10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Gamestop = FAIL

Started by blueraven, 12/24/2010, 12:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueBMW

Quote from: guest on 01/31/2011, 11:02 PMThe Gaystop by me has PC games.

They gut them but leave the CD keys in the boxes that are unsealed and on the shelves.

Cameras are built into cellphones these days.

Just sayin. 
The few by me dropped PC games about 6 months ago.  Never thought about the CD key issue... hmm :-k
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: BlueBMW on 01/31/2011, 11:03 PMThe few by me dropped PC games about 6 months ago.  Never thought about the CD key issue... hmm :-k
Lets just say, I got a bitchload of free prizes in UO because of the cd key issue.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

blueraven

Quote from: BlueBMW on 01/31/2011, 10:41 PM
Quote from: blueraven on 01/31/2011, 09:54 PMDOZENS of children were running around the Gamestop store totally insane, like refugees from a church field trip or something equally unsupervised. The employees were all on break, one was at the tobacco shop next door buying a pack of cigarettes * and the manager, I think, was tied up in the back room by the children, who were demanding a lego star wars game.  
I left.
Yeah, I never visit Gamestop anymore.  They eliminated PC games too, which would be one of the only reason's I might still go into a Gamestop.  I remember when Electronics Boutique and Software ETC were PC first, console second.... then everything started to shift.  While PC gaming is far from dead, it just doesn't feel the same as it did so long ago.
Mega Traveller 2 was my first Software Etc. Purchase.

My family's Compaq apparently had a graphics issue that made most game play impossible. Something with the 286 graphics hardware. Power Drift was immensely fucked also graphically. Someone alerted me to the faulty hardware problem about 10 years later, which explains the issue. I paid $29.99 for a game that was impossible to get out of the menu of. It was returned shortly thereafter and exchanged for a copy of Megaman 4? for the PC which also didn't work.

Galaxian only worked in CGA mode. Fucking suxX0r.

rag-time4

Had a very positive experience recently at Gamestop over in San Bruno after a visit to my mother's place. My wife and I went in on a mission to see if they had an aftermarket power adapter for Wii that could handle Philippines voltage, which is 220v or 240v on plugs the same shape as a US/Japan plug. Of course the official Nintendo power adapter sold in the US is only capable of a 120v input, so we inquired about Gamestop's aftermarket power adapter. The guy we worked with, Reggie, understood what we were looking for and took time to look in his backroom and was able to find a loose aftermarket power adapter to check the voltage... They only had new ones up front but we were unable to check the voltage rating because of the packaging. I ended up talking with him a few minutes about games... Overall it was a very positive experience, especially since I was able to walk out with what I went in looking for.

alexsduo

I always ask if they have the nintendo or the turbo grafx games, and the good employees always know what I am talking about...
Manuals needed: Airzonk
hu: MC, PCE: Zero Wing

blueraven

Most of the time they just stare at you with a totally blank look, counting the minutes until they can go on break.

I went to the Gamestop a few towns away today. And I asked if they had any Nintendo carts, to which my response was:

"Oldskool Nintendo? Like Gamecube?"

#-o

DirkFunk

Gamestop can frigg off.

The people who work there aren't even knowledgable about current systems. I had to explain PS3 compatibiity to a customer because the gs employee got it very wrong.

The gs employee had this guy thinking the most expensive model could play ps2 games. But the cheaper one couldn't. . . I mean really.

VestCunt

Quote from: DirkFunk on 06/15/2011, 05:58 PMThe gs employee had this guy thinking the most expensive model could play ps2 games. But the cheaper one couldn't. . . I mean really.
Wow.  That's the kind of service I only expect at Radio Shack!
Topic Adjourned.

alexsduo

Um, I worked at Radio Shack, oh, yeah that makes sense.  I did like that they marginally sell video games, and then the store I worked at closed.  I may have had something to do with it.

blueraven

Radio Shack also = FAIL due to the fact that it is $14.95 for a 1-foot cat5 cable that would have cost .92c after tax at the electronics store.

They mark shit up in small towns. Bastards.

VestCunt

Their salesmen are the most voracious and wily SOB's I've ever seen working for commission.  When I was a young whippersnapper back in 2001, I walked into Radio Shack intending to buy a new record player and walked out with their stupid RCA surround sound speakers.  Not my finest moment.

EDIT:  the clerk even busted out the "you seem like the kind of guy who appreciates quality" line on me!   :oops:
Topic Adjourned.

alexsduo

Yeah, I looked at the cost of things on the items I sold, and I was always horrified... Like the ac adapter stuff is like .49 cents, and they charge 9.99.

You seem like the kind of guy who appreciates quality, maybe you should try a different store?

You should never get a record player from there... Pawn shops are much better, you can find a SL1200 for a good deal most likely...

When I was working there, I think I got minimum wage or just above it.  Terrible place to work... The only way I made any money was to convience people that their shitty cell phone was crap, and it was not worth it to spend $40 (for a $1 battery) and that a new phone would be free or even cheaper than the battery, yeah!  But, it was so much work to sell a cell phone, I didn't care..

I did get to read almost all of Snow Crash, whilst on the clock!

blueraven

"The Deliverator's car has enough horsepower to fire a pound of bacon into orbit..."

I'm glad they paid you to read that book  :mrgreen:

alexsduo

Barely paid me :), I don't think I finished it, but it was really great!

DirkFunk

I actually can't believe Radio Shack is still around.

Last time I went in there I was looking for an Optical Audio cable. They had a giant selection of ONE. It was 6' and $40.

I left laughing.

roflmao

Yeah, 99% of the store is full of useless overpriced crap, but it sure is convenient to have a place normally within a few miles of wherever you are when you need some random electronic bit.  When I was a Tech Mgr for Chuck E Cheese I stopped by probably on a weekly basis just because it was more convenient to run out and pick up an led or resistor or whatever rather than wait for it to arrive in the mail (and save a ton of money).

I love walking into one, having an employee ask me if I need help with anything, and then get a blank stare when I ask about some specific bit I'm looking for.  And usually they have what I'm looking for. :) 

There's just so much nerdy goodness crammed into those little shops, even if it's becoming more and more a place that focuses on cell phones and home theater equipment.  It'll be a sad day for me when they disappear.

alexsduo

I think it is one of the only "chains" that has electronic parts, usually in good supply, even if they are ahem a rip...

I remember they had "tests" on the computer for like different sections, and I completed all but the ham radio one in a day, because they were so easy... I didn't even get a certificate :(.  But, 30% off all radioshack brand stuff.

Back to the topic at hand, do gamestop employees get a store discount?

DirkFunk

I do agree that RS is convenient.

I would never make another major purchase there. I bought speakers there in like 1995. . . what a huge mistake. But when you need something ASAP Radio Shack is great.

blueraven

Quote from: alexsduo on 06/16/2011, 10:04 PMBarely paid me :), I don't think I finished it, but it was really great!
Finish the book. Then read "Zodiac"

Radio Shack is designed to make the maximum amount of profit off of electronics end-users and unwitting doddering old people who end up getting sold crappy phone service.  

I always end up leaving there with a horrible taste in my mouth, angry at the overpriced junk, and the bare-minimum selection of actually needed electronics parts like capacitors, chips, and cables. The barely-functional employees usually have a very base knowledge of things, and I almost always get sent to a manager who tells me they don't have it.

alexsduo

Yessir!  Will do, and then grab the second book... I remember it being a great read, I will have to re-read it... I think I would really get into it, and then stupid customers would come in and want a dsl filter or some other stupid shit.. So, I never really got to enjoy it.

Mathius

I still have my pair of stereo speakers I bought at RS in the mid 90s. It's hooked up to my TV right now to provide me with retro-gaming goodness that sounds as good as it looks! :)

alexsduo

I went to RStoday at the Gurnee Mills.  I almost bought a minidv cleaner for $3, boom mic stand for $10, and drum/guitar seat for $10, but then I bought Joy Division Permanent on ebay for $3.91 shipped instead, and I felt better for not getting that other bullshit.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: alexsduo on 06/22/2011, 01:26 AMI went to RStoday at the Gurnee Mills.  I almost bought a minidv cleaner for $3, boom mic stand for $10, and drum/guitar seat for $10, but then I bought Joy Division Permanent on ebay for $3.91 shipped instead, and I felt better for not getting that other bullshit.
i L to the OL'd
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

discomeats

In the 80's the UK arm of radio shack used to have shitloads of goodies, electronic components and all kinds, alas, then I was too n00b to appreciate it, by the time it was the 90's they had transitioned into a shitty generic high street retailer selling shitter crap than the other ripoff shitty highstreet retailers and eventually just imploded in their own shit and then they left the UK as they were just too ghetto for even the UK
This post has been rigorously checked for conifers.

If you're not ready to defend your clams, don't don't leave them unguarded in a crate on the beach.

alexsduo

I feel like there were some cool video game shops in England was I was there.  I am still lamenting about not going to get to see the retro goodness at http://www.gameover.nl/ when I was there too... That made me sad.

discomeats

I gave up looking for games in shops a long time ago, if I have sudden urges I'll ebay or erm.. hold my hand out and they drop out of the sky.

If you're not ready to defend your clams, don't don't leave them unguarded in a crate on the beach.

alexsduo

NecroPhile

Quote from: discomeats on 06/24/2011, 03:03 PMI gave up looking for games in shops a long time ago, if I have sudden urges I'll ebay or erm.. hold my hand out and they drop out of the sky.
Which explains your avatar.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

discomeats

Yes, it most likely does.

alexsduo

and then there are sprouts.

blueraven

OK: in appreciation for how on-topic we are here in Fighting Street about how FAIL these stores are I decided to take a trip to the burbs to find out how many Gamestops there actually are in this town, and what the actual breakdown for used vs New games was:

For a game that I was offered $4 CREDIT for complete;

FF Tactics PSP Used no manual generic box: $17.99
FF Tactics PSP Used Complete $19.99
FF Tactics PSP Greatest Hits New $22.99

If people could report back on prices across the board that would be cool. I'm wondering if there is any drastic varinace.

NecroPhile

Quote from: blueraven on 06/27/2011, 10:56 PMFF Tactics PSP Used no manual generic box: $17.99
And available brand new from Amazon for $9.99.  :lol:

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: NecroPhile on 06/28/2011, 10:36 AM
Quote from: blueraven on 06/27/2011, 10:56 PMFF Tactics PSP Used no manual generic box: $17.99
And available brand new from Amazon for $9.99.  :lol:
lol i wonder if gamestop gives >10$ in trade for used ones.

NecroPhile

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 06/28/2011, 06:01 PMlol i wonder if gamestop gives >10$ in trade for used ones.
Master Caw says $4, but maybe they'll go up to $4.50 if it's new.

alexsduo

I was at a local store and they were like "we don't take new games" and the guy behind the counter had to basically tell the guy to open it at home and bring it back.  Idiot.

NecroPhile

Quote from: alexsduo on 06/30/2011, 04:25 AMI was at a local store and they were like "we don't take new games" and the guy behind the counter had to basically tell the guy to open it at home and bring it back.  Idiot.  
I can kinda understand that - they don't wanna buy a resealed case filled with newspaper clippings and/or be in possession of stolen goods.

alexsduo

I think they were worried about stolen goods.  However, just cause something is open don't mean it aint stolen either.  The half price books does sell new sealed games, but they have shitty psx and n64 sports games...

blueraven

Half Price Books can be pretty FAIL too. Only one horrible experience there; They offered me the lowest payout for a bunch of Hardcover Science Fiction first editions from the 80's; $5 for a lot of 10 books.  :shock:

I ended up trading them to a local Sci-Fi book shop called Alternate Realities (OOB 2002?) for some 1st & 2nd edition D&D stuff. They gave me like $125 in credit.

I think the chain stores that have buyback policies rip people off in general.

alexsduo

I agree, but where else can I dump old travel books, diet books and other shitty books that no one will ever buy?

I have never seen gamestop have different prices for manuals, original cases and etc. At the ones in Illinois and Michigan that I have been to, they are all exactly the same price, with manual, without, with case and without...

The ONLY times I traded in anything was cooking mama and metroid for wii.  Because they had a deal, trade in 2 games on a list, and receive mario kart brand new for $9.99.  So, I traded that shit I found on CL for cheap, for a balling new game.  Oh and then they were giving 35 credit for each ps2 with controller for some reason several months ago, so I unloaded a lot of them :).  Other than that WHY?  A used wiimote will net you $8, and then they will sell it for 29.99 or more? 

I had the original cases and manuals, and I asked the kid there, do I have to trade those in too, and he's like I guess not.  So I kept them, and then realized they have points, and then I got metroid months later real cheap as well.

I know that best buy now has used games for sale, for wii/ps3/360, they are resealed and so on... Hopefully gs starts lowering prices or offers more money...

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: alexsduo on 06/30/2011, 11:54 AMI think they were worried about stolen goods.  However, just cause something is open don't mean it aint stolen either.  The half price books does sell new sealed games, but they have shitty psx and n64 sports games...
I'm friends with an employee at a store that sells second-hand DVDs, games, BluRays and CDs. One reason that policy exists is that there have been instances where after taking back product she has actually been subpoenaed to court in cases over theft for merely being the person who took in (apparently stolen) product. Taking in new/sealed product increases that risk and a lot of stores are unwilling to do so for exactly the reason I described. Considering a lot of these people are just cashiers making less than 10.00 an hour it's not worth it to them to have to go to court because some asshat sells stolen goods.
--DragonmasterDan

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: blueraven on 06/30/2011, 01:46 PMHalf Price Books can be pretty FAIL too. Only one horrible experience there; They offered me the lowest payout for a bunch of Hardcover Science Fiction first editions from the 80's; $5 for a lot of 10 books.  :shock:

I ended up trading them to a local Sci-Fi book shop called Alternate Realities (OOB 2002?) for some 1st & 2nd edition D&D stuff. They gave me like $125 in credit.

