Volgarr the Viking

Started by Mzo, 10/02/2013, 02:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mzo

VolgarrHeader.jpg

Has anyone here been playing this game?

Volgarr the Viking is a challenging old-school hack-and-slash platformer that can be described as a mix of Rastan and Ghouls 'n Ghosts.  It's definitely not for everyone, but I can appreciate what they've done here.  I love the way it looks.  The level design so far is fantastic and the controls are solid.  You have unlimited lives but have to restart the level from the respawn crystal every time you die, and the levels are kind of long.  The game is very memorization and execution heavy, so even though your first time will be slow going subsequent runs will go significantly faster.  The enemies are very dependable and nothing seems randomized.  Games like these are right up my alley so I'm loving the learning process.

You also have this cool game mechanic where you can jump onto the spears that you throw and get stuck on walls.  It quickly becomes essential for general traversal and some boss fights.

Started playing this earlier tonight and managed to get past the 2nd boss before taking a break.  Judging by the runes in the hub area there seem to be a lot of stages left... and there are no saves.  Oh, boy.

Volgarr1.jpg
Volgarr2.jpg
Volgarr3.jpg
Volgarr4.jpg
HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
My Backloggery

Tatsujin

Rastan and Ghouls 'n Ghosts are two of my most fave arcade games ever. a mix of both could be a very promising thing if executed well, so i am definitely interested into it, if I had anything to play it on :lol:

judging the videos, it's more of rastan rip off, even uses very similar locs as found in the original game.
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Mzo

It is definitely heavily Rastan inspired.

You come across treasure chests that provide shield, armor, and weapon upgrades which also act as extra hits.  You only get the better power ups if you've held on to the old stuff.  That and the way the double jump works is very Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts.
HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
My Backloggery

turboswimbz

NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Nando

I saw a commercial for this the other night. I've never used Steam before. Looks interesting for sure, but it makes me sad that the PCE lacks in this genre...FOR NOW!!!! Shakes fist.