10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Megaman PCE thread

Started by TurboXray, 02/27/2012, 11:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: fragmare on 11/11/2016, 08:42 PMLol, hey guys.

I remember doing the Megaman sprite and the background tiles for the Cutman level a few years back.  Always wanted to see something come of it  :)  IIRC, I never drew the enemies or boss sprite
As do I!  I'm still working on a soundtrack, just have had little "me" time in the last several months, but I plan on getting it going again soon.
IMG

FraGMarE

Quote from: TurboXray on 11/11/2016, 09:18 PMHey Frag!

Yeah, I don't have any updated graphics for the Cutman boss. I did a lot of hacking to get those graphics to work in Cutmans levels, so I definitely want to see that stage finished.
Is that all that's left?  the boss sprite being reworked?  Looking back through my folder I did quite a few enemies, the bg tiles, and, of course, the custom Megaman sprite

esteban

Quote from: fragmare on 11/12/2016, 02:40 AM

Yeah, I don't have any updated graphics for the Cutman boss. I did a lot of hacking to get those graphics to work in Cutmans levels, so I definitely want to see that stage finished.
Is that all that's left?  the boss sprite being reworked?  Looking back through my folder I did quite a few enemies, the bg tiles, and, of course, the custom Megaman sprite
I see momentum building!

:)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: esteban on 11/12/2016, 03:46 AM

I see momentum building!

Thomas the PC Engine is gaining steam!  And boy, is it STEAMY! :)
IMG

vacantplanets

Quote from: TurboXray on 11/07/2016, 04:46 PMAlso, this winter, with the help of elmer's expanded system card for TED (512k ram), I'll release a CD version of MM2 with CD sound track like I did with MM1. That was pretty easy to do in MM1, so it should be the same with MM2.

I actually had a WIP of Castlevania nes2pce that had CD sound tracks. It had a bug that I never tracked down. I should probably add that to the list. The whole thing about the CD sound track, is so anyone can make their own personal sound tracks. I dunno. Being able to personalize games like that seemed like a cool idea.
Man, I can't believe I'm reading this. I can't wait! :D

Here's your MM2 soundtrack:
I can also find a Castlevania soundtrack when the time comes for it.
I'd rather be playing guitar or listening to a PC Engine CD soundtrack.

Currently playing PC Engine, Saturn, and SNES MSU1.

TurboXray

I need to finish out this semester. We should talk during winter break (starting December). That's the only free time I have.

TurboXray

Quote from: vacantplanets on 11/23/2016, 09:23 PM
Quote from: TurboXray on 11/07/2016, 04:46 PMAlso, this winter, with the help of elmer's expanded system card for TED (512k ram), I'll release a CD version of MM2 with CD sound track like I did with MM1. That was pretty easy to do in MM1, so it should be the same with MM2.

I actually had a WIP of Castlevania nes2pce that had CD sound tracks. It had a bug that I never tracked down. I should probably add that to the list. The whole thing about the CD sound track, is so anyone can make their own personal sound tracks. I dunno. Being able to personalize games like that seemed like a cool idea.
Man, I can't believe I'm reading this. I can't wait! :D

Here's your MM2 soundtrack:
I can also find a Castlevania soundtrack when the time comes for it.
Thanks for the link! Gonna have to get that album from his bandcamp link.

vacantplanets

No problem. Here's another MM2 soundtrack for the people who want a version that's less metal.
I'd rather be playing guitar or listening to a PC Engine CD soundtrack.

Currently playing PC Engine, Saturn, and SNES MSU1.

FraGMarE

Bonknuts, check your pm.  I sent you a couple frames for the Cutman sprite I am working on a while back.  Let me know what you think of the pixel sauce.  :)

TurboXray

FraGMarE

Bump.  Bonknuts, check your PM again.  :)  MMerry Christmas!

elmer

I couldn't see this mentioned earlier in the thread, and I apologize if it's old news.

I've been going through a couple of threads on the Deflemask forum, looking for PCE tunes to download to test on Huzak, and I came across this 2-year-old complete Deflemask MM1 soundtrack for the PCE ...

http://www.deflemask.com/forum/show-off-your-work/cover-game-music-on-a-different-system/msg1934/#msg1934

It sounds good to me, but I really don't know the game well.

What do you MM1 fans think, is it any good?

FraGMarE

Hey, this is pretty rockin!  They're completely remastered into 6 tracks, not just translated straight from the NES, so the extra depth is nice!  :)

ParanoiaDragon

I hope i can get myself back to working on this soundtrack, but, currently having PC problems.  A guy from my wife's work who works in IT is going to try to get me up & running.  Then, to motivate myself, I plan on remaking the Bonk 3 CD soundtrack to sound more like souped up versions of the 1st 2 games.  From there, I should have about 5 songs to finish including the Title Screen from the GB version.
IMG

FraGMarE

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 01/06/2017, 02:53 AMI hope i can get myself back to working on this soundtrack, but, currently having PC problems.  A guy from my wife's work who works in IT is going to try to get me up & running.  Then, to motivate myself, I plan on remaking the Bonk 3 CD soundtrack to sound more like souped up versions of the 1st 2 games.  From there, I should have about 5 songs to finish including the Title Screen from the GB version.
Chop chop.  I recently turned in my boss sprite assignment.  lol :P

Arkhan Asylum

Not saying Paranoia's music sucks, but, since this is a free game, why not use the Miniboss's Megaman 2 tunes where available ?

Megaman 2s music has so many rediddles that are available.

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: guest on 01/06/2017, 12:51 PMNot saying Paranoia's music sucks, but, since this is a free game, why not use the Miniboss's Megaman 2 tunes where available ?

Megaman 2s music has so many rediddles that are available.
True dat, however, you ARE saying my music sucks! :D  No but seriously though, this is a soundtrack I dreamed of doing since I was a kid.  Especially Cutman, always wanted a Mariachi band version!  LOL.  I've added a few more songs to the roster however, including a Final Boss theme, based on 4 different Wily related tunes, with the meat of the track being a recreation of MM9's Wiley Machine tune.  Also am doing 2 extra tracks for the Wily levels 2 & 4.  Mainly remixed versions of the original tracks, but with other MM stuffs mixed in to give them a different sound.

It'll probably still take me a bit to get to finishing this sadly(2016 was a bit of a hellish year for me), but I'm going to continue doing it. I'm sure Frag will pass me up on completion!  So, if need be, other tunes can be put in place till I finish mine.
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

are you going to go with the obvious metal renditions, or do weirder shit?
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

ParanoiaDragon

Nope, no metal.  The only song I'm doing that's close to metal would be the alternate version of Dr.Wily Castle 1(which will play on the 2nd Castle level).  I have some guitar in Iceman.  Might put some guitar in the Title Screen, not sure, haven't worked on that one at all yet.

Cutman has alot of trumpets & castanets, various songs have violins.  All the songs are mixed with other related songs.  For instance, I mixed several versions of Cutman's theme, as well as some other latin based or blade based MM tunes from thruout the entire series.  Bombman was the hardest to find tunes that were similar either in theme, or sound.  He didn't appear in the GB game, or MM Soccer.  I ended up taking some stuff from Burstman as well as any song from the series that is set in a city, since that's the main thing I think of with his level.

I'm almost tempted to set up a youtube account or something & upload all the songs that are finished.  Was wanting to hold back till it was 100% done originally.
IMG

esteban

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 01/09/2017, 01:34 AMNope, no metal.  The only song I'm doing that's close to metal would be the alternate version of Dr.Wily Castle 1(which will play on the 2nd Castle level).  I have some guitar in Iceman.  Might put some guitar in the Title Screen, not sure, haven't worked on that one at all yet.

