RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Component Video & RGB OSSC VS FRAMEMEISTER Comparison

Started by turbokon, 11/26/2017, 02:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazydean

Quote from: TheOldMan on 11/29/2017, 03:36 AM
QuoteWho would cut the cord off an old TV and why?
I've done that. Maybe not a TV, but other things.
That and a trip to HomeDepot is a cheap extension cord. Especially when you need one
about 6 inches long for a power brick.
But WHY?

ClodBusted

To make a cheap self-electrocuting device. Sends angry pixies from the power outlet straight to your bare hands, there's no better way for suicide without going through too much trouble. Way better than being burned alive, drowning, suffocation. Maybe jumping from a roof can still beat it, but if you choose the latter, be sure it is high enough to not just make you a heavily disabled person afterwards.
Also make sure it is not too high, or you'll go through hellish seconds overthinking what you've just done (see also: Instant regrets) before you eventually reach the ground.

GoldenWheels

Quote from: crazydean on 11/29/2017, 04:46 AM
Quote from: TheOldMan on 11/29/2017, 03:36 AM
QuoteWho would cut the cord off an old TV and why?
I've done that. Maybe not a TV, but other things.
That and a trip to HomeDepot is a cheap extension cord. Especially when you need one
about 6 inches long for a power brick.
But WHY?
Some of the older guys I work with used to do that with stuff they thought had become a fire hazard (they repair shit here). Basically it was like saying "don't bother, I'm busted/dangerous".

gheebee

Quote from: crazydean on 11/29/2017, 04:46 AMBut WHY?
Some people do this for the copper in the cord; they get a bunch of them, strip them, and sell the copper to a scrap metal place. I actually know someone who does or used to do this; any time they see someone with an appliance at the curb they'll stop their car and chop off the power cord if someone hasn't already beaten them to it.

OldMan

QuoteBut WHY?
A) Because I can.
B) Because I'm cheap
C) Because short (< 6 in) extensions weren't available at the time.
D) Because no one wants  a 6 ft extension cord with a power brick attached under foot.
E) Because I'm wierd like that.

Pick one.

jperryss

Quote from: gheebee on 11/29/2017, 12:25 PMI actually know someone who does or used to do this; any time they see someone with an appliance at the curb they'll stop their car and chop off the power cord if someone hasn't already beaten them to it.
Reminds me of the friend who put an office chair out on the curb and returned later to find that someone took the wheeled base and left the rest of it.

Bunch of savages.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: crazydean on 11/29/2017, 02:47 AM
Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 11/29/2017, 02:32 AMPROTIP:  WHEN GRABBING TV FROM LAWN IN THE DARK, MAKE SURE THE ASSHOLES DIDN'T CUT THE FUCKING POWER CORD OFF.

SON OF A BITCH.
Ha. That made me laugh. Mostly because of how many posts you made about this TV. Anyway, it's an easy fix. 

The real question is: Who would cut the cord off an old TV and why? We may never know...
I got it all in spliced wires and it looks like the TV was dead.

SO maybe they cut it as a warning.

but they rested the TV remote so nicely on top of it, I didn't even think.

Sad times.  Those theater view TVs look fucking awesome.   
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

xcrement5x

Quote from: jperryss on 11/29/2017, 01:38 PM
Quote from: gheebee on 11/29/2017, 12:25 PMI actually know someone who does or used to do this; any time they see someone with an appliance at the curb they'll stop their car and chop off the power cord if someone hasn't already beaten them to it.
Reminds me of the friend who put an office chair out on the curb and returned later to find that someone took the wheeled base and left the rest of it.

Bunch of savages.
Lol, I just imagine some hillbilly furniture dolly or something using the just the wheeled base.

I recently ripped the female SCART sockets out of an old TV I am going to recycle because it doesn't work.  I did leave the power cord connected too though so maybe I should cut it off. 

Arkhan Asylum

Fuckin bastardssssssss

Its ok, my Sanyo still rocks on.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

ClodBusted

QuoteBut WHY?
Because they snatched up a TV from the sidewalk that had no power cord. So they cut it off from the other TV next to it.

SamIAm

One time, my dad was doing a deep clean of his house and very briefly set a PC monitor on his front porch. Someone hacked the VGA cable off of it, which was built in at the monitor-end. A good VGA cable has shielding and all that jazz, so it must be at least a little valuable...but on the other hand, I can't imagine someone investing the time to make something out of the cable as part of a business model.

With power cords, there is probably ten or twenty cents worth of copper in the lines.

turboswimbz

Quote from: SamIAm on 11/29/2017, 11:26 PMWith power cords, there is probably ten or twenty cents worth of copper in the lines.
About 5 - 8 years ago if you lived in the northeast USA that price was almost tripled that.  The guys here would steal bits from everything, break into houses for the lines, and strip every bit from demolitions.  If they could get a 30 gallon garbage can filled they were selling it  for multiple hundreds of dollars at a time.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

GoldenWheels

Yeah I'm in CT and in some of our, er, more urban zones it is still fairly common for abandoned warehouses to get broken into and the copper pipes/wiring stolen.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: turboswimbz on 11/30/2017, 08:27 AM
Quote from: SamIAm on 11/29/2017, 11:26 PMWith power cords, there is probably ten or twenty cents worth of copper in the lines.
About 5 - 8 years ago if you lived in the northeast USA that price was almost tripled that.  The guys here would still bits from everything, break into houses for the lines, and strip every bit from demolitions.  If they could get a 30 gallon garbage can filled they were selling it  for multiple hundreds of dollars at a time.
Yeah, lol houses around here in the jankier areas had the aluminum siding ripped off, and inside, people ripped the copper pipes out of the walls.

Like someone who was on vacation came home to a house with no pipes.

xcrement5x

Yeah thankfully commodities prices have come down a bit so there is less blatant theft.  City had an issue with people opening the bottoms of light posts and pulling out the wiring here for a bit.  I've got a ton of old cords and it looks like a lot of places will give you a flat rate (by pound) for unstripped cords even.