The Analogue Turbo Duo clone shipped in time for Christmas 2023. Are you happy with yours ?? Find firmware updates here.
Main Menu

Gamestop = FAIL

Started by blueraven, 12/24/2010, 12:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bartre

Quote from: geise on 08/09/2011, 12:24 PMWell if gamestop would stop opening a fucking store on every damn corner there wouldn't be any stores shutting down.  Three went out of business in my area.  I don't mind since they were all ran by a bunch of asshats.  The funny thing is that there's still about 10 stores in the damn area.  I don't believe I've stepped into a gamestop in 4 years.  Just never had a reason to go to one.  I do however miss Electroniqs Boutique.
near me, there was a gamestop that closed about 8 months ago.
it was driven out of business by another gamestop that was not even a full block away.
well, that and a local chain that has a location 3 buildings away from the gamestop that still stands.

and yeah, the only game that's come out recently that i really had much desire to play was Catherine.
on the upside, it DID NOT DISAPPOINT.

roflmao

Out where I live there are 3 Gamestops in roughly a 1 mile radius.  I don't get it either.  I hadn't been in one for awhile until I went looking for a Capcom Classics Collection 2 for the PS2, which I thought was a pretty good buy for $7 or $8.  But for the most part newer consoles just don't hold my interest like older ones do, so 90% of their game stock I don't even notice these days.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: guest on 08/10/2011, 01:07 AMOut where I live there are 3 Gamestops in roughly a 1 mile radius.  I don't get it either.  I hadn't been in one for awhile until I went looking for a Capcom Classics Collection 2 for the PS2, which I thought was a pretty good buy for $7 or $8.  But for the most part newer consoles just don't hold my interest like older ones do, so 90% of their game stock I don't even notice these days.
I know where there's four within one mile not too far from where I live, the reason is due to leases. When they merged with Electronics Boutique they wound up with stores in the same malls and approximate shopping areas as each other. In one case there's two in a mall due to the lease, and then two a block and a half away directly across the street from one another.
--DragonmasterDan

Mathius

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 08/10/2011, 07:01 AM
Quote from: guest on 08/10/2011, 01:07 AMOut where I live there are 3 Gamestops in roughly a 1 mile radius.  I don't get it either.  I hadn't been in one for awhile until I went looking for a Capcom Classics Collection 2 for the PS2, which I thought was a pretty good buy for $7 or $8.  But for the most part newer consoles just don't hold my interest like older ones do, so 90% of their game stock I don't even notice these days.
I know where there's four within one mile not too far from where I live, the reason is due to leases. When they merged with Electronics Boutique they wound up with stores in the same malls and approximate shopping areas as each other. In one case there's two in a mall due to the lease, and then two a block and a half away directly across the street from one another.
That is just funny!

NecroPhile

They may be stuck with the leases, but why spend the money to rebrand the stores and keep 'em staffed and stocked?  It seems it'd make way more sense to sublease or use the space for storage or something.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: guest on 08/10/2011, 01:04 PMThey may be stuck with the leases, but why spend the money to rebrand the stores and keep 'em staffed and stocked?  It seems it'd make way more sense to sublease or use the space for storage or something.
The two in the Mall doesn't really make sense, the street the two are on are attached to two different shopping centers. One has a very large monster store called a Meijer in the same parking lot. The other one has a bunch of smaller stuff but is on the same side of the street as a target. My guess is if one were to close the other spot would be ideal for a Play N trade or something else. With that said... you can look out the door of one gamestop and see another. When I've asked they always said it was due to the leases.
--DragonmasterDan

blueraven

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 08/10/2011, 07:01 AMI know where there's four within one mile...
PlagueStop

DragonmasterDan

So speaking of the half price books conversation on the earlier page, here's todays "Half Priced Books has no idea what the hell they're doing" story for today.

I went into Half Priced Books, the one near me no longer leaves console peripherals out because of lack of space, so all video game hardware and accessories have DVD cases with stock images on the front. I bought what I thought would be a 6-button first party Genesis pad (by the picture on the case). As the lady came back here's what she came back with, first off was one old style Saturn controller, the launch style. She also had a model 2 Saturn controller, and a 3 button Genesis pad. I wound up taking the model 2 Saturn controller.

This is also not the first time this has happened to me there. They clearly have no idea what hardware they're taking in, nor do they have any idea of how it works. They once brought up a GameCube controller with no end (just a severed cord), when I found two cases with Sega master system pads on them they brought me regular NES controllers which don't even match the color scheme).

Bah... it's a mess there.
--DragonmasterDan

geise

blueraven

Offering me 25 cents for a stack of hardbound Sci-Fi 1st editions is fucking criminal. These guys only care about the bottom line so you're going to get some occasional deals because everyone working there is either a dumbass or doesn't care. The managers in the Madison, WI location I used to go to as a kid were two cornfed farm women who were only knowledgable about books on recipies, doilies, crocheting, and other domestic issues. It really was sad.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: blueraven on 08/24/2011, 08:17 PMOffering me 25 cents for a stack of hardbound Sci-Fi 1st editions is fucking criminal. These guys only care about the bottom line so you're going to get some occasional deals because everyone working there is either a dumbass or doesn't care. The managers in the Madison, WI location I used to go to as a kid were two cornfed farm women who were only knowledgable about books on recipies, doilies, crocheting, and other domestic issues. It really was sad.
I generally stop there on my lunch break from work. Usually it's like this, there's 5 employees there to take in merchandise but someone has to be specially called to actually check you out. Very frequently I make decisions about whether or not to buy something on whether an employee happens to be near the register, it can take forever to get checked out there as well.
--DragonmasterDan

rag-time4

There are two gamestops in one two story indoor mall in santa rosa, CA, and in fairfield CA there is one inside the mall and one in the shopping area just outside.

Raven, you will be pleasantly surprised to find not one but two gamestop locations to serve your gaming needs in davis, both very close to each other. One is on russell, near starbucks and subway, just down la rue/anderson there is another on west covell near safeway.

However, if you need anything older than ps2/360, and i know you do, youll have to go to dimple in downtown davis on F street.

alexsduo

I like how they are taking opening games to a new low.  Instead of just opening "new" games and letting their employees "borrow" them.  They are now opening new games and removing free codes, that they do not like...

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/08/report-gamestop-opening-deus-ex-copies-removing-free-game-code.ars
Manuals needed: Airzonk
hu: MC, PCE: Zero Wing

NecroPhile

What a crock of beans!  In a way I don't blame them for not wanting to promote a competing service when it was sprung on them unawares, but they should've just pulled 'em from the shelves and told Square to come get their shit.

bartre

yeah, the game store that i work at sold out of 4 shipments because of that fiasco.
i only say that because pretty much every customer who came in quoted that little switcheroo from gamestop.

alexsduo

I was at the mall, and saw a ds game I wanted, however it was in a generic case, without manual.  It was labeled as "new", I asked the guy how that was possible.  He explained that sometimes they take them out of the case or whatever, and I was like, no, I don't think this can be sold as "new", and then he told me how kids come in and steal the original artwork, and some kids put the games in their mouths, and they have to throw it away.  Still, no mention of why the game I wanted had no case, but was still new.  As, I offered to pay the used price, another associate came over and provided moral support and explained that it was new, and that was the price.  They almost make me uninterested in video games, almost.

Mathius

Quote from: alexsduo on 09/14/2011, 01:00 AMI was at the mall, and saw a ds game I wanted, however it was in a generic case, without manual.  It was labeled as "new", I asked the guy how that was possible.  He explained that sometimes they take them out of the case or whatever, and I was like, no, I don't think this can be sold as "new", and then he told me how kids come in and steal the original artwork, and some kids put the games in their mouths, and they have to throw it away.  Still, no mention of why the game I wanted had no case, but was still new.  As, I offered to pay the used price, another associate came over and provided moral support and explained that it was new, and that was the price.  They almost make me uninterested in video games, almost. 
Whoever runs that shit-for-brains company needs to be junkpunched.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: alexsduo on 09/14/2011, 01:00 AMI was at the mall, and saw a ds game I wanted, however it was in a generic case, without manual.  It was labeled as "new", I asked the guy how that was possible.  He explained that sometimes they take them out of the case or whatever, and I was like, no, I don't think this can be sold as "new", and then he told me how kids come in and steal the original artwork, and some kids put the games in their mouths, and they have to throw it away.  Still, no mention of why the game I wanted had no case, but was still new.  As, I offered to pay the used price, another associate came over and provided moral support and explained that it was new, and that was the price.  They almost make me uninterested in video games, almost. 
Which gamestop was this? I've never seen a generic game there listed as "new"?
--DragonmasterDan

alexsduo

In ze burbs my friend, the northen burbs,  lake county, where there are 3 stores within maybe 1.6 miles of each other.  Oh, the same corporation had decided to "discard" all ds cases, as I guess this takes up too much room, and must be removed... It is really sad, how they decided that manuals and cases are obsolete, and are not worthy of keeping.  Think of all the art and cool manuals lost (paper thin manuals could saved)  Think how difficult it will be to find complete copies of current games when they do this sort of thing.... Eventually ps3/xbiz/wii will be done in the same way, as they need more room for some other new or newer thing... Really terrible, as a tiny amount of americana (japanacana) will be lost forever. 

I had never seen a generic case listed as new, so I thought it was pretty interesting, but it is a microcosm of what is wrong with that company.. They only really care about profits, and so on.  They don't even sell that game on their website anymore "new", so I don't know how they would have sold it at the store new.... It is just insincere to try to pull that shit.  Even bestbuy, walmart, and target, sell "new" products with destroyed or damaged boxes at a discount.  I love reading the forums where their employees, try to chime in on stuff.  They like to say, " oh well we try to give the customer what they want, and if people had a problem with it, they should not shop there... However, 70% of the posts are slamming their practices...

blueraven

Quote from: alexsduo on 09/22/2011, 12:38 AMHowever, 70% of the posts are slamming their practices...
Pretty Much. Let's make it 72% :D

The generic Gamestop cases are horrible as well, usually a 2nd or 3rd generation case that has been shuffled around from bin to bin, with disregard for anyone who is a collector or the inner contents of the game box. Like; for example the bonus stuff (map, decoder ring, crescent wrench, etc.) that is supposed to come with the PSP Lunar boxed set. When I went to the Arden Arcade Gamestop last month the box and the UMD were being sold, and advertised as "Used" for 44.99. Only... the Box and UMD were the only thing you got for 44.99US.

Is the average gamer really a simpleton or are they doing this to piss off the retrogamers and collectors?

They just care about the bottom line PERIOD.

munchiaz

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 09/14/2011, 07:31 AM
Which gamestop was this? I've never seen a generic game there listed as "new"?
I used to work at gamestop like 4-5 years ago. I have seen many new games in generic cases. What usually happens is a less popular game comes in. Gamestop will usually only get one copy, do they display the box and put the game behind the shelf. Well if someone decides to take that box, they no loner have it. But the game is still new under there inventory system so they make a generic case and sell if for the same price. It's a bunch of bullshit. Theres usually only one gamestop i got to and thats because a good friend of mine works there and he hooks me up with stuff. Other than that theres really no reason to shop there.  I'm lucky enough to have a few mom and pop game stores in my area.

Mishran

I have a preorder for Skyrim throught them, but that doesn't technically count as a purchase until 11/11/11. :P Aside from that, I can't remember the last time I bought anything from that piss poor excuse for a game store. I wish there was ANY kind of retro game store around my area. I think its time to migrate south. :-k

Senshi

Quote from: Mishran on 10/27/2011, 07:59 AMI have a preorder for Skyrim throught them, but that doesn't technically count as a purchase until 11/11/11. :P Aside from that, I can't remember the last time I bought anything from that piss poor excuse for a game store. I wish there was ANY kind of retro game store around my area. I think its time to migrate south. :-k
I got mine coming from Amazon. They offer release date delivery for the collectors edition for a dollar. This game is going to be freakin awesome. Mishran, have you been to the Elder scrolls boards at bethesda's website?
PSN: Dynastic_Hero
Steam: Dynastic_Hero

Mishran

Quote from: Senshi on 10/27/2011, 11:24 AM
Quote from: Mishran on 10/27/2011, 07:59 AMI have a preorder for Skyrim throught them, but that doesn't technically count as a purchase until 11/11/11. :P Aside from that, I can't remember the last time I bought anything from that piss poor excuse for a game store. I wish there was ANY kind of retro game store around my area. I think its time to migrate south. :-k
I got mine coming from Amazon. They offer release date delivery for the collectors edition for a dollar. This game is going to be freakin awesome. Mishran, have you been to the Elder scrolls boards at bethesda's website?
I have, but not recently. I've never posted there. I've checked for answers and solutions pertaining to the Elder Scrolls series, that's about it. I've been a fan of the series since the release of Arena. Back when I was in middle school and all you would hear was lunchroom conversations about the game. Oh, how time flies.  :P

machomadness

I don't shop at Gamestop at all for a FEW reasons:

1. EVERY used console I EVER bought from them has had one problem or another. On the last straw, I bought THREE PS2's from there. On one, the tray didn't work. The second was dirty beyond belief(had dead roaches and EVERYTHING!!) and the third broke within a month.

2. They bullshit you about your pre-order. They stick it up your ASS to pre-order upcoming titles to the point where it's downright ANNOYING! When you do, you don't get what was promised. For example, I bought Pokemon Diamond and Pearl. I almost had to pitch a fit to get the stylus that I was supposed to get because the geniuses that work there didn't order enough to fulfill the pre-orders!

3. They open up new games and try to sell them to you as such. In any OTHER retail establishment, these would be considered "floor models" and are sold at a discount. NOT GAMESTOP! They open up copies which the employees are not only allowed to borrow, but are ENCOURAGED to. So, these games would now be technically "used", but since the general public does not know about this policy, they get away with it! The ONLY time I EVER bought a game like that, it was Ridge Racer for the 3DS and I did it because since it came out before the unit did, I knew that there was no way that anyone could've used it.

If you think it's bad as a customer, try being an EMPLOYEE! I worked there, no joke, TWO WHOLE DAYS, before I had enough of their bullshit and quit. I've seen it from BOTH SIDES!
IMG

blueraven

Quote from: machomadness on 10/28/2011, 02:31 AMThe second was dirty beyond belief(had dead roaches and EVERYTHING!!)
:-s

Sounds like they have pretty strict quality control. I've never heard of anything happening like this. Did you have to open up the system to find this out?

machomadness

Quote from: blueraven on 10/28/2011, 04:57 PM
Quote from: machomadness on 10/28/2011, 02:31 AMThe second was dirty beyond belief(had dead roaches and EVERYTHING!!)
:-s

Sounds like they have pretty strict quality control. I've never heard of anything happening like this. Did you have to open up the system to find this out?
Sort of. I had the old HDD(which I've long since sold when I got my slim a while back) and of course, I needed to open the back to put it in and that's what I saw. But, it was the smell that got me to look inside before that.
IMG

munchiaz

^ thats pretty gross. When i used to work at Gamestop, when people whould bring in dirty shit like that i would refuse to take it. I told a few customers to take it home and clean it and then we can take it.

machomadness

Then again, I live in the "'hood", so I guess they don't care as much as they should. It was so bad at one point that to trade in games, we needed to sign a police blotter. A lot of stuff was getting stolen and sold to GameStop. To this day, you need an ID to trade stuff in now, EVEN FOR STORE CREDIT!
IMG

munchiaz

yeah. We used to get people trading in Disney DVDs day of relase and shit. Trying to trade in multiple copies. It got pretty bad. Thats why i also call gamestops glorified pawn shops.

alexsduo

They are a downgraded pawn shop!

At least in the pawn shops, they know they are screwing you, and have no qualms about it. I go to them all the time to find games and systems, and stuff.  They are always willing to give a better deal, throw in something or make something happen. When I got to my favorite pawn shops, they straight up say, I paid X, and I have to double my money on that, so I can't go any lower... Gamestop, will try to convince you that the couple bucks they are giving you for a game is fair.. and won't sell a "disc only" for cheaper... The One time I traded in any game (I traded ps2s when they were giving 40 and 45 credit) Metroid 3 and Cooking Mama for Mariokart for 9.99 when it came out, and I asked if I needed to trade the manuals and cases, and they were like no, so I kept them.

Gs sells inferior products, at highly inflated prices, and offer well below a reasonable amount for "trade in" to the detriment of the consumer and industry.   Obviously they make a lot of money, and are always finding new ways, such as now buying and selling ipod.  Even Best Buy (and I believe walmart in limited ways) are buying and selling used games.  Hopefully this brings more competition, and forces better service, and lower prices, but probably won't...

Mathius

Quote from: alexsduo on 11/06/2011, 11:18 PMThey are a downgraded pawn shop!

At least in the pawn shops, they know they are screwing you, and have no qualms about it. I go to them all the time to find games and systems, and stuff.  They are always willing to give a better deal, throw in something or make something happen. When I got to my favorite pawn shops, they straight up say, I paid X, and I have to double my money on that, so I can't go any lower... Gamestop, will try to convince you that the couple bucks they are giving you for a game is fair.. and won't sell a "disc only" for cheaper... The One time I traded in any game (I traded ps2s when they were giving 40 and 45 credit) Metroid 3 and Cooking Mama for Mariokart for 9.99 when it came out, and I asked if I needed to trade the manuals and cases, and they were like no, so I kept them.

Gs sells inferior products, at highly inflated prices, and offer well below a reasonable amount for "trade in" to the detriment of the consumer and industry.   Obviously they make a lot of money, and are always finding new ways, such as now buying and selling ipod.  Even Best Buy (and I believe walmart in limited ways) are buying and selling used games.  Hopefully this brings more competition, and forces better service, and lower prices, but probably won't...
Long time no see, Alex! :D

I can vouch for Walmart not being in the used games business. Are they evil? Probably.

alexsduo

Long time indeed.......

I did not believe they were doing it on a national basis, but..

http://www.walmart.com/cp/Pre-Owned-Games/1056224

I was wrong.

I believe I remember an article which was said they were doing a kiosk type thingy that would give you cash or store credit?  I have not seen any of these machines anywhere, or any indication that they buy used games at the stores. 

I heard toys r us was doing this with ANY used game, but I think they said it needed the original box to include credit.  I was thinking of taking a bunch of sports, and then a huge gem and seeing what they did....

Mathius

Quote from: alexsduo on 11/06/2011, 11:46 PMLong time indeed.......

I did not believe they were doing it on a national basis, but..

http://www.walmart.com/cp/Pre-Owned-Games/1056224

I was wrong.

I believe I remember an article which was said they were doing a kiosk type thingy that would give you cash or store credit?  I have not seen any of these machines anywhere, or any indication that they buy used games at the stores. 

I heard toys r us was doing this with ANY used game, but I think they said it needed the original box to include credit.  I was thinking of taking a bunch of sports, and then a huge gem and seeing what they did....
Ah yes. I forgot about their online dealings. My bad.

alexsduo

Mathius, you have single handedly ruined this thread.  (jk) :)

Mathius

Quote from: alexsduo on 11/06/2011, 11:51 PMMathius, you have single handedly ruined this thread.  (jk) :)
That's what Aaron pays me to do. :wink:

alexsduo

I ruin this place and I do it for free!

cyloaiza

Quote from: alexsduo on 11/07/2011, 04:25 PMI ruin this place and I do it for free!
hence, that is why 3 people ignore you..

A_Locomotive

I despise gamestop. They have fucked me over many times, they've tried the usual sell me an open game for new prices many times and evertime I've made a scene and they gave me a sealed copy to get me out of the store. :) The worst the've done though is unforgivable. More then once they have sold me a game that didn't work at all. Last one was a copy of Zone of the Enders: The Second Runner. My PS2 wouldn't play it all even though the disc pretty good. Held it up to bright light and I could see many little pin pricks of light shinning through, some how the idiot who owned it last had had severly damaged the top of the disc. When I took it back they tried to claim it must have been something I did as they supposedy "test" every game they get.

munchiaz

^they say they test every game but thats a lie. If they get one game, maybe they will. But theres no way there going to hook up a system to test a game everything something comes in. They usually just look at the bottom of the disc for scratches and what not. Did they end up taking it back from you

NecroPhile

Quote from: A_Locomotive on 11/08/2011, 02:48 PMI despise gamestop. They have fucked me over many times...
You must like teh buttsex.  Why else would you keep going back?

Flare65

I miss the old Electronics Boutique stores.  :(

TR0N

Quote from: Flare65 on 11/10/2011, 11:58 PMI miss the old Electronics Boutique stores.  :(
I miss it more when it was babbages  :P
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

munchiaz

^ when i started working for the company, my store was still a EB games, and it was much better. We got commission on our pre orders and eb card subs. It wasn't much, but it was something to work for, and it made you try a bit harder to get them. Then GS took over and they lied and said they would also do commission and that never came to be

OldRover

The world needs a new gaming store... one run by gamers, not businessmen.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

bartre

Quote from: OldRover on 11/11/2011, 09:42 AMThe world needs a new gaming store... one run by gamers, not jackasses.
fixed that for ya.

Fatality

I wish Gamestop actually had decent sales once in awhile. I also hate that used preowned games are only $5 off from the original price. I think it should be at least $10 off.

munchiaz

i did find a copy of the dark spire at my local gamestop for $5. it has the box and manual. manual is all fucked up. But the game gose for like $40 + online. So there are times when gamestop has come through for me. But usually its not the case.

Arkhan Asylum

I don't go to gamestop unless theres free doodads for preordering a game.

I mom n pop that shiz.

I miss FuncoLand.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

blueraven

Quote from: guest on 12/01/2011, 11:22 AMI don't go to gamestop unless theres free doodads for preordering a game.

I mom n pop that shiz.

I miss FuncoLand.
Don't get me started on FuncoLand. I partied for a week when they went out of business.