10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

What are you currently listening to?

Started by geise, 10/27/2011, 07:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

geise

Just as the title says.  Blatant copy of the youtube thread.  I'm huge on music and have noticed a lot from others talking about bands and musicians/composers.  So...post what you're currently listening too! Even if it's video game music, post it!  Guess I'll get it started.

Listening to one of the new songs from a band called Cynic.   Cynic - Carbon-Based Anatomy

Also I've been on a Sega game music kick.  Here's one from my favorite Sega Arcade game.

BlueBMW

I'm listening to the Drac X game CD.  Its halloween time so of course I must listen to it!
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

Bernie

thrush

That Quartet song rocks!!  Downloading now....

Recently I got a bunch of Japanese darkwave/E.B.M./electro and have been listening to that.  I especially am loving Blood's last album, Lost Sky, the latest album from GPKism, along with the several-years-old debut from Sawdust in Me.  Here are samples:

Blood - "Lost Sky [Marlee Remix]"
GPKism - "Desiderium"
Sawdust in Me - "Tiny"
(can't find any good videos with their newer stuff, but this gives the idea)

I also put Final Fantasy 6 & Final Fantasy Mystic Quest on in the background while doing my hardware design homework earlier.

FF USA - "Mountain Range"
(Been one of my favourites since I was a kid.)

hoobs88

I have a MIDI version of Quartet on my ipod that I listen to frequently because it is awesome!

Castlevania music is great too.

I have been playing Drum Mania lately and really like the song "Black Out" by Be For U
1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase
Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0
League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns

chany60126

Great topic Geise!! I've been listening to music from this hard rock band from Spain: Mago de Oz. They have a very unique and awesome sound. Many of their songs have violins and flutes playing alongside electric guitars, which is the case with my favorite of theirs:

Alma:
Other ones that I love are
Molinos de Viento:
Van a Rodar Cabezas (wicked violin solo at 3:13 :)):
Fiesta Pagana:

geise

Thanks Chany!  That band sounds amazing.  Sort of sounds like something out of an Ys game a little bit.  That's one more reason I started this thread.  We can help each other find awesome music!  I have a real open mind with music.  I listen to everything from metal, to classical, to Zappa and David Lee Roth haha.

machomadness

I know people are going to make fun of me, but I can't stop listening to "Head Over Heels" by Tears For Fears. Ever since I watched Donnie Darko a couple weeks back.....
IMG

A_Locomotive

Currently listening to the song Elation by the ambient band Troum.

OldRover

Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

SignOfZeta

Lately I've been into the newest albums from Astronautalis, Iron Maiden, Fucked Up, Patton Oswalt, and Erasure. Looking forward to the new Doomtree and Gift of Gab.
IMG

TheClash603

Missed out on the one-night only Screeching Weasel show in Chicago, because no one wanted to go with me...  so I guess I'll just have to listen to it instead.

MotherGunner

Quote from: machomadness on 10/28/2011, 11:43 AMI know people are going to make fun of me, but I can't stop listening to "Head Over Heels" by Tears For Fears. Ever since I watched Donnie Darko a couple weeks back.....
Don't feel bad bro.  I like Tears for Fears... but while on the subject (and NO PUN intended), I can't stop listening to Macho Man.
"There is no way you will ever get closer to the utopia you experience when you listen to this outstanding album." - QFT

http://www.amazon.com/Be-Man-Macho-Randy-Savage/dp/B0000CF348/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319867560&sr=8-1
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

geise

That sucks you missed Screeching Weasels, especially since it was a one time show.  I would've loved to see Naked Raygun Back in the day.  They were always one of my favorites in the 80's.

Ash

Quote from: BlueBMW on 10/27/2011, 08:22 PMI'm listening to the Drac X game CD.  Its halloween time so of course I must listen to it!
THAT IS SWEET!!!!!!!!!

