10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Turbob Xpress: Bringing affordable "gamer's" games to the community! Nearly Gone

Started by BlueBMW, 10/29/2015, 10:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kosko99

MNKyDeth

Quote from: johnnykonami on 11/30/2015, 05:03 PMYou guys keep bringing them in and I'll keep buying them for sure.  Nice to just have a copy to play without worrying about rarity/price.  I plan to play through them all, it will just take some time I think!  DE2 is getting bumped to the top though.
If you liked the original Dungeon Explorer you'll love the second. Tons more content, lots more classes and even more hidden stuff.
It is one of my favs on this console.

tbone3969

"There's something out there in those trees and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."

seieienbu

Quote from: Bernie on 11/30/2015, 05:42 PM
Quote from: EvilEvoIX on 11/30/2015, 05:36 PMSuch an amazing community effort.  I wonder if it'll Crash the Collectard pricing on the real games? 
Not likely, as there will always be folks that want the real thing.  I have no issue with that however, as I am the same way for some things.  But if I have to choose between a bootie Beyond Shadowgate, or an original now.....I will take the bootie any day.
I'm relatively certain that most people who pay the current prices for games don't even bother playing them.  Maybe for five minutes to get enough footage of intro cinematics and gameplay for their youtube video where they brag about their collection but not through to the end to see what the game is actually about.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

NecroPhile

Quote from: seieienbu on 12/01/2015, 06:00 PMI'm relatively certain that most people who pay the current prices for games don't even bother playing them.  Maybe for five minutes to get enough footage of intro cinematics and gameplay for their youtube video where they brag about their collection but not through to the end to see what the game is actually about.
unboxing video: 10 minutes
gameplay video: 3 minutes

Funny but accurate.  :lol:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Mathius

Quote from: guest on 12/01/2015, 06:08 PM
Quote from: seieienbu on 12/01/2015, 06:00 PMI'm relatively certain that most people who pay the current prices for games don't even bother playing them.  Maybe for five minutes to get enough footage of intro cinematics and gameplay for their youtube video where they brag about their collection but not through to the end to see what the game is actually about.

True. Just look at the amount of peeps I rounded up for my Dracula X contest. I could only round up a few people that were willing to complete the game (which isn't that hard). *sigh* You guys are killing me!  :P

CatPix

Quote from: Mathius on 12/01/2015, 06:23 PMTrue. Just look at the amount of peeps I rounded up for my Dracula X contest. I could only round up a few people that were willing to complete the game (which isn't that hard). *sigh* You guys are killing me!  :P
I would have competed, but I received the game only last week, so that made me out of it by your own terms :D

seieienbu

Quote from: Mathius on 12/01/2015, 06:23 PM

True. Just look at the amount of peeps I rounded up for my Dracula X contest. I could only round up a few people that were willing to complete the game (which isn't that hard). *sigh* You guys are killing me!  :P
I saw the contest but didn't enter as I've already got a case.  Spent my gaming time over Thanksgiving playing Beyond Shadowgate instead.

Samuray

Well, it depends. Do you mean by "current prices" the contemporary eBay madness?

I, for one, am forced to pay current prices, but certainly not on eBay. Still, I want quite a few PCE games and what else am I supposed to do? I try to buy at reasonable prices and I am quite patient until I find some, but getting games for pocket change....well, not gonna happen anymore.

And here's the kicker: I do play them. :)  A lot. I even try to introduce people to the Engine who haven't heard of it before. Actually I'm doing a full introduction run with a friend of mine who loves retro games and shoot'em ups in particular but has never encountered the system before. And while we only play every title I have for a limited amount of time to get through all of them, we ARE of course planning on going back to play most, if not all, of them in great detail.

In between PC Engine Nights 1 and 2 (latter coming up on December 19) we kind of stumbled into almost finishing "Dragon Spirit". Just wanted to give it another quick spin....he wasn't too enamoured with it after the first PCE Night, but he now bumped it up on his personal score list, from 3 of 5 to a 4 of 5.

Wow, this was a lot more text than intended. Long story short, there are people still buying the games (albeit not on eBay) and actually playing them. :)

geise

Quote from: Samuray on 12/01/2015, 07:32 PMI even try to introduce people to the Engine who haven't heard of it before.
See.  There's your problem.

Mathius

Quote from: CatPix on 12/01/2015, 07:10 PM
Quote from: Mathius on 12/01/2015, 06:23 PMTrue. Just look at the amount of peeps I rounded up for my Dracula X contest. I could only round up a few people that were willing to complete the game (which isn't that hard). *sigh* You guys are killing me!  :P
I would have competed, but I received the game only last week, so that made me out of it by your own terms :D
At this point I'll take on anyone that wants to compete. When I wrote the OP I figured I'd get more takers.

Bernie

First round of batch two went out the door yesterday.  Printed some labels today, will get more done tomorrow, and make another run  by weeks end. 

Sent from my iPhone using your mama

Samuray

Quote from: geise on 12/01/2015, 09:00 PM
Quote from: Samuray on 12/01/2015, 07:32 PMI even try to introduce people to the Engine who haven't heard of it before.
See.  There's your problem.
Huh? How so? It's a lot of fun, actually.

Psycho Punch

Quote from: NecroPhile on 12/01/2015, 06:08 PM

I only have eyes to the game "Might and Magic 3: Isles of Terra" right now. And some other games that don't use the "file cabinet". Which castlevania happens to use.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs!
I had to delete THOUSANDS of error log entries cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

cr8zykuban0

Quote from: Bernie on 12/01/2015, 09:14 PMFirst round of batch two went out the door yesterday.  Printed some labels today, will get more done tomorrow, and make another run  by weeks end. 

Hey! just making sure if you received my payment for wave 2 cds?

technozombie

Quote from: Mathius on 12/01/2015, 09:07 PM
Quote from: CatPix on 12/01/2015, 07:10 PM
Quote from: Mathius on 12/01/2015, 06:23 PMTrue. Just look at the amount of peeps I rounded up for my Dracula X contest. I could only round up a few people that were willing to complete the game (which isn't that hard). *sigh* You guys are killing me! 
At this point I'll take on anyone that wants to compete. When I wrote the OP I figured I'd get more takers.
I could just post a screen shot of my %100 game just to pad your post lol.

Mathius

Quote from: guest on 12/01/2015, 10:21 PM

I only have eyes to the game "Might and Magic 3: Isles of Terra" right now. And some other games that don't use the "file cabinet". Which castlevania happens to use.
Good! When you're done you can teach me how to play that damn game lol

Bernie

Quote from: cr8zykuban0 on 12/01/2015, 10:22 PM
Quote from: Bernie on 12/01/2015, 09:14 PMFirst round of batch two went out the door yesterday.  Printed some labels today, will get more done tomorrow, and make another run  by weeks end. 

If you sent it, I got it.  :)

cr8zykuban0

Quote from: Bernie on 12/02/2015, 05:58 AM
Quote from: cr8zykuban0 on 12/01/2015, 10:22 PM

If you sent it, I got it.  :) 
Cool, thanks man. Cant wait to receive the games!

martinine

Just got my shipping number! So excited! I have been creating cases for them all. I made ones that look like the original Turbo CD cases, just black on the back with the cd logo and the color stripe along the top. Wave 2. The Wave 1 giant logo is not my fav.
Keith Courage is #1. Alpha Zone inhabitant for life. Thanks to this forum for rejuvenating and continuing my interest in all things Obey.

tbone3969

Just got my tracking number too.  Can't wait to play and beat Bonk 3.  That is the only one out of the 3 that I have not beaten. 

Question:  Is it worth playing and beating Super Bonk for SNES?  Or how about the one for NES?  Maybe I will try to beat them all.
"There's something out there in those trees and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."

Mathius

Quote from: tbone3969 on 12/02/2015, 03:29 PMJust got my tracking number too.  Can't wait to play and beat Bonk 3.  That is the only one out of the 3 that I have not beaten. 

Question:  Is it worth playing and beating Super Bonk for SNES?  Or how about the one for NES?  Maybe I will try to beat them all.
Super Bonk 2 on the Super Famicom is the best of the non-Turbo Bonk games. The rest are meh in my opinion. I can't speak for NES Bonk yet.

Scillianaire

I did not see that thread but I play that game all the time and I will compete any time! I am no wizard at it but It sure is fun!

780racer

I am pretty excited. I should be getting mine in the mail tomorrow! #Thursday

Bernie

Quote from: 780racer on 12/02/2015, 04:19 PMI am pretty excited. I should be getting mine in the mail tomorrow! #Thursday
Yours is an empty envelope! 

Mathius

Quote from: Bernie on 12/02/2015, 04:20 PM
Quote from: 780racer on 12/02/2015, 04:19 PMI am pretty excited. I should be getting mine in the mail tomorrow! #Thursday

Not totally empty. Bernie always leaves some kind of "gift" behind. Especially when someone pays him via "Gift." It always comes full circle.

780racer

Y U SO MEAN. Hopefully I will have gotten something from you... Other than empty envelope.

Bernie

Quote from: 780racer on 12/02/2015, 04:38 PM

Y U SO MEAN. Hopefully I will have gotten something from you... Other than empty envelope.
:)

780racer

Quote from: Bernie on 12/02/2015, 04:54 PM
Quote from: 780racer on 12/02/2015, 04:38 PM

:)
No one says it better than my Side Bae

Jason_dicarlo85

wilykat

So is there image somewhere that I can print for my own inserts?

johnnykonami

Mathius

^^I think those were the copies that Bernie allowed his kids to draw clouds and dinos on their bottom sides. He gave them exacto knives.

780racer

Quote from: Mathius on 12/02/2015, 06:21 PM^^I think those were the copies that Bernie allowed his kids to draw clouds and dinos on their bottom sides. He gave them exacto knives.
At least he got a set. I am just getting empty sleeves, haha

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: tbone3969 on 12/02/2015, 03:29 PMJust got my tracking number too.  Can't wait to play and beat Bonk 3.  That is the only one out of the 3 that I have not beaten. 

Super Bonk has it's moments, but, it really needs a revamped Turbob edition to make it worthwhile.  It has a few nice tunes, but most of them just don't sound Bonkish enough.  Maybe someday someone will make a nice platformer engine & remake Super Bonk with more vibrant colors(it's kind of dull looking, despite the number of onscreen colors) & CD tunes that mimic the music from Bonks' 1 & 2! 

Super Bonk 2 is indeed the best of the non-Turbob, though I don't like that when you die, you have to restart at checkpoints. 

The 1st 2 GB Bonk games are decent, but could use some Turbob editions as well.  The 3rd GB Bonk game is more of a variety game then an action adventure.  I've never totally decided if I like it or not.  It might atleast be good by mixing the mini games in it, into the 2nd GB Bonk game, since it really doesn't have any mini games other than the stupid competition thing with Robo Bonk.

The arcade game is nice looking, & I dig the music, but, it's not a typical Bonk game.  It was made for places like Golf n' Stuff, where you win tickets to buy a plastic mustache & some rubber bands.  If the basic assets of the game could be turned into a regular Bonk, that might be sweet.
IMG

kosko99

Bernie

Quote from: kosko99 on 12/03/2015, 05:42 AMMine is still in Australia awww yish  :dance:
That is strange.  Im not sure why a package destined for Spain would travel through Aussie town, but im sure you will get it. 

kosko99

Quote from: Bernie on 12/03/2015, 07:47 AM
Quote from: kosko99 on 12/03/2015, 05:42 AMMine is still in Australia awww yish  :dance:
That is strange.  Im not sure why a package destined for Spain would travel through Aussie town, but im sure you will get it. 

USPS being USPS  :mrgreen:

seieienbu

Quote from: kosko99 on 12/03/2015, 08:38 AM
Quote from: Bernie on 12/03/2015, 07:47 AM

USPS being USPS  :mrgreen:
...sounds about right.

IvanBeavkov

Quote from: wilykat on 12/02/2015, 05:55 PMSo is there image somewhere that I can print for my own inserts?
I made some and posted them in this thread, go here to see:
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?msg=435937

and here:
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?msg=436737

Bernie,
Just got my second batch today, many thanks. Now my only problem is to find enough time to play them.

Hmmmm.... maybe I should ask for TimeTM for Christmas that should fit in a stocking, right?

seieienbu

Tracking says my package arrived.  I'm looking forward to going home more than usual today.

retro junkie

Got my "Batch Two" today!  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:
Hope to have time this weekend to do some gaming.  :-k

ginoscope

Got my games in today thanks guys.

Going to try out Godzilla as I have never played this game before.

Groover

Thanks Bernie and crew. I just received them and I can't wait to play them tonight.
IMG
IMG

martinine

Keith Courage is #1. Alpha Zone inhabitant for life. Thanks to this forum for rejuvenating and continuing my interest in all things Obey.

csgx1

I also received mine in the mail today.  Thanks Bernie & Co.!

cr8zykuban0

Quote from: martinine on 12/03/2015, 09:25 PMTracking says I'll have mine Saturday! I can't wait!
me too! i cant wait! gotta order the inserts and manuals shortly after!!!

Psycho Punch

I never have the privilege of having tracking #s, what gives?
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs!
I had to delete THOUSANDS of error log entries cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp