OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs

Started by Arkhan Asylum, 10/02/2015, 06:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrackTiger

I wouldn't be worried about anyone comparing the 3DS version to the PCE or anything. You could drop a lot of superfluous stuff from what's been shown so far and realign a lot of it and normal people wouldn't even notice (just like arcade ports bitd). Most tiles look to only be 2 - 4 colors and the color style isn't super subtle.

But it would be nice if each time the assets for a stage are more or less completed, that they pass them on for you guys to plan around. You could at least have the basic engines ready and a lot of assets converted by the time the first version gets released. Then ports wouldn't end up years apart and risk the license expiring.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Arm

Quote from: guest on 03/12/2017, 09:53 AMYou must have some of the BG art and sprites locked down by now. It would be kinda nice if we could get hold of something so I can at least begin to start planning how the hell I am going to convert them into PCE-friendly format.
All the assets are in possession of Chris. But for now, I think they are handling the elements which must be completed for the demo. So you should ask him directly if you have any request.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: CrackTiger on 03/13/2017, 03:59 PMI wouldn't be worried about anyone comparing the 3DS version to the PCE or anything. You could drop a lot of superfluous stuff from what's been shown so far and realign a lot of it and normal people wouldn't even notice (just like arcade ports bitd). Most tiles look to only be 2 - 4 colors and the color style isn't super subtle.

But it would be nice if each time the assets for a stage are more or less completed, that they pass them on for you guys to plan around. You could at least have the basic engines ready and a lot of assets converted by the time the first version gets released. Then ports wouldn't end up years apart and risk the license expiring.
It's the tile COUNT, not the color count that is possibly going to suck.   If we're to have tight CD audio during the gameplay, we can't be loading new crap from CD.   It would need to all fit in memory ahead of time.

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

seieienbu

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 03/13/2017, 06:07 PM
Quote from: CrackTiger on 03/13/2017, 03:59 PMI wouldn't be worried about anyone comparing the 3DS version to the PCE or anything. You could drop a lot of superfluous stuff from what's been shown so far and realign a lot of it and normal people wouldn't even notice (just like arcade ports bitd). Most tiles look to only be 2 - 4 colors and the color style isn't super subtle.

It's the tile COUNT, not the color count that is possibly going to suck.   If we're to have tight CD audio during the gameplay, we can't be loading new crap from CD.   It would need to all fit in memory ahead of time.
Any chance of making it an Arcade CD?
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Sarumaru

Quote from: seieienbu on 03/18/2017, 03:08 AM
Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 03/13/2017, 06:07 PM

Any chance of making it an Arcade CD?
I doubt that. It would severely cut down the number of people who could actually play it if it wasn't in the Super CD format.

Gredler

Is it not possible to make it compatible without an arcade card, and enhanced with an arcade card? Extra sprites or different tile maps (more unique tiles)?

Mathius

Quote from: Gredler on 03/18/2017, 02:54 PMIs it not possible to make it compatible without an arcade card, and enhanced with an arcade card? Extra sprites or different tile maps (more unique tiles)?
This tickles my bone too (lol) but the team will probably have its hands full with the Super CD portion.

seieienbu

Quote from: Gredler on 03/18/2017, 02:54 PMIs it not possible to make it compatible without an arcade card, and enhanced with an arcade card? Extra sprites or different tile maps (more unique tiles)?
Far be it from me to second guess anyone, but it seems to me that designing the game from the ground up to take full advantage of the space an Arcade Card provides would be simpler than designing a super CD+Arcade CD that takes advantage of the additional space when it's there but not do so when it isn't.  From my limited understanding, wouldn't making a version that takes advantage when it's there be like making the same game twice?
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Gredler

Quote from: seieienbu on 03/19/2017, 06:50 PMFrom my limited understanding, wouldn't making a version that takes advantage when it's there be like making the same game twice?
Yeah I assume so as well, but as Sarumaru mentioned, the pool of people with arcade cards is significantly smaller than those without arcade cards, limiting the number of people who may buy/play the game.

I was just thinking maybe there is a way to add additional content of arcade card is found when running the game, otherwise make the game Super CD compatible.

esadajr

According to the Wiki entry (yeah I know) it says Wii U is one of the platforms. Is that still a thing?
Gaming since 1985

Gredler

Quote from: esadajr on 03/20/2017, 01:25 PMAccording to the Wiki entry (yeah I know) it says Wii U is one of the platforms. Is that still a thing?
I wonder if that has switched to another Nintendo platform

Arkhan Asylum

Its officially a supergrafx arcade cd game.    Only four people will be able to play it.

Lol.

It doesnt need to be an acd game.   Its only a cd game for the music and ease of production, really.   

