@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Civilization 6

Started by BigusSchmuck, 10/25/2016, 12:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigusSchmuck

Bad. Crack. Enough said. Who all is playing? I like it much better than Civilization 5, maybe a tad bit more than 4. Really nice they brought back unit stacking and have Sean Bean be the narrator (and you can actually skip it).

johnnykonami

Civ games are really cool but I wish the campaigns were more bite-sized.  It's just such a slow moving game, and this is coming from a guy who loves turn based war games.  Any nice improvements in 6?

BigusSchmuck

Quote from: johnnykonami on 10/25/2016, 01:36 PMCiv games are really cool but I wish the campaigns were more bite-sized.  It's just such a slow moving game, and this is coming from a guy who loves turn based war games.  Any nice improvements in 6?
I would say yeah. It seems far faster than the earlier installments. The big improvement (IMHO) is city districts. It forces you to really push for more city specialization than to have mushpots. I am on Cheiftan just to get a feel for it and I already see the AI has improved somewhat. Also civics are researched alongside with your technology. Some other cool things you get legacy bonuses if you stay as a particular government for a long period of time. One thing I did notice that was missing is the production que. :/ It really makes it more of a micromanagement nightmare mid to late game. Overall, a big improvement over 5. 5 I felt was more Total Warish while this one took the best of 5 and 4 and smushed it together.

johnnykonami

Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 10/25/2016, 02:13 PM
Quote from: johnnykonami on 10/25/2016, 01:36 PMCiv games are really cool but I wish the campaigns were more bite-sized.  It's just such a slow moving game, and this is coming from a guy who loves turn based war games.  Any nice improvements in 6?
I would say yeah. It seems far faster than the earlier installments. The big improvement (IMHO) is city districts. It forces you to really push for more city specialization than to have mushpots. I am on Cheiftan just to get a feel for it and I already see the AI has improved somewhat. Also civics are researched alongside with your technology. Some other cool things you get legacy bonuses if you stay as a particular government for a long period of time. One thing I did notice that was missing is the production que. :/ It really makes it more of a micromanagement nightmare mid to late game. Overall, a big improvement over 5. 5 I felt was more Total Warish while this one took the best of 5 and 4 and smushed it together.
Faster sounds nice, micromanagement nightmare maybe not so much.  I like a certain level of depth - I feel like there's a sweet spot for it.   Just enough detail to get invested in how the systems interact, but not so much that it feels like work trying to keep it all straight.  All of the Civ V games (and all of the grand strategy type games) are a little heavy on this I think.

wildfruit

Civilization 2 smashes it. I tried 3, didn't like it as much. Haven't tried one since. Should I?

BigusSchmuck

Quote from: wildfruit on 10/25/2016, 07:09 PMCivilization 2 smashes it. I tried 3, didn't like it as much. Haven't tried one since. Should I?
3 was probably my least favorite. It's really a tossup now between 4 and 6. If they brought back production ques I would say 6 for sure.

o.pwuaioc

I think when all was said and done, I liked V over IV because of the lack of unit stacking. Something I really hated at first, but definitely have grown to prefer.

Or maybe I just haven't played IV in a while and have developed Stockholm Syndrome with V.

BigusSchmuck

So I pulled a 12 hour marathon last night and finished with the Space Victory on Prince. Lots of crazy things happened during my play through so I'll try to be brief. For starters, I thought it would be an awesome idea to try a religion victory.So I named my religion Discworldism and used a turtle as its symbol. LOL, as soon as I did that I started getting Terry Pratchett quotes left and right for the next couple techs I researched. Kinda of funny watching the apostles duke it out with each other as they fought over my cities. Damn Russians thought they could convert my civ to Eastern Orthodox, guess again. So in the ultimate move of frustration, they decided to declare war on me. Mind you, I had 3 battleships and a frigate defending my shores. The AI was so stupid they thought they could spam Cossacks and catapults to swarm my tiny little fleet. Well, they all got took out without so much of a whimper. Russia then asked for peace and that was the one and only time I went to war the entire night. In case the Russians attacked again, I allied myself with Scythia and Sumeria and built up my hodgepodge military and fleet. Back to the task of spreading the way of the turtle I thought to myself why not go do the Space Victory instead? I know it was the wussy way out but man Kongo and Russia just love spreading Eastern Orthodox so as long as I kept my cities clean of their religion why not? So from 1am until 5am I put all my resources to maintaining a defense and building the requirements for the space victory. I even built an arsenal of nukes in case anyone got any ideas on attacking my capital but not even a peep! In short, this game is a 100x better than Civilization 5, but it still has a long ways to go to beat out Civilization 4 with all its expansion packs. I just hope the new DLCs and expansion packs fix some of the shortcomings of 6 sooner rather than later.

roflmao

Quote from: wildfruit on 10/25/2016, 07:09 PMCivilization 2 smashes it. I tried 3, didn't like it as much. Haven't tried one since. Should I?
Civ 4 is amazing. I haven't tried 5 or 6 yet because I still have 4 (with the Beyond the Sword expansion) installed.

Civ 6 looks pretty impressive so I'm sure I'll pick it up at some point.

Speaking of Civ games, I found this at a nearby thrift store earlier this week. So many minis! Now I just need to come up with friends to play it with. :p

IMG

esteban

Quote from: guest on 11/05/2016, 10:23 AM
Civ 4 is amazing. I haven't tried 5 or 6 yet because I still have 4 (with the Beyond the Sword expansion) installed.

Civ 6 looks pretty impressive so I'm sure I'll pick it up at some point.

Speaking of Civ games, I found this at a nearby thrift store earlier this week. So many minis! Now I just need to come up with friends to play it with. :p

IMG
Don't worry, you can use grains of rice to represent troops.

That's what I did after dog ate miniatures.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Psycho Punch

This is the best Civ ever since, I don't know, 2 or 3. I actually had to force myself not to play it because I did play it last week to disastrous real life results. Just... one... more... turnnnnn
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp