The Analogue Turbo Duo clone shipped in time for Christmas 2023. Are you happy with yours ?? Find firmware updates here.
Main Menu

Retro VGS Game Console

Started by Mathius, 03/28/2015, 10:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SephirothTNH

Quote from: Opethian on 09/22/2015, 03:09 PMI don't get it how can this be retro unless they build a time machine?
Throwing a time machine into the mix I don't see how anything can be retro.  If you brought something to the future it would just be old.  If you brought something to the past it would be futuristic. 

That's actually the one thing they got right.  A modern console that uses cartridges, like the old days, and looks like an Atari Jaguar, from the old days, fit's the very definition of retro.  An actual Atari Jaguar for instance is not retro. 

All that said this whole thing is a steaming pile of crap.  Except you know it doesn't exist so more so the steam then the actual crap itself.

Mathius

Someone should "pledge" the 3 or so million they're asking for then 5 minutes before their campaign is scheduled to end pull their funding. It'll be nerds flying outta windows 1920s stock market crash style.

o.pwuaioc

Quote from: Opethian on 09/22/2015, 03:09 PMI don't get it how can this be retro unless they build a time machine?
Retro is not a synonym for old. Retro means throwback. Retro jerseys are new jerseys that are in an old style. Retro clothing imitates old styles of clothing, but they are not themselves old. Retro games are new games that are in the style of old games. VVVVVV is a retro game, Super Metroid is not.

Only by thoroughly butchering the English language and erasing 2 thousand years of linguistic history can retro just mean "old", and we need to stamp out that barbarism now.

elmer

Quote from: guest on 09/22/2015, 11:50 PMOnly by thoroughly butchering the English language and erasing 2 thousand years of linguistic history can retro just mean "old", and we need to stamp out that barbarism now.
It's just so "retro" of you to be so hung up on "definitions" and "meanings" and irrelevant crap like that.

"Retro" is a "feeling" ... and if you don't get that, you're just so ... so ... "square"; man!  :wink:

Arkhan Asylum

Meanwhile, in Japan
Retro done properly.

I still find it hilarious Kevtris got thrown under the bus, and then shoved it up their ass.

I don't agree with his HDMINES buy it now fiasco, but, man, is that funny.

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

EvilEvoIX

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 09/22/2015, 09:27 AMSlick salesman with a hat:The name's Lanley, Lyle Lanely, and I've got the greatest idea you've ever..

Well, it's not for you. It's really more of an AtariAge idea.

Rube: What's it called?

Slick salesman with a hat: VGS

Rube: How's it spelled?

Slick salesman with a hat: V G S

Crowd chants VGS, VGS, VGS, VGS

Smart consumer: That thing looks like a fucking mess!

Slick salesman with a hat: You don't mean the VGS?

Miss Hoover: I hear those things are awfully loud,

Slick salesman with a hat: it plays as softly as a cloud

Convenience Store Owner: Is there a chance the company could fold?

Slick salesman with a hat: Not from what the kickstarter told

Drunk: What about us collectards?

Slick salesman with a hat:  you'll be given plastic carts

Grandpa: Were you sent here by the Devil?

Slick salesman with a hat:  No good sir I'm on the level

I swear it's gaming's only choice, the throw up your cash, and waste your joy.

Mom: The games all look like crap and broken!

Bob: Sorry mom the mob has spoken

Monorail !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

o.pwuaioc

Quote from: elmer on 09/23/2015, 12:06 AM
Quote from: guest on 09/22/2015, 11:50 PMOnly by thoroughly butchering the English language and erasing 2 thousand years of linguistic history can retro just mean "old", and we need to stamp out that barbarism now.
It's just so "retro" of you to be so hung up on "definitions" and "meanings" and irrelevant crap like that.

"Retro" is a "feeling" ... and if you don't get that, you're just so ... so ... "square"; man!  :wink:
Good thing it's hip to be square.

NightWolve

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 09/22/2015, 09:27 AMSlick salesman with a hat:The name's Lanley, Lyle Lanely, and I've got the greatest idea you've ever..

Well, it's not for you. It's really more of an AtariAge idea.

Rube: What's it called?

Slick salesman with a hat: VGS

Rube: How's it spelled?

Slick salesman with a hat: V G S

Smart consumer: That thing looks like a fucking mess!

Slick salesman with a hat: You don't mean the VGS?

Miss Hoover: I hear those things are awfully loud,

Slick salesman with a hat: it plays as softly as a cloud

Convenience Store Owner: Is there a chance the company could fold?

Slick salesman with a hat: Not from what the kickstarter told

Drunk: What about us collectards?

Slick salesman with a hat:  you'll be given plastic carts

Grandpa: Were you sent here by the Devil?

Slick salesman with a hat:  No good sir I'm on the level

I swear it's gaming's only choice, the throw up your cash, and waste your joy.

Mom: The games all look like crap and broken!

Bob: Sorry mom the mob has spoken

Gotta hand it to ya Dan, in following up Kevtris' Simpsons' reference with a much better thought out one based on the monorail con-guy, you have thoroughly impressed me for the first time. :)

You know, to be fully honest about the whole idea of this, it offends me in a way...

I hate the industry model of OK, time for PS1, build new hardware, build up its library, now it's done, OK, time for PS2, build new hardware, build up its library, now it's done, OK, time for PS3, build new hardware, build up its library, now it's done, OK, time for PS4, build new hardware, build up its library, now it's done, etc., repeat ad nauseam infinitum...

So that's what we get from the big boys, Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft, etc. But now here come some fans who wanna do the SAME DAMN thing in a "me too" fashion, lock game developers on their particular idea for hardware but based on old ideas that were suitable for a time long gone and the ONLY affordable way to do things in the 80's/90's...

Yet another console, yet another and another is simply more division of game libraries and I would rather just see the targeting of dominant PC Operating Systems like Windows and now Android given its dominance for small devices like tablets and phones...

When the PC cost $2,000 back in the 90's and an arcade cabinet about the same give or take, bringing the experience of gaming to your home with an Atari 2600, then on to NES, SNES, Genesis, TG-16, etc. for $99 to $199 made economic sense. It allowed for bringing the arcade experience home and also for other types of games to sell like RPGs. But now that the console costs the same as about an equally powered PC, why am I still having to buy new hardware variants all the time from Sony, Nintendo, etc. ? Just make the games on universal platforms, i.e. Windows and Android! The install base for the PC is way beyond what it was back when consoles took off... Stop dividing me all the time with new hardware variants that are just as powerful now as my PC and cost about the same... The PC lasts much much longer and the backwards compatibility model can still keep things going on the next upgrade of your PC, etc.

So, you know, like many, I feel the console idea has outlived its usefulness as a cheap alternative to the PC and something mainly meant to specialize in games... I'll always value the experiences of growing up with them, but they're not the way to the future nor should they be...

These NG machines are just licensing cash grabs by companies and getting you to buy them because of exclusives they won't port elsewhere... If you make a videogame for Windows or Android, you don't have to pay a license fee for the privilege to code on the OS to say Microsoft or Google... That's an open-licensing model. If it's a closed model like all/most consoles traditionally are, any app/game you made, you'd have to pay a fee! So, developers can choose Windows, make the game, distribute it on Steam or for cheap on their own websites, no license fee to Microsoft and they're done! To make it for PS4, you gotta pay Sony a license fee, pay for a devkit if that's not included, and then pay to press the media... This model can't continue to survive... Why should it ?

These RVGS guys also exploit the aggravation of system updates and patches all the time... Well, 5 years ago, when you were stuck on a 1 Mbps DSL line, I can understand. We've moved on to 15-30 Mbps and in another 10 years, we'll be moving on to fiber optics and dealing with gigabit speeds, so downloading will be done in a blink of an eye. Not to mention later generations of PCs with faster CPUs and writes will take less time to install said updates/patches, so that's the solution to the aggravation, the continued advancement... Their idea is exploiting nostalgia and romanticism in the console days when that was just plain 0 and that's their idea for their new console, to make that 0, lock it out from fixes/updates which is just plainly a f--king stupid idea...

There are so many other rational things you could do instead of 0 network support like simply limit system updates only every quarter instead of every other day as soon as they're available so that the consumer doesn't notice them as much, and then only severe security fixes are available immediately or what have you...

Whatever... In short, IMO it's all a f--king stupid idea and I find it very insulting actually! They're a team of knuckleheads and I wanna see this crash'n'burn like it should!

elmer

Quote from: guest on 09/23/2015, 12:51 AMGood thing it's hip to be square.
Hahaha ... a Hewie Lewis ripost ... touché!  :wink:

Quote from: guest on 09/23/2015, 12:49 AMMeanwhile, in Japan
Less perv, more feeling ...  :)
This should go in the Anime thread ... but since Mike Kennedy and friends are killing this one without my help ... and since Arkhan has already gone off-topic ... here's hoping for a 2nd season ...

Arkhan Asylum

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

elmer

Quote from: guest on 09/23/2015, 02:02 AMLess perv?
NAILED IT.
Prepubescent Japanese schoolgirls???  #-o

Arkhan ... have you ever tried to find out just how many FBI WatchLists you're on???  :-k

Arkhan Asylum

Psycho Punch

What is going on in this page?
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

Arkhan Asylum

something cooler than the RetroVGS, that's for sure.

EDIT: Also, these chicks are my age.  lol  FUCK YOU CHRIS HANSEN.

NightWolve

Arkhan with the Asian fever all the time. :)

You finally found/shared a good one there! Bouncy, young, cute Asian gals. I assume legal, too! I understand the Japanese are a bit lax in that area from what I hear/know... :/

elmer

Quote from: guest on 09/23/2015, 02:33 AMsomething cooler than the RetroVGS, that's for sure.
Hahaha!

OK ... let's bring Arkhan's "beach music" video back to the era that the RETRO VGS folks want us to go ...
Seriously ... the RETRO VGS is dead, and all the discussion/hopes of Kevtris's new potential FPGA retro board is going on at AtariAge.

Until Mike Kennedy and "friends" post something interesting ... what else is left to talk about?

Arkhan Asylum

elmer

Quote from: guest on 09/23/2015, 03:01 AM
Brilliant! That may well be better than the original.   :D

elmer

Quote from: elmer on 09/23/2015, 02:57 AMSeriously ... the RETRO VGS is dead, and all the discussion/hopes of Kevtris's new potential FPGA retro board is going on at AtariAge.
If people haven't seen it yet, Kevtris is trying to figure out if it's worth his while to try to manufacture a 1,000 or so FPGA boards specifically aimed at the small group of people that want cycle-accurate recreations of old consoles (up to 16-bit era, i.e. PCE).

Now I'm sure that most people here would prefer to have real hardware ... but for those that want to hedge their bets against the time that it's going to be hard to keep the original systems functioning ...

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/242970-fpga-based-videogame-system/

NightWolve

Gredler

I'm just going to go ahead and assume the last 10 post's links are nsfw :P

Mathius

Arkhan, get that shit outta my thr.....wait. Grease death metal? Oh brother.

elmer

You know that the RETRO VGS campaign is really off the rails when somebody produces such a brilliant parody of their sizzle video ...
And yet another "ouch" ...

Not being a "RETRO Video Game Magazine" follower, I was under the impression that Mike Kennedy had gained at least some small measure of respect from various sites for his creation/running of that magazine for the last couple of years.

He is certainly quick to mention it as one of his successes when it comes to asking people to fund the RETRO VGS.

This was an interesting read, and the link to the "backers" comments on the RVGM KickStarter page gives some idea of how well the business is being run ...

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?258518-New-quot-Retro-VGS-quot-2D-Cartridge-based-console&p=3943399&viewfull=1#post3943399

CrackTiger

When I've had to wait for my wife at the big chain book store, there are a few times that I've flipped through that magazine. It was even worse than I expected, with more misinformation than ever and catering to collectardation.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

CGQuarterly

Quote from: elmer on 09/24/2015, 11:17 AMYou know that the RETRO VGS campaign is really off the rails when somebody produces such a brilliant parody of their sizzle video ...
That guy's YouTube channel is horribly under-rated.  If you liked this flavor of satire, check out his Patreon announcement video.

esteban

Wow. The entertainment has only improved.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

LostFlunky

...and more backers have backed out today...

CGQuarterly

Apparently Gary Kitchen, who the Retro VGS folks bragged about having as a backer, got his $1000+ pledge refunded.

SignOfZeta

Super
High
Impact
Tea Bag
IMG

elmer

Quote from: CGQuarterly on 09/24/2015, 06:39 PMApparently Gary Kitchen, who the Retro VGS folks bragged about having as a backer, got his $1000+ pledge refunded.
As damning as that would be, there's still the possibility that it's just a mistake ...

Quote from: MikeKennedyHey Everyone,

We have confirmed, according to our IGG rep that Paypal is canceling some pledges for no reason(having to do with something triggering their fraud dept), and we are discussing with them now. We found out when one large backer said his pledge was reversed and he told us about it. Have any of you had this happen? If so let us know as we don't know if it's an isolated incident or happing frequently.

We will keep on keepin' on!

Mike

CrackTiger

The problem with paypal is probably that some people reported the fundraiser for being misleading.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

LostFlunky

..."something triggering their fraud dept"...  Yeah, a little something called 'common sense'...

Opethian

lol this story writes itself
IMG

LostFlunky

Well we are now at negative backers for today...

esteban

RVGS: The Gift that keeps on Giving.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

elmer

But not for much longer!  :wink:

LostFlunky

Quote from: elmer on 09/24/2015, 09:40 PMBut not for much longer!  :wink:
Shit - I didn't realize it had rolled over to the 25th already...

PCEngineHell

I mean, you know, why would I even want this hunk of shit? The price is crap. The games are not classics or even groundbreaking. There is no killer ap announced for this thing, and they are trying too hard with the hype buildup, so hard it is not even remotely convincing me that they can and will deliver everything they say they will. And I mean, for the asking price, there is all sorts of classic systems waiting to be bought with hundreds of legit classic titles available at better prices.

NightWolve

Quote from: elmer on 09/24/2015, 11:17 AMYou know that the RETRO VGS campaign is really off the rails when somebody produces such a brilliant parody of their sizzle video ...
And yet another "ouch" ...
Hahahahaha! Yeah, this might just shape up to being a legendary debacle with high entertainment value!

It all started with the mold/shell selection of the Atari Jaguar, a previously failed console of the past... This, ladies and gentlemen, essentially was the first "executive decision" from a "team" of gaming fans knuckleheads and that right there pretty much told you *all* that you needed to know about how this tale was going to end... :P

SignOfZeta

Quote from: PCEngineHell on 09/24/2015, 11:51 PMI mean, you know, why would I even want this hunk of shit? The price is crap. The games are not classics or even groundbreaking. There is no killer ap announced for this thing, and they are trying too hard with the hype buildup, so hard it is not even remotely convincing me that they can and will deliver everything they say they will. And I mean, for the asking price, there is all sorts of classic systems waiting to be bought with hundreds of legit classic titles available at better prices.
I seriously don't think these fools could deliver a Famiclone that could play Super Mario Bros.
IMG

PCEngineHell

You know when this campaign fails they will toss the blame on the different communities and naysayers, etc, and not at all on their flimsy but overly hyped ponzi scheme built upon an Atari Jaguar shell, or their terrible past track record with the Retro magazine.

sirhcman

Quote from: PCEngineHell on 09/25/2015, 12:29 PMYou know when this campaign fails they will toss the blame on the different communities and naysayers, etc, and not at all on their flimsy but overly hyped ponzi scheme built upon an Atari Jaguar shell, or their terrible past track record with the Retro magazine.
You don't have to wait for the campaign to fail, they have already planted that seed. This is from their facebook post from last weekend:

QuoteUnlike many of the people who are infesting this project with negativity, people who have never written a line of code or developed any marketable hardware of any sort, Steve Woita and John Carlsen have been actually making successful and fun gaming software and hardware for a few decades for companies like Apple, Atari, Sega, Nintendo, Tengen, Activision, Iguana Entertainment, etc.

CGQuarterly

Quote from: elmer on 09/24/2015, 08:23 PM
Quote from: CGQuarterly on 09/24/2015, 06:39 PMApparently Gary Kitchen, who the Retro VGS folks bragged about having as a backer, got his $1000+ pledge refunded.
As damning as that would be, there's still the possibility that it's just a mistake ...

We have confirmed, according to our IGG rep that Paypal is canceling some pledges for no reason(having to do with something triggering their fraud dept), and we are discussing with them now. We found out when one large backer said his pledge was reversed and he told us about it. Have any of you had this happen? If so let us know as we don't know if it's an isolated incident or happing frequently.

Mike
So then why hasn't he re-backed it?

Mathius

Quote from: PCEngineHell on 09/25/2015, 12:29 PMYou know when this campaign fails they will toss the blame on the different communities and naysayers, etc, and not at all on their flimsy but overly hyped ponzi scheme built upon an Atari Jaguar shell, or their terrible past track record with the Retro magazine.
It's not too bad of a mag. I enjoy it for what it is. I do agree though that it is a little bit more collectardy than when it began.

CrackTiger

Quote from: guest on 09/25/2015, 01:06 PMt
You don't have to wait for the campaign to fail, they have already planted that seed. This is from their facebook post from last weekend:

QuoteUnlike many of the people who are infesting this project with negativity, people who have never written a line of code or developed any marketable hardware of any sort, Steve Woita and John Carlsen have been actually making successful and fun gaming software and hardware for a few decades for companies like Apple, Atari, Sega, Nintendo, Tengen, Activision, Iguana Entertainment, etc.
Except that the most damning criticism of this fiasco since it was first announced, has been from people with various development experience as well as people who intimately are familiar with the hardware development side.

It takes an extra oblivious narcissist to so negatively paint anyone who doesn't blindly worship them as "infesting" their project "with negativity".

LostFlunky

Quote from: CGQuarterly on 09/25/2015, 02:20 PM
Quote from: elmer on 09/24/2015, 08:23 PM

Mike
So then why hasn't he re-backed it?
Paypal won't let him! Down to 190 backers now, from 192 at midnight..

mickcris

the crowdcharts page is predicting that it will stay where it is now. Probably the algorithm isn't made to show a lower amount than what it currently is

http://crowdcharts.com/campaign/retro-vgs

PCEngineHell

Quote from: Mathius on 09/25/2015, 02:26 PM
It's not too bad of a mag. I enjoy it for what it is. I do agree though that it is a little bit more collectardy than when it began.
The main problem with the mag is they did not deliver the product they said they would. The mag has had constant delays, and the quality and content is not where it should be really. A lot of people who backed it have been pretty unhappy with the results. Knowing that, for me its like, if these guys cant even manage to put out a classic game mag on a semi regular basis at a consistent quality, what makes anyone think they can deliver an actual game console, and actual games for that matter? Only the extremely naive would buy into this thing. The same types that buy into absurd time sharing deals, donate to the 700 Club, buy "AS SEEN ON TV" products, etc. Basically the same kinda fools that can be talked into buying anything.

Medic_wheat

Quote from: PCEngineHell on 09/25/2015, 03:48 PM
Quote from: Mathius on 09/25/2015, 02:26 PM
The main problem with the mag is they did not deliver the product they said they would. The mag has had constant delays, and the quality and content is not where it should be really. A lot of people who backed it have been pretty unhappy with the results. Knowing that, for me its like, if these guys cant even manage to put out a classic game mag on a semi regular basis at a consistent quality, what makes anyone think they can deliver an actual game console, and actual games for that matter? Only the extremely naive would buy into this thing. The same types that buy into absurd time sharing deals, donate to the 700 Club, buy "AS SEEN ON TV" products, etc. Basically the same kinda fools that can be talked into buying anything.
Pat use to write for it as well.

In his recent YouTube video on the system (a whopping two parter!). He mentioned how he no longer writes for it.

SignOfZeta

Are we talking about that UK mag that thinks the Spectrum is an significant as the SNES or some new thing? I assume it's something else, but I thought the UK one was "Retro" or something.
IMG