RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Megaman PCE thread

Started by TurboXray, 02/27/2012, 11:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Redifer

Where does one get Megaman 1 CD? I have the one that works on a flash cart but didn't see the CD version in Bonknut's download section (at least not with the audio). Is the music taken from somewhere else or did Paranoia do it?

ParanoiaDragon

I didn't do any MM music.  I have some ideas that have been floating around in my mind for years, though I have no idea if they'd actually work, atleast, not with my current setup.
IMG

T2KFreeker

Boss, by chance is the Megaman 2 CD image going to release anytime soon? I wants to play!!!  :lol:
END OF LINE.

VestCunt

Quote from: T2KFreeker on 01/22/2013, 03:35 PMBoss, by chance is the Megaman 2 CD image going to release anytime soon? I wants to play!!!  :lol:
Pure speculation: Bonknuts is only releasing the hucard ROM at this time to avoid another anime4ever debacle.
Topic Adjourned.

T2KFreeker

Quote from: guest on 01/22/2013, 06:47 PM
Quote from: T2KFreeker on 01/22/2013, 03:35 PMBoss, by chance is the Megaman 2 CD image going to release anytime soon? I wants to play!!!  :lol:
Pure speculation: Bonknuts is only releasing the hucard ROM at this time to avoid another anime4ever debacle.
Hmm, that's a bummer. I just want to play it. I guess I'll have to try and get a flash card then. I understand where he is coming from though as that was pretty crappy what he did. All it takes is one assclown to ruin it for everyone else.
END OF LINE.

esteban

Quote from: T2KFreeker on 01/22/2013, 09:42 PM
Hmm, that's a bummer. I just want to play it. I guess I'll have to try and get a flash card then. I understand where he is coming from though as that was pretty crappy what he did. All it takes is one assclown to ruin it for everyone else.
I think Vestcunt is correct.

The most important thing, in my greedy and selfish reasoning, is for bonknuts to continue making wonderful contributions to our little community.  :pcgs:
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Trenton_net

Wouldn't a simple solution to the problem of people selling reproduction CDs be having a boot screen with the message "WARNING! If you paid for this CD you were ripped off. You can get this game free from <Insert Some Website>."?

SamIAm

I'm pondering whether to plant just such a message into any translations I work on. I'm happy to do it for free, but if someone started selling CD-Rs of one of my projects, I'd be pissed.

Wherever he is and why, I sure hope Tom comes back someday, and soon.

CrackTiger

Quote from: Trenton_net on 01/29/2013, 01:41 PMWouldn't a simple solution to the problem of people selling reproduction CDs be having a boot screen with the message "WARNING! If you paid for this CD you were ripped off. You can get this game free from <Insert Some Website>."?
Those Dreamcast boot discs said something like that.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

NecroPhile

Anyone willing to pay $60-70 for an obvious bootleg yet oblivious to where it came from (or at least unwilling to find out), would certainly not be bothered by such a warning screen; not to say that they're a bad idea.  As for asshat profiteering - it's pretty much unavoidable, but don't let one bad apple taint the experience and overrule the genuine appreciation from the majority.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Trenton_net

I agree. It would be a shame if CD projects for Mega Man 2 (maybe 3, in the future? :-)) or any other game be axed just due to one bad apple.

Psycho Punch

EDIT: Misread, found the Megaman1 ISO link on http://pcedev.wordpress.com/downloads-and-links/
Check out my custom cover :)

/obeyman.png

Not high quality but I kinda like it.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

Bernie

Browsing through the blog, I found this.

QuoteAnd finally, not MM related, Dragon Warrior. I never publicly released this game. It's on CD. I'm gonna redo some the emulation code because this game was the very first NES2PCE project that I ever did, then release it publicly. I'll have to figure out BRAM syscard lib and make a save option too.
This is the first time seeing this, and I surely hope it is still on the agenda.  I would love this!  Info taken from here http://pcedev.wordpress.com/2012/11/09/mm1-mm2/#comment-544

WingZeroKai

Quote from: Bernie on 03/04/2013, 12:39 PMBrowsing through the blog, I found this.

QuoteAnd finally, not MM related, Dragon Warrior. I never publicly released this game. It's on CD. I'm gonna redo some the emulation code because this game was the very first NES2PCE project that I ever did, then release it publicly. I'll have to figure out BRAM syscard lib and make a save option too.
This is the first time seeing this, and I surely hope it is still on the agenda.  I would love this!  Info taken from here http://pcedev.wordpress.com/2012/11/09/mm1-mm2/#comment-544
I never knew this existed. I would love love love to play this on my Duo-R.

