RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Megaman PCE thread

Started by TurboXray, 02/27/2012, 11:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ParanoiaDragon

Sweet, thanks man!  It's been a passion for me to figure out how I wanted to do these songs.  Plus, I learned a new word, pastiche!  And yeah, there's TONS of Mega Man games, I have  but only played a fraction of them.  I don't care for the alternate universe games(Battle Nework, Network Transmission, etc.).  But they're official, so I draw whatever I can from those games along with the rest of the series for this soundtrack.

I'll go into more description here on the other songs I did:

Bombmancontains elements of:

Burstman from Mega Man 7
Bombman from MM Powered Up
Commando Man from Mega Man 10
Bombman from MM Wily Wars
Metropolis Map from Wily & Light's Rockboard
Relaxation from MM Network Transmission
Bombman from Mega Man: The Puzzle Battle
Brilliant Show Window/City from MM ZX
Cutmancontains elements from:

Cutman from MM Wily Wars
Cutman from MM for Gameboy
Cutfield for MM Soccer
Blademan from MM 10
Cutman from MM Power Fighters Arcade
Cutman from MM Battle & Power Fighters for Neo Geo Pocket Color
Cutman from MM:The Puzzle Battle
Fokkerwolf! from Mega Man Legends
Stage Selectcontains elements from:

Stage Select from MM Wily Wars
Stage Select from MM for Gameboy
Boss Select from MM for Gameboy
Select Field from MM Soccer
The Intro to the US Mega Man Cartoon
And the intro to the German MM Cartoon :D
IMG

esteban

I was worried you were going to overlook the German carton theme song.

(Typical rookie mistake).

I'm glad I was wrong.

Also: there was a Mega Man cartoon?

Also also: The Mega Man cartoon was localized for Germany?

:)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

ParanoiaDragon

I just knew you'd worry about that! :)

Might as well post the boss theme next, however, I'll probably tweak it before I finish the soundtrack.  This song might sound a lil plain compared to the rest.

Bosscontains elements of:
Mega Man Powered Up Boss Battle
MM1 for Gameboy's Boss Battle
MM Wily Wars Boss Battle
Victory
IMG

ParanoiaDragon

GutsmanContains elements from:
Rockman Special CD
Armored Armadillo from Mega Man X
Armored Armadillo from Mega Man X: Maverick Hunter
Answer! from Mega Man X Command Mission
Guts Man from MM Power Fighters
Abandoned Mine from MM Legends 2
Drill Crush! from MM Battle Network 5
Express UG from MM Zero
Guts Man from MM Powered Up
Tunnel Rhino from MMX 3
Tunnel Rhino from MMX 3 PS1
Guts Man from MM Battle Network 4.5
Guts Man from Rockman The Puzzle Battle
Robot Museum from Mega Man 7
Guts Man from MM Wily Wars
IMG

ParanoiaDragon

Haven't had time to sit down  & list the details for the last few songs.  With that said, here's

Iceman
IMG

esteban

Paranoia!!!!

I have been listnening to all these tracks all day!

It's a snowstorm over here in NJ/NYC and your tunes + fragmare + michimurin98 (can't remember) have been on repeat as I shovel and play with my kids.

ParanoiaDragon

Glad I'm keeping you warm while you listen to Iceman! :D

May as well unleash Elecman:
IMG

FraGMarE

All this stuff is great, man!  :)

esteban

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 02/12/2017, 03:14 AMGlad I'm keeping you warm while you listen to Iceman! :D

I'm heading out for a walk. Ready to listen to Elecman...

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: fragmare on 02/12/2017, 07:18 AMAll this stuff is great, man!  :)
Awesome, glad you like!  I was nervous about Iceman, since it like Cutman has a melody that's kinda off.  I must've gotten that one right.  Will eventually have to adjust Cutman once I get back in gear on music.

Quote from: esteban on 02/13/2017, 11:36 AM
Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 02/12/2017, 03:14 AMGlad I'm keeping you warm while you listen to Iceman! :D

I'm heading out for a walk. Ready to listen to Elecman...

I hope Elecman made your walk epic!  :D
IMG

ParanoiaDragon

It's been 6 days since I uploaded the last track, so, I'll upload another!

Dr. Wily's Castle Stage 1contains elements from:

Wily's Castle 1 from Mega Man NES
Wily's Castle 1 from MM Wily Wars
Wily's Castle 2 from MM Puzzle Battle
Wily's Castle 1 from MM Powered Up
Wily's Castle 1 from MM Gameboy
Sigma's Stage 1 from MM X
Sigma's Stage 1 from MM X Maverick Hunter
Wily Stage 1 from MM 8
Mars from MM V for Gameboy
IMG

esteban

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 02/19/2017, 02:14 AMIt's been 6 days since I uploaded the last track, so, I'll upload another!

Dr. Wily Stage 1
And the verdict is...

[pending]

Magnificent. :)

vacantplanets

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 02/19/2017, 02:14 AMIt's been 6 days since I uploaded the last track, so, I'll upload another!

Dr. Wily Stage 1
Yeah this is good stuff man. I like the Mega Man 5 in the stage select, Mega Man X mixes, etc. Glad to finally hear it because I remember how you were always talking about it, haha. Are you selling it? When it's all released, I definitely need to make me a copy of Mega Man CD with it.

P.S. check out this Genesis sounding remix for Mega Man 5 into/title:
I'd rather be playing guitar or listening to a PC Engine CD soundtrack.

Currently playing PC Engine, Saturn, and SNES MSU1.

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: esteban on 02/19/2017, 08:49 AM

Dr. Wily Stage 1
And the verdict is...

[pending]

Magnificent. :)
Sweet, glad you like!  Hopefully I'll finish Wily Stages 2 & 4 alternate tunes.  I started on Stage 2, but am only half done.

Quote from: vacantplanets on 02/19/2017, 07:51 PM

Dr. Wily Stage 1
Yeah this is good stuff man. I like the Mega Man 5 in the stage select, Mega Man X mixes, etc. Glad to finally hear it because I remember how you were always talking about it, haha. Are you selling it? When it's all released, I definitely need to make me a copy of Mega Man CD with it.

P.S. check out this Genesis sounding remix for Mega Man 5 into/title:
Glad you're enjoying them!  I'm just making this for the Turbo CD version, not selling it or anything.  Btw, the part in the Stage Select that sounds like MM 5's Title screen, is actually the Stage/Field Select from Mega Man Soccer! :)
IMG

vacantplanets

I didn't mean that you included something from the Mega Man 5 title screen song; I just wanted to show you that remix because it's one of my favorites, haha. What I meant was that you did actually use the stage select from NES Mega Man 5 in your stage select mix. Check it out; it's where they got the Mega Man Soccer song from:

ParanoiaDragon

Ah crap, you're right!  I'm not as familiar with MM's4-7(didn't play them as a kid, played them maybe 10 years ago or so), so that tune never struck me dang it!  I was trying to avoid using tunes from 2-6(I didn't go thru their ost's when building this soundtrack) just in case Bonknuts ever wanted to do CD versions of those, oh well!
IMG

esteban

Ok, I would have bet a million dollars that Mega Man Soccer was a joke...

.. it actually exists.

Jeezus, I had no idea.

ParanoiaDragon

Really?  I remember seeing ads & reviews BITD in EGM or whatever.  I didn't play it back then though.
IMG

ParanoiaDragon

It's that time again!

Dr. Wily Bosses 1 & 3(thinking of doing a special track for Boss 2, & already made a track for Dr. Wily)contains elements from:

Wily Bosses from Mega Man NES
Wily Bosses from MM Wily Wars
Wily Bosses from MM Powered Up
Void from MM Battle Network
Wily Stage 3 from Mega Man: The Puzzle Battle
Wily Bosses from Mm 10
IMG

ParanoiaDragon

I feel that this next one needs more variety to it, so I'll be tweaking it in the future.

Dr. Wily's Castle Stage 3contains elements from;

Wily's Castle 3 & 4 from Mega Man NES
http://youtu.be/7CNIrDQC9...L2F9FC2ABF7FDAF43 - Invalid ID
Wily's Castle 3 & 4 from MM Wily Wars
http://youtu.be/PqsJym84k...LC569F73BB735B434 - Invalid ID
Wily's Final Stage from MM Wily's Revenge
http://youtu.be/8anfd30qp...1Ehh5b43c&index=6 - Invalid ID
Endless Struggle from Mega Man 10
http://youtu.be/zoyTqyEtL...0D159756&index=35 - Invalid ID
Wily Castle 1 from Mega Man: The Puzzle Battle
http://youtu.be/kWJ4Uor4C - Invalid ID
Wily Stage 3 & 4 from MM Powered Up
IMG

ParanoiaDragon

I'll do another, here's what I worked up for the final battle with Wily which happens to be my favorite of all the tracks I did, & strangely, it's one of the ones I did earlier on in creating this soundtrack!

Dr. Wily's Final Battlecontaints elements from:
Wily Battle from Mega Man
Wily Machine from Mega Man 9
Incidnent Occurance! from MM Battle Network 2
Wily Machine from Mega Man & Bass
Wily Bosses from Mega Man NES
Wily Bosses from MM Wily Wars
Wily Bosses from MM Powered Up
Wily Stage 3 from Mega Man: The Puzzle Battle
Final Victory
IMG

esteban

Ok, I am just listening to these now. I'll be back with my official verdict...

