@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Turbo CD-Rom2 unit making strange noise

Started by turbokon, 07/27/2014, 12:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

turbokon

Here is a new one on me.  I have this cd-rom2 unit that is making strange noise, which sounds like dial-up, during loading.  It has new gears and a few caps replaced.  CD games seems to work fine other then the noise between loads. Any ideas?
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

Keith Courage

It's a resister in the middle of the motherboard. Check on the underside of the screw that holds the board down. Sometimes this resister can get smashed/cracked during shipment.  I've encountered this 4 times now myself.

Usually it's the one I circled in this pic:
TGCDCap-Chart2.jpg

Bernie

turbokon

Quote from: Bernie on 07/27/2014, 10:10 AMIs this the one you got from me?
Yessir it is :)

Keithcourage, you hit the nail right on the head.  Resistor 168 was damaged.  It was a 10k ohm resister.  Replaced it and it fixed the problem.

FixR168-CDUnit.jpg

www.tg16pcemods.com

Ninja16608

I said it before and I'll say it again KC you are the man, just by listening to it you knew what the problem was ahhahaha love this place!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Glad to hear ya got it taken care of Turbokon.

NightWolve

Huh, interesting, the resistor is the most reliable electrical component too, it's the last thing that'd you look for in troubleshooting. That it's in a bad spot or something and physically gets smashed/banged makes sense as to why you're seeing early failure. Good to know about then, so 10 KOhms at location R168. Yeah, this is the first troubleshooting thread I've ever seen here pointing to a resistor, as far as I can remember at least.

turbokon

Quote from: NightWolve on 07/28/2014, 02:21 AMHuh, interesting, the resistor is the most reliable electrical component too, it's the last thing that'd you look for in troubleshooting. That it's in a bad spot or something and physically gets smashed/banged makes sense as to why you're seeing early failure. Good to know about then, so 10 KOhms at location R168. Yeah, this is the first troubleshooting thread I've ever seen here pointing to a resistor, as far as I can remember at least.
Actually this is the second unit I worked on that was caused by a bad or missing resistor.  I worked on a duo a couple of years ago with memory save issues.  Come to found out its memory save chip had an open circuit due to a missing resistor.

www.tg16pcemods.com

Ninja16608

Quote from: NightWolve on 07/28/2014, 02:21 AMHuh, interesting, the resistor is the most reliable electrical component too, it's the last thing that'd you look for in troubleshooting. That it's in a bad spot or something and physically gets smashed/banged makes sense as to why you're seeing early failure. Good to know about then, so 10 KOhms at location R168. Yeah, this is the first troubleshooting thread I've ever seen here pointing to a resistor, as far as I can remember at least.
Yeah It is very rare to hear about a resistor in any device lol. I guess when the screw crushes it, it takes a toll. Seems to me like NEC didn't think that one through or no one caught it.

turbokon

Come to think of it, my LT that I just recapped had cap leakages affecting a couple of resistors.  I couldn't get any power to the LCD after recapping.  After removing those resistors and cleaning underneath them, LCD fired right up.

I've also came across a few GT/TE where the small smd resistors (I think sizes 0405) by hu6280 that got damaged by whomever tried to recapped them before me.  These resistors affected the on board controller function.

www.tg16pcemods.com

Marll

I've had this issue (though not as horrible sounding as that vid) since day 1 with my CD when I got it in 91. I thought this was just the way they sounded.

Had a buddy buy another CD off of craigslist a couple years ago and it was silent, it was WEIRD to hear that...almost wrong  :lol:

I think that I'll probably fix it though since it's not supposed to be like that when I start doing a few more mods to my system.
Rabid Turbo fan since 1989!
Happy F@ck eBay member since 2010

Marll

So, those that have repaired this issue before, is there any reason that you specifically need to use a surface mount resistor? I was planning on doing this soon, but could only find some really small 10k ohm through hole type resistors. any reason the leads couldn't be cut short, laid flat and soldered to the pads?

turbokon

Quote from: Marll on 11/12/2014, 03:51 PMSo, those that have repaired this issue before, is there any reason that you specifically need to use a surface mount resistor? I was planning on doing this soon, but could only find some really small 10k ohm through hole type resistors. any reason the leads couldn't be cut short, laid flat and soldered to the pads?
It will be ok to use the leaded resistor as long as you have enough room to solder the leads to the pads.

www.tg16pcemods.com

Marll

Cool thanks, I figured that was the case, now just need to open up the unit to see if that's the case.

If not, where is it that most of you guys are ordering your parts for these types of repairs?

Keith Courage

Most of time with surface mount resisters I end up taken them off of other older CD drives or other dead video game systems instead of ordering new. Sorry, that doesn't help you out with where to order from.

crans

i use mouser or digikey but price is not great if you just need one of something.

Fidde_se

Tayda is great, they're like HongKong based but ships out extremely fast, takes 6 days usually so I would guess the same for the US, they only have 0805 in surface mounted though..

http://www.taydaelectronics.com/resistors/smd-chip-resistors.html
http://www.taydaelectronics.com/capacitors/smd-ceramic-chip-capacitors.html

50pcs with tracked shipping for 1.98$

They have an eBay sore too. but not as many articles.
GW/GB/GBP/GBL/GBC/GBA/GBASP/GBASP2/GBM/DS/DSL/DSiXL/3DS/PM/VB/FC/NES/SNES/N64/GC/Wii/PS/PSONE/PS2/PS2S/
SMS/SMS2/GG/NOM/MD/MD2/MD3/MD1CD/SS/DC/XB/XB360/NGP/NGPC/NGPC2/WS/WSC/CSW/PCEGT/PCE/PCECG1/PCECG2/
PCECD/TG16TE/NGAGE/GIZ/GP32/GP2XF1/GP2XF2/GP2XWIZ/GP2XCAN/DA320/ST520/ST1040/LNX/LNX2/JAG/PORT/CD32/A500/
C64/CDi/VMU/POCKSTN/PSP/PSPCFW/FDS/VSM

thesteve

i order from their ebay store
great parts, quick ship

NightWolve

Keith Courage

They ship out of Louisiana or Kentucky I think. Very fast when in need of something in a hurry. Generally 3 days. Also their website is much cheaper.