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 10/28/2011, 10:45 PMLately I've been into the newest albums from Astronautalis, Iron Maiden, Fucked Up, Patton Oswalt, and Erasure. Looking forward to the new Doomtree and Gift of Gab.
Gift of Gab has another one coming?!?  How'd I miss that?  Still haven't picked up J-lives or Freestyle Fellowships new one, but, that's what I'd be listening to right now if I did.  I did however listen to a friend whom I went to school with, hooked me up with a couple of cd's, his name is 3ize, pretty tight what I've heard so far(don't know the name of the album, it's just a cd with lips on it). 

edit-I think it's this album IMG
IMG

roflmao

Opethian

IMG
Asaki - Kamikyoku
IMG

SuperPlay

Right now I am listing to "Monster Maker CD II" that has just arrive in today's post from Japan :-)

http://vgmdb.net/album/4476

cyloaiza

Quote from: chany60126 on 10/28/2011, 01:06 AMGreat topic Geise!! I've been listening to music from this hard rock band from Spain: Mago de Oz. They have a very unique and awesome sound. Many of their songs have violins and flutes playing alongside electric guitars, which is the case with my favorite of theirs:

Alma:
Other ones that I love are
Molinos de Viento:
Van a Rodar Cabezas (wicked violin solo at 3:13 :)):
Fiesta Pagana:
Amazing stuff chany! :shock: I never would have thought classic instruments would be in great harmony with electric guitars. Thanks for sharing!

geise

Today I've been in a Prog/Jazz/Fusion mood.  Rocked out my favorite album by Mats/Morgan band.  The keyboardist and Drummer played with Zappa when they were teenagers.  So, they have a pretty heavy Zappa influence in their music.
Keyboardist is Mats Oberg, Drummer is Morgan Agren, Jonas Knutson on crazy awesome Sax.  Haha I bet most will hate this stuff.  Thought I'd still share anyways.  Here's them live playing Pee Wee Ellis's song Chicken, but adding their own flare too it.

A_Locomotive

I'm listening to an ambient album by the artist SleepResearch_Facility. Its titled Nostromo and is based on the sounds from the first 8 minutes of the movie Alien and it is absolutely brilliant!

SuperPlay

A little bit of Motorhead
Went to see them in concert the other night!

Sparky

back to listening to the Scott Pilgram soundtrack... a lot of good stuff there and a good driving tune... :)

roflmao

I picked up Primus' most recent album last night (Amazon has it for $4 as a digital download: http://www.amazon.com/Green-Naugahyde/dp/B005IEF27O/ref=sr_shvl_album_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320371560&sr=301-1) so I've been listening to that.  It's no Frizzle Fry or Sailing the Seas of Cheese (or even Pork Soda), but it's growing on me.  A couple of the tracks sound very similar to other stuff they've done on earlier studio records, but I'm digging it, all in all.  It's too bad Tim Alexander isn't drumming with them (again).

TheClash603

Quote from: SuperPlay on 11/05/2011, 07:40 AMA little bit of Motorhead
Went to see them in concert the other night!
Sacrifice was one of the songs I used to intro in to my radio show back in college.  I love me some Motorhead.

The other two songs I used to kick off the show were:

Body Count - Street Lobotomy (Love this band...)
Andrew W.K. - It's Time to Party (This album just made college fun, and he's AWESOME to see live).
How many of you guys actually knew this song was about bukkake?

Finally..  RIP Flattus Maximus (Cory Smoot).  I make sure to see GWAR once a year, and this guy could really play.

geise

Yeah it sure as hell is sad to hear about Smoot.  I used to love seeing GWAR live.

rolfmao:  I love Primus and had no idea they had a new album out!  :shock:  I actually really liked Anti Pop.  The new one sounds decent, but it's hard to tell from those short sound clips on Amazon.  I totally agree on Frizzle Fry and Sailing the Seas of Cheese as their top albums.  I didn't care for Pork Soda much.  Thought it was a tad boring.  I will definitely check out their new one!  Thanks for sharing.

roflmao

Quote from: geise on 11/06/2011, 12:45 PMrolfmao:  I love Primus and had no idea they had a new album out!  :shock:  I actually really liked Anti Pop.  The new one sounds decent, but it's hard to tell from those short sound clips on Amazon.  I totally agree on Frizzle Fry and Sailing the Seas of Cheese as their top albums.  I didn't care for Pork Soda much.  Thought it was a tad boring.  I will definitely check out their new one!  Thanks for sharing.
I didn't know that about Smoot.  Back in the late 90s my little brother and I would go see GWAR every chance we got.  They put on quite the memorable show!

geise: Did you ever listen to their follow-up to Anti-Pop "Animals Should Not Try to Act Like People"?  Their old drummer, Tim was back for that one (a 6-song EP), but I didn't care for it.  I think their music style at Pork Soda started to shift from a funky-thrashy sound to more of a long, laid-back psychedelic aural trip and, while some of it is neat, it never really gelled with me like their older stuff.

This new album is growing on me.  For $4 it's hard to go wrong, imo. ;)

A_Locomotive

Currently listening to Lebanese Blonde by Thievery Corporation.

geise

I have been in a metal mood all day.  So I've been listening to Theory In Practice - Colonizing the Sun.  Very good technical death metal.

sirhcman

Probably pretty unpopular given the nature of the group here but some good 80's progressive synth rock

IMG

Genesis - Invisible Touch

Favorite songs are "The Brazilian" & "Domino"

roflmao

I can't speak for the others, but I love Genesis.  One of my all time favorite live shows was seeing Peter Gabriel in '94.

MotherGunner

Genesis is the tits.  I have tons of their songs in FLAC.  Btw, can we spell "to" correctly?  =)
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

Starfighter

Bernie

SignOfZeta

I'm a huge fan of Peter Gabriel and Gabriel-era Genesis. I too enjoy the back side of Invisable Touch, but that album was kind of the death note for the band. People tend to be quite emotional about it.

It's kind of like Metalica's black album...although probably not that bad. Genesis went from a great prog rock band to a mediocre pop band. Metallica went from being so awesome and transformative that they were thought of as the future, possibly savior, of all metal to being...Satan's wet dream, spawning a million shitty NuRock bands that completely killed off anything like quality mainstream rock and roll.

Btw, today I'm listening to Lateef the Truthspeaker's first full length album. Why did this take so damned long to come about?
IMG

Jesse813

White Zombie - More Human Than Human

SuperPlay

Quote from: guest on 11/09/2011, 11:52 PMProbably pretty unpopular given the nature of the group here but some good 80's progressive synth rock

Genesis - Invisible Touch

Favorite songs are "The Brazilian" & "Domino"
Invisible Touch was my First CD that I purchased :-)

Just trying to think what my first Vinyl Album was ....... Not 100% but I am sure it was a second hand T-Rex Album.

SuperPlay

Friday night = ROCK NIGHT ;-)

Judas Priest:

A_Locomotive

エイの宇宙遊泳 STINGRAY by the band 9dw off their split album with the band Boris. Picked this up at a Boris show last night and am glad I did, its nothing like I'd have expected it to sound like.

nat

roflmao

Nice.  I wish Mr. Bungle would get back together and put out another album.  All of their stuff is awesome.

nat

In semi-Bungle related news, Faith No More has reunited and is currently playing shows in South America. Tonight they are playing the King for a Day album in its entirety, start to finish, in Chile.

Flare65

SignOfZeta

I got my LE of Doomtree's No Kings. Its fucking bad to the bone, and getting pretty popular, for that kind of record anyway. The fans seem to love it and it got an A- on the AV Club. I think there is a new POS coming out early next year too, so fans of twin cities hiphop should be happy for a while.

Anyone interested in the massive heap of work that is the Doomtree collective can check some of it out at Doomtree.net. You can stream No Kings for free here: http://music.aol.com/new-releases-full-cds/spinner#/14

Also, Around the Well (Iron and Wine), FireWire (Lateef the Truthspeaker), and the unfortunately named Watch Me Fall (Jay Reatard).
IMG

A_Locomotive

Listening to a Czech band I heard for the first time today called Saade. I'm absolutely loving their album, I'm listening to it in full on their bandcamp page. This track in particular I'm really digging.
http://saade.bandcamp.com/track/spaceland-neverland

SignOfZeta

IMG

A_Locomotive

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 11/27/2011, 03:10 AMI like this!
Assuming this is in regards to what I posted, give the whole album a listen, it is fantastic!
http://saade.bandcamp.com/

A_Locomotive

Having a vinyl marathon today. Currently listing to the final side of a 2xLP, Sein Weal Tallion Rue, the last album released by Everlovely Lightningheart. Up next is a collaborative album between Troum and Nadja.