Playstation 1 RPG games

Started by Bernie, 10/31/2015, 02:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernie

Hey peeps of the forum....  So yeah, my Playstation has been getting some attention lately, and I would like to see if there are any hidden RPG gems I had not tried.  Give me some ideas, link me videos, send me game!!!   haha!!  :)

AND.....GO

in99flames

Alundra. Have you Played alundra???  Not the second. The first. Very underrated. Awesome game. I have a very extensive rare collection of ps1 games. I love rpgs too. Ill give you all the suggestions you want! Start with Alundra. Thousand arms was fun too. It was damn funny as well. It incorporated a "dating" aspect into it which was entertaining.
I am somebody's mommy!
----name that movie quote :)

CGQuarterly

I always hear good things about the 2 Wild Arms games.  And remember that Squeenix has many RPGs on the Playstation that aren't Final Fantasy.

o.pwuaioc

No idea what you've played, but I'll recommend Breath of Fire III/IV, Final Fantasy IX, King's Field II, Ogre Battle March of the Black Queen, Suikoden I/II, and Vagrant Story.

Mathius

Final Fantasy IX doesn't get enough love.

The Lunar remakes.

Mega Man Legends

Symphony of the Night (DUH)

Grandia is awesome

nectarsis

Star Ocean 2
Tales of Eternia
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:
blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436

GohanX

BigusSchmuck

Wizardry remakes. Oh yeah Temcos Deception. It's Halloween so why not?

in99flames

Quote from: Mathius on 10/31/2015, 05:31 PMFinal Fantasy IX doesn't get enough love.

The Lunar remakes.

Mega Man Legends

Symphony of the Night (DUH)

Grandia is awesome
Dude. Totally. FF9 is very underrated. I really enjoyed that game.
I am somebody's mommy!

in99flames

Oh......how could i forget.....please. You must give this a try. VALKYRIE PROFILE. very hard to get but damn what an amazing overlooked game. I give it highest praise.  Im not an advocate for strategy guides...but if you do not get the best ending in this game....you feel unfullfilled and a giant WTF will come over you. It doesnt answer anything unless you get the best ending. I played ot through 3 times in a row to get the best ending and it was worth it. Use the guide for this game. When you are through with that game....move to PS2 immediately and play Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria. Another ridiculously underrated forgotten game. Compliments the first one like none other. Probably the vest graphics and music ive seen/heard on the PS2. Silmeria also supports progressive scan(480P) on the PS2.

I know i keep saying it but those 2 games are top notch.
I am somebody's mommy!

Bernie

Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 10/31/2015, 06:08 PMWizardry remakes. Oh yeah Temcos Deception. It's Halloween so why not?
Wizardry was on the PS?

ParanoiaDragon

I can't recommend the Suikoden games enough!  That is my 2nd favorite series ever(with Ys being my first).  For whatever reason, they feel to me like something I might've seen on the Turbo, had it's lifespan been longer.  the gameplay, the music, the story, love em'.
IMG

shawnji

Vagrant Story.  VAGRANT STORY.  A MILLION TIMES VAGRANT STORY.  It may be the greatest game ever made, honestly.

I'll also throw you some curve balls:

Koudelka
Vandal Hearts
Brigandine
Parasite Eve (Very well known, but one of my favorites.  I want to get a copy of the novel it's based on at some point.)

If you like your RPGs obscure and in Japanese, check out Ore no Shikabane wo Koeteyuke!  It's freaking awesome and it was a real shame that we never got it over here.

I feel compelled to say that I'll sell you my copy of Alundra for cheap if you want it.  I absolutely hated it when I finally played through it earlier this year.  The story isn't bad, but the platforming is incredibly obnoxious because of the perspective. It plays like a Zelda that focuses more on puzzles over combat, which seems like it would be good, except it totally kills the pacing of the storyline because the dungeons end up feeling like a chore.  Most of the solutions are obvious enough, but the jumping can mean falling back to a lower level and having to re-do huge sections.  If you're a completionist, you'll find yourself very frustrated at how often certain items become inaccessible after progressing; and if you don't get absolutely everything, you can't get the best weapon in the game.  I had to replay the entire first half of the thing because of that. 

