@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

That movie you just watched

Started by Medic_wheat, 06/09/2014, 07:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NightWolve

Sounds about right for a Zoolander.  :lol: Yeah, I was like, really ? That thing got a sequel greenlit ? How was that possible ? Stiller still has some great movies and will always get a pass from me for making Tropic Thunder no matter how many flops!

o.pwuaioc

Zoolander the first one was amazing. Very layered, full of clever jokes, and the portraiture of the fashion industry is an excellent allegory for a good many industries out there, entertainment included.

I haven't seen the second one, but I'd be very let down if it dropped all what made the original great.

EvilEvoIX

Quote from: guest on 02/24/2016, 01:08 AMZoolander the first one was amazing. Very layered, full of clever jokes, and the portraiture of the fashion industry is an excellent allegory for a good many industries out there, entertainment included.

I haven't seen the second one, but I'd be very let down if it dropped all what made the original great.
Terrible plot, forced dialogue, death of a major character because they didn't want to be in the movie, forced "humor", I mean it's like a zoolander fan kidnapped the cast at gunpointcand forced them to make it on the spot.
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

NightWolve

Yeah, glancing at some reviews, it does appear this type of comedy is really hit or miss. Either finding it really stupid and in some cases willing to shut it off, or laughing your butt off. While I was able to finish watching the first one, I'm sore that I bought the DVD for it (because I saw Ben Stiller on the package and I usually love his type of comedy), just as I'm sore about having bought the Legally Blonde 1&2 DVDs.

Somebody did a Youtube video where they melted the Legally Blonde DVD in a microwave which I found hilarious given what I felt about the movie and it gives me a future idea for a videogame I wanna melt some day in a live video. You have to figure out what the safe settings are for your microwave though, cause at default max power, in just a few seconds you'll create a nasty, black puff cloud of smoke with plastic particulates going airborne fast!

I tested a DVD or DVD-R once, saw the internal sparks of the embedded material in the plastic and the reaction/production of smoke was fast... Pretty nasty clean up. I should've done my research first, gotten the low power adjustments needed for a slow, safe melt.

P.S.

When I feel like grabbing the 2nd one some time, I might try watching the 1st one again to see them both in order and possibly reevaluate what I think about it. I wonder if my opinion will change given what o.pwuaioc feels about it. Sometimes Will Ferrell is funny, like in "The Other Guys" which is a great action comedy with Mark Wahlberg, but other times he has that face you wanna punch and that annoying shtick gets on my nerves... In Zoolander, my sentiment was more in the "I wanna punch that guy" mode. ;)

seieienbu

As a general rule I'm not a fan of dumb comedy movies.  My friends made me watch Zoolander, uh, 15 years ago?  Maybe?  Whatever, I found it absolutely hilarious.  It did everything right from my perspective.  After reading this thread I think I'll avoid Zoolander 2 to avoid tarnishing my memory of the first.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

NightWolve

Watched "Oblivion" for the 10th time or so, but now in 1080p. I love everything about this movie like Tron​: Legacy!

Newcomer Director Joseph Kosinski (who directed Tron: Legacy) knows the importance of a great soundtrack both for viewer enjoyment and to set the tone of a scene. As a typical post-apocalyptic SciFi action film, the story's been told many times and in many different ways, but with the soundtrack complementing the feeling of desolation here, Tom Cruise​'s great performance (plus Morgan Freeman​), the whole look and feel, the path to discovering the truth of what really happened to the earth, him, the woman he sees in his dreams, etc. it's great storytelling a cut above the others.

Elements of the classic twist on the hero's journey, almost Twilight Zone-level, plus another for you the viewer, and the ultimate sacrifice he must make are here and while it's been done before, as mentioned, it's interesting and unique enough to keep you in your seat enjoying the ride. "Oblivion​" should be in every SciFi-lover's library!

Obligatory trailer/eye candy to go along cause the movie's worth it:
IMG

IMG

IMG

IMG

IMG

IMG

nectarsis

The Martian...LOADS better than Gravity or Interstellar....decent watch.

Straight Outta Compton...being a HUGE N.W.A. fan in the 90's I enjoyed it (def not worthy of all the over the top hype it received).  Some of the casting felt a tad off, but solid effort.
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:
blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436

NightWolve

Pan, another Peter Pan remake.

So I wondered about this given the bad reviews and I understand partly why... Early in the movie after pirate Captain Blackbeard captures Peter Pan from his WWII era orphanage, all of Blackbeard's pirates, slave miners, he himself, (thousands of people), break out into a...Nirvana song of all things...

Yes, Nirvana's "Smells like Teen Spirit" serves as the pirates' anthem believe it or not...  And they sing the lyrics very clearly making it the first time I ever made sense of the song... This out of place song sort of reminded me of Christian Slater saying "F--k me..." in Kevin Costner's Robinhood when he's sprung over the castle wall. It was funny but technically out of place for the time period.

Ultimately I did like the movie despite the weirdness of finding a Nirvana song in it. It's a very interesting back story exploring Peter Pan and Captain Hook starting out as friends/allies against Blackbeard, so it did do other things right and I don't think it deserved to be the major flop disaster that it was...

Hook was played by Garrett Hedlund who also played Sam Flynn in Tron Legacy. I like him but I think he had a so so performance in this, his acting was passable though a bit stiff...

Anyway, I would recommend the movie despite the negative reviews and issues. It does have some level of movie magic and is respectable.

Medic_wheat

Quote from: NightWolve on 04/10/2016, 08:05 PMPan, another Peter Pan remake.

So I wondered about this given the bad reviews and I understand partly why... Early in the movie after pirate Captain Blackbeard captures Peter Pan from his WWII era orphanage, all of Blackbeard's pirates, slave miners, he himself, (thousands of people), break out into a...Nirvana song of all things...

Yes, Nirvana's "Smells like Teen Spirit" serves as the pirates' anthem believe it or not...  And they sing the lyrics very clearly making it the first time I ever made sense of the song... This out of place song sort of reminded me of Christian Slater saying "F--k me..." in Kevin Costner's Robinhood when he's sprung over the castle wall. It was funny but technically out of place for the time period.

Ultimately I did like the movie despite the weirdness of finding a Nirvana song in it. It's a very interesting back story exploring Peter Pan and Captain Hook starting out as friends/allies against Blackbeard, so it did do other things right and I don't think it deserved to be the major flop disaster that it was...

Hook was played by Garrett Hedlund who also played Sam Flynn in Tron Legacy. I like him but I think he had a so so performance in this, his acting was passable though a bit stiff...

Anyway, I would recommend the movie despite the negative reviews and issues. It does have some level of movie magic and is respectable.
You just made me want to watch this movie. The trailers looked fantastic and the bad reviews surprised me. Granted I avoid the theaters for now what with a new borne.

The way you described the WWII aspects makes me think of the comic "Peter Panzerfaust".

Yeah.

It's Peter Pan set in WWII with hook as a Nazi. No magic or anything. It's a Image comic. I was very much into it but didn't continue past issue 12 because I had to shift money from comics. Hoping to shift a small monthly budget back to comics soon lol.

Medic_wheat

I FINALY saw Star Wars Force Awakens.

Kind of.

Son woke up towards the end of the movie. Although I still had it playing I was playing with the kid o.

So that means I only got the gist of what happened a for the later half of the movie.

esteban

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 04/11/2016, 09:41 AMI FINALY saw Star Wars Force Awakens.

Kind of.

Son woke up towards the end of the movie. Although I still had it playing I was playing with the kid o.

So that means I only got the gist of what happened a for the later half of the movie.
Ha!

I know exactly what that is like.

Good luck trying to finish the movie properly :)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

EvilEvoIX

Finally saw that Batman/Superman Movie.  Big Giant MEH!!!  Predictable, forced story, tired CGI battles, forced new character to set up new movies.  They should of just had two guys dressed as Batman & Superman asking for money as that would have been less dishonest than this obvious money grab.  Just not a good movie.
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

NightWolve

Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 04/12/2016, 10:21 PMThey should of just had two guys dressed as Batman & Superman asking for money as that would have been less dishonest than this obvious money grab.  Just not a good movie.
Yeah, I figured as much - Zach Snyder has just not had the same luck after 300 and Watchmen... I haven't liked any of his work after that - Man of Steel=Meh, a soulless remake not worthy of the Christopher Reeve and Richard Donner-directed original (but to be fair, the other remake sucked too, nobody has done better since), Sucker Punch (as in, YOU were the sucker if you paid good money to see that!), the sequel to 300 which was what you normally expect happens with sequels...

Looks like I'll be seeing his Dawn of the Dead pretty soon which I didn't even know he directed till I looked him up to refresh myself on his work. He did that before 300, wonder if it's good now so I'll move it up on my to-watch list.

Psycho Punch

I watched teh classic: the shining

It still is one of the best movies of its genre
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

xcrement5x

Just watched "The Martian" the other day and it was a hell of a good movie.  Been a long time since I was able to sit down for 2 and a half hours and watch something without my wife or kid bothering me so it was fun. 
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

wilykat

Almost worse than the older Batman movie with Clooney.

