Hello from San Diego

Started by Gredler, 02/10/2015, 03:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gredler

Hi everyone I'm Greg from San Diego CA USA. I found the site through Atari Age, and am quickly becoming addicted to reading the forum's threads. Such a wealth of information, I really appreciate it being available and for everyone's contributions. Thanks for allowing me to join, and to partake!

I got my TG-16 on super discount at a "Woolworths" here when they were liquidating systems and my parents considered it a good deal. I played the heck out of it as a kid, because it was a major upgrade from my NES at the time. I initially only had Bonk and Vigilante, but later got Pac-Land, Parasol Stars, Tail Spin, Bonk's Revenge, and Fantasy Zone. The included Keith Courage was fun, but too difficult for me as a kid and I never got far in it. Recently I unpacked the old console to try out some games I picked up from other forums, attempting to see what I had missed, and it sparked a new fire of wanting to try more and more that I had missed.

The first game I tried, which I am sickened that I had missed as a kid, may surprise you - TV Sports Hockey. I am a huge hockey fan, and was amazed by the graphics and gameplay, especially considering the year. This game is as good (or better, in ways) as the EA games, and makes me wonder if they had used TV Sports Hockey as their reference when building their game. I had a blast playing it, so I figured I should try out some more commonly considered good games, and I picked up Legendary Axe. What a blast that game is, and again I can't believe I missed it as a kid. I am getting more and more excited to see what else is out there I may've missed.

Unfortunately my Fantasy Zone, Parasol Stars, and Pac Land games were taken by a visitor when I was young, so I will need to replace those if I want to play them again. I have already picked up a loose cheap copy of Pac Land, that game is... interesting. Once I got acclimated to the odd control setup, it was actually kind of fun and weird.

I am currently considering picking up a PC-Engine Duo or -r -rx so that I can get import copies of hue card games to save on costs, and play all regions of CD based games - none of which I've ever tried.

This site is really inspiring, and it's great to know that there's such a cool community supporting the console that I used to consider weird and obscure, but apparently I wasn't the only one around singing it's praises. Thanks again, and I look forward to getting to know you all.

NecroPhile

Welcome aboard!

You definitely need to get a Duo eventually, and have you tried the alternate control option in Pac Land?  I find it much easier to play using a button instead of up for jump.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Gredler

Thanks! I have not tried the alternate control options in Pac Land. The replacement copy I got did not have case and manual, when I was a kid I don't remember seeing it in the manual if I read it, and I have not researched the game at all since getting it replaced. It would be a lot easier if the buttons were more traditional! Fun game though none the less. Great for when kids are over and I want to put something with simplistic grafx on :)

EvilEvoIX

Welcome, a DuoR is a great choice.  Building a Proper Turbo CD system is expensive while a Duo is a much better Avenue.

Enjoy and Welcome!
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

esteban

Quote from: Gredler on 02/10/2015, 03:58 PMThanks! I have not tried the alternate control options in Pac Land. The replacement copy I got did not have case and manual, when I was a kid I don't remember seeing it in the manual if I read it, and I have not researched the game at all since getting it replaced. It would be a lot easier if the buttons were more traditional! Fun game though none the less. Great for when kids are over and I want to put something with simplistic grafx on :)
Welcome, comrade. I like Pac Land, too.

This is an example of how you benefit from the folks here. :)

Simple things can make a big difference: Pac Land is far superior with buttons, IMHO.

The fact that you enjoyed Pac Land reveals that you are willing to give games a chance before tossing them....the TG-16 and PCE have many great games that need a chance to be appreciated.

Don't hesitate to ask questions and share your thoughts.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

roflmao

Welcome! Pac Land gets a bad rap, but it can be a ton of fun.

And there are soooo many even more fun games for the console waiting for you to discover. You'll eventually want to region mod your console (or pick up a PCE) because there's so much more awesomeness that came out on the other side of the pond.

Last few times I've been to San Diego (it's been a couple of years now) both of the Luna game shops carried a bit of Turbografx-16 stuff so you may want to see if they still do.

HailingTheThings

Welcome Hockey-Fan-Guy!!!

Pac-Land is tits!

Pac-Landian tits!*

*Yellow, very yellow boobs that, when no one is looking, go "[DOB-DOB-DOB]."

IMG
IMG

cjameslv

Welcome, i would recommend the pc engine duo route and a turbo everdrive to get started. Then you can try all the hucard games, see what you like and start collecting it.

Sarumaru

Welcome to the board!

Word of advice... Deep Blue. The only Huey you'll ever need or want.

HailingTheThings

^^

Seriously, trust this guy, someone with such a pretty avatar would never steeeeer you in any direction other than riiiiiight. hehe
IMG

Gredler

After further investigation I do believe this suggestion for Deep Blue to be sarcastic and an attempt to lead me astray!  :shock:  I do appreciate obscure suggestions, but will likely try to pick up some more notable shooters first!

Speaking of notable shooters, I recently tried to join in on a raffle on the forums for Blazing Lasers, but I am not sure I will be allowed because of the infancy of my membership.

Also shooter related, I have my eye on a copy of Ordyne being offered on the for sale forum, along with a copy of Side Arms that the user is also selling. I haven't bit the bullet yet, as my next purchase is going to be Ninja Spirit from a person on another forum. I am excited to get some Ninja Action on my TG 16 - up until this point the closest thing to a Turbo Ninja game is Vigilante, so I am amped to try out a game that is praised as a classic on top of already having Ninja points.

Thanks so much for the warm welcome, everyone here seems to be super nice. I am excited to find another community online that is not a closed door institution, the acceptance of new members is refreshing and awesome - thanks everyone!

esteban

Quote from: Gredler on 02/17/2015, 02:45 PMAfter further investigation I do believe this suggestion for Deep Blue to be sarcastic and an attempt to lead me astray!  :shock:  I do appreciate obscure suggestions, but will likely try to pick up some more notable shooters first!

Speaking of notable shooters, I recently tried to join in on a raffle on the forums for Blazing Lasers, but I am not sure I will be allowed because of the infancy of my membership.

Also shooter related, I have my eye on a copy of Ordyne being offered on the for sale forum, along with a copy of Side Arms that the user is also selling. I haven't bit the bullet yet, as my next purchase is going to be Ninja Spirit from a person on another forum. I am excited to get some Ninja Action on my TG 16 - up until this point the closest thing to a Turbo Ninja game is Vigilante, so I am amped to try out a game that is praised as a classic on top of already having Ninja points.

Thanks so much for the warm welcome, everyone here seems to be super nice. I am excited to find another community online that is not a closed door institution, the acceptance of new members is refreshing and awesome - thanks everyone!
Sidearms is better than (and more challenging than)  Ordyne, but most folks say ORDYNE is decent (if you don't mind cute-em-ups).

Stay away from Deep Blue.

Ninja Spirit is fun.

I used to think Vigilante was mediocre, but over the years I have grown fond of it.

I love Blazing Lazers, but Stage 2 can get boring...otherwise, I think it holds up well (the usual criticisms of Compile games still apply, if you approach the game that way, but I don't mind).

Gredler

You must be selling them, because you're selling me! Hahaha in all honestly, I'd really like to get a great shmup to play on the system. The hit box in Dragon Spirit is just so large it's easy to get frustrated. I played the NES version a lot to compare and contrast the two over the weekend, and was amazed at the amount of differences between the two platforms. The music and graphics are significantly better on the Turbo, but the story and game play on the NES enticed me more. I might bite the bullet on Side Arms this weekend if they're still available, I need to try out something new!! :D

o.pwuaioc

Nice of you to finally find your way here, buddy. Of course, I'm going to take credit for your arrival.  :mrgreen:

And bah, c'mon, Dragon Spirit is not that hard! Cyber Core is a pretty easy shmup for beginners, too.

Gredler

Quote from: guest on 02/17/2015, 08:03 PMNice of you to finally find your way here, buddy. Of course, I'm going to take credit for your arrival.  :mrgreen:

And bah, c'mon, Dragon Spirit is not that hard! Cyber Core is a pretty easy shmup for beginners, too.
Oh hohoho Thanks, rookie shmupper over here!! :D I'll take all the beginner friendly suggestions I can get! ;)

TurboGrafx

esteban

Quote from: Gredler on 02/17/2015, 08:10 PM
Quote from: guest on 02/17/2015, 08:03 PMNice of you to finally find your way here, buddy. Of course, I'm going to take credit for your arrival.  :mrgreen:

Oh hohoho Thanks, rookie shmupper over here!! :D I'll take all the beginner friendly suggestions I can get! ;)
Comrade, you should definitely buy SideArms...but be forewarned: it is challenging and the power-up system is like Capcom's 194X series (I think the system is cumbersome, but it certainly isn't a deal-breaker).

Gredler

Quote from: esteban on 02/19/2015, 03:23 PM

Comrade, you should definitely buy SideArms...but be forewarned: it is challenging and the power-up system is like Capcom's 194X series (I think the system is cumbersome, but it certainly isn't a deal-breaker).
Thanks for the encouragement! I recently picked up Ninja Spirits, and was blessed to have won Blazing Lasers from a raffle here, so I will probably sink a bunch of time into those before flooding my backlog for the system too much :) I really enjoy Sector Z on NES and Forgotten Worlds on Genesis, so I think that Side Arms will be right up my alley.