Blah.  "Eye of the beholder," and all that...  You may love it.  In which case: all the more reason for you to have it instead of me.  I have a digital copy on PSN if I ever feel like punishing myself again.

TR0N

Grandia,yeah it's voice acting is terrible but still a good rpg.
Suidoken 1&2
Wild Arms 1&2
Star Ocean The Second Story
Alundra,damn good action rpg for the PS1
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

IvanBeavkov

I'll throw in another vote for Temcos Deception. Great game where you are the bad guy trying to stop the heroes from getting into your mansion. It is a great choice if you are looking for something different.

in99flames

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 11/01/2015, 01:52 AMI can't recommend the Suikoden games enough!  That is my 2nd favorite series ever(with Ys being my first).  For whatever reason, they feel to me like something I might've seen on the Turbo, had it's lifespan been longer.  the gameplay, the music, the story, love em'.
How could I forget suikoden. Those 2 games are amazing.
I am somebody's mommy!

Elder

Valkyrie Profile, Alundra, and the two Suikoden games are absolute must-plays for anyone even thinking of checking out RPGs on the PS1.  They're all incredible games, although I consider Alundra more an Action RPG than a full-fledged RPG, but who cares haha.

Gentlegamer

This reminds me someone gave me a copy of Suikoden several years ago that I've never played. How is it? What style is it?
IMG

wildfruit

As previously stated alundra is really the thing.
Go for it. Music and graphics are a joy to the eyes and ears.

Mathius

How could I forget Parasite Eve? Great atmosphere! The 2nd game isn't nearly as good.

Psycho Punch

Parasite Eve 2 is more of a RE style game. And it is great.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs!
I had to delete THOUSANDS of error log entries cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

in99flames

Quote from: guest on 11/01/2015, 04:49 PMParasite Eve 2 is more of a RE style game. And it is great.
I did really enjoy the 2nd one as well. It did get mixed reviews from the media being pretty pretty different from the 1st...i still recommend it.
I am somebody's mommy!

shawnji

Quote from: in99flames on 11/01/2015, 04:51 PM
Quote from: guest on 11/01/2015, 04:49 PMParasite Eve 2 is more of a RE style game. And it is great.
I did really enjoy the 2nd one as well. It did get mixed reviews from the media being pretty pretty different from the 1st...i still recommend it.
Just don't play The 3rd Birthday.  It killed all my enthusiasm for the series.  I didn' even like the 2nd game that much, but I at least enjoyed it more than the 3rd.  The first game will always be a hallmark of my early teens.  I would never have played Xenogears or Brave Fencer Musashi had it not been for the demo disc that came with it.

By the way, Brave Fencer Musashi is a fantastic Action RPG if you haven't played it. 

Y'know... I'm just gonna' link some videos for you to look at here in a bit Bernie.  I'll modify this post when I get back to the house.

EDIT

Alundra:
Brave Fencer Musashi:
Brigandine:
Koudelka:
Ore no Shikabane wo Koete Yuke:
Parasite Eve:
Star Ocean - The Second Story:
Suikoden II:
Thousand Arms
Vagrant Story:
Valkyrie Profile
There you go.  I tried to give you a decent sampling of some of what everyone's recommended along with my own.  As everyone else has said; Valkyrie Profile, Suikoden II, and Star Ocean 2 are all great in their own right.  Funnily enough, all three of those can also be had on the PSP if you get the urge.  Suikoden I+II are in a double-pack, but it was only available in Japan.  For that matter, the same is true for Mega Man Legends 1+2, which I believe Mathius suggested earlier (also excellent games).

in99flames

Amen to that last post by shawnji

In parasite eve 1.....did it annoy anybody else how ridiculously SLOW aya walked? Even running was like walking pace in most games. I mean...it didnt ruin my perspective of the game... which is amazing...but i always laughed at that one aspect.
I am somebody's mommy!

