OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

Red Dwarf XI

Started by Otaking, 08/19/2016, 07:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Otaking

Not sure if there's many Red Dwarf fans on here so maybe zero fucks will be given.
But new series is coming September 22nd

http://www.darkhorizons.com/tv-news-dwarf-amy-mirror-tick-johnson/

IMG

IMG

IMG

IMG

IMG

IMG

IMG

IMG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86jH2UQmvKY&t=812s
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

esteban

I have not seen the last few seasons, but I will get back to rewatching the entire series from the beginning one of these years.

I had started to rewatch the early seasons back in the late 90's since they were on videotape (!!!), and I remember them holding up better than I had anticipated.

I learned what smegma was BITD courtesy Red Dwarf.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

SignOfZeta

It's worse every season after the first couple, but I'll watch whatever they make.
IMG

TR0N

What zeta said earlier season very funny but the later ones meh.I hope this latest one turns out good other wise you smeg head !!
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

wildfruit

I disagree in part. I & II are very different to the rest. They create the sense of isolation very well. I do enjoy them but V & VI are comedy masterpieces.
VII is toilet.
While we're on the revival train I'm excited for new das boot mini series coming.
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/das-boot-sequel-tv-series-miniseries-wolfgang-petersen-u-boat-das-boot-2-a7113066.html

esteban

Quote from: wildfruit on 08/20/2016, 04:15 AMI disagree in part. I & II are very different to the rest. They create the sense of isolation very well. I do enjoy them but V & VI are comedy masterpieces.
VII is toilet.
While we're on the revival train I'm excited for new das boot mini series coming.
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/das-boot-sequel-tv-series-miniseries-wolfgang-petersen-u-boat-das-boot-2-a7113066.html
I watched Das Boot as a kid. I still remember how stressed out I felt.

Then I bought Das DVD... And it was just as stressful.

Das truth.

SignOfZeta

If you thought the movie was stressful wait until you watch it as a 100 hour TV series.

I don't know why anyone would "reboat" Das Boot, or why it would be considered franchise material in the first place, honestly. I have nothing against the movie, but I never wanted massively more Das Boot.
IMG

wildfruit

I have the almost 5hr version on DVD and the movie on blu ray. I've watched it at least 20 times. My first encounter was the full version as a mini series on BBC 2.

blueraven

:shock: SMEG I can't wait for this!!!!!!!!  ](*,) ](*,) :mrgreen: :dance:

Thanks for the Heads up, Otaking!

There is at least ONE fuck being given

_Paul

wildfruit

Spin my nipple nuts and send me to Alaska.

esteban

NecroPhile

I love me some Red Dwarf, though I'm sure I'll have a good long wait 'til it's available (legally) in the US.

I definitely disagree about 'em getting progressively worse, though, seeing as the last series was far better than the couple before it.

"Jesus!"

"Yes?"
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

blueraven

Quote from: wildfruit on 08/20/2016, 07:38 PMSpin my nipple nuts and send me to Alaska.
:lol: One of the best lines ever from the series

Quote from: guest on 08/20/2016, 03:26 PMSmee Hee
Everyone needs to watch this :)

Quote from: guest on 08/22/2016, 09:54 AMI love me some Red Dwarf, though I'm sure I'll have a good long wait 'til it's available (legally) in the US.

I definitely disagree about 'em getting progressively worse, though, seeing as the last series was far better than the couple before it.

"Jesus!"

"Yes?"
Necro, I agree. The season where they broke the 4th wall was terrible, and only about 4 episodes long. When they went and visited the head of the Fan Club I was struggling to get through the season. As a hardcaw fan, I admit, it was fucking terrible. The Kachansky plotline was pretty weak, but it explain Listers psychosis a bit. The season after (7? 8?) redeemed the series for me, and I'm following all of the actors on twitter now.

wildfruit

Quote from: guest on 08/22/2016, 09:54 AMI love me some Red Dwarf, though I'm sure I'll have a good long wait 'til it's available (legally) in the US.

"Jesus!"

