@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Super SD System 3

Started by synbiosfan, 12/07/2017, 02:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazydean

Quote from: guest on 12/17/2017, 01:32 PMI realized today that we're inevitably going to have people demanding a dummy HuCard to fill the slot while using the Super SD System 3. There will be equal parts cosmetic and dust protection excuses offered.

I think that Stoneage Gamer will be the first to produce one, since there isn't any way to deface the device itself with their gaudy logo and justify a big premium.

Maybe they'll print a shockbox insert and include a "custom" case to store the SSS3 in?
Lol. TBH, I'd say that something to keep the dust out might be a good idea. It's why nearly all consoles have a dust flap or cover of some sort. Even the Duo has a cool cover that flips up.

I could be talking out of my ass. You could just clean the contacts with some rubbing alcohol. Is there a consensus about permanent deterioration on raw contacts?

CrackTiger

I don't think that a HuCard shaped dust blocker is a bad idea in itself, but the SSS3 has been plagued by whiners coming out of the woodwork with all kinds of crazy complaints and demands.

I'd just file off the pins of a dead HuCard myself, but even HuCards leave a crack for dust to potentially get in.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

NecroPhile

I'd not worry about dust.  Play at least one real game every couple of weeks and problem solved.

Or get a Shuttle*.  They look cool and have a dust cover.

* - I know they have a different expansion bus an probably won't work with this thing, but don't let logic ruin a perfectly silly suggestion.  :mrgreen:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

nopepper

Quote from: guest on 12/18/2017, 11:45 AMI don't think that a HuCard shaped dust blocker is a bad idea in itself, but the SSS3 has been plagued by whiners coming out of the woodwork with all kinds of crazy complaints and demands.
The Trojan HuCard Dust Blocker.

Protect your system from impurities.

The Magnum Edition comes with case and manual.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 12/18/2017, 11:45 AMI don't think that a HuCard shaped dust blocker is a bad idea in itself, but the SSS3 has been plagued by whiners coming out of the woodwork with all kinds of crazy complaints and demands.

I'd just file off the pins of a dead HuCard myself, but even HuCards leave a crack for dust to potentially get it.
My dust cover = an old pair of rayon TG-16 socks.

:)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Keith Courage

Just had a thought. Seeing how fast some games load up in those youtube trailers makes me wonder how much faster Fighting street will load in between rounds. Arcade Neo Geo ports as well.

esteban

Quote from: Keith Courage on 12/18/2017, 08:39 PMJust had a thought. Seeing how fast some games load up in those youtube trailers makes me wonder how much faster Fighting street will load in between rounds. Arcade Neo Geo ports as well.
Wait, this would apply to cinemas, too...all the pauses (loading) would be reduced in duration...

...presumably...
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

crazydean

Not having the long load time every 10th load would be really nice too.

CrackTiger

I want to see if the Shermatlocks still go out of sync and if so, if it takes long or is not as bad.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

NightWolve

Quote from: Keith Courage on 12/09/2017, 04:48 PMHas anyone seen this? https://starforcepi.wordpress.com/2017/04/19/the-pc-engine-sd/ Don't think it does CD games though.
Nope, that's awesome too, but too bad they didn't go the distance either with HDMI output. Good find!

pcenginesd-boxart.png

EDIT: Oh wait, it was misleading, this guy is just showcasing a Mike Kennedy RetroVGS or "Chameleon" hack job ? :lol: :lol:

He took a PC Engine motherboard, a TurboEverdrive, a turbokon/thesteve/jodi Component booster, etc then stuffed it all in another console mold and made it work ?? :/ Heh heh.

C'mon Keith, you had me fooled there!

imparanoic

Quote from: NightWolve on 12/19/2017, 02:22 PM
Quote from: Keith Courage on 12/09/2017, 04:48 PMHas anyone seen this? https://starforcepi.wordpress.com/2017/04/19/the-pc-engine-sd/ Don't think it does CD games though.
Nope, that's awesome too, but too bad they didn't go the distance either with HDMI output. Good find!
pcenginesd-boxart.png
EDIT: Oh wait, it was misleading, this guy is just showcasing a Mike Kennedy RetroVGS or "Chameleon" hack job ? :lol: :lol:

He took a PC Engine motherboard, a TurboEverdrive, a turbokon/thesteve/jodi Component booster, etc then stuffed it all in another console mold and made it work ?? :/ Heh heh.

C'mon Keith, you had me fooled there!
that looks crap, looks like the failed uk console amstrad gx4000

NightWolve

Yep, that's because it is a 1990 Amstrad GX4000 case!

