The Analogue Turbo Duo clone shipped in time for Christmas 2023. Are you happy with yours ?? Find firmware updates here.
Main Menu

Retro VGS Game Console

Started by Mathius, 03/28/2015, 10:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jlued686

So they suckered the company who owns the Coleco name into slapping their logo on the front of this thing and are now trying to sell it as the return of a classic gaming company?

Fuckin' hell...

Coleco hasn't existed since they late 80s. River West LLC bought the name in ~2005.

Somebody has to make a mockumentary about this damn thing. The story is just too funny.

Corredor X

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 12/18/2015, 03:24 AMI know there have been mods in the past for Atari Flashbacks so you can play ye old carts in em'.
Talking about Flashback mods, has someone developed a mod to use the FB wireless controllers on a real Atari, using the FB bult-in receveirs or something like that?

esteban

I can't believe the Retro VGS saga has a new chapter: Coleco.

Amazingly absurd, yet so fitting.

I'm convinced that RVGS was a performance art project designed to troll the video game community.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

wilykat

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 12/18/2015, 03:24 AMWhat'd be great is if all the Flashbacks had cart ports.  I think only the Genesis ones have ports IIRC.  I know there have been mods in the past for Atari Flashbacks so you can play ye old carts in em'.
Genesis hand held system has SD card slot for loading games.  Not all games worked, no SMS support and obviously no 32x support without cart connector and video pass through support.  All of the Genesis FB has shit sound.  At Games can't get the official Yamaha sound chip detail and the POS clone they are using don't even come close.  It's too bad they never thought of including a solder spot for us who has access to real Yamaha sound chip to install it and disable built in sound chip.  The whole thing is under epoxy blob so it's not directly hackable either.

xcrement5x

Quote from: wilykat on 12/18/2015, 06:53 PM
Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 12/18/2015, 03:24 AMWhat'd be great is if all the Flashbacks had cart ports.  I think only the Genesis ones have ports IIRC.  I know there have been mods in the past for Atari Flashbacks so you can play ye old carts in em'.
Genesis hand held system has SD card slot for loading games.  Not all games worked, no SMS support and obviously no 32x support without cart connector and video pass through support.  All of the Genesis FB has shit sound.  At Games can't get the official Yamaha sound chip detail and the POS clone they are using don't even come close.  It's too bad they never thought of including a solder spot for us who has access to real Yamaha sound chip to install it and disable built in sound chip.  The whole thing is under epoxy blob so it's not directly hackable either.
The best Genesis clone by far was ones by Radica, they emulate the audio quite well in my opinion.

johnnykonami

Quote from: Lost Monkey on 12/18/2015, 08:47 AMI have controllers with a bypass adapter built in.  Basically, you plug this arcade style joystick into the CV's controller port and the wire has a Y in it with a place to plug in your CV controller.  They were mass manufactured but I never saw them at retail BITD. I got mine at a surplus store in the 90's. It was called the Prostick III.  (The buttons are on the front BTW)
Monkey, this is a brilliant idea!  I'm going to either find cables or a way to do my own pass through mod when I get my Coleco stuff out again.  Thanks for posting this!  BTW, I like that your controller almost looks like it says either Prosuck III or Prosack III depending on how you look at it.

Quote from: majors on 12/18/2015, 09:02 AMI'm not expert on INTV, but in the past two years I've had a interest and got 4 systems(I A/V modded 2 so far), handful of carts, the DS release of Intellivision Lives and a the Flashback. The best thing I feel is good on the FB is the pads. Regardless if you love or hate the disc controller, it is truth. Finding a perfect working 1978 INTV pad that works is laughable...with the FB, you get NEW controllers. I have no issue with the EMU that is running the ROMs, and they are the real ROMs from what I understand (unlike the NoaC, plug-in TV pads that came out earlier). If you have any interest in learning more about Intellivision, the Flashback is a cheap, easy start.

