PCE covers worth making into framed pictures

Started by Nando, 10/08/2013, 04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nando

The PCE has no lack of awesome covers.

While wildly dreaming about my, some day to be built game room, I started thinking about Obey-centric art and what better art than cover art?

My first couple of runner ups are (in no particular order.)

IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG
Bazar-de-Gozarre-no-Game-de-Gozarre-Japan.jpg

obviously not being familiar with all the games, I'm looking at your PCEFX hive brain to show me some cool cover art, worth printing and framing.

NecroPhile

Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

roflmao

You can actually order the Winds of Thunder cover as a poster from Windy Gaming:
wayback.windygaming.com/collections/posters

They also have Ys Book I & II.  I will be getting those one day. :D

EDIT:  I've always wanted Star Parodier as a poster:
IMG

esteban

The cover art thus far has been BLEH.

HERE IS ALL YOU NEED TO FRAME:

IMG
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Tatsujin

Hahaha, this is pure esty style :lol:

There are sooooll many, it's hard to even start.

The pce sure thing is the king (or queen) of covers too!!
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Digi.k

Ah man that reminds me of all those awesome posters that came with those Japanese PC engine mags.....

These would also make great posters

Bomberman
IMG

Baribari densetsu
IMG

Detana twin bee!?!
Detana!!_TwinBee_-_1992_-_Konami.webp

Splatter house
IMG

Magical chase
IMG

Spring to mind

turboswimbz

NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Gogan

God, I've always loved that huge ship hiding in the clouds on the soldier blade cover. It just looks so...menacing.
Nothin beats the real thing.

JapanTokei

I love the Cadash one. it's just badass!

MotherGunner

-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

Psycho Punch

No love for teh turbo???

I would frame this to put on my gameroom:

IMG

while not in the league of those other covers I still think it's kinda cool.

Quote from: esteban on 10/08/2013, 06:56 PMThe cover art thus far has been BLEH.

IMG
Best. Cover. Ever.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

Digi.k

Wonderboy in monster lair

IMG

Legend of Hero Tonma
IMG

Dragon Saber
IMG

Nando

Quote from: esteban on 10/08/2013, 06:56 PMThe cover art thus far has been BLEH.

IMG
It's pretty pimp and definitely a stand out!

You guys got some great suggestions! Keep 'em coming!

Thank you all.

Otaking

Quote from: Nando on 10/08/2013, 04:36 PMIMG
IMG
Soldier Blade and Winds of Thunder are my two favorite covers.

The artwork to Winds of Thunder is in Masamune Shirow's art book Intron Depot, for years I've been meaning to get a hi-res scan from the art book then blow it up to poster size and get it framed.

I've always thought the art on the back of the case and CD of Exile II Wicked Phenomenon was amazing, would like to own a copy of the game,  I bought and owned it back in the day when it was released.
IMG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86jH2UQmvKY&t=812s
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

Nando

Digi.k

Quote from: Nando on 10/09/2013, 03:11 PM
Quote from: HardcoreOtaku on 10/09/2013, 01:37 PMIMG
THIS!!!

Does anyone know the name of the artist?
it kinda looks like Kia Asamiya who did Detonator Orgun, Silent Mobius and gunhed manga but I'm kinda clutching at straws here being too tired this evening..

IMG

_Paul

PunkCryborg

VestCunt

+1 Sidearms, Soldier Blade and Exile 2 back.

Also:
IMG
IMG
IMG

Topic Adjourned.

Nando

Quote from: PunkCryborg on 10/10/2013, 03:10 PMIMG
These were they types of covers that would draw me to JP games when I was young. You'd never see stuff like that in the US back then.

I love the Diorama like L*Dis cover!

esteban

roflmao

Lol!  I almost posted the same pic, Esty!

majors

All turbo covers are worth framing...and putting in museums! Because they are obey.
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

Nando

How I forgot about this bad boy is beyond me. I almost failed at Obey

IMG

esteban

IMG

Otaking

Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.

Otaking

bob

Some good suggestions, but first come up with a theme. I did something similar to this in my game room with record albums. I put about 16 up that I liked, but no matter how I arranged them, it looked like crap with no common theme. So pick fantasy, or space shooter, or whatever and stay consistent.

Otaking

Quote from: galam on 10/12/2013, 08:13 AMSome good suggestions
The last two I posted were meant to be a joke, they have to be up there with the worst box art of all time.
  :D

esteban

Quote from: HardcoreOtaku on 10/12/2013, 09:21 AM
The last two I posted were meant to be a joke, they have to be up there with the worst box art of all time.
We probably already had this discussion (someone find the old thread(s)!), but NA Dungeon Explorer is best described as banal, boring (I likened it to a print you'd find hanging in a coffee shop or hotel lobby), whereas NA Valis III is completely the opposite: it is BOLD, STRIKING and PUNCHES YOU IN THE FACE with all of the intensity of Hardbodies 2 (oops!) PUMPING IRON II: The Women.

PUMPING IRON II: The Women

For folks who are actually somewhat familiar with Yuko, the Valis series, etc., this NA cover is even more amusing (the hiccups of localization).

Valis III NA, for all its flaws, is actually awesome (for its sincere attempt at intensity & brooding atmosphere, coupled with the unintentional, disturbing Uncanny Valley).

Yes, I am predictable:  I just can't let folks trash-talk the VASTLY MORE INTRIGUING covers (like Valis III NA) whilst they heap praise on TOTALLY GENERIC covers (see this thread!) that are OK (technically), but are so hackneyed and trite that your heart will never, ever be moved by it.

Valis III NA stirs my heart more than a million generic Soldier Blades or ________________ could ever hope to.

Yes, those are fighting words and I love you all. I really do. You are good people.  :pcgs:

Now, forgive me as I find my old Art of Noise albums and do some push-ups.

Update: hahahahahahahahaha. I confused a ladies bodybuilding film with some goofy 80's trash.

Otaking

Quote from: esteban on 10/12/2013, 11:20 AM
Quote from: HardcoreOtaku on 10/12/2013, 09:21 AM
We probably already had this discussion (someone find the old thread(s)!), but NA Dungeon Explorer is best described as banal, boring (I likened it to a print you'd find hanging in a coffee shop or hotel lobby), whereas NA Valis III is completely the opposite: it is BOLD, STRIKING and PUNCHES YOU IN THE FACE with all of the intensity of Hardbodies 2. For folks who are actually somewhat familiar with Yuko, the Valis series, etc., this NA cover is even more amusing (the hiccups of localization).

Valis III NA, for all its flaws, is actually awesome (for its sincere attempt at intensity & brooding atmosphere, coupled with the unintentional, disturbing Uncanny Valley).

Yes, I am predictable:  I just can't let folks trash-talk the VASTLY MORE INTRIGUING covers (like Valis III NA) whilst they heap praise on TOTALLY GENERIC covers (see this thread!) that are OK (technically), but are so hackneyed and trite that your heart will never, ever be moved by it.

Valis III NA stirs my heart more than a million generic Soldier Blades or ________________ could ever hope to.

Yes, those are fighting words and I love you all. I really do. You are good people.  :pcgs:

Now, forgive me as I find my old Art of Noise albums and do some push-ups.
The woman on the Valis III cover looks like a dude in drag.

Brienne_S3.webp

esteban

STATUS: A tranny Sandra Bullock impersonator is my best guess at the inspiration for Valis III...

NEMO: If I recall correctly, Comrade Nemo was always intrigued by the Valis III woman (or was it Bullock he liked? I can't recall.).

Nando

Quote from: galam on 10/12/2013, 08:13 AMSome good suggestions, but first come up with a theme. I did something similar to this in my game room with record albums. I put about 16 up that I liked, but no matter how I arranged them, it looked like crap with no common theme. So pick fantasy, or space shooter, or whatever and stay consistent.
Great! I will keep that in mind. Thank you!

esteban

Quote from: Nando on 10/12/2013, 03:52 PM
Quote from: galam on 10/12/2013, 08:13 AMSome good suggestions, but first come up with a theme. I did something similar to this in my game room with record albums. I put about 16 up that I liked, but no matter how I arranged them, it looked like crap with no common theme. So pick fantasy, or space shooter, or whatever and stay consistent.
Great! I will keep that in mind. Thank you!
Or simply a color palette, where each cover compliments the palette.

esteban