OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

What do you drive…

Started by Sparky, 05/14/2008, 09:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sparky

Its all about your experience with a car and mine with the 2001 Kia Rio has been great... now a lot of what you say about it zeta is true but the main things under the hood like the motor has never failed me/my wife once, not once!!!!! So the answer was buy a KIA again.

At the time we needed something affordable & since we had just bought a house that piece of shit Rio fit the bill :).
There is a BIG difference in prices between a Honda and a KIA and i like buying new and with that the RIO had 0% financing back then and a solid warranty.

I own a car for life as well Zeta, but we are not keeping the RIO (giving it to my buddy for the city) , main reason we are getting rid of it was the no room factor,
felt like a clown car when the family and animals all piled in & out of it :P

NecroPhile

Quote from: guest on 05/10/2011, 11:03 AMfelt like a clown car when the family and animals all piled in & out of it :P
Uh-huh; truth be told you needed more wine hauling capacity.  :P
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

tggodfrey

I drive an antique Mopar thats owns all your asses.  (at 4 miles to a gallon it owns my ass too :) )

mopar.jpg
mopar2.jpg

I also drive the DSM's, one built one not as well as the chopper.  I collect cars like you guys collect video games

mbike1.webp
mbike2.webp

(I would kill for a 916 Duck but i got in way too much trouble on an R6)
Games currently in play:
PS3: COD Ghosts
TG16: Boxyboy

roflmao

Wow, sounds awesome.  Those are some fun toys.  My next big purchase will likely be a motorcycle.  I recently got my permit and protective gear so I'm ready to ride!

This is Bertha.  She's not my daily driver, but I take her out as often as I can:
IMG

I feel your MPG woes, Terry.  On a good day Bertha gets 8 MPG.  But with a V10 engine that puts out over 450 HP and carries a small house what can you expect. :)

tggodfrey

lmao  Easier to have sex in too!
Games currently in play:

roflmao

True!  But you don't have to worry about low hanging overpasses while driving yours!

Man I wish you could enter the height of your vehicle into the average GPS. :D

tggodfrey

hahahahahaha yeah that would be a useful addition.
Games currently in play:

NecroPhile

Nice Mopar, terry.  Is that a Coronet Super Bee?  What year?

tggodfrey

That is a 69 Bee, Thats a true Bee not a clone.  The give aways are the headlight/grill area and tail lights.  The 68 Bee had more if a "Grid" looking grill IMO.

Its a 383 (not original block) but it is an HP rotating assy (forged crank and rods) with a set of 906 heads welded and ported to MX specs.  lot of other little goodies but she gets up and lets you know who's boss...lol  Still needs a lot of fine tuning ect.

Original 4 speed and 8 3/4 rear end (diff ring/pinion)

Thanks for the kind words.

Terry
Games currently in play:

NecroPhile

Have you had her down the track to see what she runs?  I bet she's a handful, but in a good way.

tggodfrey

NO havent had time.  The track I would have to take it to is either Byron or Great Lakes, which are 1 hour away.  RT66 is close but tech will not let me put her on the track.  (Fuel Line is run in factory location.)

I have done a lot of Engine dyno work and just some street time.

Terry
Games currently in play:

TGX16

Bought this Volvo V70 -00 last year when my old Mitsu Galant V6 -93 went to Cars heaven.
This V70 is a Classic version which means it got all thinkable accessories and the engine is  5 cyl 150hp
IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG

SignOfZeta

IMG

NecroPhile

Volvo.  They're boxy but they're good.

roflmao

Quote from: guest on 05/12/2011, 04:44 PMVolvo.  They're boxy but they're good.
One of my all-time favorite movies.
Sony. Bony.

guyjin

wipers for headlights are about the most useless accessory I've ever seen on a vehicle.

nectarsis

Quote from: guyjin on 05/12/2011, 08:40 PMwipers for headlights are about the most useless accessory I've ever seen on a vehicle.
You obviously don't drive in many blizzards :P
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:
blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436

Sparky

guyjin

Quote from: nectarsis on 05/12/2011, 09:24 PMYou obviously don't drive in many blizzards :P
I drive in plenty of blizzards. I just brush off my own headlights first. Even with a thick coating of snow on the headlights, they still provide a good amount of light.

nectarsis

Quote from: guyjin on 05/12/2011, 09:58 PM
Quote from: nectarsis on 05/12/2011, 09:24 PMYou obviously don't drive in many blizzards :P
I drive in plenty of blizzards. I just brush off my own headlights first. Even with a thick coating of snow on the headlights, they still provide a good amount of light.
I'd have killed to have had em on 8 hour round trips to get my daughter when my headlights were basically worthless. :P
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:
blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436

blueraven

Had foglamps and Wipers on my headlights in my 1990 Mercedes Benz 300E 4-Matic. My last-3-years-in-Wisconsin car.