So he broke 3 things to create this abomination: a PC Engine, an Amstrad GX4000, a Component booster, and he trapped a Turbo Everdrive in that thing...

It went from cool to outrageous in short order, heh!

Psycho Punch

Wasn't that a prank or something? I remember seeing that at some point here at pcefx. Packaging INDIVIDUAL games on SD Cards one million times larger is such a stupid idea that maybe my mind filed this memory under "pranks and hoaxes" to save me from being traumatized for life.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs!
I had to delete THOUSANDS of error log entries cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

synbiosfan

PAL news

Quote from: neosd;4260136I think the same but there were some guys on Spanish forums insisting about that (to get PAL Turbograf16 working)

We just did some changes to improve the way "in game trigger" works, cause this is something that affects games and may produce issues if enabled on some games.
Then, we noticed Turbograf16 PAL was working fine. It was never our intention to get the PAL Turbografx working at all ...

Glitches as you can see. NeoSD doesn't feel the problems are an easy fix so he won't try.

tbone3969

"There's something out there in those trees and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."

CrackTiger

The PAL TurboGrafx doesn't play HuCard or CDs correctly in the first place. Just goes to show the kinds of complaints Terra Onion is dealing with.

synbiosfan

It has the same issues you would normally so BT is spot on.

mickcris

Quote from: mickcris on 12/08/2017, 08:20 AM
Quote from: PCEngineTrev on 12/08/2017, 08:04 AMSo youd have to mess with the casing on the Super CD System to get it to fit?
it should fit.  in the video on the thread in neo geo, it shows working on a tg16. its the connector that would interfere with it not fitting.  the slot where it goes in on a TG16 is smaller. other than that, the dimensions on the back of the console are the same.

here is an example of ten no koe 2.  if you remove the extra plastic (circled in red) from the connector, it fits fine on a tg16

IMG
IMG
the hole lines up perfectly with the ac adapter plug
IMG

they said they were going to test it soon to make sure though, but i dont see why it wouldn't fit.

the issue with the pinout being different on the exp port is just when you a modding one.  this is due to the pcb being upside down in shell.  it being on the opposite side of the board makes the pins you need to solder to different from the normal pinout posted all over for the pc engine.
I may have been incorrect about this.  looks like the AV booster is designed a little different and doesn't quite slide onto a TG16 without a little more modifying of its shell.  I had never tried to put one of these on a TG16 before and didn't realize they were shaped a little differently.  Looks like this is what they designed theirs after.

They have said it might fit without modifying but are not quite sure yet.  but they also said it should fit with some slight modification if it doesn't fit right.

JoshTurboTrollX

Wish they took paypal. :)

Looks pretty rad!
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Nexus7

I'm really tempted to sell off my TG-16 + Turbo CD combo for this and a PCE Core Grafx.

Keith Courage

Quote from: Nexus7 on 12/30/2017, 09:17 PMI'm really tempted to sell off my TG-16 + Turbo CD combo for this and a PCE Core Grafx.
I'm struggling with a similar idea myself. Not so much to sell some stuff and make some money. Just because it would make things so dam convenient having the entire library of games at your finger tips.

Nexus7

I know it would have been a lot more work, but they should have just gone for a 100% replication of the PCE/PC-CD system via FPGA.  This device is still cool, but I'm waiting for someone to make a proper FPGA clone with 1080p out via HDMI.

VmprHntrD

I just snapped up a Core Grafx from Japan to get back into this.  I'm strongly considering this thing given I just want to have some fun and not go broke at the same time.

20 years ago I bought a Duo but it has been gone due to loss for over a dozen years now, and I really enjoyed the HuCards but some CDs were just fantastic so this really caught my eye.

One thing that I've noticed it appears they don't accept paypal which is a problem unless I'm missing something?

grendelrt

Quote from: VmprHntrD on 12/31/2017, 12:40 PMI just snapped up a Core Grafx from Japan to get back into this.  I'm strongly considering this thing given I just want to have some fun and not go broke at the same time.

20 years ago I bought a Duo but it has been gone due to loss for over a dozen years now, and I really enjoyed the HuCards but some CDs were just fantastic so this really caught my eye.

One thing that I've noticed it appears they don't accept paypal which is a problem unless I'm missing something?
They probably don't take paypal because of issues with freezing accounts. Plenty of stories of accounts being frozen when they have lots of activity, I think Darksoft even had the issue with one of his releases.

My Core Grafx II comes today, this is going to replace my Turbo Duo that I have repaired 3x so far for bad caps and traces haha. I think the first thing I am going to play is Lords and Gates of Thunder with the volume adjustment on the background music.

Medic_wheat

Hmm I am tempted. The price point doesn't seem to bad considering all it can do.

I like it does RGB but almost want to hold off to see if they do a verson that also supports HDMI.

I have found I am going very much in be HDMI phase as of late.

CrackTiger

Built-in upscalers in consoles give them a limited shelf life and compromise image quality. It's also much more expensive than using a single quality upscaler.  If you don't just replace your 720/1080p outputting 240p-based hardware in five years with an 8k mod with XYZ connection, you'll likely be using an upscaler anyway. Only instead of uscaling in integers directly from 240p, you'll be rounding up from upscaled rounded up resolutions.

You also lose out on the value of being able to use them on crt screens.

I have no interest in an all-in one fake console. My last few phones have all had a good PC Engine emulator and hdmi output (and Wii remote support). A simulated PCE would have to be $50 to be worthwhile even just as a gimmick.

VmprHntrD

Factoring out the free games angle with it, the price is very well set for it given how many systems on that FPGA setup or whatevers going on in there under the hood is allowing for.  Then it also doubles as a big fat non battery waiting to die memory storage too for save games, and it has a few other uses too.  It's a real solid option, and the total lack of moving parts you get with those disc systems known to be problematic on top of the ratty caps issues it just makes sense.  It's just $200US~ more than an everdrive that just handles HuCards alone.

Medic_wheat

To clarify I meant one with both options. HDMI and RGB.

As I still have a few CRTs. But when I travel to visit family I depend on clone systems to connect to modern HDMI only tvs.

This is usually because I am trying to turn on brother in law or friends in my home town into the latest retro thingy I am playing.

It's semi successfully. However I have found most people who do not nostagia all over retro gamines despot havjng growing up in the systems era preffernace to emulate off a computer.

waiwainl

Quote from: Nexus7 on 12/31/2017, 12:25 PMI know it would have been a lot more work, but they should have just gone for a 100% replication of the PCE/PC-CD system via FPGA.  This device is still cool, but I'm waiting for someone to make a proper FPGA clone with 1080p out via HDMI.
Why not use an upscaler? There are very good ones these days. Usable for all your older consoles.

NecroPhile

Cost.  HDMI is fairly cheap to add compared to the cost of a good (reliable and low latency) stand alone upscaler.

CrackTiger

Quote from: NecroPhile on 01/03/2018, 10:03 AMCost.  HDMI is fairly cheap to add compared to the cost of a good (reliable and low latency) stand alone upscaler.
HDMI is just an incidental part of what people are actually paying a lot of money for, which is a dedicated upscaler, often bundled with misc fpga hardware, for each console. From what've seen for the prices of having 1080p hdmi mods done to hardware you provide (theoretically cheaper than buying pre-modded hardware), you could buy a framemeister for the cost of two "hdmi" mods or less.

Game-Tech's current price to do the hdmi mod to the NES you provide and pay separately to ship both ways is $220.

NecroPhile

I assumed HDMI could be added to the FPGA hardware fairly cheaply, using the FPGA to do all the scaling and not requiring any additional upscaler equipment at all.  I don't even pretend to know all the specs and capabilities, though, so maybe that's not even remotely possible.

The original system isn't being modded in any case, so that's not really relevant.

waiwainl

Quote from: guest on 01/03/2018, 10:03 AMCost.  HDMI is fairly cheap to add compared to the cost of a good (reliable and low latency) stand alone upscaler.
Problem is that the quality than depends on the implementation of the used upscale HW/SW. While the generic upscaler is dedicated to that purpose.

Though not sure why you would play it on HDMI in the first place.

NecroPhile

Quote from: waiwainl on 01/03/2018, 04:56 PMThough not sure why you would play it on HDMI in the first place.
Because I already have multiple "real" systems to play on a CRT, I'd only blow hundreds of dollars on yet another system if it did something I can't already do*.  I want a system that'd look good hooked up to the LCD in the living room.

* - my system can't play ISOs directly, of course, but it has no problem playing CDRs.

Gypsy

Quote from: guest on 01/03/2018, 05:43 PM
Quote from: waiwainl on 01/03/2018, 04:56 PMThough not sure why you would play it on HDMI in the first place.
Because I already have multiple "real" systems to play on a CRT, I'd only blow hundreds of dollars on yet another system if it did something I can't already do*.  I want a system that'd look good hooked up to the LCD in the living room.

