Patching CD games?

Started by MNKyDeth, 10/19/2015, 10:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MNKyDeth

I wasn't sure where to post this....

I want to burn myself a copy of Ys 4 and Dracula X with the english translations.
My problem is .....

I have never patched a CD before...

I only have an optical drive that can burn disc's in a Linux based computer. I only have one windows computer and I only use that for gaming or streaming games to the Linux computers.

If anyone is familiar with patching games on a Linux based computer and that can tell me how it would be much appreciated.

NecroPhile

I find patching to be too difficult (I am le dumb), so I just google a prepatched iso to burn.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

MNKyDeth

Quote from: guestI find patching to be too difficult (I am le dumb), so I just google a prepatched iso to burn.
Aww.. Nope, just a wee bit drunk... Dangit lol.

Tell you what... Maybe google has something I can google. :)

Fricken love Paulaner beer... seriously. I really do love it, they stock it for me at my local party store just for me I think. o.O

NecroPhile

I wasn't being sarcastic and implying that you're too dumb to figure it out, I really am le dumb.  I got tired of getting errors and burning coasters, so I gave up trying to figure it out and went with the path of least resistance.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

MNKyDeth

Quote from: guestI wasn't being sarcastic and implying that you're too dumb to figure it out, I really am le dumb. I got tired of getting errors and burning coasters, so I gave up trying to figure it out and went with the path of least resistance.
It's cool man, but I really am drunk...  Working on my 14th beer I think and I really cannot think of how to patch this thing lol.

Some Judas Priest blaring in my ears and I can barely sit straight up in my chair, plugging away at keys getting noticed by the NSA on other forums I am sure.

shawnji

Here's a silly question for you; but let's say, for the sake of argument, I wanted to follow all the normal steps for patching Ys IV and then convert it to a format that would be playable on the build of Mednafen that was made for the Wii.  What format is best?  I've heard BIN / CUE is not recommended, but it's how most of my disc images are formatted and they seem to work well on the aforementioned emulator.  I don't particularly want to run a burned disc in my Duo if I can help it.  I own Ys IV, and have played it several times, but I still have only played the patched version without the dub, and I'd really like to hear it.

TurboXray

Bin/Cue is fine as a format (probably the best format so far), but it becomes a problem when applying patches. And ISO is a 'cooked' data track. They should always be the same for any rip of a game (minus some un-important trailing bytes). ISO is also easier to patch because of this. CD audio tracks are easier to replace as well.

There are a few revisions of Ys4, IIRC, and I'm not sure if that presents a problem when in bin/cue format. With iso/cue/wav all you have to do is replace the wave files and patch the main ISO file. Done and done. Theoretically.

It could be worse. Rom files tend to be in different formats or have different revisions and you need the correct one to patch (this happens much more so than CD games). This is a pain in the ass for the translator as well (we want people to use our work, not get frustrated and give up).

GohanX

In my experiences, you should only patch the CD if you own a real original and can rip it yourself and apply the patch. It's a pretty straightforward process, and yields excellent results. Trying to patch downloads always seems to have issues, if you're going to pirate just download an already patched file.

shawnji

Quote from: TurboXray on 10/19/2015, 01:18 PMBin/Cue is fine as a format (probably the best format so far), but it becomes a problem when applying patches. And ISO is a 'cooked' data track. They should always be the same for any rip of a game (minus some un-important trailing bytes). ISO is also easier to patch because of this. CD audio tracks are easier to replace as well.

There are a few revisions of Ys4, IIRC, and I'm not sure if that presents a problem when in bin/cue format. With iso/cue/wav all you have to do is replace the wave files and patch the main ISO file. Done and done. Theoretically.

It could be worse. Rom files tend to be in different formats or have different revisions and you need the correct one to patch (this happens much more so than CD games). This is a pain in the ass for the translator as well (we want people to use our work, not get frustrated and give up).
Thanks for the info!  I am very familiar with Roms and IPS patching.  I've had a couple of games end up a garbled mess because I didn't have the right size version of the original file.

So... would it be possible to take an iso/cue/wav and convert it to bin/cue?  I would assume I could just mount the patched image and then "rip" it again into bin/cue, but I wonder if it would cause some kind of weird issues or anything...

Oh well, I'll try it here in a little while and see how it turns out.

NightWolve

This is why I created TurboRip. If you have the original CDs, that's what you must start with. You are gonna need to use your Windows computer, I don't see what's the big deal if you use it for gaming. If it has a DVD/CD drive, then you can use it. If it's not connected to the Internet, then you need to download TurboRip, all the patch files, slap them on a memory stick or SD card and bring it to that computer.

So, you're gonna need to familiarize yourself with TurboRip to begin:

https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=1604.0

https://www.ysutopia.net/get.php?id=TurboRip

And a rough guide to patching would go something like this:

1) Run TurboRip on your Ys IV or Dracula X CD-ROM to rip it to the ISO/WAV/CUE format which is the default format that it rips to.

2) Download the patch files in question. Latest Ys IV patch files are all here for example: https://www.ysutopia.net/projects/ys4/#downloads

3) Copy the patch files in the same folder as the ISO/WAV/CUE files, unzip them. In the case of the text patch, you double click the PATCH.bat file OR, you can click PATCHGUI.BAT which is easier, you just browse for the Ys IV data track 2 file ("02 Ys IV - The Dawn of Ys (U).iso"), and then click patch.

4) Repeat the same thing for the dub files.

5) Download ImgBurn to burn a CD-R, it's the easier program to use and it'll likely work. You select the CUE file to burn, not the ISO or anything else, that's how you do it right! Burning at the slowest possible speed that the CD-R and drive support is also the best if you're gonna use the CD-R on real NEC hardware.

It doesn't sound like you even started by reading any of the content in our ReadMes to do it and then got stuck. It would help if you started and then reported where you're getting stuck or what you don't understand.

You can do it!

IMG

Or not! :P

I can link you to a download of a fully patched copy of Ys IV or Dracula X if you eventually give up, so just PM me.

Quote from: TurboXray on 10/19/2015, 01:18 PMBin/Cue is fine as a format (probably the best format so far)
I think on that question, CloneCD is truly the best since BIN or ISO/WAV/CUE did not account for the R-W subchannel data which means they cannot duplicate any CD with CD+Graphics data like Karaoke CDs... But when it comes to BIN/CUE versus ISO/WAV/CUE, they can both accomplish the same thing, but I think a file-per-track rip is superior given all the options it allows for. If I want one binary file, I'll still have the option to ZIP the whole thing up afterwards.

shawnji

I actually have it ripping my disc via Turborip at this very moment, Nightwolve, but thank you!  I get the whole process, but I was mainly worried if converting to bin/cue would do something horrible to the data (i.e. bad compression / weird audio bugginess).  I wouldn't expect it to be an issue, but heck, I'm kinda' dumb when it comes to that kind of stuff.

It's actually my first time using Turborip for anything, as I don't usually have a good reason to rip copies of my games, but it's extremely straightforward.

NightWolve

I was answering MNKyDeth, but on the BIN/CUE format, this is where all data and audio tracks are globbed/packed together in one file. This is no good as it prevents specialized individual compression of redbook audio data with FLAC, APE or to lossy encoding such as with MP3/OGG/etc. and it keeps you from being able to pick a track to listen to in your file explorer as a convenience. It also makes patching data tracks more difficult and usually the data tracks are ripped in raw form which make the whole image harder to compress by including uncompressible EDC/ECC data per sector.

But no, there's no need to convert it later to BIN/CUE. The patches in question were designed to work with TurboRip's format. You burn the CUE file as you normally would when you're done.

GohanX

Turborip is the best, definitely a blessing from the Gods of Obey.

Does that mean Nightwolve is a god?

shawnji

Quote from: NightWolve on 10/19/2015, 07:11 PMI was answering MNKyDeth, but on the BIN/CUE format, this is where all data and audio tracks are globbed/packed together in one file. This is no good as it prevents specialized individual compression of redbook audio data with FLAC, APE or to lossy encoding such as with MP3/OGG/etc. and it keeps you from being able to pick a track to listen to in your file explorer as a convenience. It also makes patching data tracks more difficult and usually the data tracks are ripped in raw form which make the whole image harder to compress by including uncompressible EDC/ECC data per sector.

But no, there's no need to convert it later to BIN/CUE. The patches in question were designed to work with TurboRip's format. You burn the CUE file as you normally would when you're done.
I got you.  Sorry for the misconception on who you were addressing.  I'm not planning to burn this, though.  Instead, I'm only looking to play it via Mednafen on my jailbroken Wii, and that seems to work best with bin/cue files for some reason.  It's weird, but I don't feel comfortable putting a burnt disc in my Duo.  Also, I don't have any of the smaller capacity disks to burn to, so my 80 min. / 700 MB CD-Rs would probably push the laser too hard anyway.

While you're here, though... I'm looking at the back of my Ys IV case and suddenly wondering if you have that Ys Special Collection All ABOUT Falcom VHS / Laserdisc that's listed on there, as I know you collect any Ys goodies you can get your hands on.  I have no idea why it never stuck out to me until now.  I guess it's probably on YouTube?  Hmm... I'd like to find a high quality rip if it's out there.

NightWolve

I think Mednafen likes ISO/OGG/CUE, that's why I needed to get going and add support for OGG encoding.

Ah yes, the "Ys Special Collection - All About Falcom." I own the DVD that Falcom included as a bonus in the 2003 release of "Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim." LD is too retro for me, sorry. ;)

I uploaded the Ys II "Endless History" AMV (1993) and the Falcom Store Tour, among other videos from that DVD. They're all in my "All About Ys / Falcom" Youtube playlist.

shawnji

Quote from: NightWolve on 10/19/2015, 07:49 PM
Ooh! Yay! You've made me very happy, sir.

Also, I've got it in bin/cue now, so we'll see how well Mednafen handles it... ogg would definitely be nice, but hopefully this won't work too bad for now.  At least I didn't notice any major differences between it and the iso/wav/cue version when I tested both briefly in Magic Engine.

EDIT:  HOLY CRAP THAT FALCOM STORE!!!  It was in Yoyogi?  Geez, I wonder when it closed.  I used to go through Yoyogi all the time when I was an exchange student in '03.  It would suck if it was still open at that point and I never knew about it.

Bernie

I use bin/cue on my Wii with Mednafen.  It works fine.  I also have links in my Dropbox for prepatched games.  PM me in interested, 

Sent from my iPhone using your mama

NightWolve

There would be no difference between ISO/WAV/CUE and BIN/CUE, both are 100% original data with no compression. It's just a matter of splitting the BIN file into separate track files (data and audio) or not which allows for all the options I mentioned.

ISO/OGG/CUE or MP3 obviously throw away lots of audio data to achieve the lossy compression/encoding rates that they do, so you might notice a drop in sound quality depending on the bitrate that's chosen. But if you choose the default bitrates and keep it stereo, it's usually hard to tell the difference between MP3/OGG and the original raw, redbook audio data.

TurboXray

Quote from: NightWolve on 10/19/2015, 06:47 PM
Quote from: TurboXray on 10/19/2015, 01:18 PMBin/Cue is fine as a format (probably the best format so far)
I think on that question, CloneCD is truly the best since BIN or ISO/WAV/CUE did not account for the R-W subchannel data which means they cannot duplicate any CD with CD+Graphics data like Karaoke CDs... But when it comes to BIN/CUE versus ISO/WAV/CUE, they can both accomplish the same thing, but I think a file-per-track rip is superior given all the options it allows for. If I want one binary file, I'll still have the option to ZIP the whole thing up afterwards.
From a hacker perspective, ISO/CUE/WAV is the best format. And technically, if ripped correctly, should still make a 1:1 functional working game (minus CD+G). But Old Rover ran into that problem with Nero (I think) that refused to adhere to the CUE sheet to burn the ISO track in a specific mode. It changed it without any warning. He only figured it out after analyzing the disc. When he mounted the ISO/CUE set with daemon tools and re-ripped it back into a Cue/Bin (all software here, mind you), then Nero burned it correctly. While I've haven't had this problem (that I know of) personally, it makes me skeptical now. I mean, his flawed copy did run on the PCECD - just kinda crappy. It was the pressing house version of that flawed CD-R he sent them, that didn't work on the real console.

