PCE or TG-16

PC Engine?
24 (70.6%)
TurboGrafx 16?
10 (29.4%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Voting closed: 06/27/2006, 04:26 AM

Joe Redifer

I probably do need to see it in person.  If I did I imagine my opinion would improve. Who here wants to send me theirs (to keep forever, of course) ?  I'll pay shipping!

Quote from: SignOfZetaThe unit itself isn't bad (I guess), but then there is that huge plastic shell thing on the back that will NOT stay on because its a total POS.
No, yours will not stay on for whatever reason.  Most of them stay on just fine.  To prove it, I just made this quick little video with my digital still camera (therefore the quality sucks).  Watch it.  It's only 1.1 MB (Quicktime format).  There isn't any sound.  Notice how even I, with all of my manliness, have a hard time removing the damn thing.

Keranu

Haha, I love your video, Joe! The different camera shots you set up were great and a big LOL to Radiant Silvergun showing up after the System Card screen :D .
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

Seldane

Ha ha, I love the video. :)

Makes me want a Turbo Grafx even more. DAMN that thing looks awesome!
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG
Indeed, it's AV time. Check out: IMG! Sir, the door was open.

Keranu

Same here, but I really shouldn't be buying one :( .
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG

esteban

Let me go on record that I love the PCE + CD, but its aesthetic design is severly lacking. In fact, I'd so far as to say that the reason I enjoy the the suitcase is because it was 100% utilitarian design -- utility, not style, was the driving force behind the suitcase's aesthetic.

That said, our discussion is about design for design's sake, and the PCE + CD lacks "style" (you know what I mean).

I think I have to be a loser and repeat myself:
Quote from: "I'm quoting myself, like a loser"The TG-16 console has great aesthetics (compared to the hideous, goofy Genesis/MegaDrive and the ugly, awkward SNES). Sure, TG-16 was wide, but it was still slim with a low-profile (the cover on the bus stays snugly in place for me). I think TG-16 (sans logo) would look contemporary alongside today's electronics. Can you say this of any other console? Now, the TurboBooster (Plus) doubled the depth of the console and consequently stripped away the elgance of the core TG-16 design, but, on the other hand, I always liked the aesthetics of the TG-16 + TG-CD combo. It's quirky, but it is actually a lot cleaner (aesthetically) and more streamlined than the PCE suitcase combo, IMO. Sure, this might not be saying much (since the suitcase looks as if it was "slapped together"), but I offer TG-CD as evidence of the neat, uniquely North Amercian aesthetic that too few folks appreciate. The Genesis stacked atop a Sega-CD forms a big ugly brick... tell me, is the TG-CD really so bad?

For comparison: In my humble opinion, the NES had a great utilitarian design and the SMS was the most "futuristic-looking" console design of the 80's (not a bad thing, in my book, since I dig the odd angles and sharp corners and shiny surfaces of the SMS).
I stand by my earlier statements:
1) The shell on the back of the TG-16 stays snugly in place for me. I've handled at least two dozen TG-16 consoles over the years.
2) The Sega-CD + Genesis was a huge FUGLY brick.
3) The Genesis / MegaDrive always looked like a gawdy, goofy toy.
4) In fact, no North American console has aged well... but the TG-16 is the least fugly of them all!
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Seldane

Was the Turbo Grafx really designed in North America?
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG

SignOfZeta

Quote from: "Joe Redifer"To prove it, I just made this quick little video with my digital still camera (therefore the quality sucks).  Watch it.  It's only 1.1 MB (Quicktime format).  There isn't any sound.  Notice how even I, with all of my manliness, have a hard time removing the damn thing.

That's quite funny...and pro, if I may say so.

I guess my brother's TG-16 was just a freak then.
IMG

SignOfZeta

Quote from: "Seldane"Makes me want a Turbo Grafx even more. DAMN that thing looks awesome!

