Random Power Golf 2 thread of the utmost importance

Started by pixeljunkie, 04/12/2017, 04:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pixeljunkie

pcengine.co.uk/HTML_Games/Power_Golf2.htm

I just felt compelled to rant about this as it's been on my mind.

I have an odd obsession with old school golf games. I have no idea why. I have a pretty massive collection of US/Jpn games across 8/16/32 bit. 16-Bit being my favorite era. I group PCE in with this because it transcends "8-bit".

Power Golf 2 is so far beyond any other game from the era that it isn't even funny. Mario Golf tries to add RPG elements but it gets so cumbersome it detracts from the golf aspect, making it impossible to pick up and pay.

Power Golf 2 is completely playable without knowledge of Japanese as all menus are in english. The RPG elements are superb. Forcing you to manage a job, practicing and entering tournaments at certain dates. It's surprisingly rich in content.

The actual golf gameplay is also excellent. It takes the sim aspect from games like PGA Tour and creates something that doesn't "feel" like a sim. It moves at a decent pace and the presentation is top notch.

I seriously can't say enough good things about this game. It's also damn fun with the mouse. You can get the game for like $5 too. It's just great and I wanted to make a thread [I think I made a similar one years ago - edit: yep, I did] to reiterate it's greatness.

tbone3969

Thank you for this.  I will check out this game now.
"There's something out there in those trees and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."

NecroPhile

Don't forget the FMV.  That's the reason I bought it.

That sounds dumb and super collectarded.... because it is.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

pixeljunkie

Quote from: guest on 04/12/2017, 04:53 PMDon't forget the FMV.  That's the reason I bought it.

hahah it's actually my least favorite aspect...that damn CD accessing pause drives me nuts

esteban

Quote from: pixeljunkie on 04/12/2017, 04:55 PM
Quote from: guest on 04/12/2017, 04:53 PMDon't forget the FMV.  That's the reason I bought it.

hahah it's actually my least favorite aspect...that damn CD accessing pause drives me nuts
Ok, I started to write about it here:

https://archives.tg-16.com/Dengeki_PC_Engine_1994_04.htm

But, pixeljunkie, your praise has made me rethink my stance...all the career stuff... I think I could really get into it. Maybe I really didn't give that aspect a "fair shake"...

I loved reading your post... I really think I have to play this game objectively.

:)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

SignOfZeta

I like the first one quite a bit. A great ten yen PCE title.
IMG

crazydean

Looks like a great game. If only they hadn't ruined it with that golf stuff.

majors

Quote from: pixeljunkie on 04/12/2017, 04:47 PMThe RPG elements are superb. Forcing you to manage a job, practicing and entering tournaments at certain dates. It's surprisingly rich in content.
I'm also a fan of PG2 but I never knew there was anything else in it other than pickup game of golf or maybe the tourney mode. I'll have to venture into the other menus after I borrow Null's PCE Mouse.

Dealer at MGC had a copy for $5. I'm sure it could have been haggled for.
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

pixeljunkie

Quote from: majors on 04/13/2017, 08:24 AM
Quote from: pixeljunkie on 04/12/2017, 04:47 PMThe RPG elements are superb. Forcing you to manage a job, practicing and entering tournaments at certain dates. It's surprisingly rich in content.
I'm also a fan of PG2 but I never knew there was anything else in it other than pickup game of golf or maybe the tourney mode. I'll have to venture into the other menus after I borrow Null's PCE Mouse.

Dealer at MGC had a copy for $5. I'm sure it could have been haggled for.
It is tournament mode I am talking about. It's fun as you choose to work one day and have no idea how much money you will make [for entering tournaments or buying new clubs] and some days you get slapped with taxes, or have an auto accident and have to pay for repairs. You have to travel from the air port to tournaments which also have color commentary throughout. It's a pretty robust mode considering when it was released and what else was out at the time.

geise

I will now go back and play Power Golf 2 again.  Had the first constantly in my Duo for  few weeks not to long ago.  The content is quite rich and fun to see.

Dicer

How playable is this without knowing moon runes?

pixeljunkie

Quote from: Dicer on 04/13/2017, 09:19 PMHow playable is this without knowing moon runes?
COMPLETELY playable and then some

roflmao

Quote from: Dicer on 04/13/2017, 09:19 PMHow playable is this without knowing moon runes?
Yeah, it's totally playable. I burned a copy awhile back, last time this game came up with some positive feedback and really enjoyed it. It's been on my list of games to pick up since. It's way better than any golf game that got released on the TG16 and is completely playable even if you don't understand moon runes, like me. :)

pixeljunkie

Anyone played Go Go Birdie Chance? That's one I haven't played yet.

geise

Quote from: pixeljunkie on 04/14/2017, 03:20 PMAnyone played Go Go Birdie Chance? That's one I haven't played yet.
SuperDeadite did a fairly good overview of the game years back on these forums. Let me see if I can find it.

Edit:  FOUND IT!  https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=3436.msg100518#msg100518

Digi.k

Quote from: Dicer on 04/13/2017, 09:19 PMHow playable is this without knowing moon runes ?
somewhat but you get use to it...  I just suck big time at the actual golfing.

IMG
img.photobucket.com/albums/m113/secretsociety1/pg2A.jpg

Psycho Punch

Hu Professional Golfer's Association. Isn't PGA a trademark or something???

I need to buy this game... it seems to be one of the better, actually fun golf games made in the 16 bit era.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs!
I had to delete THOUSANDS of error log entries cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

pixeljunkie

Quote from: geise on 04/14/2017, 04:57 PM
Quote from: pixeljunkie on 04/14/2017, 03:20 PMAnyone played Go Go Birdie Chance? That's one I haven't played yet.
SuperDeadite did a fairly good overview of the game years back on these forums. Let me see if I can find it.

Edit:  FOUND IT!  https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=3436.msg100518#msg100518
Nice! Thx. Makes me want to do a more classic "review" of power golf 2