@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Help with wiring switch for region mod

Started by grendelrt, 07/03/2006, 03:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grendelrt

I just got in my switch for the region mod. I understand how the pinouts on the mod work,

pins: 23 -> 15
      22 -> 16
      21 -> 17
      20 -> 19
      --------
      19 -> 20
      17 -> 21
      16 -> 22
      15 -> 23

but I don't get how to wire it to the switch. It has two sides of two rows of contacts. I think you only use one side, they are just different contact types. Could someone help me out with this please =)

It looks like this on one side pretty much

n n n n n n n n n n n n

n n n n n n n n n n n n

IMG
https://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h152/grendelrt/pic.jpg

grendelrt

just found this pic on DLITE's site. I see where he puts the crossovers. Now I am trying to figure out where the pins  starting at 23 go. Any help would be much appreciated :)

IMG
https://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h152/grendelrt/DuoRX3.jpg

termis

Sorry to revive a dead topic, but I'm going through the switch mod right now for all my PCE/Duos... and the mod, though there's a lot of wires, don't seem too difficult.

But I was wondering for those of you that did it how you secured the pushbutton switch to the case.  Though the switch has a thread up on top, it's too fine to use a regular 1/2" nut (coarse or fine) on it, so I was wondering what people used to secure their switch on the case.

The little washer-type thingy that d-lite used in the pic below looks nice, but I don't even know what you'd call that, and where one would be readily available.
IMG
https://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o90/thumpin_termis/PCEDuo1b.jpg

So if anyone's in the know, please let me know!  [-o<

termis

Quote from: thumpin_termis on 12/09/2006, 12:14 AM...and the mod, though there's a lot of wires, don't seem too difficult.
I eat my words.  Thought the concept wasn't too difficult, squeezing all those wires without shorting anything was quite a challenge and damn tedious.  I started with a backup Duo that I had (that was in pretty horrible shape), and I *might* have to write that one off for spare parts later - ugh  ](*,)

But after getting the hang of it, I did manage to get one working for my CoreGrafx II.

IMG
https://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o90/thumpin_termis/DSC01674.jpg

Pretty sweet to have a tiny CoreGrafx play both region cards.

Now if I can only finish my main Duo and SuperGrafx without screwing anything up...

Keranu

Very good, congrats!  =D>

Now can you compare how much it costs you to install this mod to how much D-Lite charges? :D
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

termis

Quote from: Keranu on 12/10/2006, 02:45 AMVery good, congrats!  =D>

Now can you compare how much it costs you to install this mod to how much D-Lite charges? :D
Yeah, he charges actually quite reasonable rates, I must say.  Too bad he's not around these days.

Nevertheless, though I'm no electronic expert, I like to tinker around with these things, so I had a fun time doing it.  And it just gets easier every time you do another one.  :P

grendelrt

This was my first solder job ever. But I have very steady hands hehe. On my Duo, I ended up cutting a notch out of the top cover and glued it down to the bottom where that peice would usually sit and attached the switch into it. That way I can remove the cover whenever I want without having to worry about moving the switch.

termis

Yeah, for the coregrafx, the internals were tight enough as is, so the shell itself is holding the switch steady in the case (the little round divot on the HuCard port is pushing the switch from the other end).  For the duo, I put the switch on around the same place where d-lite put his on the pic above, and for now, some shoe goop is what's holding it there.  Though that works okay, I do like the look of some kind of fastener holding it there in place, + it should be more steady that way.

I haven't done my supergrafx yet - Maybe I'll get around to that next weekend or so.

Home Depot recommended me to try looking at a particular specialty fastener places that sells a wide range of nuts and bolts, so I might drop in there sometime.