EvilEvoIX

Quote from: guest on 04/13/2016, 11:06 AMJust watched "The Martian" the other day and it was a hell of a good movie.  Been a long time since I was able to sit down for 2 and a half hours and watch something without my wife or kid bothering me so it was fun.
Pretty Good Comedy BTW!..

http://www.theverge.com/2016/1/10/10732126/golden-globes-2016-best-comedy-musical-the-martian-nonsense
IMGIMGIMG

NightWolve

That's funny, I didn't know about that. So the lengths they sometimes have to go through to ensure a movie gets some kind of an award...

esteban

Quote from: NightWolve on 04/16/2016, 05:30 PMThat's funny, I didn't about that. So the lengths they sometimes have to go through to ensure a movie gets some kind of an award...
I agree: enjoyable read. :)

NightWolve

This movie is seriously all kinds of awesome, see it, now!!!! :)

IMG

Digi.k

Quote from: NightWolve on 05/03/2016, 11:09 PMThis movie is seriously all kinds of awesome, see it, now!!!! :)

IMG
I've seen it I actually think this this perhaps the best Marvel movie ever as of now and more enjoyable (plus it doesn't take itself too seriously)  than the latest Captain America: Civil War which although I thought was good it moved too slowly.

NightWolve

Quote from: Digi.k on 05/03/2016, 11:39 PMand more enjoyable (plus it doesn't take itself too seriously)  than the latest Captain America: Civil War which although I thought was good it moved too slowly.
Yeah, I wanna see that also. The previous Winter Soldier was an interesting use of Robert Redford since Spy Game (a really great movie with Brad Pitt also, directed by Ridley Scott's brother!), and I'd say it was a bit better than the first one, so always good to see the bad sequel tradition broken now and then.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/captain-america-civil-war-is-the-fantastic-avengers-mo-1774531191

P.S. Eh, truth is, I just wanna see Bucky bust some heads!

Digi.k

Just saw Zootopia/Zootropolis.  Perhaps the best Disney movie they have made in a while.

HailingTheThings

Cowboys & Aliens. Better than I thought it would be, but not that great of a movie. Harrison Ford was cute, as was Olivia Wilde.
IMG

Opethian

IMG

Medic_wheat

Quote from: Opethian on 05/23/2016, 08:21 PMIMG
I have heard of this "arrow" company and their DVD and at times bluray releases.

I am somewhat ignorant of them as a whole.

Is it that they release movies never before released on DVD/bluray that makes their stuff so desirable?  Or they just have pretty packaging and art?

TheClash603

How come I watch Grosse Point Blank every time it's on tv?  Because it's awesome, that's why.

gheebee

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 05/23/2016, 09:01 PMI have heard of this "arrow" company and their DVD and at times bluray releases.

I am somewhat ignorant of them as a whole.

Is it that they release movies never before released on DVD/bluray that makes their stuff so desirable?  Or they just have pretty packaging and art?
Some of their movies were never on DVD but a lot of them are BD upgrades of titles that were on DVD. Occasionally they'll do some fancy packaging but the big appeal is the quality of the work they put out these days. In the beginning their quality was pretty hit and miss but now they're one of the best cult labels out there.

gheebee

Today I watched the entire extended Stieg Larsson Millenium trilogy; the 9 hours just flew by!

Opethian

This is my first Arrow release and its pretty good the job they did with the transfer and the extras. Plus its cheaper than buying the DVD boxset.
IMG

Digi.k

They showing Beverly Hills Cop on TV.  I can't get over how awesome the soundtrack is..

Dat Axel F

esteban

Quote from: Digi.k on 06/03/2016, 07:53 PMThey showing Beverly Hills Cop on TV.  I can't get over how awesome the soundtrack is..

Dat Axel F
Yup. I watched that again with my daughter. It was still a fun, enjoyable film.

And I love Fletch, too.

I am not the biggest fan of Chevy Chase, but that movie is great. Atmosphere, pacing, soundtrack, Chevy as JB Harold....

wildfruit

Quote from: Digi.k on 06/03/2016, 07:53 PMThey showing Beverly Hills Cop on TV.  I can't get over how awesome the soundtrack is..

Dat Axel F
I watched all 3 over the last couple of weeks. Eddie Murphy is astounding. Number 3 is a bit meh but o well.
I also watched inception. Self indulgent tripe.

NightWolve

Warbucks

Just watched Captain America: Civil War

It was a lot better then I expected, the action scenes were awesome!