That's...a joke, right? It has to be a joke. The only system more ugly than a TG-16 is the original XBox.
IMG

Keranu

I don't think he's joking because I quite love the TG16 design as well.
IMG

Tatsujin

i never could get the taste of the TG system. here 10 good reasons why:

1. never owned one (no nostalgic feelings)
2. measures more than double the size of the pce (why in heavens name?)
3. it looks just clumsy like typical american home-electronic stuff
4. the font doesn't fit and looks silly
5. the boxart comes directly from hell
6. black isn't beauty all the time
7. the name makes no sense, dosen't fit as well und sounds just ugly (ok, not a real argument though. anyway :wink:  )
8. i can't see any thought behind the whole design and concept
9. can't find the on/off switch well in dim light (i believe)
10. and last but not least, it is evil!!!
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

GUTS

Man the original Sega CD/Genesis combo was awesome looking, I don't know what you're on about Steve!  The second model was ugly as hell, but the original was great.  I don't think I've ever met anyone who thought the Turbo Grafx was cool looking, the Duo yeah, but the ol Turbo is one of the ugliest systems ever made (second only to the Jaguar).

BUT for something that completely holds up today and smokes all other systems for aesthetics, the Sega CDX is awesome looking.

guyjin

To take the topic in a completely different direction (and because tatsujin mentioned the whole 'dark room' thing) One of the things that annoys me about both American and Japanese systems (other than the single controller port) is the lack of a power light.

Would it have been really hard to replace the orange sticker with clear plastic, and shove a red LED back there?

Joe Redifer

Quote2. measures more than double the size of the pce (why in heavens name?)
I already explained why.

The Turbo's switch is just as easy to find in the dark as the PCE's switch.  Not too many places it could be.  Does the PCE have an LED?

Quotethe ol Turbo is one of the ugliest systems ever made (second only to the Jaguar).
I think the Shuttle Grafx or whatever it is called is a wee bit uglier than the Jaguar.

Tatsujin

Joe, don't take my list that serious ;)

but number 1 will fit the most :)
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Tatsujin

Quote from: "Joe Redifer"I think the Shuttle Grafx or whatever it is called is a wee bit uglier than the Jaguar.
you mean the super grafx? :wink:

the pce shuttle came in a spaceship shape, coz they tried to bond more young customer with a toy-like design :wink: but doesn't look that ugly actually.

Keranu

Both the Super Grafx and PC Engine Shuttle look awesome, both are very original designs. I also enjoy the model 1 Genesis design with Sega CD, though I can see where Steve is coming from when calling it a stack of bricks, but I still thought that stack of bricks looked neat. Model 2 Genesis is incredibly boring looking and the same could be said about CDX really, except CDX looks a little cooler since it's like a discman :P . Atari Jaguar doesn't look too bad, but it's kind of boring looking like model 2 Genesis. Duos are sleek.

Just my quick thoughs in a sloppy post ;) .
IMG

Tatsujin

indeed. the supergrafx look strange and not really console-like! but awesome! daimakaimura every day :wink:

the MD+CD 1 combo also look awesome! just not like an other brick ;)

the MD+CD2 combo is not that kewl! never owned one my self and i know why!

Shadow

jede tag abtrugg fumpf pfrangg!

the SGFX is actually a really cool design.... anyone who says the TGFX has a better design should really burn in h**** ;-)

the only, the one and only good decision of Turbo USA was to take the Duo Design and release it in the US as the Turbo Duo.... the rest was crap.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!

www.lightspeed.ch
Fun, Games 'n Friends

GUTS

I like the CDX because it was genius, it still looks cool today.  It's so tiny it just fits in with anything, and you always get the "What the hell, that thing plays Sega games?" when people see it.  It's a little marvel of engineering!

Personally I think the white Duo and the white Sega Saturns are the coolest looking systems ever, but it were talking American systems only I would say the Duo, CDX, and actually those little white Playstation systems are really cool looking too.  I'm a big fan of white, haha.

Keranu

I have one of those little white PSOnes, can't say I am a fan of that. Maybe it's because it worked like shite for me and broke soon.  :evil:
IMG

Seldane

I think the small PS1 looks awesome. I bought one solely for its looks. I absolutely hate PS1 and all the games on it though.

PS2 is the best looking console ever in my opinion. Both the large and small models. Perfection!
IMG

SignOfZeta

Well...it takes all kinds, I guess.
IMG

esteban

Quote from: "GUTS"I like the CDX because it was genius, it still looks cool today.  It's so tiny it just fits in with anything, and you always get the "What the hell, that thing plays Sega games?" when people see it.  It's a little marvel of engineering!

