What should have i paid for a Pc Engine duo-rx controller?

Started by unclebugspayton, 12/08/2010, 11:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

unclebugspayton

I could never find a 6 button dou-rx so when i saw it i had to jump on it. It came complete with package and plastic bag also the controller has NO Yellow just pure white and nice purple buttons. I paid $70 dollars is that too much? Thanks

NecroPhile

They are kinda rare, but that's about double what I'd pay for one and quadruple the price of a superior Avenue Pad 6.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

RoyVegas

In before this is moved to the correct section!.   [-X
All is well. :)

Sparky

in before someone tells Roy to stop Junior moding :P

SignOfZeta

Quote from: unclebugspayton on 12/08/2010, 11:25 AMI could never find a 6 button dou-rx so when i saw it i had to jump on it.It came complete with package and plastic bag also the controller has NO Yellow just pure white and nice purple buttons. I paid $70 dollars is that too much? Thanks
Who cares? Its too late now.
IMG

finerion

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 12/08/2010, 04:01 PMWho cares? Its too late now.
Valid point. If you already paid for it and you are comfortable with the price then I say it was worth it. "Worth" and "value" are pretty loose terms when it comes to collecting stuff for a hobby. What might be worth $100 to you might only be worth $20 to me and vice versa.
Check out new episodes of The Alfred Effect.

hoobs88

I've seen the Duo-RX pads go for $40 - $60 but my personal preference on 6 button pads is for the Hori Fighting Commander.

IMG
1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase
Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0
League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns

SignOfZeta

That thing couldn't be more obviously made out of Super Famicom parts...which is a good thing.
IMG

nat

There are exactly zero instances you'd ever need a turbo/rapid fire switch on anything beyond button II.

RoyVegas

Quote from: guest on 12/08/2010, 02:43 PMin before someone tells Roy to stop Junior moding :P
Ty for Jr. modding my Jr. modding. :D
All is well. :)

Duo_R

What about Blanka?

Quote from: nat on 12/08/2010, 09:38 PMThere are exactly zero instances you'd ever need a turbo/rapid fire switch on anything beyond button II.
Add my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/sOg93QUtlg0
For sale trade list: https://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

SignOfZeta

Yeah, Blanka, Honda, and Chun Li all kick major ass with turbo. Its cheating, of course, but it is effective cheating.
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: nat on 12/08/2010, 09:38 PMThere are exactly zero instances you'd ever need a turbo/rapid fire switch on anything beyond button II.
Maybe I can remedy the situation via 6 button defender controls.

woo

anyway, you done paid way the hell too much for that controller.  The DPAD on it sucks mighty bad. 

I got mine for like 10$ or some shit from RisingStuff
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

nat

Quote from: Duo_R on 12/08/2010, 10:18 PMWhat about Blanka?
QuoteYeah, Blanka, Honda, and Chun Li all kick major ass with turbo. Its cheating, of course, but it is effective cheating.

blueraven

Don't pay more than $20 plus shipping. I saw one sell for $16 about a year ago.

OR get an Avenue Pad 6, which is teh most superior 6-button controller. I personally don't like the D-Pad on the Hori.

SignOfZeta

Quote from: nat on 12/09/2010, 07:38 PM
Quote from: Duo_R on 12/08/2010, 10:18 PMWhat about Blanka?
QuoteYeah, Blanka, Honda, and Chun Li all kick major ass with turbo. Its cheating, of course, but it is effective cheating.
So how many instances are there where you're ever need a turbo for anything?
IMG

nat

SignOfZeta

Ehh...I'm not buying it. How many good shooters on PCE don't have autofire by default? I'm sure there are some (R-Type?) but even then...its a test of your might!
IMG

Official Ninja

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 12/10/2010, 03:20 AMEhh...I'm not buying it. How many good shooters on PCE don't have autofire by default? I'm sure there are some (R-Type?) but even then...its a test of your might!
I can't use the tubos in R-type. I find myself fumbling to turn it off when I want to hold the button for a power blast (or whatever you call it).
Its easier with the turbo stick because of the nice like clicky button to turn turbo on and off.