Cutman has alot of trumpets & castanets, various songs have violins.  All the songs are mixed with other related songs.  For instance, I mixed several versions of Cutman's theme, as well as some other latin based or blade based MM tunes from thruout the entire series.  Bombman was the hardest to find tunes that were similar either in theme, or sound.  He didn't appear in the GB game, or MM Soccer.  I ended up taking some stuff from Burstman as well as any song from the series that is set in a city, since that's the main thing I think of with his level.

I'm almost tempted to set up a youtube account or something & upload all the songs that are finished.  Was wanting to hold back till it was 100% done originally.
Hey!

Release a song every day over a period of _____ days.

Or 1-2 songs a week over ___ months.

ParanoiaDragon

Fine, so be it!  :D  Here's Cutman, might tweak the bassline to sound a little rougher, otherwise it's done.  Like all my Mega Man tunes, it is based on several versions of Cutmans theme, including the NGPC version of Rockman Power Battles, along with other songs from the entire MM series that I felt would fit in.  From Battle Network(of which I never got into) to Legends to ZX, etc., I utilized themes from the whole series, as long as it wasn't from MM 2-6......just incase I ever ended up doing the other NES MM soundtracks.
IMG

esteban

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 01/15/2017, 12:35 AMFine, so be it!  :D  Here's Cutman, might tweak the bassline to sound a little rougher, otherwise it's done.  Like all my Mega Man tunes, it is based on several versions of Cutmans theme, including the NGPC version of Rockman Power Battles, along with other songs from the entire MM series that I felt would fit in.  From Battle Network(of which I never got into) to Legends to ZX, etc., I utilized themes from the whole series, as long as it wasn't from MM 2-6......just incase I ever ended up doing the other NES MM soundtracks.
Comrade, I am enjoying Cutman (of course, you have to make the track PUBLIC, I can't find anything to listen to, so I am pretending).

Of course, once you make the song available, I look forward to MOAR.

SOON.

MOAR.

Thank you.

ParanoiaDragon

Dang, I thought as long as I provided the link, anyone could open the link, but it wouldn't be searchable normally.  It's public now....so the link should...in theory....work! :D

Cutmancontains elements from:

Cutman from MM Wily Wars https://youtu.be/v7dI4lTkJW4&list=PLC569F73BB735B434&index=5

Cutman from MM for Gameboy https://youtu.be/yrRv-fJRTSc&index=3&list=PL7D42BC8F755A004D

Cutfield for MM Soccer https://youtu.be/9QnSDrj4w3Y&index=9&list=PLTsYlqVy0U-SJZW_q9dUELc3bKfxxtMD5

Blademan from MM 10 https://youtu.be/0UQwNGOwVP4&index=6&list=PL1B9F92E8839A0152

Cutman from MM Power Fighters Arcade https://youtu.be/stBOM65AIq4&list=PLXRkwGvXTai4TUuNDgAmRgCMfzl2tY9MB&index=13

Cutman from MM Battle & Power Fighters for Neo Geo Pocket Color https://youtu.be/RpoKwWvCspw&index=3&list=PLRvbYGzPJg4OKtCKAz4EDCP9ZNGfg_wYB

Cutman from MM:The Puzzle Battle https://youtu.be/BU6nanIqh4Q&list=PLzi9JZ6mLR8lLKBBew9aeo_nuOgg040l5&index=3

Fokkerwolf! from Mega Man Legends https://youtu.be/ze2rKSkaW0A&index=53&list=PL1muB85JLGI-NncsBwBoh-rySF1D04Vnw
IMG

esteban

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 01/15/2017, 05:29 PMDang, I thought as long as I provided, anyone could open the link, but it wouldn't be searchable normally.  It's public now....so the link should...in theory....work! :D
I friggin' love it.

I couldn't just play it once. Had to listen on repeat a few times.

Their is a light cheeriness to this they I really like (and I usually hate light cheeriness!).