Medic_wheat

The wife and I just watched:

Zootopia. It was very enjoyable will most likely but it for the boys budding Disney movie collection. Sure he is to young to enjoy or watch well anythjng really bejng that he is one. But Disney is one of those companies that likes to put things "in the vault". So usually best to pick up their movies when available versus later.

We also re-watched another Disney movie Aladin. On VHS. Why?  It was a dolar at a used book store. Lol.

NightWolve

Also watched Zootopia recently. Not the best Disney production I've seen, but it was alright.

wilykat

Dragon Heart 3. I liked the first one, the second one was meh. Never saw 3rd one but I got the used DVD for only $2.  If it blows, I can always sell it for $2, basically legal rent-free video rental  :mrgreen:

crazydean

Quote from: NightWolve on 06/17/2016, 07:44 PMAlso watched Zootopia recently. Not the best Disney production I've seen, but it was alright.
Agreed.

Captain America: Civil War is great, but only if you have kept up with the entire cinematic universe. Otherwise, you will have no idea what's going on.

Also, Deadpool and Ant-Man are two of the best superhero movies to come out so far.

NightWolve

So the new Girl Ghostbusters is out, was wondering if anybody here is interested in seeing it ?

There has been a lot of shenanigans around this movie, sadly. Basically, after they put out 2 shitty trailers that were 100% horrible/unfunny and the criticism followed, they decided to hide behind general sexism and portray this as an underdog fighting against the "brutes" of the Internet. They got political, accused critics of being Trump voters (a way to use the movie to defeat his candidacy and objectively alienate half the country in stupid fashion), and Angry Video Game Nerd was targeted and attacked as a "soft sexist" (he's a sexist because we say so, even if he doesn't know it!) for simply stating he'll refuse to see/review it.

I'll give it a chance when it comes out on video, but based on those trailers and all the shenanigans, I wouldn't spend a penny on it. It'll be interesting to see what the box office results of this are though.

Anyway, if somebody sees it, I wanted to hear what you think, cause yeah, it sure didn't look good from those trailers! It's their job to sell a movie with a trailer, and based on those 2 trailers, they have mostly themselves to blame not AVGN and whatever other bullshit they wanna hide behind.
- Contrast of how Star Wars fans were treated versus GB fans.

Psycho Punch

I didn't even like the original Ghostbusters that much. From the trailers it seemed like your usual formulaic comedy that hollywood loves to make, plus CGI.

I may watch it later when it appears on streaming services.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

TR0N

This earlier on netflik.
Part two was kind of a let down but three is a improvement.Still it's ending is rather bitter sweet to say at least which hit home for me.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

NightWolve

Fans cut a somewhat better trailer of Ghostbusters than Sony did... Short, crappy parts were cut out (although too late, we know they're in there), original GB theme music, etc. Does make a difference if you compare the originals...

mitsuman

IMG

Watched about half of this. Then my kids and wife came in and started being loud. I'll finish it later.
I also want to find the movie about Moog and watch it.

NightWolve

Saw "Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice" a few days ago. I like one of the pans for it, that it's almost a cool Batman movie trapped in a shitty Superman sequel. Heh.

Honestly, I think I might watch it again though. It's Bollywood 3 hour style, so it does drag a bit at parts. It doesn't invoke what I felt for Zack Snyder's work in 300 or Watchmen, but it kept me interested and it's better than "Man of Steel" certainly which was forgettable to me. I just really do not like their new take on Superman compared to the Christopher Reeve version.

Anyway, I leave you with an "honest trailer" of it. This is spoiler-y, so avoid if you plan to watch it or don't care.

bob

if you have netflix and you like outdoors stuff, you need to check out The Barkley Marathons.
its sadistic what these guys have to do for 100 miles through the woods.

mitsuman

Just finished watching this. Pretty decent documentary.

IMG

ToyMachine78

I love documentaries. This pic reminds me of Kumare.

Its about a normal joe schmoe that pretends to be a yogi guru, and gets a huge following. Great movie. Used to be on Netflix, think it's on Amazon prime now.

mitsuman

Quote from: guest on 07/20/2016, 09:10 PMI love documentaries. This pic reminds me of Kumare.

Its about a normal joe schmoe that pretends to be a yogi guru, and gets a huge following. Great movie. Used to be on Netflix, think it's on Amazon prime now.
I'll have to look for it

majors

IMG
A has-been slacker medalist in small town that loves her, has a chance to help an up and coming star. "Bernadette" has a potty mouth and low morals. Fun flick, reminds me of Trainwreck.
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)