Doesn't everyone play the Bonk games with Turbo on for button II? Everyone I know always has. :)

Tatsujin

Quote from: Official Ninja on 12/10/2010, 09:04 AMwhen I want to hold the button for a power blast (or whatever you call it).
BEAM!
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Damaramu

I just picked up another Avenue pad 6 for $20. I love these controllers!

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Official Ninja on 12/10/2010, 09:04 AM
Quote from: SignOfZeta on 12/10/2010, 03:20 AMEhh...I'm not buying it. How many good shooters on PCE don't have autofire by default? I'm sure there are some (R-Type?) but even then...its a test of your might!
I can't use the tubos in R-type. I find myself fumbling to turn it off when I want to hold the button for a power blast (or whatever you call it).
Its easier with the turbo stick because of the nice like clicky button to turn turbo on and off.

Doesn't everyone play the Bonk games with Turbo on for button II? Everyone I know always has. :)
I love playing with it because it makes the game completely different.  It becomes SEE HOW FAR YOU CAN FLY THROUGH THE LEVEL WITHOUT TOUCHING GROUND.

But, I also play without it if I feel like being normal.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Official Ninja

Quote from: Damaramu on 12/10/2010, 07:48 PMI just picked up another Avenue pad 6 for $20. I love these controllers!
Thats this one right?

IMG

I have the white 6 button controller. I really like it, but the diagonals are harder to hit. I think this is because of the large D-pad.

I really would like ot get one of those Avenue 6 pads!

Damaramu

Quote from: Official Ninja on 12/11/2010, 10:14 AMThats this one right?

IMG

I have the white 6 button controller. I really like it, but the diagonals are harder to hit. I think this is because of the large D-pad.

I really would like ot get one of those Avenue 6 pads!
Yup! I highly recommend them! I also have the white 6 button controller that came with my RX. The diagonals are indeed horrible. I was wondering if there's some mod that can be done to make them a bit more responsive.

Anyway, I picked up the Avenue 6 along with a multitap! Now to wait a few weeks while they make their way here from Japan!

There are a few more up for sale on Ebay, the cheapest one being this NIB for $39, which ain't too bad at all. http://tinyurl.com/2e9xs7f

Arkhan Asylum

The Avenue 6 is the pinnacle of controllers pre-dualshock.

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: blueraven on 12/09/2010, 08:04 PMDon't pay more than $20 plus shipping. I saw one sell for $16 about a year ago.

OR get an Avenue Pad 6, which is teh most superior 6-button controller. I personally don't like the D-Pad on the Hori.
Agreed. The TG/PCE has such a nice and loose (nice and loose), but accurate, D-pad. I have yet to find a better D-pad, from any console generation.
IMG
"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

Arkhan Asylum

It definitely is the nicest D-Pad I have ever diddled around with.

it doesn't hurt the thumbs after a few hours like the NES does.

Its the perfect controller.

Tatsujin

www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

SignOfZeta

Quote from: guest on 12/11/2010, 03:24 PMThe Avenue 6 is the pinnacle of controllers pre-dualshock.
You might as well say the pinnacle of all time then since certainly nothing good as been made post-Dual Shock. And as for that...I don't know. The ASCI SNES pad was fucking great, as was the original Neo Geo AES stick, the Neo Geo CD pad, CP Solider (SNES version only) and the OG Saturn pad. Come to think of it, unless its an actual 6 button game, I prefer the standard PC Engine pad.