Mathius

Quote from: in99flames on 11/01/2015, 09:37 PMAmen to that last post by shawnji

In parasite eve 1.....did it annoy anybody else how ridiculously SLOW aya walked? Even running was like walking pace in most games. I mean...it didnt ruin my perspective of the game... which is amazing...but i always laughed at that one aspect.
Yes Aya needs more Vitamin B in her her diet. The thing that annoyed me most though is if I wanted to restart the game it wouldn't let me skip any cutscenes.

technozombie

Wild Arms is great. I got it when it first came out. The music is great, the 2D graphics held up well the 3D battles look like ass.

Chrono Cross gets a bum rap as a sequel to Chrono Trigger but as it's own game it is fun, has some of the best graphics on the PlayStation, good soundtrack and original/good battle system.

TR0N

Quote from: technozombie on 11/01/2015, 11:26 PMWild Arms is great. I got it when it first came out. The music is great, the 2D graphics held up well the 3D battles look like ass.
Agreed the 3D battles haven't aged well still that memorable intro  :mrgreen:
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

ParanoiaDragon

Wild Arms series is great, though, regrettably I've only played thru 1, 4, & Alter Code F(remake of 1).  I keep trying to play thru 2, but I lose momentum.  Started 3, 5, & XF but still gottta play thru them some day. 

Alundra is great, but if you're like me, you'll need a guide for the puzzles, & like state earlier, the jumping is tricky.  Alundra 2 on the other hand....if that game was built around being 2D, it probably would've been a cool game. 

Breath of Fire 3 was great, I still have yet to beat 4. 

I enjoyed Granstream Saga, but I think it gets low scores from most.

Someday, I swear I'm going to play through Monkey Hero, despite it's bad rap!

Both the Lunar's are, IMO awesome.  I know people usually prefer the Sega CD versions, but, the PS1/Saturn remakes are my bread n' butter.  The PSP remake of 1 isn't bad.

Parasite Eve 1 is wonderful, even though Aya is slow.  I finally played 2 last year......& will never play it again.  The 3rd Birthday however I thought was fun, but it's a sidestory....& on PSP, so, it doesn't count here!

Arc the Lad(Strategy RPG) games are cool, I beat the 1st one, & am currently working on the 2nd(which is really long, especially compared to the 1st!), haven't played 3-5 yet.

Beyond the Beyond get a bad rap.  I like it, it's not awesome, but it's fun.  IIRC, it had a pretty high encounter rate.

Blazing Dragons, point n' clicky, probably most don't consider it an RPG.  It's fun.

Threads of Fate is ok, some people swear by it.

I digged Chrono Cross.  It's no Trigger, but, it was fun.

Dragon Warrior 7.  Haven't played it yet, but I'm sure it's worth mentioning.

Final Fantasy Origins is cool, though I ended up playing the PSP versions.

Guardian's Crusade seems cool, but another I haven't beat yet.

Legend of Legaia, cool game, another one I need to get back to someday.

SaGa Frontier....is ok.  I played thru all the scenarios.  Never beat the 2nd game though.

Tales of Destiny, played thru it quite a bit...& lost my data.  Fun game, haven't played much of the 2nd (US release)one.

Vandal Hearts 1 is great, never beat the 2nd one.

And once again, Suikoden 1 & 2! :)
IMG

Bernie

Lots of good stuff!  Thanks everyone!

DragonmasterDan

A lot of the ones I'd recommend have been mentioned by others but here goes anyway.

Alundra: This is a great Zelda style game.
Grandia: This is probably the best traditional JRPG on the system.
Wild Arms: 2D overhead graphics, 3D battles. Some interesting dungeon mechanics using grappling hooks and bombs. This is a great traditional JRPG.
Thousand Arms: Beautiful anime art. A mix of a dating sim and a JRPG.
Dragon Warrior 7: Great scenario and a lot of fun. You have very little control over battles and the game length is ridiculous. Not for everyone but is a high quality title if you appreciate it.

Games to avoid:
Final Fantasy 8
Xenogears
Chrono Cross
Legend of Dragoon
Legend of Legaia
Grainstream Saga
Legend of Legaia
--DragonmasterDan

Bernie

Dan, you didn't like Legend of Dragoon?  I love that one.  I have some of the ones already mentioned, including DW VII. 

Sent from my iPhone using your mama

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: Bernie on 11/02/2015, 08:24 AMDan, you didn't like Legend of Dragoon?  I love that one. 

Sent from my iPhone using your mama
It's crap.
Uninspired story. Ugly character designs, boring gameplay.
--DragonmasterDan

o.pwuaioc

Legend of Dragoon > Final Fantasy VII.

I don't think Legend of Dragoon is all that bad. I actually liked the story and character design, although coming off of SNES RPGs (yes, it was that long until I had played a PS1 RPG), I was put off by the only three characters in battle. I also didn't like the hyper linearity. If this game came out before FFVII, it would have received higher praise, but because it came out so late in the game, I think that really led to a strong reaction against it in some folks.

BigusSchmuck

Quote from: Bernie on 10/31/2015, 07:44 PM
Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 10/31/2015, 06:08 PMWizardry remakes. Oh yeah Temcos Deception. It's Halloween so why not?
Wizardry was on the PS?
Yeah Japanese release only. It's one of those 80% English jobbers and they remade Wizardry 1-3. http://www.mobygames.com/game/wizardry-llylgamyn-saga
I also think they did 4 (maybe on that one?) but I'm sure they did 5 as well.
I have played the remake of 1-3 on the Saturn, pretty impressive.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: guest on 11/02/2015, 09:31 AMLegend of Dragoon > Final Fantasy VII.

I don't think Legend of Dragoon is all that bad. I actually liked the story and character design, although coming off of SNES RPGs (yes, it was that long until I had played a PS1 RPG), I was put off by the only three characters in battle. I also didn't like the hyper linearity. If this game came out before FFVII, it would have received higher praise, but because it came out so late in the game, I think that really led to a strong reaction against it in some folks.
Well, it wouldn't have existed if not for the runaway success of Final Fantasy VII. And while I'm not a big fan of Final Fantasy VII (and I outright hate FF VIII), I'll tell you that it's a far better assembled game than Legend of Dragoon.

For some basic reasons Dragoon sucks just look at the battles. Attacking takes a long time, spells go on forever, the battles themselves take way too long and then the load time from what I recall was pretty bad for a Playstation game. Ugh.
--DragonmasterDan

Opethian

If you liked Tactics Orgre and FF Tactics I would recommend Hoshigami
IMG

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: Opethian on 11/02/2015, 11:36 AMIf you liked Tactics Orgre and FF Tactics I would recommend Hoshigami
It's not as good as either of those two. Vandal Hearts is a bit better IMO but still not as good as Tactics Ogre or FFT.
--DragonmasterDan

geise

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 11/02/2015, 12:05 PM
Quote from: Opethian on 11/02/2015, 11:36 AMIf you liked Tactics Orgre and FF Tactics I would recommend Hoshigami
It's not as good as either of those two. Vandal Hearts is a bit better IMO but still not as good as Tactics Ogre or FFT.
I love me some Vandal Hearts.  Destroys FFT

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: geise on 11/02/2015, 02:46 PMI love me some Vandal Hearts.  Destroys FFT
I wouldn't go that far. But it's a very underrated series.
--DragonmasterDan

BigusSchmuck

Oh yeah, who can forget Brigandine the Grand Edition? That game rocks and rolls. :)

roflmao

I enjoyed Legend of Dragoon far more than Final Fantasy VII, but didn't finish either one.

The first Wild Arms is a classic and I wish i never sold it.

Final Fantasy IX is by far my favorite PSX FF game.

geise

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 11/02/2015, 03:02 PM
Quote from: geise on 11/02/2015, 02:46 PMI love me some Vandal Hearts.  Destroys FFT
I never cared for FFT.  It's a good game, but I don't understand the huge popularity with it like it's the end all be all of tactics games.  That's probably why I don't like it that much.  Not fair, but it's a personal thing with me I guess.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: geise on 11/03/2015, 12:55 PMI never cared for FFT.  It's a good game, but I don't understand the huge popularity with it like it's the end all be all of tactics games.  That's probably why I don't like it that much.  Not fair, but it's a personal thing with me I guess.
I like Tactics Ogre more, if Final Fantasy Tactics weren't in Engrish it might have surpassed it on Playstation.
--DragonmasterDan

geise

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 11/03/2015, 01:28 PM
Quote from: geise on 11/03/2015, 12:55 PMI never cared for FFT.  It's a good game, but I don't understand the huge popularity with it like it's the end all be all of tactics games.  That's probably why I don't like it that much.  Not fair, but it's a personal thing with me I guess.
I like Tactics Ogre more, if Final Fantasy Tactics weren't in Engrish it might have surpassed it on Playstation.
Was the translation better on the psp or DS ports?

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: geise on 11/03/2015, 01:47 PMWas the translation better on the psp or DS ports?
The DS game is a sequel (as is the GBA one). I think the PSP version has a new translation.
--DragonmasterDan

technozombie

Quote from: geise on 11/03/2015, 12:55 PM
Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 11/02/2015, 03:02 PM
I never cared for FFT.  It's a good game, but I don't understand the huge popularity with it like it's the end all be all of tactics games.  That's probably why I don't like it that much.  Not fair, but it's a personal thing with me I guess.
FFT is a good game but I think most of its popularity comes from the fact that more people have played it based on the FF name.  Once you get T.G. Sid the game is a cakewalk.

Digi.k

I wanna add

Lunar Silver Star Story Complete
Lunar 2 Eternal Blue
Brave Fencer Musashi
Final Fantasy Tactics

I tried to get into Thousand Arms but loading pissed me off ..

seieienbu

Quote from: technozombie on 11/03/2015, 07:45 PMFFT is a good game but I think most of its popularity comes from the fact that more people have played it based on the FF name.  Once you get T.G. Sid the game is a cakewalk.
I don't know about that.  I loved the atmosphere of FFT.  You had hungry people fighting in the rain and the rich were belittled for not understanding how the world worked by impoverished thieves who were shortly thereafter struck down.  I tried playing the "sequel" on GBA and it was about children going to their favorite storybook land. 

On the one hand you had a game directed by Yasumi Matsuno (guy who made Tactics Ogre, Vagrant Story, others) that was about the struggles of poor people versus the oligarchy and the church and complicated themes of familial duty towards what is right for the people.  Then you had a sequel about how one 10 year old kid is sad that he's in a magical fairyland while two others are happy to be there and for some god damn stupid reason it is apparently against the religion of the Crocodile-men to equip bows and meanwhile Bunnygirls can't learn magic. 

I've never been more disappointed with a sequel in my life than with FFTA.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: seieienbu on 11/08/2015, 05:15 PMI've never been more disappointed with a sequel in my life than with FFTA.
*coughs* Chrono Cross
--DragonmasterDan

technozombie

Quote from: seieienbu on 11/08/2015, 05:15 PM
Quote from: technozombie on 11/03/2015, 07:45 PMFFT is a good game but I think most of its popularity comes from the fact that more people have played it based on the FF name.  Once you get T.G. Sid the game is a cakewalk.
I don't know about that.  I loved the atmosphere of FFT.  You had hungry people fighting in the rain and the rich were belittled for not understanding how the world worked by impoverished thieves who were shortly thereafter struck down.  I tried playing the "sequel" on GBA and it was about children going to their favorite storybook land. 

On the one hand you had a game directed by Yasumi Matsuno (guy who made Tactics Ogre, Vagrant Story, others) that was about the struggles of poor people versus the oligarchy and the church and complicated themes of familial duty towards what is right for the people.  Then you had a sequel about how one 10 year old kid is sad that he's in a magical fairyland while two others are happy to be there and for some god damn stupid reason it is apparently against the religion of the Crocodile-men to equip bows and meanwhile Bunnygirls can't learn magic. 

I've never been more disappointed with a sequel in my life than with FFTA.
I didn't mean to imply it wasn't a great game. I bought the game right after its release and loved it. I still do. I was just saying that because of the name more people have played than would have played games such as Tactics Ogre ( I've yet to play either Ogre game).

I agree 100% on FFTA. I was seriously disappointed in that game. It wasn't even the childish story but the watered down mechanics and the stupid thing where some abilities couldn't be used in battles, chosen at random.