Was fucking clutch in blizzards. An absolute necessity. I did all my own work on that car.

Heated seats too.

Quote from: nectarsis on 05/12/2011, 09:24 PM
Quote from: guyjin on 05/12/2011, 08:40 PMwipers for headlights are about the most useless accessory I've ever seen on a vehicle.
You obviously don't drive in many blizzards :P
Quoted for truth :mrgreen:

SignOfZeta

Wipers on headlights were a thing for about a minute on medium to high end European cars. As far as I know they no longer exist on new models. Instead they have nozzles than squirt washer solvent on the headlights along with heated lenses which is a much better system. Vastly more reliable, that's for sure.

On the nicer cars the nozzle actually pops out of the bumper cover, squirts, then goes back in. Its pretty cool.
IMG

blueraven

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 05/13/2011, 01:54 AMOn the nicer cars the nozzle actually pops out of the bumper cover, squirts, then goes back in. Its pretty cool.
That is pretty cool :D

Phase

nulls joke thread links to the real what do you drive thread so here it is back from 2011
I'll show  my ride
This picture is pretty old but the only one i found on my ftp, car looks the same though

IMG

fun car, have had it for 8 years? it needs a little work so It doesn't make it out much, use to be my daily driver in the non winter months
I end up driving a beat up civic most of the time.

Sparky

My girl is still on the road... 500,000 km on her now so I think she is broke in :P
I do not see many of her on the road these days. She will be 15 next year :)
That a girl (( tear ))

IMG

esteban

R.I.P. 1996 Red Honda Civic Hatchback :(

IMG

Two weeks ago I had to say goodbye to my old friend.

At least 400,000 miles on that little bastard.

The odometer broke over 10 years ago. But I averaged at least 20,000 miles a year, so....

My poor car...loyal for 20 years...but I did not make any repairs* for the past two years and instead of fixing her up, I opted to purchase my brother's old car (2008 Honda Civic).

His old car = my new car.

* repairs needed on my old car:
New windshield
New exhaust pipe + muffler
Possibly new catalytic converter
New tires
Overheating

Trivia: The old-timers may recognize the 2006 Honda Odyssey. Mandatory vehicle for three kids in suburbia.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

SignOfZeta

These days the Miata mostly sleeps in the garage between track days and club events and whatnot.

IMG

The cat keeps the chipmunks out...

And for work and back every day I now have this fire breathing monster.

Screen Shot 2016-05-12 at 3.28.46 AM.webp

In keeping with tradition every car I've had for the last 20 years has had an engine displacement equal to or smaller than the one before (excluding my girlfriend's 2.0 TDI which gets better economy than anything either of us has owned). I'm now down to 1.5L.
IMG

wildfruit

Current line up

My personal car. 1.8 4 cylinder Vauxhall insignia with 55000 miles

IMGIMG

Wife's company car BMW 1 series 1.5 3cylinder diesel 2500 miles.

IMGIMG

Shitty work Hyundai

IMG

ToyMachine78

Recently upgraded 😃

IMG
IMG

Gredler

IMG
I am fully expecting flames, but man I really have enjoyed this car over the past couple years. So spacious, rides smooth, easy to drive. Makes my 1hr commute fly by, enjoying music and comfortable seats while cruse controlling up and down steep hills with no engine revving, I love it.

wildfruit

Quote from: Gredler on 05/12/2016, 02:01 PMIMG
I am fully expecting flames, but man I really have enjoyed this car over the past couple years. So spacious, rides smooth, easy to drive. Makes my 1hr commute fly by, enjoying music and comfortable seats while cruse controlling up and down steep hills with no engine revving, I love it.
Looks like a ford mondeo. Nothing wrong with that. It's the quintessential mr average car.

SignOfZeta

It's a Taurus. It's just like a Mondeo except it's HUUUUUUUUGE. Absolutely enormous.

Incidenly Taurus sales are down %90 since the 80s and they are canceling the car. Maybe Ford is surprised but I don't see how anyone else could be.
IMG

csgx1

Quote from: esteban on 05/12/2016, 12:29 AMR.I.P. 1996 Red Honda Civic Hatchback :(

Two weeks ago I had to say goodbye to my old friend.

At least 400,000 miles on that little bastard.

The odometer broke over 10 years ago. But I averaged at least 20,000 miles a year, so....