Plus, call me crazy, but their is a slight "Telenet House Band" flavor to this. Maybe it's the horn lead...

spenoza

The timing of one of the key note progressions is different and it's screwing with my head. I like the rest of it, but that one bit is killing me!

jperryss

Quote from: guest on 01/15/2017, 08:42 PMThe timing of one of the key note progressions is different and it's screwing with my head. I like the rest of it, but that one bit is killing me!
It is. The horn notes start just a bit too early each time. The mix is awesome but that part is disorienting.

TurboXray

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 01/15/2017, 05:29 PMDang, I thought as long as I provided, anyone could open the link, but it wouldn't be searchable normally.  It's public now....so the link should...in theory....work! :D
Nice!

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: esteban on 01/15/2017, 07:08 PM
Plus, call me crazy, but their is a slight "Telenet House Band" flavor to this. Maybe it's the horn lead...
Sweet!  Yeah, there's probably some Telenet in this & other songs I've done.

Quote from: jperryss on 01/15/2017, 09:08 PM
Quote from: guest on 01/15/2017, 08:42 PMThe timing of one of the key note progressions is different and it's screwing with my head. I like the rest of it, but that one bit is killing me!
It is. The horn notes start just a bit too early each time. The mix is awesome but that part is disorienting.
Can you point out where it seems off?  This & Iceman's melody were difficult, since the original songs have the notes being slightly offbeat.  I tried to stay as faithful as possible.  I'm assuming  you guys mean the melody, not the chorus??  Otherwise I'm not sure where it could seem off.

Glad you like it Tom, I thought I showed this one to you a couple years ago.  I know I sent you a few of them.
IMG

spenoza

The lead cuts in too quickly, I think. It feels like it ends up between beats.

jperryss

I'm terrible at explaining but I think 'redacted' said it well: The 7 horn notes that make up the lead and play for the first time at 0:04 sound like they start maybe 1 or 1/2 beat too early each time.

NecroPhile

Cool tune, man.  I'm digging it.  :mrgreen:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: jperryss on 01/16/2017, 09:09 AMI'm terrible at explaining but I think Spenoza said it well. The 7 horn notes that make up the lead and play for the first time at 0:04 sound like they start maybe 1 or 1/2 beat too early each time.
It's not so much that they start early, I think it's that the rhythm is not exactly the same as the original, so it sounds off.

spenoza

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 01/16/2017, 09:28 AM
Quote from: jperryss on 01/16/2017, 09:09 AMI'm terrible at explaining but I think Spenoza said it well. The 7 horn notes that make up the lead and play for the first time at 0:04 sound like they start maybe 1 or 1/2 beat too early each time.
It's not so much that they start early, I think it's that the rhythm is not exactly the same as the original, so it sounds off.
If it sounds off it is off. In the original that 7-note run starts on a down beat. In this one it doesn't. The core rhythm isn't so different.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: guest on 01/16/2017, 09:51 AM
Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 01/16/2017, 09:28 AM
If it sounds off it is off. In the original that 7-note run starts on a down beat. In this one it doesn't. The core rhythm isn't so different.
Yeah, I know its off if it sounds off.  It's harder to tell too because the trumpet is a little less attacky than the original lead.  So, it's like a mix of things.

spenoza

So, the original is in 4/4 and that lead comes in on the downbeat of 3. if we assume the cover is also in 4, that lead is coming in just before beat 3, and it sounds like it's tripping over itself to get into sync with the rest of the track.

bonq

Hey PD,

I liked the Cutman track a lot. The transitions are done well. I also agree that it kind of has a fun cheeriness to it. I like the first transition and the instruments used in the second (middle) part, they are pretty spot on.

-bonq

ParanoiaDragon

Thanks Bonq, I don't recall if you had heard that one yet!

So, I just don't hear it being off, & I have zero musical training....I just hear stuff, & either recreate it to the best of my ability, or make up new stuff, like what I did with Jungle Bros.  Would you say it's absolutely necessary to move the 7 notes up slightly?  Makes me worry about how Iceman will come across to ones who are able to tell.  I know I can't please everybody, & I tend to continually nitpick my own songs.  Sometimes, years later I'll listen to something, & wonder why in the world I went in a certain direction, or used a certain instrument. 

Still, with that said, when the times comes, if need be, I'll load it up & try to adjust the first 7 notes forward ever so slightly.  One thing i was thinking that might help, is for me to do that, & then mash it up with the original to see if I hear a difference!

And on that note, here's the Stage Select:contains elements from:

Stage Select from MM Wily Wars https://youtu.be/ReyEa6nttRk&list=PLC569F73BB735B434&index=3

Stage Select from MM for Gameboy https://youtu.be/0wJReYvlHOY&index=2&list=PL7D42BC8F755A004D

Boss Select from MM for Gameboy https://youtu.be/ufIds7XLT_A&index=4&list=PL4472B402F1050329

Select Field from MM Soccer https://youtu.be/TaOtlbCebd8&list=PLTsYlqVy0U-SJZW_q9dUELc3bKfxxtMD5&index=6

The Intro to the US Mega Man Cartoon https://youtu.be/3ufVQIUEiYc

And the intro to the German MM Cartoon :D https://youtu.be/HFEBaAxO7W0

And Stage Start:
IMG

FraGMarE

Sounds good, man!  :)  I agree with the others about those few notes in the Cutman music.  If you want, I could share with you (and everybody else) how I break down and dissect the original tunes when I make the chiptune covers.  That way, you can get the timing perrrrrrrrrrrrfect.  It's a PITA and not for the faint of heart, i'll warn you.  haha

roflmao

These are sounding great!

esteban

Quote from: guest on 01/18/2017, 11:31 AMThese are sounding great!
Agreed. :)

My only suggestion is to BOOST THE BASS in all the tracks so that you can officially be licensed (by me) for 100% compliance to the NEC Virtual Cushion Standard (NECVCS) 

spenoza

Just tap your foot along with the beat and see if different parts come in at the same foot position (up or down).

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: fragmare on 01/18/2017, 11:02 AMSounds good, man!  :)  I agree with the others about those few notes in the Cutman music.  If you want, I could share with you (and everybody else) how I break down and dissect the original tunes when I make the chiptune covers.  That way, you can get the timing perrrrrrrrrrrrfect.  It's a PITA and not for the faint of heart, i'll warn you.  haha
Yeah, I wouldn't mind hearing how you do it, even if I am faint at heart!  :D

Quote from: esteban on 01/18/2017, 05:53 PM
Quote from: guest on 01/18/2017, 11:31 AMThese are sounding great!
Agreed. :)

My only suggestion is to BOOST THE BASS in all the tracks so that you can officially be licensed (by me) for 100% compliance to the NEC Virtual Cushion Standard (NECVCS) 

Ha, if anything, I think some of my songs have too much bass, especially Fireman, I need to tone it down a lil'.  My Iceman theme my be a little too boomin as well.

However, if Bonknuts wants to crank the bass on the sound fx for Virtual Cushion support, more power too him!  I just don't want my songs overwhelming the average stereo!
IMG

esteban

UPDATE: I just listened to the Cutman track a few more times and I'm loving the vibe even more. I love all the little details packed in here. They don't compete with one another or become a cacophony. Just lots of nice layers and transitions.

ChuChu Flamingo

After reading the thread, is the iso available on iso zone the final version?

bonq

Anyone notice at about 2:20 on the stage select tune you can hear a really quick voice that sounds like its saying "Mega Man" super fast.

Is that an easter egg?

-bonq

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: bonq on 01/20/2017, 11:10 PMAnyone notice at about 2:20 on the stage select tune you can hear a really quick voice that sounds like its saying "Mega Man" super fast.

