same service I'm using and that will entitle him to the free security system.  The system works great so far and managed to weed out a little virus that was sitting dormant in my computer in the process. :wink:

I'll let you all know how it goes by week's end.  Thanks for your help, everyone. :)

Kitsunexus

Quote from: Dark Fact on 04/25/2007, 01:18 PMWell, it turns out that my local internet service provider has their own free security system that they claim is "better than McAfee and Norton combined" and it won't slow my system down or do auto scanning without my consent.
I highly doubt the legitimacy of their claims, especially when you consider that Norton and McAffee are very slow and shitty. ¬_¬

xcrement5x

Bump, does anyone have advice here? 
My PC has been acting really slow recently and I wonder if it's a virus or botnet or what.
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

NightWolve

I use basic free AVG. In my Windows 10 tablets I just rely on default Windows Defender.

https://www.avg.com/en-us/free-antivirus-download

majors

Quote from: guest on 05/22/2018, 10:18 PMBump, does anyone have advice here? 
My PC has been acting really slow recently and I wonder if it's a virus or botnet or what.
We know where xele's been going...

It's been a while since I had to bother keeping up with virus/malware shit, but Norton had some freebie tool called Norton Power Eraser that helped out with baddies. Other than the normal barrage of 'Bytes, Spybot and Super (Install, scan-clean, uninstall). From what I experienced, viruses are not the main concern, it's all spy/mal/ransomware nowadays. Oh, and web hijacks...that was what freaked out users the most!

I just assume my crap is compromised and could format my machines(s) any hour.
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

SignOfZeta

Dang. And here I am pirating whatever I want since before this 11 year old thread started and never contracting anything despite not running any protection that isn't built into the OS. I must be blessed.
IMG

xcrement5x

Yeah it's weird, normally I don't have issues and even this seems like it's only intermittent.  I only notice slowdowns occasionally.
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

NightWolve

I'd also recommend Crap Cleaner to examine your registry Run key, see all the crap that set itself to start every time Windows boots.

Any Google new version checks you should delete, and other stuff that might be outdated, etc. Looking at services.msc (when typed in Run box) and disabling stuff in there if you know what you're doing can help. But yeah, reduce any extra 3rd party crap that wants to start with Windows is what you wanna do. Good luck.

https://www.ccleaner.com

Dicer