Anyway, the format is fine but I'm now skeptical of burning games (I analyze them now after burning).

If you update TurboRip, maybe you can put in a feature to analyze CD-R copies? At least report if the data track mode/form is wrong?

NightWolve

Quote from: TurboXray on 10/19/2015, 08:14 PMAnyway, the format is fine but I'm not skeptical of burning games (I analyze them now after burning).

If you update TurboRip, maybe you can put in a feature to analyze CD-R copies? At least report if the data track mode/form is wrong?
Was it that the data track had to be in raw format or it got wrongly burned as MODE2 and not MODE1 ?

You can read the header bytes of a sector header to detect if it's in MODE 0 (never used), MODE 1, or MODE 2. And if it's MODE 2, you have to analyze a few nearby bytes to determine FORM 1 or 2, etc. CD-I uses MODE 2 and somewhere in the TOC it'll have a flag set for CD-I to aid detection of what you're dealing with. The main byte is offset[16] - if you read a raw sector in 2352 mode, byte 16 will have either a 0, 1, or 2 to indicate the mode. MODE 0 is legal according to the yellow book standard, but it's dumb to just burn zeroed out sectors with different forms for no reason, so I don't think anybody ever used that, so 99% of the time you should just see 1 or 2 for that byte.

I'd need more specifics as to what went wrong here based on what you're describing, though. If the mode is 2, TurboRip will already report that in the CUE file as well as rip it raw because there are a lot of issues with ripping mode 2 data sectors and doing it in cooked mode is tougher and can't be done with Microsoft's SPTI - you gotta rip it raw. The only way to effectively read in 'cooked' mode is only possible with the fact that MODE2 CDs will have a ISO9660/Sierra file system, in which case, you simply dir the CD, and open/read every folder and file, etc.

You can have an ISO/WAV/CUE file set where the ISO track was ripped in raw 2352 form and as long as it's reflected in the CUE file, it'll burn fine. They don't always have to be ripped in cooked 2048/per sector form, but it's better I think since it indicates you let the drive run the EDC error checks on each sector and ripped every sector correctly, byte for byte. When you read data sectors raw, I don't think the EDC and ECC algorithms are run by the drive's BIOS - it's just like ripping a redbook audio track, bytes could change and you'd never know it... Mednafen's author seems to indicate she uses those EDC codes if the CUE states it's in raw sector form to check for bad sectors.

Anyway, I'd need more details on what you're asking for exactly. I have a new update I'm readying for TurboRip days away, mainly to fix it for Windows 7 - currently, security blocks are placed on SCSI command packets, that is, reading sectors are policed and blocked. Windows 7 demands you do read commands via the SPTI prescribed way, you can't build up a SCSI command packet and send it directly to the drive as I found... So by the time that's ready, I'll also be throwing in a favor for Andrew to block ripping attempts against his homebrew CD games cause somebody asked me a couple of days ago how to rip his Insanity game. So it's conceivable to add something a little further by the time I wrap up these changes/fixes.

Quote from: JKM on 10/19/2015, 07:28 PMTurborip is the best, definitely a blessing from the Gods of Obey.

Does that mean Nightwolve is a god?
How about just a Turbo Titan ? ;)

TurboXray

IIRC, the ISO was specified as mode 1 in the cue but Nero burned it as Mode 2 Form 1. I can't believe his duo could even read the data track (mode 2 form 1 didn't come out until 1991), but the mcu could have a different firmware than original CD units (no one has ever dumped the firmware/code inside that z80-ish mcu. Charles Macdonald tried, but no dice).

So check or report if any data tracks are not mode 1?

Anyway, like I said he solved the problem by forcing Nero to burn a cue/bin version (which is not open to interpretation... even though I didn't think CUE/ISO was either).

NightWolve

Ah, OK, I think I see the rule that you're asking for then.