Frankly, the Dual Shock never did much for me. It has a solid feel and the analogs are really much nicer than the ones from other companies, but its kind of a cluttered mess. This is more of a problem with the controller spec for PS in general, but 15 years later I still can't remember the difference between "X" and "O" in a hurry. I actually don't have a huge problem with the goofy d-pad, but apparently everyone else does. Its a good controller for Gran Turismo or Metal Gear but not any good at all for fighting or shooters or Pac Man or the kind of stuff I play. In the same way, the Game Cube controller is really good too...for Game Cube native software.
IMG

NecroPhile

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 12/12/2010, 04:53 AMCome to think of it, unless its an actual 6 button game, I prefer the standard PC Engine pad.
Same here.  The d-pad on the Ave-6 makes my thumb sore after a while.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Frank_fjs

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 12/12/2010, 04:53 AMThe ASCI SNES pad was fucking great, as was the original Neo Geo AES stick...
I would have to disagree re the original Neo Geo AES stick. For the most part, I do love it, but I find the button layout awkward and conducive to cramping. I've often wondered why they went with that curved layout, which is not at all how your hand wants to rest naturally. Why not stick to the original arcade layout which was great, after all the AES was supposed to bring the arcade experience to your home, which it did but I can't see why the arcade button layout wasn't included in this.

SNES pads are great. Nice contour, comfortable to hold and 6 main buttons that are all easily accessible. No problems with Dragon Punches at all.

I don't mind Mega Drive pads either, and the strange d-pad on the Saturn controllers is actually very comfortable to use. Sega really stuffed up with the Master System d-pad in my opinion though, that thing is horrible.

One of the worst controllers that comes to mind is the original Xbox controller, the first one that came out before they revised it. It was huge and the buttons were crap. I think that the 4 yellow buttons on an N64 controller are crap too, actually I didn't like much about the N64 controller. Funny how parts of its design have carried across to the Wii (take a look at a Wii nunchuck, look familiar?).

BlueBMW

Ill probably get burnt at the stake for this but I actually really like the N64 controller.  The gamecube wavebird is nice too.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: BlueBMW on 12/13/2010, 11:31 AMIll probably get burnt at the stake for this but I actually really like the N64 controller.  The gamecube wavebird is nice too.
It was my first experience with analogue controls so, at the time, I gave it a pass. However, during the winter I would hate coming in from outside with cold hand and using the analogue stick. The hard plastic and cold thumb just didn't mix (That's what she said.).

I actually didn't mind the ginormous Xbox controller. I certainly welcomed the refined edition, but I personally love the offset analogue sticks on the Xbox controller. The Xbox D-pad, on the other hand, has never appealed to me, but that's the case with most modern consoles. The D-pad just seems to be an afterthought these days. Though I would like to try the new Xbox controller with the alternate D-Pad layouts. Seems like Microsoft has actually listened to customers' complaints. Whether or not it's an improvement is another story.
IMG
"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

SignOfZeta

Quote from: Frank_fjs on 12/13/2010, 10:40 AM
Quote from: SignOfZeta on 12/12/2010, 04:53 AMThe ASCI SNES pad was fucking great, as was the original Neo Geo AES stick...
I would have to disagree re the original Neo Geo AES stick. For the most part, I do love it, but I find the button layout awkward and conducive to cramping. I've often wondered why they went with that curved layout, which is not at all how your hand wants to rest naturally. Why not stick to the original arcade layout which was great, after all the AES was supposed to bring the arcade experience to your home, which it did but I can't see why the arcade button layout wasn't included in this.
You must have your hands on backward, or claws for hands, or something like that. The AES button layout is nearly perfect. Are you trying to use your index finger for A? If so, you're doing in wrong. The thumb goes on A, index B, middle C, ring finger D. Pinky is unused. This is exactly how a normal person's hand will naturally lay if you sit the controller on your lap with your left hand on the stick, and your right hand drawn close. Seriously, just put your relaxed mid-positioned hands out in front of you right now on your keyboard and bring your thumbs together on the space bar. Look at your thumb and first three fingers on your right hand, they describe almost the same arc as the AES button layout.