PS: I can't play any of more complicated games yet. I stick with Thunder Castle, Night Stalker, Astro Smash, Shark Shark and my current fav: Chip Shot Golf! (shout outs to Jodi for the hook up!). Eventually I'll read the manuals to figure them out.
I feel like it's still a better option than the Intellivision Lives collections, right?  Only because I am unsure how they handle the touchpad issue.  I could imagine you could pop up a virtual pad in the hud, perhaps even with full card graphics for every included game, but I dunno!  If that were the case, maybe the PS2 version would be nice to pick up.  I love the Activision 2600 collection.  But if I see the Intellivision Flashback for cheap enough, I will undoubtedly go for it.

DeshDildo

I'm over here just waiting for this thread to be renamed "Coleco Chameleon Console"
"You CAN'T prove Nulltard/DoxPhile caused ANY harm/damage/sabotage to PCEFX!! You have NO evidence he poached ANY members for his own failed PC Engine forum/site or was a conniving destructive saboteur! ZERO, ZIP, NADA!!! Nulltard did nothing wrong!"

CrackTiger

Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

SignOfZeta

Quote"It's ironic that a new 'retro' video-game system would actually revolutionize and revitalize the Coleco brand," said Coleco partner Chris Cardillo, in a press release. The project's a collaboration between Coleco and a company called Retro Video Game Systems.
Suck on that for a minute.

Fuck...
IMG

SuperGrafx

Even weirder, Ben Herman (who was previously head of SNK in the US) is associated with this.

SignOfZeta

Heh. That somehow makes sense. IIRC he has a mega Jersey accent, sure to win over investors. People listen to guys that are basically character actors.
IMG

technozombie

Quote from: guest on 12/20/2015, 09:01 PMColleco is back and "making" a new console!

http://toyland.gizmodo.com/old-school-video-game-maker-coleco-is-making-a-new-cart-1748546892
"This 21st-century console will play 20th-century 8-bit, 16-bit, and 32-bit titles. "

Statements like this are just so funny, and completely meaningless.

grolt

Haha so this is a Jaguar shell with a Wii U controller and the Coleco brand. It only needs a TurboTap and a SEGA CD expansion port to make this the ultimate Frankenstein console.
I'm a notorious strange man.

esteban

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 12/21/2015, 01:05 AMHeh. That somehow makes sense. IIRC he has a mega Jersey accent, sure to win over investors. People listen to guys that are basically character actors.
Hahjahahajjajajjaja

elmer

How did this one fly under my radar for the passed couple of days?  #-o

To celebrate the awesome re-branding of the tragically under-appreciated RetroVGS, we have ...

Nostalgia SH-IT Reboot
:wink:

NightWolve

Quote from: Gentlegamer on 12/17/2015, 12:03 PMA new development

http://www.retrovgs.com/f.a.q..html

http://nebula.wsimg.com/62033aff7f0f4c31610fa1eb7152f28a?AccessKeyId=E647432F0367AB6020A0&disposition=0&alloworigin=1
I wondered what I was gonna still find here after being away from the forums and having forgotten all about this thread... Would it just be elmer still milking this for every last possible lulz from where it left off ? Nope, instead a new chapter has opened, the "Coleco Cameleon..."

I honestly thought they were poking fun of themselves, but no, this looks like it's a serious Hail Mary retro reboot... So apparently attaching yourself to the name Coleco, another failed console-maker, while still using the shell of another failed console-maker, is the "winning formula" they were missing before ??? HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

I love these guys, I can't think of another thread in my viewing history that has brought so much lulz!!

Gentlegamer

Quote from: NightWolve on 12/31/2015, 10:47 PM
Quote from: Gentlegamer on 12/17/2015, 12:03 PMA new development

http://www.retrovgs.com/f.a.q..html

http://nebula.wsimg.com/62033aff7f0f4c31610fa1eb7152f28a?AccessKeyId=E647432F0367AB6020A0&disposition=0&alloworigin=1
I wondered what I was gonna still find here after being away from the forums and having forgotten all about this thread... Would it just be elmer still milking this for every last possible lulz from where it left off ? Nope, instead a new chapter has opened, the "Coleco Cameleon..."

I honestly thought they were poking fun of themselves, but no, this looks like it's a serious Hail Mary retro reboot... So apparently attaching yourself to the name Coleco, another failed console-maker, while still using the shell of another failed console-maker, is the "winning formula" they were missing before ??? HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

I love these guys, I can't think of another thread in my viewing history that has brought so much lulz!!
Happy Lulzmas
IMG

SephirothTNH

Quote from: NightWolve on 12/31/2015, 10:47 PMSo apparently attaching yourself to the name Coleco, another failed console-maker, while still using the shell of another failed console-maker, is the "winning formula" they were missing before ???
Maybe two wrongs really do make a right.

esteban

I know you are all jaded, but this entire fiasco was sublimely absurd art.

Dadaist.

Dada.

Dafuq.

Gentlegamer

IMG

NightWolve

A whole new round of lulz at their expense... I am somewhat exhausted of this and I actually liked "Retro VGS" as a title better, but hey, the show must go on. :P

NightWolve

I call it the "winning team" shot.

IMG

"We're gonna do it, we're gonna make it happen!"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

https://twitter.com/RETROVGS

NecroPhile

The guy on the right is trying to channel his inner Sam Axe.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Psycho Punch

Quote from: ctophil on 09/07/2015, 03:55 PMI think the RETRO VGS is a great idea.  I've bought reproduction carts of classic games for the past 3 years, as well as homebrew games.  I love buying old NES, SNES, or Sega Genesis games that never got an English translation and then finding new life in a repro cart complete with box, manual, and poster fully in English.  I believe the RETRO VGS will be more than just a system for indie titles.  It could be a home for old classics receiving HD Remasters, a breath of fresh air for budding game developers to achieve their dream of developing for a classic system like the SNES, Genesis, or even the Neo Geo, and you can even develop new games that take advantage of the full capabilities of the RETRO VGS.

Just imagine Square Enix, Konami, and Capcom jumping on board to revive their classic Secret of Mana & Final Fantasy titles, Castlevania, or even Mega Man?  If they find the HD Remasters working out, maybe they will even develop original content.

Frankly, I'm tired of the "digital revolution," where everything is downloadable to your hard drive.  Sure, it's convenient.  But I WANT a physical instruction manual, collectible maps & posters, and decent artwork on my game box.  Mike Kennedy knows his RETRO business because he is developing a console that is striving to stay away from the digital world (no internet connection for updates and such).  20 years from now, I want the RETRO VGS to still function without needing some patch from the Internet, unlike the Xbox One where it tries to connect to the Internet for every little thing.  I can't even play Killer Instinct on Xbox One without it saying, "The Console needs to go online for a game update."  You can't even save the game without the update?!?

I haven't heard anything about the system's price yet until the Kickstarter next week.  I wouldn't judge its price just yet until the official announcement.  Please support the RETRO VGS if you can.  I think it will make a statement to the mainstream console manufacturers. 
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs!
I had to delete THOUSANDS of error log entries cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

elmer

Quote from: NightWolve on 02/02/2016, 04:15 AMIMG
But what are they thinking? Perhaps something like this ...

"God, I hope that nobody sees this. I'm only here because these idiots paid me to take the photos!"

"My butt-plug tickles!"

"God, I miss being a High School jock. Everyone used to love me. Please let me go back in time and do it again!"

"Who are these guys again? Crap, who cares anyway ... Good weed, man!"

esteban

UNRELEASED TG-16 games will be released with Coleco Chameleon:
Marble Madness
Off the Wall

Mathius

Quote from: esteban on 02/02/2016, 08:29 PMUNRELEASED TG-16 games will be released with Coleco Chameleon:
Marble Madness
Off the Wall
Seriously?

esteban

Quote from: Mathius on 02/02/2016, 09:24 PM
Quote from: esteban on 02/02/2016, 08:29 PMUNRELEASED TG-16 games will be released with Coleco Chameleon:
Marble Madness
Off the Wall
Seriously?
Hell no.

But a bunch of unreleased Sega Genesis/MD games will be included. Stuff that Piko Interactive put out on carts...

Mathius

Quote from: esteban on 02/02/2016, 11:03 PM
Quote from: Mathius on 02/02/2016, 09:24 PM
Marble Madness
Off the Wall
Seriously?
Hell no.

But a bunch of unreleased Sega Genesis/MD games will be included. Stuff that Piko Interactive put out on carts...
Didn't think so. That Marble Madness guy is pretty much holding that proto for ransom.

NightWolve

Quote from: elmer on 02/02/2016, 08:19 PM
Quote from: NightWolve on 02/02/2016, 04:15 AMIMG
But what are they thinking? Perhaps something like this ...

"God, I hope that nobody sees this. I'm only here because these idiots paid me to take the photos!"

"My butt-plug tickles!"

"God, I miss being a High School jock. Everyone used to love me. Please let me go back in time and do it again!"

"Who are these guys again? Crap, who cares anyway ... Good weed, man!"
Ah, you did it in order from left to right. Heh, you read my mind on the 2nd one! Or, more like one of them just pinched or slapped his behind. ;)

Bloufo

There's just something about the big boss man in the pic.
Like an oily used car salesman.

jperryss

Quote from: Mathius on 02/02/2016, 11:57 PMDidn't think so. That Marble Madness guy is pretty much holding that proto for ransom.
He showed up, waved his e-peen around a bit, then vanished.

MotherGunner

Quote from: guest on 02/02/2016, 04:24 PMThe guy on the right is trying to channel his inner Sam Axe Jason Bly.
Fixed.

IMG
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

NecroPhile

Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

elmer

It all gets weirder!  :shock:

So the new Coleco Chameleon "prototype" is now on-display the the New York Toy Fair, and it's looking suspiciously like what they're showing is a SNES-clone motherboard, and that the "prototype" cartridge is actually an SD2SNES or a Super Everdrive.

The new KickStarter campaign starts in 2 weeks.

I didn't think that there was any way that this whole saga could possibly get any stranger!  :wink:

jperryss

Quote from: elmer on 02/13/2016, 12:57 PMIt all gets weirder!  :shock:

So the new Coleco Chameleon "prototype" is now on-display the the New York Toy Fair, and it's looking suspiciously like what they're showing is a SNES-clone motherboard, and that the "prototype" cartridge is actually an SD2SNES or a Super Everdrive.

I didn't think that there was any way that this whole saga could possibly get any stranger!  :wink:
Sure looks like an SNES connector to me.

mickcris

Quote from: elmer on 02/13/2016, 12:57 PMIt all gets weirder!  :shock:

Yeah, its pretty silly.  I think its actually an SNES mini though, not a clone. Here are the pics i posted over at atariage as to why i think its an snes flash cart:
https://imgur.com/a/4qD68
https://imgur.com/a/LNChD
and here is a pic they posted which looks like a nintendo multi out
https://imgur.com/AkTtvXW
i saved it as they are probably going to delete it

also the only 3 games they showed gameplay of are SNES games

SignOfZeta

Now...this is actually getting kind of ridiculous. At this point they've actually had enough time to at least make something horrible. We already know about the SNES, already have one. Thanks to Nintendo for that. Don't need some 21st century professional middle man trying to monetize the enjoyment I've had for the SNES for 25 years. That's been done. It paid Nintendo's bills and they moved on to the next thing. I suggest these guys do the same.
IMG

LostFlunky

It was just embarrassing enough already  - this is just leaving me almost speechless...

If it isn't obvious to the folks here and at Atari Age and elsewhere who have been following this, I will state it here: "You are not the target audience for this product."

This is a product for the grocery store end cap for someone who currently owns no classic gear, to wax nostalgic for a few minutes, and make an impulse purchase.  That is all...

mickcris

i think most know that.  we just enjoy watching the train wreck.  its never going to come to market anyways.  i almost feel bad for them, but this last stunt is a bit too much.

Psycho Punch

Lost Monkey the target audience is clearly NintendoAge style collectards which buy anything and everything "limited edition". They are trying to cash in on the collectard craze and it shows.

LOL if you think they have the same target audience as the folks behind Atari Flashback or something like that. It's a console not to be played, with games not to be opened.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs!
I had to delete THOUSANDS of error log entries cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

mickcris

Quote from: guest on 02/13/2016, 02:44 PMLost Monkey the target audience is clearly NintendoAge style collectards which buy anything and everything "limited edition". They are trying to cash in on the collectard craze and it shows.

LOL if you think they have the same target audience as the folks behind Atari Flashback or something like that. It's a console not to be played, with games not to be opened.
they should love it then since its a super nintendo

SignOfZeta

Quote from: Lost Monkey on 02/13/2016, 02:17 PMIt was just embarrassing enough already  - this is just leaving me almost speechless...

If it isn't obvious to the folks here and at Atari Age and elsewhere who have been following this, I will state it here: "You are not the target audience for this product."

This is a product for the grocery store end cap for someone who currently owns no classic gear, to wax nostalgic for a few minutes, and make an impulse purchase.  That is all...
You're describing a FOC with Pac Man on it. These guys seemed to be aiming much higher from the beginning, and seem doomed to only achieve much less. Having a grocery story endcap...they're so far from that they might as well be trying for a PlayStation 5.
IMG

LostFlunky

@Punch - I think Mike has moved on from the Collectards and thinks he is actually going to get major market penetration with the Coleco name...

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 02/13/2016, 02:52 PM
Quote from: Lost Monkey on 02/13/2016, 02:17 PMIt was just embarrassing enough already  - this is just leaving me almost speechless...

You're describing a FOC with Pac Man on it. These guys seemed to be aiming much higher from the beginning, and seem doomed to only achieve much less. Having a grocery story endcap...they're so far from that they might as well be trying for a PlayStation 5.
@Zeta
That is pretty much what I am saying...  Coleco would not be onboard unless they expected orders from Target, not Stone Age Gamer... Why else would they be at the toy fair?

CrackTiger

So it's now the Colecovision name on an Atari Jaguar shell with a SNES inside. :P Doesn't get anymore authentically "retro" than that.

Since half of the RVGS games were emulations of modest homebrew SNES games, why not just stick a SNES-on-a-chip inside there?

They can get pikointeractive onboard to publish their SNES titles in different shaped carts with the special code that keeps SNES games from being locked out.

Quote@Zeta
That is pretty much what I am saying...  Coleco would not be onboard unless they expected orders from Target, not Stone Age Gamer... Why else would they be at the toy fair?
As many have said, these losers are mentally ill and shooting for the stars. If they can anyone else to stock their limited edition carts, they take the money and run and just change their business plan yet again. They just desperately want to feel special and like the rockstars of the gaming world that they already believe themselves to be.

Coleco is literally a name owned by a company that licenses its usage. They don't care about the non-existent brand at all. If you have a modest amount of money, you put out Colecovision cereal and Colecovisipn tampons. Just pay for the license, print a bunch of stickers with your computer and stick them on stock you buy at the dollar store. But if you were a business genius like the RVGS crew, you'd number each of your limited edition tampons and then release a new numbered batch with slightly different holographic labels and variant chase tampons.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

DeshDildo

This whole fiasco is literally going to provide years of lulz.  I still think they're just stringing us along as a joke... I mean this really can't be real.
"You CAN'T prove Nulltard/DoxPhile caused ANY harm/damage/sabotage to PCEFX!! You have NO evidence he poached ANY members for his own failed PC Engine forum/site or was a conniving destructive saboteur! ZERO, ZIP, NADA!!! Nulltard did nothing wrong!"

Gentlegamer

Quote from: guest on 02/13/2016, 03:16 PMSo it's now the Colecovision name on an Atari Jaguar shell with a SNES inside. :P Doesn't get anymore authentically "retro" than that
Wait, wut?

*goes to Atari Age, subscribed to Coleco Chameleon thread*

*175 notifications*

Oh, this gonna be good!
IMG

LostFlunky

Ok, so it (apparently) was a SNES mini in the Jag case yesterday...

Mike has proven to be the type that will do ANYTHING to keep the charade going, so I propose that what he may do today,  is have a different console inside the Jag so that he can demo something else.   He'll make up some excuse as to why the SNES controllers are no longer working with it etc...  If he has enough tape he may be able to get an N64 in there...

Of course if he does this  - it will be 100% for the people discussing the POS online and not for the people at the toy fair...

mickcris

i took a pic this morning of an snes mini and put a jag shell on top cause someone asked for it.  judge for yourselves.  mine is on the bottom:
IMG
IMG

LostFlunky

Didn't have time for the electrical tape? lol

So sad.