If 1) there is a TOC that matches a PCE/TG-16 CD from a CD-R, and 2) the data track is MODE2, then error out... I think what would happen now is I force it to read in raw mode (like I do for PSX CDs) and the CUE file will get a MODE2/2352 entry for that data track without telling you anything.

This would be an easy, small thing to trap then, I should be able to add it for the next release.

NightWolve

Quote from: shawnji on 10/19/2015, 08:00 PM

Also, I've got it in bin/cue now, so we'll see how well Mednafen handles it... ogg would definitely be nice, but hopefully this won't work too bad for now.  At least I didn't notice any major differences between it and the iso/wav/cue version when I tested both briefly in Magic Engine.

EDIT:  HOLY CRAP THAT FALCOM STORE!!!  It was in Yoyogi?  Geez, I wonder when it closed.  I used to go through Yoyogi all the time when I was an exchange student in '03.  It would suck if it was still open at that point and I never knew about it.
Ah, you have translations for the onscreen info ? And how do you know that the Falcom store closed ?

MNKyDeth

Just caught up on this thread. Thanks for the responses. I will be trying to get the Y's4 and DraculaX ripped and patched for myself a bit later today.

I will let you know if I have any issues.

This is my plan.

1. Rip them to ISO on my Linux machine.
2. Transfer over the network to my server and then mount the ISO on my windows machine with Daemon Tools.
3. Patch the games per the instructions etc.
4. Transfer the data back to the Linux machine for the final burn.

There is just no chance of me putting an optical disc in my windows comp.... My HTPC is the only computer I have left with an optical drive... well unless I count the Laptop but that is Linux as well. Just makes it a little more difficult for me.... But I hate using windows... I went like 8-9yrs without using any sort of Windows OS maybe a little longer. And when I finally tried Win7 and kept it on one of my machines I thought it was very hard to use. Linux is just a lot easier for me as I know what is going on. With my windows box I have no friggin idea besides it plays games that my Linux comps cant.

TurboXray

If you have mounting software like daemon tools, then TurboRip can be used to easily convert/rip into iso/cue format.

shawnji

Quote from: NightWolve on 10/22/2015, 08:09 PM
Quote from: shawnji on 10/19/2015, 08:00 PM

Ah, you have translations for the onscreen info ? And how do you know that the Falcom store closed ?
I'm actually a Japanese Translator / Interpreter by trade, so I just read the text when it came up.  I just kind of assumed it had closed, but I guess it could still be open.  I'd love to go if it is.  I've been to the Square-Enix store and headquarters in Shinjuku a few times, but that's the extent of my video game related travels outside of Akiba.

Are you wanting translations for the text?  I could do it up really quick after I get home fron work if you want.  Although I think it was just the address.  I don't remember any other text outside of the credits.   

I was really curious about the Laserdisc because the runtime was listed as 60 minutes, so I assumed there was a lot more content on there.  I guess it's just those three videos worth on the DVD, then?

NightWolve

Quote from: shawnji on 10/23/2015, 12:42 PMAre you wanting translations for the text?  I could do it up really quick after I get home fron work if you want.  Although I think it was just the address.  I don't remember any other text outside of the credits.   

I was really curious about the Laserdisc because the runtime was listed as 60 minutes, so I assumed there was a lot more content on there.  I guess it's just those three videos worth on the DVD, then?
Yeah, cool, I would - I could add them to the description box and then later, if the mood ever arises, add annotations into the video itself using them.

I added full annotations (for subtitling) to this one:
And here I was testing, just added Adol's name over the Japanese.
Youtube's system is pretty sucky though and frustratingly so... What you see in the video editor to set up annotations is not the same as what you'll see when the video plays. You have to make the text boxes somewhat bigger so you'll get the right results, or your text will get shrunk when it's played. I'm surprised they still haven't improved the bugginess of the system, not to mention there's no automatic centering; all alignment is manual movement with the mouse.

As for the DVD, nah, there is more video content as I didn't upload everything on it.

shawnji

Whew!  Just back in from work.  Boy, was it a rough day.

Anyhow, here's some quick notations on the video that I jotted down real quick:

0:23 - "Falcom Original Character Shop" appears just below the company logo and to the left of Lilia on the sign.