Personally I think the white Duo and the white Sega Saturns are the coolest looking systems ever, but it were talking American systems only I would say the Duo, CDX, and actually those little white Playstation systems are really cool looking too.  I'm a big fan of white, haha.
I totally agree with you about the CDX and Sega Saturn. The CDX is especially awesome because it was a great *concept* that was executed beautifully to result in a sleek piece of plastic.

I think I should stress that I am much more impressed with items like the CDX (which was a "re-envisioning" of existing hardware) than the model 1 and model 2 Genesis / MegaDrive hardware. I owned a model 1 Genesis + Sega-CD and it always felt like a clunky amplifier + turntable (stacked components for a stereo) instead of a high-tech piece of electronics. I absolutely hated the genesis 1 aesthetics, including, but not limited to all the goofy text emblazoned on it. Only really cheap, low end consumer electronics (i.e. a Yorx branded stereo from Kmart) did that sort of thing. Sorry if I offend you, but the Genny *looked* like a goofy toy.

As a console, of course, the Genny ruled! I'm talking purely about aesthetics.

Let me go on the record that model 1 SMS = lovely! (see my initial post for the reasons) while the redesined model 2 SMS = absolutely bland garbage.

Unlike most of you folks here, I didn't hate the model 2 Genesis + CD combo, though it might have been lackluster (at worst), at least it didn't hurt the eyes and offend good taste like model 1 Genesis.

I feel that SuperGrafx is in league with Genesis / MegaDrive when it comes to goofy aesthetics. They both look like toys to me... sorry! At least SuperGrafx has an exceedingly "militaristic" feel, while the Genesis looks like a prop from the movie STARCRASH.

Keranu

SuperGrafx rocks, it's designed like a frickin' car engine :lol: . And the font on it is awesome. I really want to get one, if only for the aesthetics alone!
IMG

Tatsujin

yeah! just one of the freakest console designs ever created. PC Motor :lol:

Joe Redifer

Quote from: "Steve"I absolutely hated the genesis 1 aesthetics, including, but not limited to all the goofy text emblazoned on it.
But at least the early Genesis 1 was in high definition.  They wouldn't have put that on there if it weren't true!  I bet it can even do 1080p!

Quote from: "Steve"Let me go on the record that model 1 SMS = lovely! (see my initial post for the reasons) while the redesined model 2 SMS = absolutely bland garbage.
Agreed 100%.

Keranu

Quote from: "Tatsujin"yeah! just one of the freakest console designs ever created. PC Motor :lol:
Lets design a car that uses the Super Grafx as the engine. Hey, maybe we could use the TG16+CD as the flux capacitor also so our car can time travel! If that's the case, we better design the car as a DeLorean.
IMG

GUTS

That's why I liked the model 1 Genesis/CD combo, it looked like stacked stereo components.  Maybe it's because I never had any good stereo equipment when I was young, but for some reason that stacked look was what high end electronics should look like in my mind.

The original Master System was pretty cool looking, I definitely agree.

Keranu

Original Master System design rocks.
IMG

Tatsujin

SMS rox, but the mark III even more :D

Seldane

Master System rocks I agree, but it isn't exactly pretty, but I like it anyway. I only think about one thing when I see one: Ys.  :lol:
IMG

esteban

Quote from: "GUTS"That's why I liked the model 1 Genesis/CD combo, it looked like stacked stereo components.  Maybe it's because I never had any good stereo equipment when I was young, but for some reason that stacked look was what high end electronics should look like in my mind.
OK, I see where you are coming from :). As a peace offering, let me say that Genny+CD definitely succeeded in fostering the image in question  ("stacked stereo components") and I'll leave it at that.

I really am not a Genny hater, despite my earlier tirades :).

Quote from: "Joe"
Quote from: "Steve"Steve wrote:
I absolutely hated the genesis 1 aesthetics, including, but not limited to all the goofy text emblazoned on it.

But at least the early Genesis 1 was in high definition. They wouldn't have put that on there if it weren't true! I bet it can even do 1080p!
:)

I really don't loathe the Genny's aesthetics... I just have fun teasing folks while discussing TG-16's unappreciated qualities :).

Vanquish

Did you know that we had an european turbografx? It was called Turbografx, but without the "16".
It had no aceptation at all and in the early 90s you could find it for about 30€ brand new. Now people pay about 90€ for these.
They include Blanzing Lazers, rf cable, av cable and ac adaptor. And i want one.
IT is like the TG16 but with a lighter colour. go to ebay and look for a picture of it.
I think it looks nicer than the TG16, sorry :P

BTW the PCE looks great, specially if it is clear white and it is not yellowed.

Seldane

You sure the PAL unit includes Blazing Lazers? Yeah I posted a picture of one here (no that was NFGames) a while ago.

IMG
IMG

Vanquish

yeah it came with blazing lazers, but people on ebay use to keep them, sell them console and then sell the game for more $$$  :cry:

guyjin

I see they had the sense to put a game on the cover of the box (yay R-type!)

Unlike the US box...
IMG
is that the original box, or is there another? (suprisingly hard to find a TG16 box pic...)

Keranu

When I first saw the TG16 box with that dude's face on it, I thought it was pretty scary, seriously :D . But now I love seeing it and I really should get a boxed TG16 someday, if only just for that box!
IMG

Joe Redifer

That dude is awesome.  He graces my TG-16 box.  He watches me play games, and he is obviously happy about it.  I mean god damn!

Keranu

See man, your post is only making me want to get one even more now! :D Really, I shouldn't be spending money on more hardware, especially when I already have a Duo and Express so I can already play those games!
IMG

Joe Redifer

I, for one, think it is hilariously awesome that you want to buy a TurboGrafx-16 in the box just because of that dude.  Granted, he is indeed quite the system-seller.  I'm not sure why he never got his own game.

esteban

Quote from: "guyjin"I see they had the sense to put a game on the cover of the box (yay R-type!)

Unlike the US box...
is that the original box, or is there another? (suprisingly hard to find a TG16 box pic...)
The box pictured was the only one you'll find for the North American market. They never changed the box art, but over the years they pasted various stickers (some large) on the basic box to highlight special promotions.

GUTS

Yeah that guy looks fucking STOKED to be playing Turbo Grafx.  It really gets you excited for whats inside the box when you have a square jawed, model looking guy super pumped about it.

Keranu

Hahaha, square jawed. Damn I need a boxed TG16, GUTS post isn't helping...
IMG

Tatsujin

Quote from: "Joe Redifer"That dude is awesome.  He graces my TG-16 box.  He watches me play games, and he is obviously happy about it.  I mean god damn!
everybody needs some kinda very nice guy who's watching the games!

TurboXray

Square-jawed? I know this one dude who makes this guy's jaw look oval as hell. But he does have a Mike Mckinney smile (from Kids in the Hall) - the guy on the box, I mean.

Keranu

Quote from: "Bonknuts"But he does have a Mike Mckinney smile (from Kids in the Hall) - the guy on the box, I mean.
YES! I thought that dude on the box looked like someone and Mike McKinney is a very good candidate! I also kinda thought that dude on the box looked a little like my man Christian Slater, but only a little. He gets the hair (along with hairline) and forehead from Slater and the square-jaw smile from McKinney. :lol:
IMG

Seldane

That guy's haircut is soo 80's...
IMG

NeoFreak

hey if we are going to talk boxes, im sorry but the neo takes the cake. the thing is like a meter wide; and it was just a giant replica of the system itself.

IMG
IMG
NEC n.(en•E•shee)

GUTS

Yeah his jaw is no Luke Wilson's, but it's a pretty manly one.  I think he must have a been a Sega fan to begin with since Genesis fans are square-jawed lumberjack material, maybe he migrated to the Turbo when he played Legendary Axe and realized the Turbo was pretty damn manly too.

PC Gaijin

The Turbo box is cool. It even has a handle. I used to use the Turbo box to carry the system over to my friends' houses before I got the CD player and its carrying case.

I love the late 80s Turbo branding. Neon orange, yellow, and black. Acid wash jeans and Converse shoes. Yeah man, the Turbo was cool! It dated very (very) quickly however. I was kind of sad that NEC dropped their early branding so quickly. "The Higher Energy Video Game System" and "There's still time to prepare your nervous system". Those were the early Turbo taglines. :lol: My favorites Turbo ads were the Super Mario exploding heads.