RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Some important NEWS about the PC Engine!

Started by Tatsujin, 05/24/2009, 09:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imparanoic

Quote from: esteban on 11/06/2016, 08:24 PM
Quote from: imparanoic on 11/06/2016, 08:19 PMis the TG16 box art so bad, it's famously good  ( like nes megaman)?

too be honest, most western box art ( not just usa, uk designed strider 2 which is not official related to strider series but they did had the licence from  capcom) was bad

Strider2-front.jpg
Hahahhahha. Wow, that's ridiculous art for Strider. :)

I believe that western art is something to be appreciated—it adds another layer to the hobby we love.

:)
nah, i prefer japanese art

on the other hand, from the mid 90's onwards, western company set an example of decent artwork with the help of  design companies such designer republic for wipeout, that's what you called decent minimalistic artwork that would be good in a art gallery

imparanoic

TheClash603

Quote from: imparanoic on 11/06/2016, 08:19 PMis the TG16 box art so bad, it's famously good  ( like nes megaman)?

too be honest, most western box art ( not just usa, uk designed strider 2 which is not official related to strider series but they did had the licence from  capcom) was bad

Strider2-front.jpg

I believe that western art is something to be appreciated—it adds another layer to the hobby we love.

Our boxes used to be manly, just like our men.  The wussification of western society is for real.

esteban

Quote from: imparanoic on 11/06/2016, 11:15 PMmore nasty art work, yes, from birmingham (UK) based us gold

wayback.shortlist.com/tech/gaming/the-50-worst-pieces-of-video-game-box-art
IMG IMG
HOLY SHITE! That Street Basketball game... I can't UNSEE it.

DEAR LORD, help me.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

imparanoic

Quote from: TheClash603 on 11/06/2016, 11:23 PM

Strider2-front.jpg

Our boxes used to be manly, just like our men.  The wussification of western society is for real.
if it was like uk or us made hifi equipment or german classic inspired car mercedes example g class, then an utilitarian look would be fine, but these box art is something a high school student can do much better than these 'supposed' professionals

Digi.k

The animals in the village speak to me

IMG

NightWolve

Thread image patch/recovery: 90% of the lost Image Shack images have been restored! This thread was especially worth the time/effort to preserve, and later submit to WayBack. I also made it sticky/pinned. Not sure if it was or not before.

Appending worthy additions while I'm at it:

Quote from: esteban on 09/01/2017, 11:46 AMIMG

Quote from: FraGMarE on 11/23/2014, 02:22 PMObeyTheNinja.gif

Quote from: synbiosfan on 05/24/2014, 08:15 PMIt's all about the gaming experience! Truly hating a system only limits your own gaming experience...and usually bores the hell out of everyone else.

That being said...
PCEObeyOverNES.jpg

Quote from: ClodBusted on 09/21/2015, 06:42 AMThank you so much!
IMG

Quote from: turboswimbz on 10/02/2013, 09:28 AMhttps://technoviking.ytmnd.com/
ObeyTechnoViking.jpg
https://www.gamerz.be/t/prosternez-vous-devant-le-techno-viking.73391/
I will be looking into this game seems like a fun time, thanks!

Quote from: SkyeWelse on 03/27/2015, 11:28 PM
Quote from: esteban on 03/27/2015, 04:54 PMComrade, I'm sorry. When I re-read my post, it sounded pretty abrasive. Sorry. I was really just venting, I did not mean to direct it at you (100%). Maybe 30% was intended for you, ha!!!
Hey no issues here, I didn't take offense or anything like that, I just wanted to make sure I was clear about what I said since it looked like I might have thrown some people off. I just wanted to explain that I'm a pretty serious Xak fan and collector, and I do not see value in what Tobias has because it's fake. For something like a pressing of Xak III to have real value to me as a hardcore collector, it needs to be from a project that has the original team's blessing...

Hmm, that could make a funny "Obey"picture actually. A Pope or Archbishop giving a pressed PC-Engine disk a sign of benediction / blessing it...

Edit: It shall be done!

obey-sacred-pressing.webp

-Thomas

Quote from: Gredler on 01/22/2018, 02:41 PMIMG

NO TV SPORTS HOCKEY THOUGH??? FOR SHAME!

This one comes from @csgx1 via the sega-16 forums:
Quote from: csgx1 on 09/29/2012, 06:11 PMwth? :?  First of all, probably not too many Subaru owners that also share a passion for the PC Engine.  I love the PCE and Subaru (I own a Impreza) but what kind of Frankenstein idea are you thinking of?  You planning on modding your Forester to look like a PCE?  Instead of the PC Engine Shuttle may be create PC Engine Subaru Grafx where the hucard slot is where the hood scoop is?  lol...
DSC04099aa.jpg
Notes: sega-16 forums is being upgraded; it's been in a state of disrepair for some months, and its gallery attachment image links are broken! They require the domain to be replaced with an IP to retrieve them, others are missing. So the car/pce meme came from csgx1's profile gallery, but you can't use www.sega-16.com to get it, replace it with the IP 169.45.167.69:

https://www.sega-16.com/forum/member.php?27336-csgx1
https://169.45.167.69/forum/member.php?27336-csgx1

Eventually if you browse his profile you can find it:
http://169.45.167.69/forum/album.php?albumid=183&attachmentid=5424
https://169.45.167.69/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5424&d=1348955442

csgx1 shared direct attachment links such as these from that neo-geo.com hellhole too, which was also VBulletin, but after it was upgraded to XenForo, all of them were broken & lost unless Wayback captured some. Also, it's very much possible his meme came from here/PCEFX, but if it was hosted with Image Shack it was long gone. I only ran into from sega-16.

UPDATE: So in thinking about this impending image loss, I searched the forum for "attachmentid" to preserve other images and voila, I found that csgx1 had shared it here right after posting it on sega-16!!! I'll attach the recovered photo in place / overwrite the bad link!

Funny enough, I thought I had seen this meme before, felt a vague memory of it, turns out I HAD: I'm in that thread and reacted when csgx1 posted it! It technically just needs "OBEY" slapped somewhere on it to truly fit in this thread's gallery/purpose.
Quote from: csgx1 on 09/29/2012, 06:11 PMPCECarMemeSource.webp

Sega16-ForumAmbiguousFuture.png

I was just reading Melf - the sega16 owner/admin - to learn what's going on exactly with their forums and it seems he was ready to close down, but settled on archiving/preserving the forum for memory browsing/nostalgia. That's sort of the position I found myself in, was really saddened how it all worked out with Aaron and then his official closure. I felt PCEFX deserved a lot better, it could've been a small-scale Atari/NintedoAge with enough money/management for PCE fans, right place/right time, but the resources/time/money wasn't there; it's not just about bitter/raging psychos/saboteurs, a vulture/parasite faction, that tore the place apart for their own pre-planned agendas (i.e. revenge and for their own PCE groups)!

Be that as it may, I've accepted/realized that the best days of PCEFX are behind it (I enjoy Discord/Twitter a lot more nowadays myself which Melf acknowledges have taken over), and about all I can do is maximize image/photo preservation/archiving since every other case I've seen it's been the most neglected/lost aspect. So, eventually I intend to install a grand marquee, what I'd call the 20-YEAR PCEFX HISTORY randomizer/gallery at the top of forum, after the news block. But first I have to finish recovering as much as I can, a random/ongoing on/off process in the last 2 years, and once I'm satisfied begin working on that feature to showcase it all. Wayback is doing exactly this actually: scrolling a random photo list of captured websites to browse as you would a museum! You gotta show off your best assets, what's left!

I've added an example/demo to show what I want exactly:
BestImageGalleryDemo.webp
That's from macross.fandom.com. So imagine the 20-year PCEFX history of 20,000+ images being displayed/filtered like that at the top of the forum, randomized order every time you refresh, and if you click on one it takes you to the thread/post, etc. It'd be a 20-year walk down memory lane for random OG veterans/visitors. That's what we can do to celebrate/preserve!

But yeah, first I need to finish disabling broken/lost images where there's no hope, and finish repairing the ones that are recoverable, mostly thanks to WayBack, or manual detective work like you saw in this example with expiring Sega-16 links. Melf lost his webmaster and that's part of why he's ready to say good-bye and go archive mode, but I can do my own IT from 25 years ago, so I don't have to pay anyone else, I just need hosting/domain costs, then time/motivation.

turboswimbz

Ahhh, what a blast of turbob from the past! :)  Also, the original Subaru that spawned the talk of some of this is long dead :(.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!