@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

What's the difference between original Spriggan and PCE works spriggan?

Started by soop, 01/27/2018, 01:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

soop

So the fucker has done it again and bootlegged another classic game.  Are there any marks on the box or disc to signify that it's a bootleg?  People on ebay are trying to sell the bootlegs for the same price as the original.
Quote from: esteban on 04/26/2018, 04:44 PMSHUTTLECOCK OR SHUFFLE OFF!

Gypsy

CrackTiger

I'm pretty sure that he did Spriggan a year or two ago. Most of the newer bootlegs are supposed to have a PCEWorks logo in a few spots, although the logo was designed to look like part of the original design to people who don't know any better.

Sapphire is still logo free and each new revision tries to eliminate the ways to spot them as fake.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

soop

Quote from: guest on 01/27/2018, 02:09 PMI'm pretty sure that he did Spriggan a year or two ago. Most of the newer bootlegs are supposed to have a PCEWorks logo in a few spots, although the logo was designed to look like part of the original design to people who don't know any better.

Sapphire is still logo free and each new revision tries to eliminate the ways to spot them as fake.
Ugh what a turd.  Luckily I have Sapphire already (one of the freebies).  Thanks, I'll have a look at a bootleg spriggan

Keith Courage

I don't see why he even bothered making a repro of spriggan one or two. both of these games usually sell for maybe only a little over the cost of the Repro making it silly to get the Repro instead of just getting the real thing.

most of the other repros he sells makes sense since the original game usually sells for much more and can be very costly to get the real thing.

Gypsy

Quote from: Keith Courage on 01/27/2018, 02:27 PMI don't see why he even bothered making a repo of spriggan one or two. both of these games usually sell for maybe only a little over the cost of the Repro making it silly to get the Repro instead of just getting the real thing.

most of the other repos he sells makes sense since the original game usually sells for much more and can be very costly to get the real thing.
People are stupid and will buy it anyway that's why.

seieienbu

Quote from: guest on 01/27/2018, 02:09 PMI'm pretty sure that he did Spriggan a year or two ago. Most of the newer bootlegs are supposed to have a PCEWorks logo in a few spots, although the logo was designed to look like part of the original design to people who don't know any better.

I don't have a problem with the PCE Works logo looking like it belongs on the disks.  I prefer it even.  I loathe the idea of counterfits where you can't tell the difference.  A while ago I picked up a repro Sapphire and I'm glad to have it.  I would never buy a real copy though for two reasons.  First it's too expensive.  Even at a friendly bro-price I still think that I wouldn't be able to justify the purchase.  But second?  Unless I trust the seller or had the game in front of me in person I would never be sure until I got the game.  I would expect to be scammed at this point.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Koa Zo

Quote from: Keith Courage on 01/27/2018, 02:27 PMI don't see why he even bothered making a repo of spriggan one or two. both of these games usually sell for maybe only a little over the cost of the Repro making it silly to get the Repro instead of just getting the real thing.
I naively thought he must have been secretly working with a team of translators and voice actors and was releasing definitive English versions of Spriggan and Mark II.
When I found out they were just straight bootlegs I was just huh?

NecroPhile

Quote from: CrackTiger on 01/27/2018, 02:09 PMSapphire is still logo free and each new revision tries to eliminate the ways to spot them as fake.
Unless he's doing multiple versions (some marked and some sneaky), Sapphire has had the PCE Works logo on the disc and manual back cover since the box set came out.

Quote from: seieienbu on 01/27/2018, 03:22 PMI don't have a problem with the PCE Works logo looking like it belongs on the disks.  I prefer it even.  I loathe the idea of counterfits where you can't tell the difference.
I too don't mind how the logo looks on the disc and back of manual, but I'd rather he put something on the back of the case as well.  If a game is still sealed it's not so easy to tell if it's a repro or not, though the fact that it's still sealed makes it unlikely it's real.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

CrackTiger

I can't find any detailed pics of products on the PCEWorks site on my phone, but there was a new batch of Sapphires, after that box set came out, that didn't have any PCEWorks branding in any of the pics shown at the time. My memory of it is that it was a listing for the game on its own.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

soop

Sorry, just to add - I took a look at the bootleg Spriggan, and at least the one I saw had the PCEworks logo on the CD by the SuperCD logo. CD-ROM logo.  If it says SuperCD, it's definitely fake

BigusSchmuck

At PRGE last October I had seen a repro of Magical Chase going for $100 and thought to myself, you aren't fooling nobody by doing this. The damn thing didn't even look remotely like the real thing and it was loose.

seieienbu

Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 01/31/2018, 10:05 AMAt PRGE last October I had seen a repro of Magical Chase going for $100 and thought to myself, you aren't fooling nobody by doing this. The damn thing didn't even look remotely like the real thing and it was loose.
I'm perfectly happy with this type of reproduction.  The seller is an asshole, sure.  But at least the intention of the creator (Turbokon?) wasn't to be able to outright trick people
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

CrackTiger

xcrement5x

SignOfZeta

Quote from: Koa Zo on 01/29/2018, 11:43 PM
I naively thought he must have been secretly working with a team of translators and voice actors and was releasing definitive English versions of Spriggan and Mark II.
When I found out they were just straight bootlegs I was just huh?
You gamer kids need to learn what a retail release looks like. Not just physically, but in concept. And not just games, like...anything. It should take no time at all to authenticate. Things that are real generally look very real because real rights holders do all sorts of things to make the thing look real. Being born after Napster really does seem to have eroded a skill once common in the 1st world. It's like we're all living in India or The Philippines or someplace where they litterally are as ignorant of copyright as they are of the NFL. "They're real if I can touch 'em!" seems like the current level of understanding.

I'm not aware of any for-profit transitions being sold as illegal re-releases except for when the translation is just jacked from a community effort (like this guy). Maybe someone can name some who didn't, I've never seen any. I'm not aware of any official PCE games released since Dead of the Brain 1&2 almost 20 years ago. Therefore, when I see a "new" PCE game it's boot. It's always always boot. You don't have to look close at it or anything. No thought is required. If it's a Japanese game in English it isn't "real".  If he has a game that was never released, it's fake. If it's a fan port, it's fake. If it comes with non-expired food, it's fake. If it has Optimus Prime fucking Wonder Woman on the cover, it's fake. If it's on the PCE Works site, it's fake.

For some reason when people see his stuff they say, "Wow, I can't believe I'm able to afford this, it hardly seems real!" when it should be "That's the fakest looking shit I've ever seen."

Exceptions:

At some point the rights for Klax or something will pop up for sale cheap and he'll finally have his first semi-legit releases. The noobs of that future time will be even more confused and I'm already pissed off about it.

The previously mentioned Sapphire. Mine was from that "I don't know if they are real or not era" and cost $38 and he made every effort to pass it off as legit. It sounds like he "found more" of those.
IMG

MNKyDeth

Quote from: guest on 02/06/2018, 06:20 PMCan anyone spot any PCEWorks logos on the bootleg Drac X?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sealed-Castlevania-Rondo-Of-Blood-Dracula-X-for-PC-Engine-Turbografx-Turbo-DUO/183059497282?hash=item2a9f324142:g:ImEAAOSwKXdadIbv
Yeah, pretty shitty. The way to tell is by looking at the center of the disc. It's not like the originals. Eventually you'll have to tell them apart by looking for the code number in the center of the disc like with saphire to tell if it's a real version or not.

Arkhan Asylum

Real Spriggan is cool

Fake Spriggan is for cunts.

thats the difference.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

NecroPhile

Quote from: CrackTiger on 02/06/2018, 06:20 PMCan anyone spot any PCEWorks logos on the bootleg Drac X?
It's hard to tell with the manual covering the bottom area.  Instead of "KONAMI" it should have a PCE Works logo next to a Konami Wave logo, but this looks like neither (a rectangle?).

I wouldn't be surprised if the pce works logos are in the usual places but the scumbag reseller has intentionally concealed the disc area and not shown the back of the manual to keep people from knowing where they came from.  If they google pce works, they might find out that they can buy it direct for less than half and he'll lose the chance to gouge.

CrackTiger

That seller's entire business is flipping PCEWorks products and they don't hide the logos in their other listings.

They advertise the bootleg M&MIII as "rare" and "out of print".

ClodBusted

I just reported all of his PCE listings as videogame bootlegs.

For the love of it.

NecroPhile

Quote from: CrackTiger on 02/07/2018, 11:47 AMThat seller's entire business is flipping PCEWorks products and they don't hide the logos in their other listings.
I just looked and they completely or partially cover the disc logo and leave out the manual back cover in more than half of their listings.

That particular seller's motives aside, I can't say that listing is proof that Tobias is selling unmarked booties.  The areas known to be marked aren't shown.