Mysterious Song is now released

Started by OldRover, 08/26/2012, 11:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keranu

Quote from: guest on 09/02/2012, 08:59 PMI've put a few hours into it over the past couple of days and have been having a blast!  Started climbing Darm, er, Tower of the Gods earlier this evening.  REALLY great work, guys!  I'm so glad you toughed it out and got this released. :D
Feels great hearing other people's enthusiasm for our product, thank you! And believe me, the game only gets better too ;) .

Also, did you like your signed instruction manual? :D
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

roflmao

Quote from: Keranu on 09/02/2012, 09:55 PMFeels great hearing other people's enthusiasm for our product, thank you! And believe me, the game only gets better too ;) .

Also, did you like your signed instruction manual? :D
I did!  It made me lol.  It's a miracle this made the light of day considering how long you guys have been at it.

It's going to be a personal mission of mine to get the rest of the Frozen Utopia (FU for short, lol) gang to sign it as well.  Thanks again!

Bernie

Damnit!   I want mine signed too!  :(

Duo_R

Yeah I want mine numbered as #101, signed and a death threat against selling on eBay!
Add my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/sOg93QUtlg0
For sale trade list: https://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

Mathius

Quote from: Bernie on 09/02/2012, 11:20 PMDamnit!   I want mine signed too!  :(
If I can drag Keranu to Octurbofest I could get him to sign it for you, Bernie. :)

Bloody Wolf

Wish I could buy this, so broke right now....

PCEngineHell

Quote from: esteban on 09/02/2012, 06:14 PM
Quote from: guest on 09/02/2012, 05:41 PM
Quote from: esteban on 09/02/2012, 05:21 PMCD+G is where it's at for all audio releases, IMHO.
Certainly for Turbo-related audio, but if I had my way, records would all be released on dual discs with DVD content. As much as I love obsolete technology (CD+G's), there's nothing like listening to Bruce Springsteen or Nick cave in surround sound with the lyrics right there on the screen and maybe an interview elsewhere on the disc.

Unfortunately, none of these formats seem to catch on - CD+G, Enhanced, Dual Disc, etc. Apparently the average listener prefers blowing their eardrums out with MP3's on earbuds.
I know. Even folks with handheld, portable devices (be it Phone or dedicated handheld) think that headphones/earbuds are their only choice for decent sound.

Of course, this isnt their only choice:

IMG
https://junk.tg-16.com/audio/Cyber_Core/Title_Screen.mp3
Gymkata lol. Fucking great movie.

esteban

Quote from: PCEngineHell on 09/03/2012, 02:31 AM
Quote from: esteban on 09/02/2012, 06:14 PM
Quote from: guest on 09/02/2012, 05:41 PM
Quote from: esteban on 09/02/2012, 05:21 PMCD+G is where it's at for all audio releases, IMHO.
Certainly for Turbo-related audio, but if I had my way, records would all be released on dual discs with DVD content. As much as I love obsolete technology (CD+G's), there's nothing like listening to Bruce Springsteen or Nick cave in surround sound with the lyrics right there on the screen and maybe an interview elsewhere on the disc.

Unfortunately, none of these formats seem to catch on - CD+G, Enhanced, Dual Disc, etc. Apparently the average listener prefers blowing their eardrums out with MP3's on earbuds.
I know. Even folks with handheld, portable devices (be it Phone or dedicated handheld) think that headphones/earbuds are their only choice for decent sound.

Of course, this isnt their only choice:

IMG
https://junk.tg-16.com/audio/Cyber_Core/Title_Screen.mp3
Gymkata lol. Fucking great movie.
Absolutely :pcgs:.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Deletion

Ordered a copy today. If only I had done it earlier then I could have spent this entire lazy Labor Day playing it.

VestCunt

Any news on when the bonus items are expected? I'd like to hold out and get everything at once, but my willpower is breaking down.
Topic Adjourned.

Bardoly

Quote from: Deletion on 09/04/2012, 12:24 AMOrdered a copy today. If only I had done it earlier then I could have spent this entire lazy Labor Day playing it.
Yep.  That's what procrastination gets you.  :)

Arkhan Asylum

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

OldRover

Quote from: guest on 09/04/2012, 03:45 PMAny news on when the bonus items are expected? I'd like to hold out and get everything at once, but my willpower is breaking down.
In about a week.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

hoobs88

Quote from: guest on 09/04/2012, 03:45 PMAny news on when the bonus items are expected? I'd like to hold out and get everything at once, but my willpower is breaking down.
It's "cruel and unusual punishment" that the one's who ordered first have the longest wait while people who placed their order last week already have it. I have next week off from work for 'staycation' so I hope it arrives then when I'll have plenty of time for OBEY.
1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase
Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0
League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns

Keranu

Quote from: guest on 09/04/2012, 04:08 PMhas mine shipped yet, lol
I had your order marked on hold until the bonus items arrive. If you want it shipped as is, let me know.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

Oh.  I thought we decided to just fire it at me since the boner items were coming from a different location?

