noob looking to buy something new(ish) :p

Started by shugs81, 08/01/2016, 06:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shugs81

Hi guys... And gals!

I'm a bit of a retro hoarder and quite interested in getting a PC engine / turbo gfx.

Having never owned one before what is the best model to get? I'll be doing the rgb mod on it ad I've got a framemeister and will be running it through that...

A few questions I have...

Being in the UK which model is the best to Go for?

Am I better buying a turbo duo straight off the bat or should I just get the core and buy the CD separate at a later date?

What are the common things to go wrong with them and how easily are hey fixed?

What sort of prices should I be looking to pay if I'm not too bothered by cosmetics?

Are there any relatively cheap but good games available??? Just I know with most consoles the good games get listedvas 'rare' and end up costing a bomb!!

I probably have more questions but I can't remember any of them now...

Thanks for reading... And oh yeah... Hi!!

crazydean

Typically, it's best to get a PC Engine Duo-R or Duo-RX. The PCE Duo is also excellent if it has been recapped. Stay away from the Turbo Duo as it's the same thing as a PCE Duo but will cost much more.

As for common problems, the capacitors will need to be replaced if they haven't been already. Also, the disc laser goes out after a lot of use. These are both easy to fix if you are comfortable with a soldering iron.

As for mods, if you want to go the Turbo Everdrive route, there is no need. Also, there is no region protection on the CDs, so you can play backups. If you want to play US games on a JP system or vice versa, you will need to region mod. If you go the RGB route, you will also want to do the jailbar fix while you are in there.

Really, the best thing you can do is buy a Duo/Duo-R from one of the talented members here that has already been recapped and modded. Check the FS threads.

shugs81

Cheers for the response!

What sort of prices would I be looking to pay for one fully recapped and nodded and how much should I be looking to pay unmodded and un-recapped?

I've found a guy in Japan who has them dirt cheap with missing power or av (postage is mental but I bought a faulty Famicom off him and postage was pretty damn quick)

crazydean

Well, doing your own RGB mod is kinda of a pain in the ass on the Duo. You need an amp. Also, you will need caps replaced which I think runs about $75? It's cheaper in the long run to just buy a good unit from Keith Courage or Mickcris on here. PM either of them for availability and price.

By the time you get an amp, scart cable, switch, caps, etc, it's actually cheaper to just buy a unit already fully modded than to do it yourself.

shugs81

Am I right in thinking its the same amp as for the n64??? If it is I need to order one anyway... I'll have a hunt... I may just get a core if I can find a cheap one just to get me started... As I say I've never owned one and i don't like emulators... I can look into mods n stuff once I get started... If I get hooked immediately I'll start saving to get a fully kitted out bundle... Was looking at the set for £500 but just can't afford that right now!

crazydean

shugs81

Ahh... I thought it was the same chip.... Dunno where I read that then!!

Better start looking through the forum... Promise to try not ask stupid questions!!! Hopefully!  =P~

ClodBusted

I love thread titles with tongue-sticking-out-of-the-mouth smileys when somebody asks for advice. They give me warm feelings.

shugs81

Glad i could help!!!

Your sig has brought me great amusement too!!!

Just watching the clock in my eBay auctions.... I may have accidentally bought a white PC engingle... And a turbo duo....  :oops:

P.s. does the captcha thing ever go away???

ClodBusted

shugs81

I though that was what its called... The random letters to verify humanity.... Ish... Lol

And speak of the devil they have gone!!!!

NecroPhile

Welcome aboard!  The captcha thing goes away after 10 or 20 posts.

There's quite a few good yet cheap games, less than original msrp anyway.  Some of my favorites are Ys 4, Bomberman '93, Bomberman '94, Hatris, Gotzendiener, Godzilla, Kabuki Itouryodan (requires an Arcade Card), the Cosmic Fantasy series, Splash Lake, Aoi Blink, Pomping World, Dead Moon, Xak I & II, Xak III, Time Cruise, Alien Crush, Devils Crush, Urusei Yatsura (Lummy!), Conan, Magicoal, and Xanadu 1 and 2,
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

shugs81

Cheers for that...  Someone has started bidding against me on the white JP PC engine!!! :evil:

No one has bit on the duo tho...  :dance:

So leave em alone people!!!!  [-o<

wildfruit

I got my recapped & rgb duo from Keith courage delivered for about £250. Obviously exchange rate isn't great at moment but still a good deal and you will be certain to recieve a great product.

shugs81

Currently looking at about £80 for the two on eBay at the minute.... But I might speak to Mr courage if it falls flat.... Which it probably will do!!! Lol

Otaking

Welcome from another fellow Brit.  :D

Quote from: shugs81 on 08/03/2016, 09:48 AMSomeone has started bidding against me on the white JP PC engine!!! :evil:

No one has bit on the duo tho...  :dance:

So leave em alone people!!!!  [-o<
All the serious bidders will place their bids in the last 10 seconds of an eBay auction.
Expect any auction on eBay to double, triple or quadruple in price in the last minute.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86jH2UQmvKY&t=812s
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

shugs81

Yeah I know.... Just wishful thinking!!! :lol:

shugs81

Wtf is a tennomoe 2????

Been bid up to $35 so looking around at other more UK based options...there's acreally nice condition white console pre rgb nodded with scart and no power or controller... But its nearly £60 and finishes tomorrow... No guarantee on caps tho... But doesn't appear to be a mark on it.... I know I'm looking at £250 ish for a fully modded duo but what sort of price should I be looking at for a core system??

Ta... Sorry to harass... :p

NecroPhile

Quote from: shugs81 on 08/03/2016, 05:37 PMWtf is a tennomoe 2????
Tennokoe 2 is a device that plugs into the back of a PCE/CGI/CGII to add save capabilities.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

shugs81

Aaaahhh.... Never thought about that.... Hmmm.... Too used to having passwords on older stuff or an in built save feature... But those hucards are teeny tiny...

crazydean

If you are looking to get a duo that hasn't been modded yet, maybe try looking around to site for tutorials on actually doing the mod. It's quite a bit more involved than just N64 RGB or SNES mini RGB.

shugs81

Yeah... I've been having a hunt around the forum... Don't want to spread my mind vomit everywhere with stupid plans and schemes cause I always have to fiddle... I've got a spare mega drive ( genesis) that I'm plannint to make compatible with the master system and Sega iii games as the only diff is the pin out... And a proper region modded top loading nes... I seem to not be able to leave stiff... :D if anyone has a broken console they want to offload cheap I'm your dumping ground!!! :D

shugs81

Well... $63 delivered from Japan...  :oops:

Doesn't cone with rf cable but has PSU and controller... Looks like it needs a clean too... Bought necromancer and sadakich seven just to test as they were the two cheapest games on eBay... Let's see how this goes then!!!  :mrgreen: