@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Nintendo Switch Thread (previously NX)

Started by Otaking, 07/03/2016, 08:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Otaking

Looks like the NX might be a cartridge based console and there will be no optical drive, so no backwards compatibility with the Wii U physical games.
I'm fully aware there will be zero fucks given by alot of forum numbers.  :P :P
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86jH2UQmvKY&t=812s
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

TheClash603

Wii U is something special, I am enjoying it more than the last three Nintendo consoles and am okay with it always being its own thing.  Hands down the best console this generation.

I hope NX can bring me at least half the fun of Wii U, then it will be a must buy.

Medic_wheat

Thread reminder for when NC stuff is actually released for discussion

wildfruit

If these cartridges materialise I hope they are massively oversized and in clamshells. Not neo geo big. But still big.

TheClash603

Quote from: wildfruit on 07/03/2016, 05:07 PMIf these cartridges materialise I hope they are massively oversized and in clamshells. Not neo geo big. But still big.
It would be nice if there were at least bigger than 3DS games / SD cards.  Even something Genesis sized would be fun, especially if they made cart ownership appealing by doing things like making them colorful and actually including manuals with each game.  I think the Amiibo fad has shown Nintendo people like physical things, as this was essentially a way to tie a figure to DLC.  Make these cartridges $60 and the downloads $50, to appeal to both types of customers and make the margins make sense.

Medic_wheat

Quote from: TheClash603 on 07/03/2016, 06:47 PM
Quote from: wildfruit on 07/03/2016, 05:07 PMIf these cartridges materialise I hope they are massively oversized and in clamshells. Not neo geo big. But still big.
It would be nice if there were at least bigger than 3DS games / SD cards.  Even something Genesis sized would be fun, especially if they made cart ownership appealing by doing things like making them colorful and actually including manuals with each game.  I think the Amiibo fad has shown Nintendo people like physical things, as this was essentially a way to tie a figure to DLC.  Make these cartridges $60 and the downloads $50, to appeal to both types of customers and make the margins make sense.
The statement about the cartridges being Genesis sized and colorful I I steamy think of the famicom.

IMG

esteban

Yeah, Famicon Carts!

NINTENDO SHOULD GO BACK TO ITS ROOTS!!!!
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

TheClash603

As long as the boxes are more like Mr. Gimmick and less cardboard.  That's why I used Genesis as an example, cardboard boxes are a pain in the ass.

esadajr

IMG

Ooh shiny pain in the ass yes bring it
Gaming since 1985

NecroPhile

Cartridges sound like a bad (expensive) move, but I guess it's inevitable if the NX is going to be some console/portable hybrid.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

esadajr

Quote from: guest on 07/05/2016, 11:25 AMCartridges sound like a bad (expensive) move, but I guess it's inevitable if the NX is going to be some console/portable hybrid.
Wouldn't be a cartridge per se, just a Nintendo game card on a shell. Wouldn't be substantially more expensive than a 3DS card. Use a SNES shell to cater to the collectard fétiche
Gaming since 1985

TDIRunner

While I would love to see full size cartridges, I can't imagine how these will be any bigger than an SD card or 3DS card.
Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

NecroPhile

Quote from: esadajr on 07/05/2016, 12:43 PMWouldn't be a cartridge per se, just a Nintendo game card on a shell. Wouldn't be substantially more expensive than a 3DS card. Use a SNES shell to cater to the collectard fétiche
For portability, I assume it'll have to be small like a 3DS game.  Expense is relative to disc media, where a 32gb SDXC card is $10 and a 50gb Bluray is 50 cents.

esadajr

Quote from: TDIRunner on 07/05/2016, 12:44 PMWhile I would love to see full size cartridges, I can't imagine how these will be any bigger than an SD card or 3DS card. 
A pass through adapter. Make money selling cleaning kits.
Gaming since 1985

Otaking

Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

Gredler

I imagine this thing is like a reverse Wii U - the console is mounted to the gamepad, and the unit that receives a near range signal to transmit video is on the TV rather than then gamepad. A small chrome cast like HDMI dongle will be the TV element, and everything else will be housed in the hand held unit. This would basically make it a portable system but also easily and by design attach to televisions wirelessly.

BlueBMW

I agree with theclash.  The Wii U is far and away the best console of this generation.  There are so many excellent AAA games for it compared to the other two guys.  I hope Nintendo does something fun with the NX.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

Otaking

New Pat and Ian video on the NX

Otaking

Latest credible NX rumours:

-"Interact with your game on the go" is on an NX poster
-Mario game on launch
-At least four games on launch
-Demo units hit retail stores in February 2017
-Base model price is $299.99
-There will be a bundle SKU which is currently aiming at $399.99
-Branding colouring is blue and white
-4K streaming support for things like Netflix (not gameplay)
-Console aiming 1080p at 60fps

crazydean

Quote from: Otaking on 10/09/2016, 05:37 PMLatest credible NX rumours:

-"Interact with your game on the go" is on an NX poster
-Mario game on launch
-At least four games on launch
-Demo units hit retail stores in February 2017
-Base model price is $299.99
-There will be a bundle SKU which is currently aiming at $399.99
-Branding colouring is blue and white
-4K streaming support for things like Netflix (not gameplay)
-Console aiming 1080p at 60fps
Most of these seem like a no-brainer. At least four launch games? Even the Virtual Boy had four games at launch. Mario game at launch? Necessary if they want to interest casuals and Nintendo fans. Price is $300 or $400? Sounds competitive.

Anyway, the one that really jumps out at me is the blue and white color. Chronologically, it has been grey, grey again, black, purple and black, white, white or black. I could see blue and white if it's like the SNES, where it's mostly gray with purple switches.

Feb '17 seems like a bad time, though. Typically, companies do well when launching consoles near Christmas. I couldn't imagine waiting six months after the demo is released before launching the console.

Shit, idk. Besides, there is no final product yet. There's still time for Nintendo to change their own plans/decisions.

technozombie

IMO if Nintendo produces a hand held using an Intel Atom chip like those used in some tablets and smartphones and allows it to be docked into a thunderbolt 3.0 station that is connected to a TV and is equiped with an Nvidia GTX 1050/1060 it will be amazing. This would allow them to utilize x86 architecture and make it easier for developers to port games from PS4 and Xbone while also allowing for a console handheld hybrid of competing performance to the previously mentioned. Nintendo won't do that though, because it makes too much sense.

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=yNtMQfphs5M

Otaking

QuoteAhead of the NX reveal one share market tracker has downgraded Nintendos outlook to Neutral.

http://seekingalpha.com/news/3213925-expecting-nx-console-disappointment-macquarie-cuts-nintendo-neutral

They cite expectations that the NX will be priced too high and hardware sales will disappoint as a result. Also, that Nintendo's mobile titles are continuing to exclude iPhone and China restricting potential sales.

Otaking

NecroPhile

It looks much too large to really be a portable yet much too small to be usable in group gaming without docked to a real TV.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: guest on 10/20/2016, 10:15 AMIt looks much too large to really be a portable yet much too small to be usable in group gaming without docked to a real TV.
Wait for the Nintendo Switch Junior and XL models which I'm sure are coming.
--DragonmasterDan

Otaking

The biggest reveal of the video is the footage of a new 3D Mario game.

IMG

Otaking

I just searched youtube for Nintendo Switch reaction and found a video of the most irritating human being on the planet.

jtucci31

I don't know about you guys, but I'm pretty pumped. Looks like it'll have some better 3rd party support with shit like Skyrim.

Looks somewhat WiiU backwards compatible. Rerelease on cartridge/SD card? Actual discs??

Otaking

The previous NX leaks on the designs were pretty much spot on.
The other major leak was that it had no optical drive and looks like that is correct too, in the video it looks like the games are on SD card style game cartridges.

Gentlegamer

IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

jtucci31

Quote from: Otaking on 10/20/2016, 10:59 AMI just searched youtube for Nintendo Switch reaction and found a video of the most irritating human being on the planet.
I suddenly don't want the Switch anymore

bob

hopefully the battery lasts longer than the 20 mins you get out of the wii-u tablet

Medic_wheat

Nintendo you have my attention. 

Kind of hoping t will work with DS/3DS cards out of the box. Granted that's more of a pipe dream.

Otaking

o.pwuaioc

Quote from: guest on 10/20/2016, 11:44 AM
Quote from: Otaking on 10/20/2016, 10:59 AMI just searched youtube for Nintendo Switch reaction and found a video of the most irritating human being on the planet.
I suddenly don't want the Switch anymore
Surprised you'd want it at all. What part of this looks good? The oversized "handheld"? The awkward looking controller? The tiny screens for "multiplayer"?

Otaking

esadajr

Interesting how they try to market it to young adults.

Also interesting will be to see if the Switch's digital business model will be the same as with the Wii U. ie how difficult will it be to recover your content in case something happens to your console.
Gaming since 1985

sirhcman

Otaking

What price do peeps here think it will launch at?

Digi.k

how many threads are there? T__T

Quote from: Otaking on 10/20/2016, 11:06 AMThe previous NX leaks on the designs were pretty much spot on.
The other major leak was that it had no optical drive and looks like that is correct too, in the video it looks like the games are on SD card style game cartridges.
IMG

Gentlegamer

Quote from: Otaking on 10/20/2016, 12:59 PMWhat price do peeps here think it will launch at?
Nintendo is using Nvidia hardware, I don't expect it to be cheap. Unless Nintendo sent yakuza to demand a sweetheart deal.
IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

bartre

The multiplayer using the breakaway nubs seems awkward.
I mean, the sides are asymmetrical. That's bound to be weird unless you exclusively use 1 of the controllers.
also, how much of a pain in the ass will it be to replace the different pieces?
It is nintendo after all, kids are gonna fuck that shit up.

big plus, no mention that I saw of shitty motion controls.

Dicer

_Paul

I feel a distinct lack of any emotion after this reveal. This excites me about as much as Apple launching a new iPhone.

Otaking

sirhcman

jtucci31

Quote from: guest on 10/20/2016, 03:49 PM
Quote from: Otaking on 10/20/2016, 12:59 PMWhat price do peeps here think it will launch at?
$349.99
If this can stay at $300 I'll be sold, granted there's a decent launch lineup of games. $350 doesn't seem all thaaaaaaat steep either. I want more information!!!

BigusSchmuck

Quote from: guest on 10/20/2016, 04:15 PM
Quote from: guest on 10/20/2016, 03:49 PM
$349.99
If this can stay at $300 I'll be sold, granted there's a decent launch lineup of games. $350 doesn't seem all thaaaaaaat steep either. I want more information!!!
Kinda doubt it will be more than $400. At that price point you might as well buy a Ps4 pro or Xbox Scorpio (assuming its going to be $400).

munchiaz

Feel like this is what the wii U should have been in the first place. I'm interested. Hope they release more information soon rather than later

Otaking

Earlier I played the Switch reveal video to my my daughters who are 7 & 9 and are Nintendo crazy and they could barely make it to the end of the 3 minute video, they just didn't care.
Maybe that's beacuse the video marketing was targeting young adults and Nintendo's demographic for it's last previous consoles has been kids or famlies with kids.