I don't remember.  It was like 2am.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

OldRover

Quote from: hoobs88 on 09/04/2012, 05:21 PMIt's "cruel and unusual punishment" that the one's who ordered first have the longest wait while people who placed their order last week already have it. I have next week off from work for 'staycation' so I hope it arrives then when I'll have plenty of time for OBEY.
This is why I was keeping the arrival a secret until the bonus items were ready, but someone squealed early so we had no choice but to spill the beans.
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Bernie

CrackTiger

Quote from: hoobs88 on 09/04/2012, 05:21 PM
Quote from: VestCunt on 09/04/2012, 03:45 PMAny news on when the bonus items are expected? I'd like to hold out and get everything at once, but my willpower is breaking down.
It's "cruel and unusual punishment" that the one's who ordered first have the longest wait while people who placed their order last week already have it. I have next week off from work for 'staycation' so I hope it arrives then when I'll have plenty of time for OBEY.
See the first post of this thread. The ones who ordered first have no longer of a wait than anyone else, unless they choose to. They do however, get the bonus set that people who only heard of this game last week missed out on completely.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

NecroPhile

Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

hoobs88

Quote from: guest on 09/04/2012, 07:25 PM
See the first post of this thread. The ones who ordered first have no longer of a wait than anyone else, unless they choose to. They do however, get the bonus set that people who only heard of this game last week missed out on completely.
I know that. I just meant that my willpower was breaking down too.
1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase
Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0
League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns

CrackTiger

Quote from: hoobs88 on 09/05/2012, 10:14 AM
Quote from: CrackTiger on 09/04/2012, 07:25 PM
Quote from: VestCunt on 09/04/2012, 03:45 PMAny news on when the bonus items are expected? I'd like to hold out and get everything at once, but my willpower is breaking down.
I know that. I just meant that my willpower was breaking down too.
It's okay to get the game sooner than the extras. :P You should play through the game before experiencing them anyway. :)
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

shubibiman

Got my copy yesterday. Started playing, great job we have here. I didn't have time to go far but looks good up till now.
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

Keranu

Quote from: shubibiman on 09/05/2012, 01:37 PMGot my copy yesterday. Started playing, great job we have here. I didn't have time to go far but looks good up till now.
Glad to hear it arrived safely and to your liking! :D
IMG

PikachuWarrior

Why didn't the copies come sealed? That was why I ordered it in the first place. There's also a huge crack on the front case. Contrary to popular belief, not everyone is out to resell in the future, but it would have been a nice gesture if it was 'sealed'. Would have ordered two copies.
IMG

Mathius

Quote from: PikachuWarrior on 09/05/2012, 11:44 PMWhy didn't the copies come sealed? That was why I ordered it in the first place. There's also a huge crack on the front case. Contrary to popular belief, not everyone is out to resell in the future, but it would have been a nice gesture if it was 'sealed'. Would have ordered two copies.
I believe the community voted "no seals". It was in the other thread.

PikachuWarrior

Oh okay, just wondering. I thought maybe it was easier to manufacture without having to worry about that sort of thing.
IMG

ParanoiaDragon

I think we're mainly trying to avoid any price gouging in the future, so everyone gets it unsealed, & no one can come along some day on ebay & say RARE NEW SEALED Mysterious Song TurboGrafx-CD WOW! etc. etc. etc.  Cuz anyone in the know, will know it was never sealed to begin with.
IMG

Keranu

Quote from: PikachuWarrior on 09/05/2012, 11:44 PMWhy didn't the copies come sealed? That was why I ordered it in the first place. There's also a huge crack on the front case. Contrary to popular belief, not everyone is out to resell in the future, but it would have been a nice gesture if it was 'sealed'. Would have ordered two copies.
There's a huge crack on your copy? PM me your address and I'll send you a new one ASAP. I've been examining all the copies before shipping them to make sure they're in pristine condition, your copy must've received damage during shipping. I've switched to smaller, more padded envelopes now too to ensure safety.
IMG

Bloody Wolf

It would have been sick to get a sealed game but would hate to see the suckas throw it on the evil bay....

Arkhan Asylum

Next game we release, I'll wrap them all in saran wrap and tape.

Is that good enough?

:)

Mishran

Sealed games be damned, open and play the bastards! People nowadays... :roll:

NecroPhile

Why waste $50 on shrink wrap that's just gonna get ripped off and shit canned anyway?  Mother Earth, Byron's crew, and I are glad it was skipped.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Arkhan Asylum

LOL.

I will get pyramid plunder pressed and sealed

and rip all the seals on them before shipping.

YEAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

_Paul

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 09/06/2012, 11:27 AMLOL.

I will get pyramid plunder pressed and sealed

and rip all the seals on them before shipping.

YEAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!
Have the fronts etched to make them look like shop-bought CD-Rs.

SignOfZeta

Quote from: PikachuWarrior on 09/05/2012, 11:44 PMWhy didn't the copies come sealed? That was why I ordered it in the first place.
Oh fucking hell.
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Keranu on 09/06/2012, 12:54 AM
There's a huge crack on your copy? PM me your address and I'll send you a new one ASAP. I've been examining all the copies before shipping them to make sure they're in pristine condition, your copy must've received damage during shipping. I've switched to smaller, more padded envelopes now too to ensure safety.
This is why I use priority flat rate boxes + bubblewrap.

The envelopes, while padded, don't do dick against weight related cracking unless you pad it to some idiotic thickness..

If you wrap your fist in bubblewrap and push down on a jewelcase, you can still cause stress cracks.

Rigid cardboard prevents this jive.

Sure it costs a bit more to ship, but hey, fuck it. It's worth it! 

Keranu

I bought some bubble wrap yesterday that I've been using. I think the new bubble mailers I bought should do just fine by themselves, the other envelopes I was using had too much extra space in them; I originally planned on using them for the pre-orders so there was enough room to hold the game + DVD case.
IMG

jlued686

Quote from: PikachuWarrior on 09/05/2012, 11:44 PMWhy didn't the copies come sealed? That was why I ordered it in the first place.
Really? I ordered mine so I would have a cool new game to play on my TurboDuo and to support the great cause of Turbo home-brew.

But hey, maybe that's just me.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Keranu on 09/06/2012, 05:00 PMI bought some bubble wrap yesterday that I've been using. I think the new bubble mailers I bought should do just fine by themselves, the other envelopes I was using had too much extra space in them; I originally planned on using them for the pre-orders so there was enough room to hold the game + DVD case.
There are those little brown bubble mailers from scotch/ducttape, etc

They work alright, but I still don't trust that shit.

Boxes + Bubblewrap.  I love boxes.   Plus, the boxes are free as fuck!

Keranu

I'll be picking up some of the free boxes at the post office too. They don't carry the padded envelopes there anyways.
IMG

VestCunt

Quote from: Keranu on 09/06/2012, 12:54 AM
Keranu, I admire your professionalism, but Storino in no way deserves a replacement. Cracked jewel cases are a fact of life. Paper envelopes, padded envelopes, bubble mailers, or boxes, it doesn't matter; I've pulled cracked cases out of every conceivable package. From slobs on ebay, to corporations like Amazon and CDbaby, to meticulous record collectors on Gemm.com, humanity simply has yet to invent a foolproof shipping method for jewel cases. (The best cost/safety compromise I've found is to just use a bubble mailer, but put a little square of bubblewrap inside the jewel case to distribute pressure, between the disc and the cover.)

Also, it's not like a cracked jewel case is in anyway a hardship. Reasonable people don't care. If they do, modern cases are easily swapped and can be purchased for pennies. Sometimes it's difficult to find a perfectly-fitting cover for old Turbochip cases, but Myserious Song uses a modern case.

Finally, Storino's whining guilt trip doesn't even make sense:
1) he ordered the game because he thought it was sealed,
2) he's pissed that it wasn't sealed,
3) if it had been sealed he would have ordered two... even though he only ordered one back when he thought it was sealed.

What a fucking pussy. I doubt he was even planning to open and play the game.
Topic Adjourned.

Keranu

The only thing I'm not satisfied about MSR's packaging is the jewel case. From first glance they look like a real Turbo game, but there's definitely a quality loss in the cases Nationwide Disc uses. They feel thinner and cheaper, even more prone to breaking than the thicker ones used back in the 80's and 90's. I plan on swapping the inserts from my own personal copy into a better case. It's not a huge deal, just a little nitpick I have.

As far as Storino, I can understand wanting to have a sealed copy; it would feel great to tear open a fresh, new Turbo game like the old days. But as everyone's said, it's not worth the extra production cost to have eBay scammers to spike the cost of our game and rig the market, as they're so eager to do!
IMG

CrackTiger

I plan on swapping out the cheap NWD cases of a couple copies into real Turbo and PCE cases and storing them along side my segregated Turbo and PCE games.

I suggest to anyone who wants a quality unbroken case (which will remain uncracked) to buy a cdr or cheap CD that comes with a nice case and swap it out for the cheap ones that MS comes with. The cheap case is the only part of the game that doesn't reflect any of the work we put into the game.

jperryss

Quote from: Keranu on 09/06/2012, 06:48 PMAs far as Storino, I can understand wanting to have a sealed copy; it would feel great to tear open a fresh, new Turbo game like the old days. But as everyone's said, it's not worth the extra production cost to have eBay scammers to spike the cost of our game and rig the market, as they're so eager to do!
Pretty much this. I will order once I'm no longer broke, and not being sealed has no bearing on that decision. But yes, there is something satisfying about liberating a brand new game from its cellophane wrapping.

CrackTiger

Quote from: jperryss on 09/06/2012, 07:07 PM
Quote from: Keranu on 09/06/2012, 06:48 PMAs far as Storino, I can understand wanting to have a sealed copy; it would feel great to tear open a fresh, new Turbo game like the old days. But as everyone's said, it's not worth the extra production cost to have eBay scammers to spike the cost of our game and rig the market, as they're so eager to do!
Pretty much this. I will order once I'm no longer broke, and not being sealed has no bearing on that decision. But yes, there is something satisfying about liberating a brand new game from its cellophane wrapping.
I would have loved to have had it factory sealed... so I could tear it open. I have a stack of sealed Turbo and PCE games that I am waiting to open until I have the time to immediately play through them afterward. It is a big deal for me, just as I stare at the Now Loading screen of new CD games without blinking to fully take a the game for the first time. But I totally get the reasons for getting them un-sealed.

However, gougers, collectors, etc will still have their kind of fun with it anyway. All that the lack of cellophane means, is that any loose copy can be professionally graded, as they are as they come new. There are likely multiple copies already sent to the VGA.

EDIT:

Quote from: PikachuWarrior on 06/28/2012, 09:23 AM
Quote from: Arm on 06/28/2012, 07:31 AMFor those who could be interested, the Pier Solar Definitive Original Soundtrack (including the MCD disc) is now available.
Someone has made a video on youtube :
Nice, I preordered 3 copies. One to keep sealed, one to open, and one to resell.
I guess an apology is in order, as the reasons behind the decision to not have the games sealed was in fact directed at people like storino03. On the bright side, at least it is an actual game that can be played for only the price of a single copy of a game soundtrack.

SignOfZeta

IMG

Mathius

I would hate to see MSR share the same fate with first runs of Pier Solar. I haven't looked on eBay lately but the last copy I saw was at MGC and it was listed at $240. I still have my first run copy, but I don't look at it and see dollar signs. I look at as a piece of Mega Drive history and a great game to boot. I guess it would be optimistic to think that the PC Engine community would be immune to such shenanigans, but at least the shrinkwrap decision will cool the fire some.

OldRover

We took several steps to prevent price gouging of MSR... seems to be working thus far. :)

PikachuWarrior

Quote from: guest on 09/06/2012, 07:48 PM
Quote from: jperryss on 09/06/2012, 07:07 PM
I would have loved to have had it factory sealed... so I could tear it open. I have a stack of sealed Turbo and PCE games that I am waiting to open until I have the time to immediately play through them afterward. It is a big deal for me, just as I stare at the Now Loading screen of new CD games without blinking to fully take a the game for the first time. But I totally get the reasons for getting them un-sealed.

However, gougers, collectors, etc will still have their kind of fun with it anyway. All that the lack of cellophane means, is that any loose copy can be professionally graded, as they are as they come new. There are likely multiple copies already sent to the VGA.

EDIT:

Quote from: PikachuWarrior on 06/28/2012, 09:23 AM
Quote from: Arm on 06/28/2012, 07:31 AMFor those who could be interested, the Pier Solar Definitive Original Soundtrack (including the MCD disc) is now available.
Someone has made a video on youtube :
Nice, I preordered 3 copies. One to keep sealed, one to open, and one to resell.
I guess an apology is in order, as the reasons behind the decision to not have the games sealed was in fact directed at people like storino03. On the bright side, at least it is an actual game that can be played for only the price of a single copy of a game soundtrack.
Actually, I was being sarcastic about Pier Solar and having three copies. I only purchased one of the reprint edition. Didn't even know about it until this past January. I haven't opened it, but I do plan on buying a play copy sometime when it's not as expensive (for a new one on their website).

Also, if you want, you can check my ebay account (storino03). I don't resell games that I keep sealed or find in the wild (used). Unless it wasn't my liking when I tried it out, but that is super rare. It usually ends up going to the collection.
IMG