I did have a couple questions for you all, if you can spare a suggestion.

The copy of Ninja Spirit I got came with the box (outer cardboard box) This is the only box I have for TG-16 (except for my console box) and I don't think I want to go down the rabbit hole of having boxes for my games. Is that something that I can raffle away here, or am I too new to do an raffle, or is that something too insignificant to raffle off?

Also, I would like to post my opinions of these games I missed out on from their era, and wondered if I should start a thread about it. Would it annoy many people, or is that something that might be enjoyable to read? Maybe I should search for threads about specific games, and contribute to those, or create a separate blog and link to them in this thread? I don't want to flood the boards with needless opinions and information, but thought it might be a nice way to contribute to the community.

Thanks for the suggestions and warm welcome again, it's so nice to find another friendly forum - a rare thing on the internet!

esteban

Quote from: Gredler on 03/04/2015, 06:35 PM
Quote from: esteban on 02/19/2015, 03:23 PM

Thanks for the encouragement! I recently picked up Ninja Spirits, and was blessed to have won Blazing Lasers from a raffle here, so I will probably sink a bunch of time into those before flooding my backlog for the system too much :) I really enjoy Sector Z on NES and Forgotten Worlds on Genesis, so I think that Side Arms will be right up my alley.

I did have a couple questions for you all, if you can spare a suggestion.

The copy of Ninja Spirit I got came with the box (outer cardboard box) This is the only box I have for TG-16 (except for my console box) and I don't think I want to go down the rabbit hole of having boxes for my games. Is that something that I can raffle away here, or am I too new to do an raffle, or is that something too insignificant to raffle off?

Also, I would like to post my opinions of these games I missed out on from their era, and wondered if I should start a thread about it. Would it annoy many people, or is that something that might be enjoyable to read? Maybe I should search for threads about specific games, and contribute to those, or create a separate blog and link to them in this thread? I don't want to flood the boards with needless opinions and information, but thought it might be a nice way to contribute to the community.

Thanks for the suggestions and warm welcome again, it's so nice to find another friendly forum - a rare thing on the internet!
(1) Folks will pay for cardboard box, so it is significant (especially for a popular, much-loved game like Ninja Spirit). I'd raffle it, but that's your call.

(2) Many of us would love to hear your thoughts on games. Starting a thread would be the best way to keep your reviews/impressions organized...but feel free to add your brief thoughts to other threads (when appropriate).

(3) Go ahead. Do it. :)

(4) Now.

NecroPhile

Quote from: Gredler on 03/04/2015, 06:35 PMThe copy of Ninja Spirit I got came with the box (outer cardboard box) This is the only box I have for TG-16 (except for my console box) and I don't think I want to go down the rabbit hole of having boxes for my games. Is that something that I can raffle away here, or am I too new to do an raffle, or is that something too insignificant to raffle off?
You certainly can raffle it off..... or just send it to me.  :mrgreen:

Quote from: Gredler on 03/04/2015, 06:35 PMAlso, I would like to post my opinions of these games I missed out on from their era, and wondered if I should start a thread about it. Would it annoy many people, or is that something that might be enjoyable to read? Maybe I should search for threads about specific games, and contribute to those, or create a separate blog and link to them in this thread? I don't want to flood the boards with needless opinions and information, but thought it might be a nice way to contribute to the community.
More game discussion is always good, but unless you have an eidetic memory, please don't post your thoughts about games you've not played in years.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Gredler

Quote from: guest on 03/05/2015, 02:32 PM
Quote from: Gredler on 03/04/2015, 06:35 PMThe copy of Ninja Spirit I got came with the box (outer cardboard box) This is the only box I have for TG-16 (except for my console box) and I don't think I want to go down the rabbit hole of having boxes for my games. Is that something that I can raffle away here, or am I too new to do an raffle, or is that something too insignificant to raffle off?
You certainly can raffle it off..... or just send it to me.  :mrgreen:

Quote from: Gredler on 03/04/2015, 06:35 PMAlso, I would like to post my opinions of these games I missed out on from their era, and wondered if I should start a thread about it. Would it annoy many people, or is that something that might be enjoyable to read? Maybe I should search for threads about specific games, and contribute to those, or create a separate blog and link to them in this thread? I don't want to flood the boards with needless opinions and information, but thought it might be a nice way to contribute to the community.
More game discussion is always good, but unless you have an eidetic memory, please don't post your thoughts about games you've not played in years.
I will post a raffle soon, for sure :)

And no, nothing off of memory except to compare recent reactions to old memories, but I thought it might interest some of the veterans in hearing a newcomer talk about experiences playing games missed from the era. I had the system, but very few games, and with the new perspective of modern game advances it's fun for me to go back and see what would've blown my mind, and what is still fun today.