My poor car...loyal for 20 years...but I did not make any repairs* for the past two years and instead of fixing her up, I opted to purchase my brother's old car (2008 Honda Civic).

His old car = my new car.

* repairs needed on my old car:
New windshield
New exhaust pipe + muffler
Possibly new catalytic converter
New tires
Overheating

Trivia: The old-timers may recognize the 2006 Honda Odyssey. Mandatory vehicle for three kids in suburbia.
Honda Civics are great cars and are absolute workhorses.  My wife had a 97 Civic that had 325k miles on it.  It was still going strong until late last year when her little brother (new driver) used it and ended up wrecking it. 
IMG

I drive an older Honda:
IMG

Gredler

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 05/12/2016, 02:59 PMIt's a Taurus. It's just like a Mondeo except it's HUUUUUUUUGE. Absolutely enormous.

Incidenly Taurus sales are down %90 since the 80s and they are canceling the car. Maybe Ford is surprised but I don't see how anyone else could be.
It is a Taurus, and their popularity made this car about 1/2 the cost of the competitor cars that I was looking at. Yeah I was looking for a large car. I have bad knees and am 6"2 pushing 6"3 and wanted to be able to extend my legs completely while cruse controlling on my commute.

When shopping for a car I brought my hockey equipment bag with me to the dealerships, and I put my bag in the trunk of every car I test drove, this is the only one besides the hyundai genesis that my bag spaciously fit into the trunk. If the bag fit, I got in and stretched my legs out completely. Those were my main two criteria for picking a car within a specific budget, and this was the best I could find for that.

For such a big car, I don't notice a huge difference in how it drives compared to my previous car a 2003 Mazda Protoge 5. Right now I am really happy with it, though it's my first american car and I've heard such horrible ford horror stories, I am hopeful that happiness continues without issue.

DeshDildo

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 05/12/2016, 02:59 PMIt's a Taurus. It's just like a Mondeo except it's HUUUUUUUUGE. Absolutely enormous.

Technically, the Taurus died after the 07' model year but when Alan Mulally took over as CEO he immediately brought the name back and slapped it on the refreshed Ford Five Hundred.  Then Taurus rebooted for 10' and freshened in 12' or 13'.  Taurus was selling like gang busters until the current Fusion went on sale but I have never heard that they had plans to discontinue it (again).
"You CAN'T prove Nulltard/DoxPhile caused ANY harm/damage/sabotage to PCEFX!! You have NO evidence he poached ANY members for his own failed PC Engine forum/site or was a conniving destructive saboteur! ZERO, ZIP, NADA!!! Nulltard did nothing wrong!"

Gredler

Quote from: Desh on 05/12/2016, 04:49 PM

Technically, the Taurus died after the 07' model year but when Alan Mulally took over as CEO he immediately brought the name back and slapped it on the refreshed Ford Five Hundred.  Then Taurus rebooted for 10' and freshened in 12' or 13'.  Taurus was selling like gang busters until the current Fusion went on sale but I have never heard that they had plans to discontinue it (again).
Everyone who gets in my car can't believe it's a taurus, I found out about it while test driving a fusion I was considering buying, when I mentioned to the salesman I was looking for something bigger, he showed me the taurus and I was pretty danm amped. I looked at a lot of the mid sized and full size sedans, I needed something with a trunk so that my hockey gear didn't make my car smell like a locker room, so the range of vehicles I was looking at was fairly specific, but I completely ignored the taurus until then. Like I said, not the most amazing eye catching loveable and crazy to drive vehicle, but for my needs I couldn't be happier :)

ginoscope

I drive a 2003 Honda civic 2 door with like 174k and still going strong.  It's been paid off since '08 so no car payment since then has been nice.  It's getting close to the time that I'm considering getting a new car.  Everyone gives me crap for driving such an old car when I could easily get a new one.

SignOfZeta

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Taurus

See the section "sales".

Forty thousand sold per year is a total bomb for Ford. They sold 130,000 Fiesta, 200,000 Focus, 400,000 Fusions, and 780,000 F trucks in 2015.

Soon it will only be available in the US as a cop car, which I guess is good because then cops will be easier to see.