Brb still in japan
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

spenoza

You in Japan? Why didn't you take me with you, bitch! I can speak-a the moon language!

Psycho Punch

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 03/30/2017, 07:19 AMIts officially a supergrafx arcade cd game.    Only four people will be able to play it.
4? No need to sugar coat it dude. :lol:
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs!
I had to delete THOUSANDS of error log entries cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

td741

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 03/30/2017, 07:19 AMIts officially a supergrafx arcade cd game.    Only four people will be able to play it.
Woohoo. I'm one of those four!

Windcharger

Quote from: td741 on 04/02/2017, 11:29 AM
Great!  That means you'll be able to play my port of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night / Dracula X2: Nocturne in the Moonlight when I finish it 20 years from now...  XD

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Windcharger on 04/05/2017, 07:07 PM
Quote from: td741 on 04/02/2017, 11:29 AM
Great!  That means you'll be able to play my port of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night / Dracula X2: Nocturne in the Moonlight when I finish it 20 years from now...  XD
Race you.

Arm

First game over screen (I completed the artwork in december)

Fire-WSP

Yeah and it is just awesome @ARM!
People love it!
Power stride and ready to ride!

NecroPhile

QuoteYesterday we released a playable demo version of Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs to our backers. Today we want to share the demo with everybody else. You can try out the demo on Windows, MacOS, Linux and Dreamcast. Unfortunately a demo for Nintendo 3DS is not possible.
No mention of the PCE version.  :lol:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Arkhan Asylum

Don't worry.  He sent me the demo before it went public and we got to look at it and the art and such.

The demo was pretty well received though, so that's also a plus.

technozombie

I just got an email about a change in publisher. Will this have any effect on the PCE version?

NecroPhile

QuoteFurthermore, JoshProd will also produce the physical rewards from our Kickstarter and also take over most of the PR and community work. This is great news. This way I can focus fully on completing the project. Also release dates for each platform are up to JoshProd.
Translation: this trainwreck is now someone else's fault, but thanks for the money suckers.  :lol:

Arkhan Asylum

He asked me about publishing back in June, asking if we wanted to only develop it, or also publish it.

I said we can publish it.

Since y'know, we already did that twice.

I assume this means they're still working on the game.

In any event, this has 0 impact on the PCE version because we still have not started it.   

They had a demo in April or so, but I've not seen any assets yet for us to begin even planning what to do with their art that wasn't planned for PCE.

I pinged him, but to be fair, we're wrapping up Inferno and stuff so it isn't like we'd have been making any bold moves with anything yet anyways. 

Inferno's slightly behind because finding an MSX cartridge shell is a real pain in the ass due to low quality and racism, and so is 3D printing.

3D printing is also racist.

Arkhan Asylum

Semi-Irrelevantrelevant:

They had a functional dreamcast demo at a european game convention (gamescom)

but, again, without assets, we do not have a great starting point unless one expects Paul to do it all from scratch.

I am awaiting a response about what the current status is. 

If they intend to publish out from under us with little communication, maybe we will just make Sword Surfer and the Planet Police instead.

spenoza

I fully support the new SSatPP IP.

haightc

I haven't heard of any of these games before ( Sword Surfer and the Planet Police)
Sword Surfer looks fun and had great sound track.   Could find much on it other than one youtube video and the soundtrack.

Couldn't find anything about Planet Police.    I am guess perhaps a shmup or adventure game?

Would these be PC Engine games or perhaps I am missing a joke?

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 08/26/2017, 11:01 PMSemi-Irrelevantrelevant:

They had a functional dreamcast demo at a european game convention (gamescom)

but, again, without assets, we do not have a great starting point unless one expects Paul to do it all from scratch.

I am awaiting a response about what the current status is. 

If they intend to publish out from under us with little communication, maybe we will just make Sword Surfer and the Planet Police instead.

Arkhan Asylum

o.pwuaioc

Quote from: haightc on 08/27/2017, 09:41 PMWould these be PC Engine games or perhaps I am missing a joke?
Bigly.

NecroPhile

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 01/27/2017, 11:49 AMSo that's another unfortunate KS side effect:  You pay an idiot and they fuck off with your money.
I think this sums it up nicely.  :lol:

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: NecroPhile on 10/11/2017, 01:46 PM
Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 01/27/2017, 11:49 AMSo that's another unfortunate KS side effect:  You pay an idiot and they fuck off with your money.
I think this sums it up nicely.  :lol:
at least it frees me up to make more MSX games for you to enjoy thoroughly.

:)

lol

spenoza

I don't have or want an MSX. I have a Duo and want more fun things to play on it. I demand satisfaction, sir!

Arkhan Asylum

everyone wants an MSX.  They just don't know it yet.