"Yes?"
The DVDs can be had for less than ÂŁ1 per series second hand. I could collect them up and send them over in exchange for a shitty game or something if you wanted.

blueraven

Quote from: wildfruit on 08/22/2016, 01:08 PMThe DVDs can be had for less than ÂŁ1 per series second hand. I could collect them up and send them over in exchange for a shitty game or something if you wanted.
:shock: I know that post was for Necro... that would be.... AWESOME

Def. hard to find over here. I'd trade you a game for them in a heartbeat..., but wouldn't it be PAL?

Netflix dropped streaming of RD about a year ago, and I haven't been able to get my fix.

NecroPhile

Quote from: wildfruit on 08/22/2016, 01:08 PMThe DVDs can be had for less than ÂŁ1 per series second hand. I could collect them up and send them over in exchange for a shitty game or something if you wanted.
Thanks for the offer, but I've already got seasons 1-10.  We get 'em all on DVD eventually, but there's a few months delay between airing in UK and shipping of discs here.

<< edit >>

IMG

I hope it gets enough votes and goes into production some day.  I'd definitely buy some Red Dwarf Legos to go with my Lego Tardis.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

wildfruit

Don't forget chaps, the TV broadcast is next week. But if you can't wait and you're in uk, or pretend to be behind some shady vpn, you can watch it tomorrow. http://www.reddwarf.co.uk/news/2016/09/09/xi-on-play/

esteban

Quote from: wildfruit on 09/14/2016, 05:42 PMDon't forget chaps, the TV broadcast is next week. But if you can't wait and you're in uk, or pretend to be behind some shady vpn, you can watch it tomorrow. http://www.reddwarf.co.uk/news/2016/09/09/xi-on-play/
I'm gonna try to spoof that I am in Dagenham or Brighton (or Brixton).

Galder

Awesome, I have always been a big fan of the robot!

Otaking

Quote from: wildfruit on 09/14/2016, 05:42 PMDon't forget chaps, the TV broadcast is next week. But if you can't wait and you're in uk, or pretend to be behind some shady vpn, you can watch it tomorrow. http://www.reddwarf.co.uk/news/2016/09/09/xi-on-play/
Interesting, gonna check that out later when I sit down to watch TV.
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

wildfruit

More battered than a Scottish mars bar.

Otaking

Just watched it, was a good episode, looking forward to the rest of the series.

khyron65

Of course I am a fan of Red Dwarf but there is a turbo connection as well for me. Sometime back in the mid 90s they started showing Red Dwarf in the US on PBS stations, it was on from 11pm to 12pm if I remember correctly. I watched the first few seasons on my Turboexpress!!!! It was my nightly ritual for awhile, lay in bed and watch Red Dwarf! I used to just play some games before bed but one night for whatever reason I decided to use my tuner and watch some TV and there it was.

Man. That brought on the feels

wildfruit

Quote from: Otaking on 09/15/2016, 04:57 PMJust watched it, was a good episode, looking forward to the rest of the series.
I'm not sure if I found it too fast paced or not. I think I need to watch it again. No adverts was a big plus though.
Quote from: khyron65 on 09/15/2016, 05:28 PMI watched the first few seasons on my Turboexpress!!!!
That is awesomness defined.

khyron65

Quote from: wildfruit on 09/15/2016, 05:31 PM
Quote from: Otaking on 09/15/2016, 04:57 PMJust watched it, was a good episode, looking forward to the rest of the series.
I'm not sure if I found it too fast paced or not. I think I need to watch it again. No adverts was a big plus though.
Quote from: khyron65 on 09/15/2016, 05:28 PMI watched the first few seasons on my Turboexpress!!!!
Yean man. I got my friends into it and we have been big fans since! I saw this thread and was like "If ever anyone would be interested in exactly how I saw my first episode it would be this place" lol

blueraven

Quote from: wildfruit on 09/15/2016, 05:31 PM
Truly. Wow.

wildfruit

2nd episode was great. Much better than the 1st, a real treat.

esteban

Quote from: wildfruit on 09/24/2016, 03:19 AM2nd episode was great. Much better than the 1st, a real treat.
Stop teasing. I still haven't watched any season post-1995? Yup.

wildfruit

Quote from: esteban on 09/24/2016, 06:37 AM
Quote from: wildfruit on 09/24/2016, 03:19 AM2nd episode was great. Much better than the 1st, a real treat.
You really must catch up

esteban

Quote from: wildfruit on 09/24/2016, 02:04 PM
Quote from: esteban on 09/24/2016, 06:37 AM
You really must catch up
I'm gong to check if Amazon/Hulu/Netflix has any seasons.

I will report back promptly.

:)

blueraven

Not for streaming.

You have to get the DVD plan and Netflix will send you all of the seasons. The WERE available to stream, but only up till season 6, and that stopped a few years ago.

Not sure about Hulu and Amazon.

esteban

Quote from: blueraven on 09/25/2016, 03:01 AMNot for streaming.

You have to get the DVD plan and Netflix will send you all of the seasons. The WERE available to stream, but only up till season 6, and that stopped a few years ago.

Not sure about Hulu and Amazon.
Used to have a whole bunch of episodes on video tape (first 3 seasons).

wildfruit

Try a cheap VPN. Seasons 1-8 are permanently on uk Netflix

Otaking

I enjoyed the second episode, I think it had a great plot, reminds me of some of the old classic episodes.

wildfruit

Quote from: Otaking on 09/28/2016, 08:00 PMI enjoyed the second episode, I think it had a great plot, reminds me of some of the old classic episodes.
Indeed. Third episode tonight.

Otaking

"Captain Bollocks"

elmer

For those that love the old Red Dwarf theme tune ... here's a 1980's music video featuring the guy that wrote it (on keyboards), together with Trevor Horn (the guy on bass, and the producer of the song, who also wrote/recorded "Video Killed The Radio Star") ...

blueraven

Quote from: wildfruit on 09/25/2016, 04:58 PMTry a cheap VPN. Seasons 1-8 are permanently on uk Netflix
Thats... awesome. I wish that was the case here.

wildfruit

esteban

Quote from: elmer on 10/01/2016, 02:21 AMFor those that love the old Red Dwarf theme tune ... here's a 1980's music video featuring the guy that wrote it (on keyboards), together with Trevor Horn (the guy on bass, and the producer of the song, who also wrote/recorded "Video Killed The Radio Star") ...
That KEYBOARDIST wrote Red Dwarf tune ?!?!?

Awesome.

I love your post because I had *never* heard this song, and because this damn song/video is the nexus of:

* Trevor Horn (Art of Noise, correct? In addition to Buggles...)

* Gorgeous Vapid Blondes, 80's style (male and female singers) contrast awkwardly with musicians playing instruments. The juxtaposition is delightful—Le Sexy share the stage with Le Anti-Sexy.

* Red Dwarf

...and the song, actually, isn't so bad, as far as bland pop goes. I actually listened to this several times in succession and I like it far more than I should. I am singing along to the chorus now...again! Why?

blueraven

Netflix doesnt really get that there are Americans that are into British shows. The complete lack of Red Dwarf and Dr. Who is shameful, and if I had more time, I would write to them and express my grievances. I also wish that they had more British sitcoms, and shows like "Frost", instead I get to see every Adam Sandler movie, and every 1-star flick with Jason Statham.

Quote from: wildfruit on 09/25/2016, 04:58 PMTry a cheap VPN. Seasons 1-8 are permanently on uk Netflix
I would do this, wildfruit, but I don't have the time right now to figure out how to use a VPN (I know, I'm stupid) and the internet access at my house is shoddy right now, so it wouldnt even be worth it. I'd have better luck going to the library at this point.

Quote from: elmer on 10/01/2016, 02:21 AMFor those that love the old Red Dwarf theme tune ... here's a 1980's music video featuring the guy that wrote it (on keyboards), together with Trevor Horn (the guy on bass, and the producer of the song, who also wrote/recorded "Video Killed The Radio Star") ...
Thanks for this, elmer. I was wondering if the two were related, as the first season (all seasons i guess lol) music was eerily familiar... I also remember seeing this video on top of the pops bitd, and wondering "what the fuck is up with the pseudo-captain's oufits?"