* - my system can't play ISOs directly, of course, but it has no problem playing CDRs.
At that price point you might as well just get a good multi-purpose external scaler. Especially if you watch a lot older physical movie formats (I know most of the kids use netflix now). That's what I'd do anyway.  :dance:

Nexus7

I'm hoping someone implements a full TG-16/TG-CD via FPGA with HDMI out.  That is how PCE/TG-16 will continue to live on outside of crappy emulators.   PCE/TG-16 deserves to be properly preserved and FPGA is the best way to go.

tbone3969

"There's something out there in those trees and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."

Nexus7

Quote from: tbone3969 on 01/10/2018, 04:12 PMWhats FPGA?
"Field Programmable Gate Array"    Its a chip that can be programed to act like pretty whatever you want given it has enough logic.  It offers the most accurate reproduction of consoles without the original hardware.  FPGA's are heavily used on Everdrives and ODEs like the GDEMU for Dreamcast and now Super SD 3 for PCE/TG-16.  There are only three fully FPGA based consoles, RetroUSB AVS (NES), Analogue NT Mini (NES) and Super NT (SNES).

tbone3969

Gotcha.  Thanks.

I love my AVS and I have pre-ordered the SNES NT.

Nexus7

Quote from: tbone3969 on 01/10/2018, 04:45 PMGotcha.  Thanks.

I love my AVS and I have pre-ordered the SNES NT.
I have my Super NT pre-ordered as well.  What color scheme did you choose?

Also, do you happen to be a member of the Facebook group Console Purist?

tbone3969

JAPJAC

What's the 411 on HuDebug hey yo?
sig-top.jpg
JAPJAC - "A leading pioneer and expert in the field of Japanese videogame playing, studying & collecting in the U.K. since day one" © 2001. Japan resident & TFP founder.
sig-bot.jpg

CrackTiger

Quote from: JAPJAC on 01/10/2018, 07:57 PMWhat's the 411 on HuDebug hey yo?
Why not start a thread about it instead of asking in a thread about a different product?

Psycho Punch

You should probably seek and send a PM to the leading pioneer and expert in the field of programming and tools for the PC Engine since day one' © 1986.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:

JAPJAC

Quote from: PsychoPunch on 01/10/2018, 10:24 PM
You should probably seek and send a PM to the leading pioneer and expert in the field of programming and tools for the PC Engine since day one' © 1986.
You've done well.  I think that would be the same geezer that taught this very PC Engine specific message board what Dark Left is in 2017.  Cheers.
sig-top.jpg
JAPJAC - "A leading pioneer and expert in the field of Japanese videogame playing, studying & collecting in the U.K. since day one" © 2001. Japan resident & TFP founder.
sig-bot.jpg

Psycho Punch

Quote from: JAPJAC on 01/11/2018, 10:27 AM
Quote from: Psycho Punch on 01/10/2018, 10:24 PM
You've done well.  I think that would be the same geezer that taught this very PC Engine specific message board what Dark Left is in 2017.  Cheers.
Thanks for gracing us, poor PCEFX gaming peasants, with your incredibly expansive knowledge on all things PC Engine. ^^

CZroe

Quote from: Nexus7 on 01/10/2018, 04:10 PMI'm hoping someone implements a full TG-16/TG-CD via FPGA with HDMI out.  That is how PCE/TG-16 will continue to live on outside of crappy emulators.   PCE/TG-16 deserves to be properly preserved and FPGA is the best way to go.
They did. It's called UPPERGRAFX/UPERGRAFX. DVI adapts to HDMI but doesn't require HDMI licensing. Their English site ignores the new ODE functions but it's there on the Japanese site. Sounds like a revised and more expensive version that does both. Costs about the same as SSDSys3 but still requires system cards and compatibility doesn't appear to be as good.

pixeljunkie

Is the bonehead/nerd that got a refund from Terraonion on these boards?

ccovell

Quote from: CZroe on 01/14/2018, 08:23 PM
Quote from: Nexus7 on 01/10/2018, 04:10 PMI'm hoping someone implements a full TG-16/TG-CD via FPGA with HDMI out.  That is how PCE/TG-16 will continue to live on outside of crappy emulators.   PCE/TG-16 deserves to be properly preserved and FPGA is the best way to go.
They did. It's called UPPERGRAFX/UPEEGRAFX...
No, he means the entire system emulated on an FPGA, not anything that attaches to the rear of the PCE, as the UperGrafx does.

Incidentally, a guy named Ki has had a working FPGA implementation of the PCE for about 10 years now; he has just started taking another look at his project again.  Hopefully that will bear fruit sooner than later.

waiwainl

It seems the first units are being shipped.