But all is not lost for Hockey fans. The "station wagon" was invented ages ago and will haul all your Hockey stuff with ease. I honestly have no idea how big a Hockey bag is or what it looks like but if it fits in the trunk of a Taurus I'm pretty sure it would fit in my girlfriend's Jetta Sportwagon as well. Most wagons are German these days but there are few random ones out there still. Subaru, Mazda, and some others.
IMG

SignOfZeta

Quote from: ginoscope on 05/12/2016, 05:04 PMI drive a 2003 Honda civic 2 door with like 174k and still going strong.  It's been paid off since '08 so no car payment since then has been nice.  It's getting close to the time that I'm considering getting a new car.  Everyone gives me crap for driving such an old car when I could easily get a new one.
No new Civic is as good as that one. I say keep it.
IMG

Sadler

I finally decided to trade in my GTO for a Chevy SS last October. Yeah, it looks like a Malibu, but I'm actually ok with that. :D It's pretty amazing how much tech has changed in cars in years! A lot of it is cool, but I swear the thing is constantly chiming some alarm or another.

IMG

It has a HUD which I'm convinced is the coolest thing I've ever seen. :D DISCLAIMER: I've never seen a boob, but there's no way it's cooler than this.

IMG

I also had a 2004 Grand Cherokee which was awesome in the snow, but not so awesome in a collision with an F150 in a blizzard. :(

IMG

I'm probably going to have to find another 4WD/AWD for the winter, the SS is a lot of fun to drive, but absolutely terrible in any amount of snow.

Arkhan Asylum

I drive

88 Camry Wagon
86 Corolla 4 Door RetardMobile9000
09 Rav4

I would take pictures but I am lazy.  Go use google.  I'll find pictures later.

Maybe I posted one in here before.

Toyotas rule.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

SignOfZeta

Sadler: 4WD is a scam. Snow tires will make that car %100 awesome in the winter.
IMG

Sadler

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 05/12/2016, 05:26 PMSadler: 4WD is a scam. Snow tires will make that car %100 awesome in the winter.
That would certainly be a helluva lot cheaper. School me on this, do people get a second set of rims for snow tires or just haul in the tires to a shop and have them switch them out for winter/summer? I've lived in CO most of my life, but I've never actually had snow tires.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Sadler on 05/12/2016, 05:30 PM
Quote from: SignOfZeta on 05/12/2016, 05:26 PMSadler: 4WD is a scam. Snow tires will make that car %100 awesome in the winter.
That would certainly be a helluva lot cheaper. School me on this, do people get a second set of rims for snow tires or just haul in the tires to a shop and have them switch them out for winter/summer? I've lived in CO most of my life, but I've never actually had snow tires.
In Ohio, we just use Snow Tires all year round because Cleveland gets snow in fucking May, sometimes June, probably August.

lol.

It depends how cheap you are.  Some people don't want to buy rims/fuck around, so they go to a shop and swap them.

People who know how to work a jack and turn a thing in circles until the tire falls off tend to get another set of rims.  It pays for itself after like, 1 year of swapping?

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

SignOfZeta

Quote from: Sadler on 05/12/2016, 05:30 PM
The most straightforward way of doing this is to go to a place like Tire Rack and just have them mail you mounted and ballenced winter wheels on cheap steelies. It's about a grand or less for most cars.

For my Sportwagon I got Blizzack LMs because my girlfriend doesn't slow down. The 2014 VWs use wheels speed sensor data for TPMS so they are conventional rims with no sensors. It was about $850. I don't know if the SS uses sensors or not. If it does figure another $150-300.

For the Fit I'm actually using a set that was originally for my Miata, the Blizack WS, which is significantly better on truely terrible roads but very soft and kinda overkill for most of the US where roads are extremely well maintained in the winter. This was about $700. Sadly the Fit does need TPMS sensors and obviously the Miata wheels didn't have them so I had the light on all winter and couldn't turn off the traction control.

I would not recommend actually getting the tires remounted every year but that is an option. I tend to avoid ever having another person touch my car stuff so having separate wheels works out a lot better for me since I can swap wheels at home but I don't have any tire equipment. Also, every time you mount a tire you risk damaging the tire or the wheel. Steelies are $40-60 a piece, meaning after a year or two they'll pay for themselves in what they save you in remounting.
IMG

Sadler

Awesome, thanks guys! :D I'll give snow tires a shot this year.

NecroPhile

+1 on getting snowshoes.  I run a set of Blizzaks on steel wheels, and they let me get around just fine in the slick stuff.  As expected, they're pretty crap on wet or dry pavement compared to a summer only tire, and they obviously ain't gonna help if you have deep snow problems and get high centered.  If I had to do it over again, though, I'd have paid a little extra for decent looking alloy wheels.  Do they even make steelies big enough to fit over the big ass brakes on many cars nowadays?

Zeta's prices might work for whatever fits a Fit or Jetta, but expect something closer to $2k for your SS for wheels, tires, and sensors.  Whatever you do, don't remount annually; unless you drive a lot of miles and wear out the tires quickly, you'll end up ruining the bead long before the tread is gone.

