RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Famicom Disc System Question

Started by Mathius, 01/20/2011, 02:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mathius

Does anyone here know if an original model FDS will hook up to a Sharp Twin Fami??? My disc drive side is dead (arrived that way).

One of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nintendo-Entertainment-Famicom-Disk-System-Game-console-/140503074341?pt=Video_Games&hash=item20b6a2c625

RR1980

I think so but I have never tried that myself tho. What's wrong with the disk side on your twin fami? broken belt?

Mathius

See the f'd up spring towards the center? That, along with the belt, needs repaired/replaced.

IMG

RR1980

aww that sucks those famicom disk systems just weren't built to last :S

SignOfZeta

I don't understand your question. The Famicom Twin already has a disc drive, why would it allow you to hook another drive up do it?

That rubber belt is what craps on all FDS systems. There has to be someplace out there to get a new one. The spring...you can figure something out with that. Its just a spring.
IMG

SuperDeadite

You can buy FDS belts on ebay for $10.  A normal FDS will work with a Twin, though it defeats the purpose of owning a Twin.  You can plug the RAM cart in the slot like a normal Famicom.  In "cart mode" a twin is just a standard Fami.
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

Mathius

Yeah, the belts are crap on all Disc Systems. I have already sent the system out for repair before and the spring couldn't be repaired. Zeta, I am figuring if I can get a regular Disc System on the cheap it'll save me some cash compared to getting a new Twin Fami.

SignOfZeta

You're going to buy an entire disc system and leave yours unused because you can't replace that stupid little spring?

It can't be that hard to find a spring like that. Don't give up!
IMG

Mathius

The last guy I talked to about replacing the spring made it sound like it was a big deal. Maybe not???

SignOfZeta

Its just a spring! It isn't not like its some fancy proprietary video chip. Maybe you can't easily find the exact same thing, but it doesn't have to be. There have to be thousands of things that would substitute. I'd look in junked out automatic turntables, CD/LD players, etc. With some TLC you might even be able to replace that very spring. It doesn't have to be all that precisely calibrated.
IMG

ccovell

Honestly, replacing the spring is a bit of a big deal, as it can't have too much tension (or too little), or else the head will spring back too quickly or too slowly, messing up the timing.  The belt & gear positions inside also screw up the timing if you disassemble the whole thing.  I hate the FDS.

Anyway, if you have a working FDS drive, yes, you can just replace the whole drive in the Twin Fami.

Mathius

Quote from: ccovell on 01/20/2011, 08:40 PMHonestly, replacing the spring is a bit of a big deal, as it can't have too much tension (or too little), or else the head will spring back too quickly or too slowly, messing up the timing.  The belt & gear positions inside also screw up the timing if you disassemble the whole thing.  I hate the FDS.

Anyway, if you have a working FDS drive, yes, you can just replace the whole drive in the Twin Fami.
That honestly never occurred to me to actually take the old drive out and swap it in with an original model's guts. I'd probably be too afraid to do something like that, so I might just stick with the original plan.

nikdog

Quote from: Mathius on 01/20/2011, 10:57 PM
Quote from: ccovell on 01/20/2011, 08:40 PMHonestly, replacing the spring is a bit of a big deal, as it can't have too much tension (or too little), or else the head will spring back too quickly or too slowly, messing up the timing.  The belt & gear positions inside also screw up the timing if you disassemble the whole thing.  I hate the FDS.

That honestly never occurred to me to actually take the old drive out and swap it in with an original model's guts. I'd probably be too afraid to do something like that, so I might just stick with the original plan.
You could also swap the springs :P

But IMO it probably would be easier to swap drives.
IMGIMGIMGIMGIMGIMGIMGIMGIMGIMGIMG

Mathius

Quote from: nikdog on 01/21/2011, 05:49 PM
Quote from: Mathius on 01/20/2011, 10:57 PM
Quote from: ccovell on 01/20/2011, 08:40 PMHonestly, replacing the spring is a bit of a big deal, as it can't have too much tension (or too little), or else the head will spring back too quickly or too slowly, messing up the timing.  The belt & gear positions inside also screw up the timing if you disassemble the whole thing.  I hate the FDS.

You could also swap the springs :P

But IMO it probably would be easier to swap drives.
I may have to get some genius here to do it. :)

SignOfZeta

IMG

Mathius

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 01/22/2011, 12:55 AMPM me.
I will when I get the goodies. :) Not sure when that will be...

Edit: Unless you are willing to tackle the spring situation. :)

TheClash603

I have a Twin Famicom that will power up and it works perfectly, but once you turn it off, you have to wait several hours before it will turn on again.  This is fine for playing the occasional disk game, but you better hope those carts read correctly the first time you try them, because you only get one shot.

It all happened when I accidentally plugged the thing into the step-up side of my converter.

SignOfZeta

Quote from: Mathius on 01/22/2011, 01:01 AM

Well I'll tell you what, buy the extra drive, ship me both units, and I'll see if I can fix the spring. If i can't, I'll transfer the good drive into the Twin and buy the junk FD system off you.
IMG

Mathius

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 01/22/2011, 08:02 PM
Quote from: Mathius on 01/22/2011, 01:01 AM

Well I'll tell you what, buy the extra drive, ship me both units, and I'll see if I can fix the spring. If i can't, I'll transfer the good drive into the Twin and buy the junk FD system off you.
Sounds like a plan. I'll contact you soonish. :)

nikdog

Quote from: TheClash603 on 01/22/2011, 03:22 PMI have a Twin Famicom that will power up and it works perfectly, but once you turn it off, you have to wait several hours before it will turn on again.  This is fine for playing the occasional disk game, but you better hope those carts read correctly the first time you try them, because you only get one shot.

It all happened when I accidentally plugged the thing into the step-up side of my converter.
The twin uses a power adapter right? (It's been 3 years since I demo'd a twin for Rising Stuff.) You might just need a new adaptor. You may also need a new voltage regulator in the twin.
IMGIMGIMGIMGIMGIMGIMGIMGIMGIMGIMG

TheClash603

Quote from: nikdog on 01/23/2011, 04:43 AM
Quote from: TheClash603 on 01/22/2011, 03:22 PMI have a Twin Famicom that will power up and it works perfectly, but once you turn it off, you have to wait several hours before it will turn on again.  This is fine for playing the occasional disk game, but you better hope those carts read correctly the first time you try them, because you only get one shot.

The twin uses a power adapter right? (It's been 3 years since I demo'd a twin for Rising Stuff.) You might just need a new adaptor. You may also need a new voltage regulator in the twin.
I have a second system, I can try to switch the A/C and see what happens.  An easy fix would be awesome. Voltage regulator?  That's too much for me to handle.

Mathius

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220765816482&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Would this be all I need for the transfer??? Seems like it would be perfect! Zeta are you still in??? :)

Opethian

looks like the spring in the bare drive is good but youll hae to take it apart to install the belt. not a bad price for a drive but shipping argh
IMG

Mathius

Quote from: Opethian on 04/30/2011, 01:04 AMlooks like the spring in the bare drive is good but youll hae to take it apart to install the belt. not a bad price for a drive but shipping argh
I won't be doing the belt install because I'd destroy the pretty thing. I am hoping Zeta, or one of my other friends here, will help out with everything.

Mathius