Quote from: esteban on 10/01/2016, 05:53 AM* Red Dwarf
I spent most of the summer trying to get my group of friends, (who are die-hard Trekkies) to get into Red Dwarf. I brought over the first season, and explained that it was the greatest space opera ever. They scoffed. After episode 3 they were hooked. Cat sealed the deal for one friend of mine, and Lister the other. Hatred of Rimmer was unanimous. When Kryten appeared in the beginning of Season 2, and Lister helped him overcome his lying programming, they started referring to people as a Smeg-heads :lol:
When I moved out they went back to TNG. Such a shame.

NightWolve

Quote from: blueraven on 10/01/2016, 08:39 PMNetflix doesnt really get that there are Americans that are into British shows.
Bring Mr. Bean! I own the full DVD set actually, when I'd visit my dad growing up at his place, he found it on a local station and we'd watch it together on occasion. Good stuff! :)

esteban

Blueraven: :) the entire concept of "Cat" won me over, bitd. But I still resented the fact that one episode of Red Dwarf had a bigger budget than an entire season of Dr. Who.  I eventually got over it, ha!

it's cold outside...

Nightwolve: I love Mr. Bean because it's totally OK to watch in front of the kids. Check out Mr Hulot's Holiday (there are a series of films, I forget how folks refer to all of them) and report back.

elmer

Quote from: esteban on 10/01/2016, 05:53 AMThat KEYBOARDIST wrote Red Dwarf tune ?!?!?
Yep!  :wink:

Quote from: esteban on 10/01/2016, 05:53 AM* Trevor Horn (Art of Noise, correct? In addition to Buggles...)
A veritable God in the 1980's music scene.

"Dollar" was one of the first bands that he worked with as a producer in the 1980s when he was transitioning away from being front-of-house as The Buggles into being the guy that was behind other-people's fame (like Art of Noise, ABC, Seal, etc).

Quote from: esteban on 10/01/2016, 05:53 AM* Gorgeous Vapid Blondes, 80's style (male and female singers) contrast awkwardly with musicians playing instruments. The juxtaposition is delightful—Le Sexy share the stage with Le Anti-Sexy.
I definitely had a strong hormonal reaction to seeing Thereza Bazar when I was a teenager. ;-)

As for the "vapid" bit, well this article says it all ...

"Is this the vainest has-been in pop?"
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2323579/Is-vainest-pop-Ex-Dollar-star-David-Van-Day-wife-hope-30k-n-plastic-surgery-earn-unlikely-comeback.html

Quote from: esteban on 10/01/2016, 05:53 AM...and the song, actually, isn't so bad, as far as bland pop goes. I actually listened to this several times in succession and I like it far more than I should. I am singing along to the chorus now...again! Why?
Yep ... I don't know WTF it is, but 35 years after hearing that song, I still like it, and find myself humming it, and the darned thing is just meaningless bland pop.

But it's just so damned good at being "just meaningless bland pop" that it transcends the boundaries of space and time!  :lol:

Quote from: blueraven on 10/01/2016, 08:39 PMI also remember seeing this video on top of the pops bitd, and wondering "what the fuck is up with the pseudo-captain's oufits?"
Ah ... a classic early 1980's band attempt to pull off the New Romantic style.

"Adam and the Ants" but without the bravura to carry it off.

Quote from: blueraven on 10/01/2016, 08:39 PMI spent most of the summer trying to get my group of friends, (who are die-hard Trekkies) to get into Red Dwarf. I brought over the first season, and explained that it was the greatest space opera ever. They scoffed. After episode 3 they were hooked.
Early Red Dwarf is amazingly good. But, IMHO, it jumped-the-shark after a few seasons.

I hear that the newer reboot/shows are quite good, but haven't seen them since I live in the cultural-wasteland of LA these days, and my favorite English-TV website "theBox.bz" was shut down a few years ago.

<EDIT>

Quote from: esteban on 10/01/2016, 09:52 PMNightwolve: I love Mr. Bean because it's totally OK to watch in front of the kids. Check out Mr Hulot's Holiday (there are a series of films, I forget how folks refer to all of them) and report back.
I can't stand "Mr Bean", but you get 1 meelion Brownie Points for mentioning "Mr Hulot's Holiday"!

A similar style of thing ... but done so much better!

Rowan Atkinson's mugging for the camera really spoiled "Mr Bean" for me.