OldRover

I just want an MSX so I can whine about the lack of proper scrolling like every other scrub does. :lol:
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Mathius

Quote from: The Old Rover on 10/12/2017, 04:58 PMI just want an MSX so I can whine about the lack of proper scrolling like every other scrub does. :lol:
It just adds to its charm.  :)
If you get too bugged by it just get an MSX2. It's not perfect but it can be a huge improvement.

gilbert

Or, MSX2+, which was an even bigger update. It could have smooth scrolling (real one, not faked ones by adjusting the display position like in earlier models) and multi-colour "natural picture" modes(with restrictions).

There were shops BiTD that had the system regularly on show, and I was thinking of getting this or the Mega Drive. The Super Famicom was not released yet, and the PC Engine was just a joke, an inferior 8-bit system that couldn't do any thing as good in every single department (No FM! No scroll! Not 16-bit!). Eventually I got neither, and ended up getting a PCE Duo in the early 90's.

OldRover

Quote from: Mathius on 10/12/2017, 07:00 PMIt just adds to its charm.  :)
If you get too bugged by it just get an MSX2. It's not perfect but it can be a huge improvement.
Trust me, I said that with a massive dose of sarcasm. :lol: I actually don't mind it, I was poking fun at all the plebs who bitch about it. :)
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Arkhan Asylum

Funfact: MSX2/2+ games still chunky scroll games that were written that way, lol..

There aren't many games taking advantage of the 2+'s hardware for smooth scrolling.

If the game wasn't coded for it, it won't use it.  Some people seem to think it's some magical update that magically smooths things out.   It doesn't.

Regardless, the scrolling isn't that bad.  It actually looks worse on YouTube if the videos aren't 60FPS.   

Games like Xak and stuff, on real hardware, are fine.

...who said PCE had no scrolling?  lolwtf

gilbert

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 10/12/2017, 11:33 PMIf the game wasn't coded for it, it won't use it.  Some people seem to think it's some magical update that magically smooths things out.   It doesn't.
That, of course, as in the case of MSX2 running games designed specifically for the MSX1 (and similarly, SG1000 games in SMS). It's that MSX2 was massively popular that most games in the era had support for this system. The 2+ was just not as popular to motivate more people to code for it. Talking about unpopular, let's not mention the even more advanced 16-bit TURBO-R...  [-X

Quote...who said PCE had no scrolling?  lolwtf
By that I meant no hardware 2nd background plane for parallax scrolling obviously. :roll: The "NO SCROLL" thing (I think) was actually a joke possibly most used in the forums here some years back, probably many instances in the screenshot comparison thread, with joke comments like "The PCE version has more colours than the MD one.", "But the PCE has NO SCROLL!"

I was actually a lurker here for years, but stopped visiting for awhile since member registration became mandatory, thinking I wouldn't have anything interesting to post. It's until recently that I suddenly decide to check again so eventually I registered (this site was always in my bookmark).

Arkhan Asylum

yeah you had to register after that site-fucking that happened awhile back with the shoutbox being taken over.

Turbo R is useless.  Mine sits in a box doing nothing.   I just use an MSX2 with an FM cart.   I sold my 2+s even.

gilbert

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 10/13/2017, 02:45 AMyeah you had to register after that site-fucking that happened awhile back with the shoutbox being taken over.
I actually didn't know what happened, as I couldn't view anything in the forums after that. I just guessed it was to avoid some spammer(and hater) attacks and thought the forums would return to being public some time afterwards, so I still managed to check here once a while, until... well, I realised there weren't any sign of changing and then I stopped checking. I think it's been years.

QuoteTurbo R is useless.  Mine sits in a box doing nothing.   I just use an MSX2 with an FM cart.   I sold my 2+s even.
The natural picture mode was quite popular among homebrewers though, that there were a number of "disk mags" containing mainly CG slideshows using this mode (real games that used it were sparse). These stuff (along with software for MSX2) were "widely" spread distributed shared among users from those particular shops I mentioned above. (By "widely" I meant there're probably just around a few dozens of otaku hardcore users collectors who bought the thing.)

Mathius

I'll come back and read the rest of the comments later since I love discussing the MSX. When I mentioned the MSX2 I meant specifically the 2+.

And Ark I kinda figured the 2+ didn't magically smooth out existing software. I should have been more specific.  :mrgreen:

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Mathius on 10/13/2017, 05:42 PMI'll come back and read the rest of the comments later since I love discussing the MSX. When I mentioned the MSX2 I meant specifically the 2+.

And Ark I kinda figured the 2+ didn't magically smooth out existing software. I should have been more specific.  :mrgreen:
youre good.  the perk to the 2+ is that the FM is built in.

I like my Toshiba model too much to not use it though.

that natural color mode is neat.  but i suck at art, so its not like I know how to use it so great really lol