This is why I duplicated it for my home made stick:

IMG

The arcade layout requires that you cock your wrist/hand to the right to make it vertical unless your arm is straight out, which it won't be unless your left arm/elbow is much more crooked than your left. My only problem with the AES stick is that the buttons are kind of sloppy and loud and have that overly round shape and greasy texture. Other than that...fantastic, and pretty reliable.

QuoteSNES pads are great. Nice contour, comfortable to hold and 6 main buttons that are all easily accessible. No problems with Dragon Punches at all.
The standard SNES pad is pretty nice. After 300 hours the D-pad still works well, which is more than I can say for
MD/Genesis pads which have their d-pads go to shit rather quickly.

I'm specifically talking about the ASCII one. Because of all the room they need for the turbo switches the L and R buttons are at a ~ 15ยบ angle which means you don't have to curl your fingers so much to use them. This makes it a DREAM controller for Super Mario Kart. I wouldn't play fighters on any pad, let alone one where you have to use the shoulder buttons for 6 button games. There is a later ASCII SNES pad just for fighters with L and R on the face. Its not as good of a pad as the original, but at least you don't have to use the shoulder buttons.

QuoteI don't mind Mega Drive pads either
The 6 button is nice, but the 3 button really wears badly. They get so bad that when you want to go down you'll often get down/right down/left diagonals. That used to piss me off so much.

Quoteand the strange d-pad on the Saturn controllers is actually very comfortable to use.
I'm not sure what's strange about it. Both styles, the JP and early US, are pretty normal IMO. The JP one (also later US) is the best D-pad short of the Neo Geo Pocket ever made, and the rest of the controller is pretty ace as well.

QuoteOne of the worst controllers that comes to mind is the original Xbox controller, the first one that came out before they revised it. It was huge and the buttons were crap.
What bothered me was that you had to push the buttons so damned hard to get them to register. Geez, my bones hurt! Same thing with the D-pad. It was almost non-functional unless you had super human strength and invulnerability. It probably would break in nice, but I've never known anyone to actually do that. The OG XBox in general was a complete travesty design-wise in almost every way anyway (ITS SHAPED LIKE A GIANT X AND EVERYTHING IS BLACK AND GREEN! EXTREME!) so I don't care about the controller. Its not like the Dreamcast where everything but the controller is fantastic and the controller is just a piece of junk.
IMG

hoobs88

1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase
Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0
League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns

Frank_fjs

Arkhan Asylum

I use my index, middle, ring and pinky for the AES stick, lol.  I think its comfortable.

Then again, I have lanky fingers and they stretch far.

SignOfZeta

IMG

Duo_R

SignOfZeta

Quote from: Duo_R on 12/14/2010, 01:38 AMzeta i use that box to carry my turbo express
Heh, I use the larger one for my Saturn:

grab.by/7T9e
IMG

Frank_fjs

Where did you get the large aluminium case from, and how much?

SignOfZeta

I got that one from Lowes quite a few years ago, but Harbor Freight has something really similar too. Its probably less than $30, and even cheaper with a coupon.
IMG

Duo_R

TheClash603

My favorite controller of all time is the Sega Saturn model 2 in the US.  Though I have never tried the Avenue Pad.  Anyone know where to get one on the cheap?

SNES shoulder buttons sucked.

AES stick has been confusing for me. My thumb and pinky are useless when playing with a stick, so I have been doing the slide.  I pretty much use only my index and middle fingers.

TR0N

Quote from: Frank_fjs on 12/13/2010, 08:10 PM
Quote from: hoobs88 on 12/13/2010, 04:20 PMNice Custom made stick!  =D&gt;
Mine's better:

IMG
Hmm i've seen custom made joysticks by just useing a whitecastle box,but a shoebox !? That's a new one to me!
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Official Ninja

I cant see how the shoe box could work. 1st fast movement in an opposite direction I'd rip it right out of the box!

blueraven

Quote from: Official Ninja on 12/15/2010, 02:20 PMI cant see how the shoe box could work. 1st fast movement in an opposite direction I'd rip it right out of the box!
It's not made of paper.