Is that an easter egg?

-bonq
:D  I was wondering if someone would notice that I plucked some tunes & "Mega Man" from the tv show's intro!

And with that, I offer

BombmanThis was one of the hardest Robot Master themes to find extra material that would match up with it!  It was exhausting.  It contains elements of:

Burstman from Mega Man 7 https://youtu.be/8QvVL4Xk3ZE&index=9&list=PL4019AEE8478B354E

Bombman from MM Powered Up https://youtu.be/kbeS_aPtN1k&index=11&list=PLwxLlSv5mvIZDGlRHBJOIKmrFOgcFq5zu

Commando Man from Mega Man 10 https://youtu.be/8eohcv4G2ZY&index=8&list=PL83DAC9D41D55C96D

Bombman from MM Wily Wars https://youtu.be/WyxtsqezlM0&list=PLC569F73BB735B434&index=9

Metropolis Map from Wily & Light's Rockboard https://youtu.be/h0qfl-6xQj0&index=3&list=PLTsYlqVy0U-QyTaJkT3e15EFZ111U1AJW

Relaxation from MM Network Transmission https://youtu.be/dBU7HSHV_bg&list=PLFBF22922234D1103&index=2

Bombman from Mega Man: The Puzzle Battle https://youtu.be/48mOI6_6qB0&list=PLzi9JZ6mLR8lLKBBew9aeo_nuOgg040l5&index=6

Brilliant Show Window/City from MM ZX https://youtu.be/guLOrgjcuSY&list=PLB826B812E42F5680&index=11
IMG

esteban

Windcharger

I really like what you've done with these Mage Man remix/covers PD!  The improvisation is a very nice addition giving these tunes a freshness they haven't had in a very long time.  I can tell you spent massive amounts of time on these and just wanted to say great job man!   :D

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: Windcharger on 01/27/2017, 09:35 PMI really like what you've done with these Mage Man remix/covers PD!  The improvisation is a very nice addition giving these tunes a freshness they haven't had in a very long time.  I can tell you spent massive amounts of time on these and just wanted to say great job man!   :D
Thanks man, that means alot! Actually, I tend to be a bit nervous when releasing these, as I get afraid some people won't like all the additional tunes I mixed in to fluff out the tunes!

And with that said, may as well release another track

FiremanI've never gotten into the details with the other songs I've release thus far(I'll update them later), but this song contains elements of:

Fire Man from Mega Man for Game Boy https://youtu.be/gnvW-I_wvTc&index=6&list=PL7D42BC8F755A004D

Fire Man for MM1 on Genesis https://youtu.be/CcLzgr0rFto&index=8&list=PLC569F73BB735B434

Fire Man from Rockman The Puzzle Battle https://youtu.be/y-DkkD2xMPQ

Fire Man from MM Powered Up https://youtu.be/oTNwQaC3dbs&list=PLwxLlSv5mvIZDGlRHBJOIKmrFOgcFq5zu&index=12

Fire Field from Mega Man Soccer https://youtu.be/0eJyA862CmM&list=PLTsYlqVy0U-SJZW_q9dUELc3bKfxxtMD5&index=10

Blazing Internet from Mega Man Network Transmission https://youtu.be/4WYrhgc3vvA&index=5&list=PLFBF22922234D1103

Fire Man from MM Battle Network 4.5 https://youtu.be/4CGcpGT3Q4I&index=8&list=PL310A169CEC5F5297

Magma Dragoon from MM X4 https://youtu.be/odgb3Pqqtvw&index=11&list=PL7oGGg7qjS8F4XJDsztd9KadNadVR6koK
IMG

esteban

I haven't played nearly as many Mega Man games as Capcom released! Damn.

Also, just to piggyback in Windcharger's comment: PD, your process for creating these songs lends itself to a fresh feeling....for me, anyway, and not the "pastiche" some might expect.