Halfprice books doesn't treat rare, pricey old books as they should be treated.

I got deities and demigods w/ Cthulhu Mythos for 1$ lol.

Suckers.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: guest on 07/08/2011, 03:01 PMHalfprice books doesn't treat rare, pricey old books as they should be treated.

Suckers.
The half priced books near me generally overprices everything, they used to be much much better as far as prices go. But... that has changed.

Every now and then I find really good deals there, I got a bunch of Turbo games fairly inexpensively there, including Chew Man Fu which is difficult to find. I also found a Neo-Geo Pocket Color with flash cart, flash cart read/writer and a SHock N rock for 40.00.

But... in general they seem to overprice stuff at the one near my office.
--DragonmasterDan

blueraven

Quote from: guest on 07/08/2011, 03:01 PM
Quote from: blueraven on 06/30/2011, 01:46 PMHalf Price Books can be pretty FAIL too. Only one horrible experience there; They offered me the lowest payout for a bunch of Hardcover Science Fiction first editions from the 80's; $5 for a lot of 10 books.  :shock:

Halfprice books doesn't treat rare, pricey old books as they should be treated.

Suckers.
LOL I'm starting to feel better =)

alexsduo

The Skokie one?

I agree their prices are high, but I have found some great deals, i.e. wireless nes messiah controllers!

JoshTurboTrollX

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 07/08/2011, 03:52 PM
Quote from: guest on 07/08/2011, 03:01 PMHalfprice books doesn't treat rare, pricey old books as they should be treated.

Suckers.
The half priced books near me generally overprices everything, they used to be much much better as far as prices go. But... that has changed.

Every now and then I find really good deals there, I got a bunch of Turbo games fairly inexpensively there, including Chew Man Fu which is difficult to find. I also found a Neo-Geo Pocket Color with flash cart, flash cart read/writer and a SHock N rock for 40.00.

But... in general they seem to overprice stuff at the one near my office.
The only experience I've had with 1/2 price books is one time in Indianapolis.  I dug up lots of goodies in their 4 for a $1 comic box.  Otherwise I thought the Manga's were decently priced in comparison to like a Barnes & Nobles or something.  And they had retro games, something that Gamestop doesn't.
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

bartre

the hpb nearest me is pretty good, not the best, but not bad either.
i saw a guide for golden sun 1+2 for $75, which blew my mind, but then i got the guide for FF origins for $1.
their comics section is good, $.50 to $1 for comics, depending on condition and if they're bagged and such.
also, they toss stuff into the clearance bin pretty regularly, which is how i got the one piece movie on dvd for $2

marktheshark

There was a Gamestop near me that's actually pretty good & much better compared to other Gamestops in the area. All the employees are friendly & I actually got some pretty good deals from there too. The store unfortunately had shut down earlier this year which will end my Gamestop experience.

geise

Well if gamestop would stop opening a fucking store on every damn corner there wouldn't be any stores shutting down.  Three went out of business in my area.  I don't mind since they were all ran by a bunch of asshats.  The funny thing is that there's still about 10 stores in the damn area.  I don't believe I've stepped into a gamestop in 4 years.  Just never had a reason to go to one.  I do however miss Electroniqs Boutique.

Mathius

I think the biggest issue with Gamestop is selling used copies of new release games with a savings of $5. Gamestop employees are trained to sell these used copies instead of new when a customer asks for the new ones. This is exactly why developers are shutting doors and the industry is in the shape that it's in.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: Mathius on 08/09/2011, 01:41 PMI think the biggest issue with Gamestop is selling used copies of new release games with a savings of $5. Gamestop employees are trained to sell these used copies instead of new when a customer asks for the new ones. This is exactly why developers are shutting doors and the industry is in the shape that it's in.
It certainly contributes, but it's not entirely to blame for companies making cookie cutter games, making bad business decisions, spending too little time and money in pre-production, and generally making expensive to produce and in-distinctive products that are released as a copy of something popular and are forced to compete with other knockoffs of the exact same titles.

Piracy, used game sales, and other factors all contribute a tiny bit to potentially lost revenue. But more often than not games fail to be profitable due to the reasons described above.
--DragonmasterDan