ParanoiaDragon

And ye verdict is......?
IMG

esteban

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 03/09/2017, 12:16 AMAnd ye verdict is......?
I watched the first two episodes.

Really generic, but higher production values than I was expecting.

It shouldn't call itself Castlevania...but I haven't seen Belmont seek revenge yet (episode 2 established this).

I will watch at least one more.

Masochist!

ParanoiaDragon

Heh, as far as i can tell, you totally responded to the Netflix Castlevania thread in this thread! :D
IMG

esteban

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 03/10/2017, 04:10 AMHeh, as far as i can tell, you totally responded to the Netflix Castlevania thread in this thread! :D
Hilarious!

That is exactly what happened... :)

So, let me go to the Castlevania thread to give you some feedback on the newest Megaman tunes you uploaded.

Ha!

spenoza

I guess I'm going to be the jerk of the thread and say that while I think these tracks are all interesting exercises in musical exploration, I'm not a huge fan of your intended purpose, which is to put these tracks in behind the game. Your covers of these tracks are often way too busy and over-complicated. There are too many instruments being used and some of the instruments are used in odd ways. This isn't helped by the incorporation of themes from other games. Medley tracks make for good listening but poor BGM. The Mega Man tracks shine in part because they do a lot with a little. So while these tracks aren't bad, I definitely think they're a bad match for the actual game itself. I think this music playing in the background would be more distraction than enhancement. By all means, keep developing your music skills. Maybe read up a bit more on music theory (the tracks are a little rough around the edges, but I think that's not hard to overlook). I think you'll continue to make some good listening material. I'd much rather see much simpler and more straight-forward remixes included with the actual game, though.

Keith Courage

I've actually been thinking why bother since the CD game already has a soundtrack. lol

Not saying the tunes don't sound good by any means because they sound great. Just saying it's neither here nor there for me one way or the other.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 03/10/2017, 12:17 PMI guess I'm going to be the jerk of the thread and say that while I think these tracks are all interesting exercises in musical exploration, I'm not a huge fan of your intended purpose, which is to put these tracks in behind the game. Your covers of these tracks are often way too busy and over-complicated. There are too many instruments being used and some of the instruments are used in odd ways. This isn't helped by the incorporation of themes from other games. Medley tracks make for good listening but poor BGM. The Mega Man tracks shine in part because they do a lot with a little. So while these tracks aren't bad, I definitely think they're a bad match for the actual game itself. I think this music playing in the background would be more distraction than enhancement. By all means, keep developing your music skills. Maybe read up a bit more on music theory (the tracks are a little rough around the edges, but I think that's not hard to overlook). I think you'll continue to make some good listening material. I'd much rather see much simpler and more straight-forward remixes included with the actual game, though.
Hogwash.

These tracks will be fun accompanying the stages.

What you meant to say is that you *prefer* a certain approach to video game music (and I don't disagree with you, in general), but to say that these tracks fundamentally "won't work" is pure tripe.

Also, we need *more* and *varied* approaches to game music... be it *More* complexity, layering of tracks, increased nuances and subtlety, etc. ....

Or more simplicity, minimalism.....

...IT'S ALL GOOD, especially when you try to do things for folks (like us) who have heard the core soundtrack a BILLION TIMES.

For example: the Super Raiden CD, Double Dragon II and R-Type Complete soundtracks are absolutely excellent...but they often get criticized for "deviating too far" from the source material and not "following the formula...the essence" of the original soundtrack.

Now, these criticisms might be correct...but they miss the larger point: THEY WORK GREAT WITH THE DAMN GAME.

FINAL VERDICT: We all have our own preferences, and I can't fault you for that. :)

But P_D's tracks will be *excellent* accompanying the platforming bliss of Megaman.

ParanoiaDragon

I actually understand what spenoza's saying though.  It is hard to find the right balance.  Sometimes songs just sounded too empty, but I know it's possible to overload the songs as well.  All I can do is keep learning.  I hope someday I have time to work on more songs.  Still haven't been able to.  However, I have 2 songs left, so, here they are:

EpilogueGame Over
IMG

vacantplanets

I'm just gonna leave this here in case Tom still wants to do Mega Man 2 CD. Krzysztof made a new version of his Mega Man 2 OST cover.
Can be downloaded in any format (name your price/free) here: https://krzysztofslowikowski.bandcamp.com/album/mega-man-2-guitar-playthrough-2017