Mishran

Quote from: guest on 03/04/2013, 11:52 AMEDIT: Misread, found the Megaman1 ISO link on http://pcedev.wordpress.com/downloads-and-links/
Check out my custom cover :)

/obeyman.png

Not high quality but I kinda like it.
Not bad. Would fit in with the rest of the turbo covers. We gotta hook him up with the butch on the Valis 3 manual.

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: Bernie on 03/04/2013, 12:39 PMBrowsing through the blog, I found this.

QuoteAnd finally, not MM related, Dragon Warrior. I never publicly released this game. ItÂ’s on CD. IÂ’m gonna redo some the emulation code because this game was the very first NES2PCE project that I ever did, then release it publicly. IÂ’ll have to figure out BRAM syscard lib and make a save option too.
We did that several years ago, I think Tom had problems with memory being taken up by the map??  I don't quite remember, but Keranu & Fragmare both worked reworking the tiles & sprites, & I did several redbook versions of the tunes, but I never finished them all.  I think the castle & town tunes were done, the dungeon still needed more, as did the title screen.  The overworld theme was close to done.  I had a couple of different versions of the battle theme, I'm still not sure which one I liked best, but I did want to have 2 versions.  1 for regular battles, & 1 for "boss" battles, & I think we were going to make the "bosses" look slightly different, since in the original, they're just repaints of other enemies.  I'm sure there's another tune or 2 I'm forgetting.  I was working on an evil town theme, where I mixed the music of the dungeon, with the instruments of the town theme.  IIRC, Tom was going to try n' hack the game, so that when you wanted to talk or search, you didn't have to open up a menu each time!  Oh, I think either Black Tiger or Frag (or both) reworked the title screen, so that it looked like the usual Dragon Quest logo, but said Dragon Warrior.

We also tossed ideas around of seeing if we could make some limited cinemas, maybe taking snippets from the old Dragon Quest anime.  That's all I can recall at the moment.
IMG

Bernie

Please tell me it's something not forgotten...

Edmond Dantes

What "debacle" would that be?  I googled and didn't find anything that sounded similar to this.

Keranu

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 03/04/2013, 07:59 PM

This is the first time seeing this, and I surely hope it is still on the agenda.  I would love this!  Info taken from here http://pcedev.wordpress.com/2012/11/09/mm1-mm2/#comment-544
We did that several years ago, I think Tom had problems with memory being taken up by the map??  I don't quite remember, but Keranu & Fragmare both worked reworking the tiles & sprites, & I did several redbook versions of the tunes, but I never finished them all.  I think the castle & town tunes were done, the dungeon still needed more, as did the title screen.  The overworld theme was close to done.  I had a couple of different versions of the battle theme, I'm still not sure which one I liked best, but I did want to have 2 versions.  1 for regular battles, & 1 for "boss" battles, & I think we were going to make the "bosses" look slightly different, since in the original, they're just repaints of other enemies.  I'm sure there's another tune or 2 I'm forgetting.  I was working on an evil town theme, where I mixed the music of the dungeon, with the instruments of the town theme.  IIRC, Tom was going to try n' hack the game, so that when you wanted to talk or search, you didn't have to open up a menu each time!  Oh, I think either Black Tiger or Frag (or both) reworked the title screen, so that it looked like the usual Dragon Quest logo, but said Dragon Warrior.

We also tossed ideas around of seeing if we could make some limited cinemas, maybe taking snippets from the old Dragon Quest anime.  That's all I can recall at the moment.
I'd still be down with finishing that project if everyone else was committed. Some great work was put into that, shame to see it go to waste.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

Bardoly

Quote from: Keranu on 03/05/2013, 12:09 AM
Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 03/04/2013, 07:59 PM

We did that several years ago, I think Tom had problems with memory being taken up by the map??  I don't quite remember, but Keranu & Fragmare both worked reworking the tiles & sprites, & I did several redbook versions of the tunes, but I never finished them all.  I think the castle & town tunes were done, the dungeon still needed more, as did the title screen.  The overworld theme was close to done.  I had a couple of different versions of the battle theme, I'm still not sure which one I liked best, but I did want to have 2 versions.  1 for regular battles, & 1 for "boss" battles, & I think we were going to make the "bosses" look slightly different, since in the original, they're just repaints of other enemies.  I'm sure there's another tune or 2 I'm forgetting.  I was working on an evil town theme, where I mixed the music of the dungeon, with the instruments of the town theme.  IIRC, Tom was going to try n' hack the game, so that when you wanted to talk or search, you didn't have to open up a menu each time!  Oh, I think either Black Tiger or Frag (or both) reworked the title screen, so that it looked like the usual Dragon Quest logo, but said Dragon Warrior.

We also tossed ideas around of seeing if we could make some limited cinemas, maybe taking snippets from the old Dragon Quest anime.  That's all I can recall at the moment.
I'd still be down with finishing that project if everyone else was committed. Some great work was put into that, shame to see it go to waste.
Do it!!!!!!!!

VestCunt

Quote from: Edmond Dantes on 03/04/2013, 09:03 PMWhat "debacle" would that be?  I googled and didn't find anything that sounded similar to this.
Anime4ever, AKA Fudoh, is a forum lurker that took an early version of Bonknuts freely-available ISO of the first Megaman PCE port, burned it on high-quality CD-Rs, made some packaging, and is selling it for €49. Not only is his gouging price insane, but he's passing it off as a legitimate PCE release. He neglects to inform his customers that they're paying fifty euro for a CD-R, he doesn't tell them that it's a free homebrew hack, he doesn't tell them that it's not the latest version, and he doesn't credit Bonknuts for doing all of the work.
Topic Adjourned.

Edmond Dantes

I hope that guy got banned or something.  Anime4ever, I mean.

Joe Redifer

Someone made this comment on an old video of mine:

"You guys ought to look up a blog done by a member of numerous forums with the username "Fudoh". He's got a LOT of info about the XRGB series, as well as other varieties of scalers and video processors to use with retro consoles."

Link

I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't look up his blog.

Keith Courage

I loved that video. I stand by a CRT TV myself and think it's great that you guys showed and explained why.  Not to mention I laughed a lot. You two have worked your favoritism for certain consoles into your videos in an informative yet comical way. Keep it up

seieienbu

I would love to play through Dragon Warrior on my turbo cd.  That's one of my favorite NES games.

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 03/08/2013, 06:58 PMI made a bunch of videos!
I like your videos a lot!  Informative and pretty funny.  Since I saw that last one linked I've spent a while watching your stuff.  Good work.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

NightWolve

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 03/08/2013, 06:58 PM"You guys ought to look up a blog done by a member of numerous forums with the username "Fudoh". He's got a LOT of info about the XRGB series, as well as other varieties of scalers and video processors to use with retro consoles."
Kudos, that was fun!

mac

Quote from: guest on 10/29/2012, 11:01 PMAlthough I'm not so sure about a Zonk themed Megaman clone, I threw this together for fun.
IMG IMG
Oh my ? Started throwing money at the screen when I saw this.

So where do we send funds to support these projects ?

TurboXray

Cleaning up some old stuffs...  :dance:
(meh, just read the video description)

Keith Courage

I just noticed that you now have this available for download on your website with the Redbook CD audio. Awesome! I am playing it right now and the music definitely adds to the game. My only question is that in your video here I see a nice CD icon when the CD is loading when on my DUO I sometimes get a quickly shown garbled screen of some type the CD loads before a boss battle. Also, not sure if it has something to do with my setup but the screen has almost a half an inch of black at the top all the way across. Other then those things this is great! Thank you

TurboXray

The video is a newer version than the download. I want to add a few more things, before I release this version.

The screen is purposely clipped, because the NES (this game anyway) shows garbage up there when it scroll vertically (Same on the real nes). If your TV is adjusted to show more than normal overscan - then the border will be bigger (top/bottom). Or you TV might be shifting the image down (TV isn't centering the image correctly). I could probably add vertical adjust to the boot menu of the game. Wouldn't be that hard. I'm already making a boot menu for other things (easy mode, PSG volume, etc).

But yeah, the garbage screen is the old version. The CD icon is the new version ;)

Keith Courage

Oh okay I gotcha. Great work!

FraGMarE

Hey, I rember doing some work on the Megaman player sprite for this!  :D

TurboXray

Quote from: fragmare on 01/13/2014, 05:26 PMHey, I rember doing some work on the Megaman player sprite for this!  :D
That's for the sprite hack code. I kept that as a separate project. I'll probably do the same for BG. CD audio is already a separate project. Then, I'll bring them all together into one tri-force.. err Mega-force!

But, I'm looking over that sprite hack code and damn... things are nearly done. The only real pain was Cutman, since he used some of old megaman's sprites (running frames). But since I've taken care of that, I don't need to make special cases for each boss (their frames are all unique). I wish I have a twin, so he could work on other stuff simultaneously.

TurboXray

http://www.youtu.be/fpiv2T8DP2U New Megaman stuffs to show off.
(game is still uploading to my blog site...)

From the video description:

QuoteNew title screen and option screen. Support for easy or normal mode, 6 button gamepad, set global PSG volume (left/right), set individual channel volume (left/right), and soft/pad reset (select+run).

touko

wow excellent work tom  :wink:

shubibiman

Wow ! I love that title screen !
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

NightWolve

Nice skillz hombre! ;)

esteban

Of course, you have reaffirmed all the positive adjectives I have ever used to describe your work and contributions. A big thanks to you and everyone else involved.  :pcgs:
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Nando

Well daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn!

TurboXray

I have more stuff planned for the game; charge shot, slide move, etc. I just wanted to get this 'clean' version out, but I really shouldn't be making small revisions public anymore. At least, not for download. I'll be merging the new sprite high color mode into the mix, as well as some other mods (BG upgrades, etc). I probably won't release another version until all of that is done. But I'll post videos of the progress.

Nando

Quote from: TurboXray on 01/27/2014, 03:31 PMthe new sprite high color mode into the mix,
as in

IMG
Mega-Man-The-Wily-Wars-E_019.bmp

high color ?

TurboXray

As in:

IMG

Nando

esadajr

Gaming since 1985

TurboXray

Saw this today: /140131020139627363.jpg (Megaman)

HuZeroHuCard.jpg SantatlanteanHuCard.webp

Pretty cool looking :D

Source: http://www.neogeofans.com/leforum/showthread.php?p=1207555#post1207555

Psycho Punch

Is that a reproduction hucard with a flash ROM and if so how can I make one?

Never saw anything like that.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

TurboXray

Some guy in France is making them. It was normally just a white hucard he made, but he put the MM sticker on it recently. You'll have to get in contact with him, to see if he's selling the hucards. I want one too ;>_>

NightWolve

Quote from: TurboXray on 02/01/2014, 12:42 AMSome guy in France is making them. It was normally just a white hucard he made, but he put the MM sticker on it recently. You'll have to get in contact with him, to see if he's selling the hucards. I want one too ;>_>
Well, if I was you and wanted one, I'd send him a nicely worded email demanding one as payment, letting him know that you're responsible for that port and that he's been cashing in, partly, on your hard work, not just his in creating that repro and loading it up with a patched ROM image, etc.!

In principle, this should require a contacting of all relevant parties, you know, if you wanna at least appear to have some sense of fairness, decency, etc. but we all know how sh-t works on the Internet, don't we ?? Of course Capcom would ignore anything from some guy on the Net and for an old, dead system, but to avoid a fan or fan team entirely ?

saturndual32

That high color Megaman sprite looks amazing, i had no idea that it could be improved that much...tom and the pce rock  =D&gt;!
 I just finished the first Megaman a couple nights ago on the NES, and loved it. So i am really gonna enjoy playing trough it again, with this enhancements.

TurboXray

Quote from: NightWolve on 02/01/2014, 01:26 AM
Quote from: TurboXray on 02/01/2014, 12:42 AMSome guy in France is making them. It was normally just a white hucard he made, but he put the MM sticker on it recently. You'll have to get in contact with him, to see if he's selling the hucards. I want one too ;>_>
Well, if I was you and wanted one, I'd send him a nicely worded email demanding one as payment, letting him know that you're responsible for that port and that he's been cashing in, partly, on your hard work, not just his in creating that repro and loading it up with a patched ROM image, etc.! In principle, this should require a contacting of all relevant parties, you know, if you wanna at least appear to have some sense of fairness, decency, etc. but we all know how shit works on the Internet, don't we ?? Of course Capcom would ignore anything from some guy on the Net and for an old, dead system, but to avoid a fan or fan team entirely ?
No, no. You misunderstand. He created a 'flash' card. It's all white. I ~think~ he's selling those; not sure (the site/forum is in french. Might just be a personal flash card. Dunno). Someone told him about the Megaman PCE game, and so he uploaded the rom and put a sticker on it. He's not making repro's that I know of.

saturndual32: Hey, I didn't realize that you had an account here :D Those are Fragmare's sprites. They need a tiny bit of tweaking, but I like 'em.  :mrgreen:

Yeah, I'm actually working on doing all the sprites in the game right now (upgrading their size and color counts). It's slow and a pain, because I have to make all the enemy tables (x/y/attrib/tile) by hand. And I have to verify that it aligns up with original. I did this with Megaman and Cutman, but thankfully the enemy sprites don't have a lot of animation to them (compared to MM and the bosses). But I need to get this out of the way. I can't wait to start upgrading the tiles/tilemap. I was thinking about expanding and changing the levels a little bit - to freshen up the game. I was never happy with Bombman's level. That needs a graphic overhaul. And maybe just a bit of parallax thrown in, too. Once I get all the sprites upgraded to PCE format, I'll have much more room in the SAT as well as sprite per scanline limit - for adding sprites in for parallax effects.