Quote from: Sadler on 05/12/2016, 05:18 PMIt has a HUD which I'm convinced is the coolest thing I've ever seen.
My aunt's Buick Regal had that.... in '96.  The more things change, the more they stay the same, eh?

SignOfZeta

GM started doing what with Pontiacs in the late 80s. They have to discontinue it and bring it back once in a while  otherwise nobody would be impressed.

I just checked some prices and yeah, the macho sized tires of the SS make for macho sized tire bills. Well over $200 per tire whereas the 14" Blizack WSs on my Fit were like $80 when I got them, I think about $125 for the 17"s on the VW. You really pay for those big wheels. I can't imagine what a decent set of UHPs must cost.

Steelies are still cheap, and yeah they make them in every size. However, at least currently, they don't offer them at Tire Rack so the cheapest alloys they have are $140 in that size.

So it's $1800 for a package and that's only because Blizzack LMs are on clearance. Fucking A that's expensive. It'll be $1000 for almost anything decent tire-wise with that car without wheels even.

So instead of snow tires, park that fucker, buy a five year old Cobalt and get snow tires for that. It would be cheaper.
IMG

DeshDildo

I have owned a crap ton of cars over the years.  The current driveway features:

My 95' Taurus SHO.  It's the 10th SHO I've owned including parts cars.  It's been great considering I paid $1200 for it about 6 years ago.  Nothing fancy just some suspension mods, bigger brakes and a little exhaust work.

IMG

Recently purchased this 03' Yukon for the wife to drive as the new family hauler.  Was looking for something new but, it was so clean and the price was too good to pass up (I don't like car payments).
IMG

I can't find a picture but also have an 09' Pontiac Vibe GT.  Sold my Impala SS to buy it for the wife when we were expecting our first child.  Since we got the Yukon and I obtained a new job the Vibe has become my daily and it's definitely not my style.  I'm planning to sell it and the SHO soon and look for a clean early to mid 2000's GM W-body with a supercharged 3.8 like my old GTP.

IMG
"You CAN'T prove Nulltard/DoxPhile caused ANY harm/damage/sabotage to PCEFX!! You have NO evidence he poached ANY members for his own failed PC Engine forum/site or was a conniving destructive saboteur! ZERO, ZIP, NADA!!! Nulltard did nothing wrong!"

Gredler

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 05/12/2016, 05:06 PMBut all is not lost for Hockey fans. The "station wagon" was invented ages ago and will haul all your Hockey stuff with ease. I honestly have no idea how big a Hockey bag is or what it looks like but if it fits in the trunk of a Taurus I'm pretty sure it would fit in my girlfriend's Jetta Sportwagon as well. Most wagons are German these days but there are few random ones out there still. Subaru, Mazda, and some others.
You must've glazed over one of my points in picking this car,

Quote from: Gredler on 05/12/2016, 04:59 PMI looked at a lot of the mid sized and full size sedans, I needed something with a trunk so that my hockey gear didn't make my car smell like a locker room, so the range of vehicles I was looking at was fairly specific, but I completely ignored the taurus until then.
Station wagons are great, that's what I had in high school through college until a little under two years ago when I got this car (from a volvo 740L to the mazda protoge 5, which was basically  what is now the mazda 3) But if you don't know what a hockey bag looks like, you sure as shit don't know what it smells like. 7 years old, 100's of hours of use, leather which is unwashable outside of hand scrubbing but can never get all creases and fold cleaned. Imagine the smelliest shit in the world, and double it. It was myth busted as the smelliest sport, and often comes up as tops of the worst smelling sports. So much equipment, so hard to keep clean. It doesn't bother me so much, 22 years of having it all over my body and in my face has made me more than acclimated to the oder, but guests in my cars have always made comments and been very uncomfortable because of the crazy smell. I think at every job I've driven people to lunch once... once. So yeah, I needed a car with a huge trunk that is in a separate compartment from the cab, no more hatch backs here, that's a thing of the past for me.

With the death of the Taurus line another full size sedan will spring up. I would've rather gotten the Hyundai Genesis but it was 2x as much, or I would've had to gotten a 5 year older model to stay within the same budget. I'm sure I'll have large car/trunk options in the future - us "hockey fans" aren't going anywhere and purchase vehicles too :D

In case you're wondering why I have to have my gear, I almost always play after work, so I have to pack my equipment in the morning, put it in my vehicle and drive to work, then go to the rink on my way home. When I was playing every day of the week the gear never would have a chance to completely dry, so on hot days I'd come out to my car and the windows would be fogged/steamed with condensation from my gear, guests love that :)