0:26 - The yellow text box on the map just shows "2F [2nd Floor] Yoyogi Falcom Shop," and the address just below the map reads:

"〒151 Tokyo-to, Shibuya-ku, Yoyogi 1-37-2  Show-A Building 2nd Floor
TEL. 03-3379-7723
Business Hours : 10:00 A.M. ~ 6:00 P.M. (Closed Every Wednesday)"

A short poke at Google Maps makes it pretty clear that the store isn't there anymore:

https://goo.gl/maps/2b4cuENC3NA2

According to the Japanese Wikipedia article on the shop, it was originally opened on the 5th floor of the Yamato building on November 3rd, 1989 and was about the size of a classroom.  It was later moved at some point in 1990 to the 2nd floor of the Show-A building, which is the location shown in the video and the Google Maps link I provided above.

They closed down in March of 1998, which the wiki attributes to the rise of the internet and mail order shopping.  It also says that in 2009 it had become a site for a branch of the "Watami" restaurant chain; which also looks to have been replaced by Saizeriya.

0:35 - The cover of the book reads:

"Ys IV Prologue
A Portrait of Those With Wings
by Ooba Waku"

0:51 - There's a handwritten sign stating that these are their CD Best Sellers with the top five demarcated below that with 1st Place, 2nd Place, etc.

1:01 - I found this really interesting, having just recently finished Popful Mail; but the handwritten sign on the right says, "Gaw Beachball - 1300 Yen."  XD

1:15 - From left to right, the titles of the books are:

Ys Table-top RPG
Ys II Table-top RPG
Brandish Storybook
Popful Mail Handbook
Advanced Lord Monarch Handbook
Lord Monarch Guidebook
Lord Monarch Perfect Guide
Dragon Slayer: The Legend of Heroes II Handbook
Dragon Slayer: The Legend of Heroes II
Dragon Slayer: The Legend of Heroes
Dragon Slayer: The Legend of Heroes Memorial
Ys Memorial

1:27 - It goes straight into the credits with, "Original Work - Nippon Falcom" and... Yeah, I'm not gonna' do all the credits...

Anyway, that's what little I felt was worth extrapolating from that.  Names are a pain, as they can often be read a variety of ways, so unless you really, REALLY want the credits, I'm gonna' stop there.  Hope it helps!

NightWolve

Quote from: shawnji on 10/23/2015, 08:13 PMA short poke at Google Maps makes it pretty clear that the store isn't there anymore:

Hah, cool! I hadn't ever thought of using Google Maps to actually peek at the location on the ground like that!

Thanks for the history/translations! I'll work them into the description box now.

EDIT: Eh, it's better to get that info in annotations now! I got your first 3 added:
:)

shawnji

Quote from: NightWolve on 10/23/2015, 08:58 PM
Quote from: shawnji on 10/23/2015, 08:13 PMA short poke at Google Maps makes it pretty clear that the store isn't there anymore:

Hah, cool! I hadn't thought of using Google Maps to actually peek at the location on the ground like that!

Thanks for the history/translations! I'll work them into the description box now.
You're most welcome! (^_^ )  I go "ga-ga" for anything Falcom-related, so it was really cool for me to look into.

NightWolve

Alright, I worked all of that info in as annotations as it should be with an intro for the opening/closing history of the store. :)

xcrement5x

That's a very cool little video.  I even saw the Popful Mail figure I've got show up on there too!

shawnji

Quote from: NightWolve on 10/24/2015, 12:13 AMAlright, I worked all of that info in as annotations as it should be with an intro for the opening/closing history of the store. :)
Neat!  I'm glad that it helped out a little bit!  It really is too bad we'll never get the chance to visit it.

Quote from: guestThat's a very cool little video. I even saw the Popful Mail figure I've got show up on there too!
You have the Mail figure?  DO WANT.  Dang it, I need to go back to Japan and hit the Mandarake to see if they have any Falcom goodies.

Quote from: guestYeah, I am a Popful fanatic. I have only seen one other person with this model, and like I say in the notes on the post this was the only one I saw on Yahoo Auctions for about 5 years:
IMG
I have not assembled it because I would probably mangle it horribly and could never forgive myself. I should see if I can get the thing 3D scanned though.

xcrement5x

Quote from: shawnji on 10/24/2015, 05:16 PMNeat!  I'm glad that it helped out a little bit!  It really is too bad we'll never get the chance to visit it.

@xcrement5x:  You have the Mail figure?  DO WANT.  Dang it, I need to go back to Japan and hit the Mandarake to see if they have any Falcom goodies.
Yeah, I am a Popful fanatic.  I have only seen one other person with this model, and like I say in the notes on the post this was the only one I saw on Yahoo Auctions for about five years:

IMG

I have not assembled it because I would probably mangle it horribly and could never forgive myself.  I should see if I can get the thing 3D scanned though.

NightWolve

Quote from: TurboXray on 10/19/2015, 08:14 PMIf you update TurboRip, maybe you can put in a feature to analyze CD-R copies? At least report if the data track mode/form is wrong?
Alright Tom, I worked on TurboRip today and added what you were asking for since other great enhancements got out of the way.

1) If you burn a NEC game CD image (PCE/TG-16/PCFX) to CD-R, the TOC will match as an original if done properly, it'll be detected by TurboRip as usual, but it'll check all data tracks for a MODE2 setting and will report the error and exit. This traps the issue you reported where Ahead Nero burns MODE2 sectors instead of MODE1 when you burn CD-Rs to play on real NEC hardware. NEC data tracks are always supposed to be MODE1, so either the CUE or burning software made a wrong decision to burn them in MODE2 as you and Old Rover found (never encountered this problem myself).

2) If you burn homebrew stuff to CD-R, TOC matching does not apply of course, so to check for bad burns, you'd just run "TurboRip /cue" and look at the CUE which will report MODE1 or MODE2 for all the data tracks. You already had this option, but it seems you wanted TurboRip to report an error for official NEC game discs after burning them to CD-R.

To be honest, I didn't see this as very worthwhile because you could always look at the CUE file, and TurboRip is typically about an original CD getting ripped for the first time, not ripping CD-Rs back to your HDD. That doesn't strike me as typical-use, ripping NEC CD-Rs you burned back to your HDD... This still kinda wouldn't act as a reporting mechanism for newbs because they would have to know to rip the CD-R back with TurboRip after burning with Nero to ever catch this issue, ya know ? You and Rover know of the issue, so ripping the CUE file after a burn is all you have to do, and so I dunno if this error trap was worth bothering with, but hey, it was no big deal to add it.

IMG

So yeah, that's been coded for the next version release, which I think will be this week. Version 1.41 will officially go live with new stuff like "/normalize" for the waves, "/auto" to find the first NEC game disc to rip without stopping to ask you what drive to pick, a CD menu where the CDDB checksum of the disc's TOC is computed for look-up in the TOC database to title what's in your CD drive (now using a fast binary search algorithm instead of linear), similar to MagicEngine behavior (finally, I should've had something nifty like that ages ago!) etc.

IMG

If it's still gotta be stuck as a cmd/console app, it should be the best console app that it can be. ;) But seriously, I'm itching to leave it behind and begin work on a GUI version eventually. Problem is my ASPI library has a long way to go... I still have many things to master/research when it comes to SCSI, SPTI, the CD Redbook/Yellowbook formats, etc. (and that's just for reading, never gonna try for writing recordable media!) before I could ever proceed further comfortably, and TurboRip provides a good learn-as-you-go situation when I'm in the mood to advance it. I'd like to perfect its ASPI library as-is, make the last best version, and then port the knowledge/libraries over to begin a GUI version (whenever that happens over the years).

TurboXray

Looks good to me. As far as a GUI app, you could always do a front-end for now?

NightWolve

At my slow, random/intermittent pace, you know, I'd not want to start something up, invest in it a bit, only to ditch it later. I'd prefer to go all in when I'm ready. There's still plenty of things to research/learn/do for my universal Windows SCSI library. I like that it's now fully tested and working on all Windows: 95/98/ME/NT4/2K/XP/Vista/7/8.1/10. Handy to keep old Windows boxes lying around, plus the emulators are useful too.  :mrgreen: