@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Sega's best console

Started by guyjin, 04/12/2007, 12:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which was the best out of all the Sega game consoles?

SG-1000/SC-3000
Master System/Mark III
Genesis/Mega drive and all their add-ons
Pico
Saturn
Dreamcast
something I missed
Sega never made a good console*

guyjin

Which is the greatest of them all ?

* by choosing this option I hereby forefit my life and all belongings; I declare myself "fair game" as the Scientologists would say.

Turbo D

It has to be the genesis, my personal favorite of the sega family. especially if equiped with either or sega cd and 32x. Man those 32x games are flipping awesome, its like the supergrafx of sega systems,  :D.
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

Keranu

I think we've had one of these polls before, but a new one won't hurt.

Genesis is without-a-doubt the best, but I voted Pico just to give it some love. Speaking of which, who was the other person to vote for the Pico??
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

Turbo D

dude, i bought a pico at a thrift store for 4 bucks and it was pretty cool. It came with some gay winnie the pooh game,  :lol:.
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

TR0N

Saturn follow by the DC.

Not putting down the, Genesis though i got alot of entertainment out of it when i owned one.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

PCEngineHell

Saturn for me first. Genesis second,Sega CD,Dreamcast, and 32X tied for 4th,Master System 5th,and Pico never existed to me.

Seldane

Easy choice. Mega Drive.

I'll make a list too.

1. Mega Drive (great)
2. Saturn (good)
3. Master System (decent)
4. Game Gear (decent)
5. Mega-CD (decent)
6. Dreamcast (bad)
7. 32X (junk)

Never used the other systems and I never will.

The Mega Drive is one of my favorite consoles. It is only surpassed by the SNES and the PS2 which has infinite amounts of perfect games. Anyway, there are tons of great games for the Mega Drive. Soleil (Crusader of Centy), Light Crusader, Landstalker, Phantasy Star 2-3 (never played #4), Traysia, Wonder Boy in Monster World, etc. The list is can be made very long.

The Saturn has a pretty solid library as well. Magic Knight Rayearth (one of my absolute favorites), Shining the Holy Ark, Shining Wisdom, Linkle Liver Story, etc.

The Master System has a handful of really good games, like Golden Axe Warrior, Golvellius and Wonder Boy III The Dragon's Trap.

The Game Gear is a really interesting system. It really is a shame that it is a portable. Those games would've been a lot more enjoyable on a TV. The Madoh Monogatari series, Lunar Walking School, Magic Knight Rayearth, etc. Many interesting titles.

Mega-CD is a pretty weak system, but features some good titles as well, but nothing really stands out to me. It has a bunch of "OK" titles, like the Lunar games, Popful Mail and my personal favorite: Dungeon Explorer (which is not just okay, but great!).

I don't understand the Dreamcast hype. When it was new, nobody cared except a select few. Those that DID care hated it, and it died almost immediately. Now, many long years after its death, people are loving it for some reason. I've never liked it, weak 3d is not my thing. There are only a handful of games that interest me for it (Climax Landers, Grandia 2, etc). PS2 was the first console that could properly handle 3d, and it did it well.

The 32X is junk. That's all I can say.
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG
Indeed, it's AV time. Check out: IMG! Sir, the door was open.

Turbo D

I think dreamcast was fairly revolutionary. It had an awesome controller, with triggers i might add. It also came with a built in modem, thats pretty bad ass. It was compatible with windows me and could boot up homebrew apps without modding. That means you can play your emulators on ur dreamcast, cool. :D
IMG IMG
IMG

Seldane

So the Dreamcast introduced the trigger buttons? Now I know who to blame. I thought the trigger buttons on the GC controller really ruined it. Standard L/R buttons would've been better, now you have to push them down so deep. I know you don't usually need to push them all the way down, but if I don't - it feels like it didn't register, so I have to push them all the way down every time. Obsessive compulsive behaviour I guess. :P
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG

Turbo D

lol, I actually feel that way too on some games  :lol:. I guess they're only good for racing games as a throttle.
IMG IMG
IMG

NecroPhile

1st - Terradrive
2nd - Genesis
3rd - Saturn

How could you leave out the sexy Sega Terradrive?  All the goodness of a Mega Drive, plus the awesome power of a 286 and a development kit.  I don't understand why it wasn't more popular.  I mean, who wouldn't want a brand new computer using a ten year old processor with the added power of Blast Processing.  I know that x86 code would only use the 286, but the proximity to Blast Processing had to have raised the 286 to near Pentium Pro levels of performance.  :^o
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

CrackTiger

My favs in order:

Master System
Genesis
Saturn
Dreamcast
Sg-_000
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

termis

All good from SMS to Dreamcast.  Too difficult to pick a favorite.

GUTS

The Dreamcast gets a lot of hype because it's an awesome system with tons of great games, just like every Sega system (except the 32x of course).

Joe Redifer

The 32X is definitely comparable to the SuperGrafx, just with (much) more power and (many) more games.  Otherwise they are both just as equally useless.

gundarN

I think the Mega Drive is a better "retro" console than the SNES; but the Saturn is cooler. I do like an underdog.

Kitsunexus

I can't choose, I like them all.
Forgive me, my brain is on par with the Bubble System.
THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS RULE!

ccovell

For the time (1988/1989) the MD/Genesis was the closest thing to having an arcade in your home as a console.  Barring the low colour count, it was really powerful.

DC was quite impressive (great hardware), Saturn was disappointing (so-so hardware but great games).  But the Genesis was the only Sega system to have a strong run and a pretty decent lifespan.

Digi.k

bitter sweet memories of Sega consoles but these are my favourites :

Saturn (mostly beaause a lot of games on there especially the import scene has some timeless classics) and I would consider the saturn as a successor to the pc engine.

followed by Dreamcast (mostly because of jet set radio (jet grind) Soul Calibur, Shenmue and Phantasy Star Online

OldRover

Gotta go with the Genesis, largest number of games I wanted so it was an easy pick. :D

Quote from: Seldane on 04/12/2007, 06:59 AMPhantasy Star 2-3 (never played #4)
PLEASE do yourself the favor and play PS4. Out of all the PS games, it's most similar to PS2, right down to the "when is this story gonna end?" style of storytelling.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

termis

Quote from: OldRover on 04/17/2007, 12:18 AMPLEASE do yourself the favor and play PS4. Out of all the PS games, it's most similar to PS2, right down to the "when is this story gonna end?" style of storytelling.
Yeah, Phantasy Star IV was really good.  The only minus for that game was that it was just way too easy compared to the prequels.  Earlier PSs had some BRUTAL dungeons (especially II) and it took awhile to finish those, but I blasted through PS4 in a just a few days...  But as we're all adults now and may not have tons of time to put in a game anymore, that might not be such a bad thing anymore.   :-k

Seldane

I've been meaning to get PS4 for over ten years, but it has yet to happen. I'm not sure why. Please sell it to me. :P
IMG

Digi.k

Phantasy Star IV is excellent! I think PSIII was the worst in the series...

I just wished that sega usa released the Phantasy star collection for sega saturn in the usa which would have been a good chance to see it released in the UK.. (Saturn PS collection featured all the phantasy star games (including the sega Mark III version of ps1, beastiary and japanese tv commercials)... >.>

Seldane

Phantasy Star III is my favorite... It's not anime-ish like almost all the other japanese RPGs, which is a very good thing in my opinion. I absolutely LOVE the monster artwork in PS III. The music is great too, and the plot. I think everything about that game is excellent.
IMG

runinruder

I liked 3 well enough, but 2 is my favorite.  I loved those huge, difficult dungeons.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Kitsunexus

What about Shining Force 2?

Seldane

Only played Shining Force 1... which is the only strategy rpg I've played and enjoyed.
IMG

Digi.k

Quote from: Kitsunexus on 04/17/2007, 10:43 AMWhat about Shining Force 2?
a Very good strategy RPG that should keep you gripped till the end.. the first one was alright too (which both have been remade for the GBA) and so was Shining in the Darkness again on Genesis/megadrive

Shining force III came out on the saturn and was released on 3 seperate discs to accomodate the huuuuge story but only the first part got translated and released in the west..

The sequel-ish to Shining in the Darkness was Shining in the Holy Ark again for the sega saturn... which although I thought was a very good game it had some ugly rendered monsters..

see a vid here:

JoshTurboTrollX

Saturn.

It was the TG16 of the 32/64 era.
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Seldane

Shining the Holy Ark rules. One of my favorites for the Saturn. Ugly enemies and other characters, though.
IMG

Hobo Xiphas

Quote from: Digi.k on 04/17/2007, 02:03 PMShining force III came out on the saturn and was released on 3 seperate discs to accomodate the huuuuge story but only the first part got translated and released in the west..
There is an English script for Scenario 2, and part of Scenario 3 that fit the game when I played them.  I don't know if they are accurate.

I heard awhile back that someone was going to try to insert them into the game, but that it was a major pain in the ass to do.

It really is a shame that Scenario 2 wasn't released in the US, it has some real awesome battles in it.

Quote from: Seldane on 04/17/2007, 04:58 PMShining the Holy Ark rules. One of my favorites for the Saturn. Ugly enemies and other characters, though.
The best thing about Holy Ark is the hilarious different pitches for the text beeps.  I love how the chicks have the really high pitched BEEP-BEEP-BEEP-BEEP-BEEP-BEEP-BEEP while the dragonman in the game had a beefy BOOP-BOOP-BOOP-BOOP-BOOP-BOOP-BOOP-BOOP-BOOP.

Seldane

Text beeps are way better than voice overs. :wink:
IMG

GUTS

Supposedly things are going smoothly on the text insertion in SF3 2&3.  The problem they had I think was that some super asshole who worked on parts of the original translation wouldn't let the hackers use his/her parts, so they had to retranslate some stuff.  Plus there were parts missing here and there from scenario 2 and 3 that had to be translated also.  They did completely translate the premium disc a while back so it seems like they know what they are doing.

Seldane

Was it the same guy who worked on the Mother 3 "translation"? I believe he was called Shimarisu.
IMG

CrackTiger

Quote from: Seldane on 04/17/2007, 07:03 PMText beeps are way better than voice overs. :wink:
Valis 3 Genesis is the best example.

Even if the U.S. Turbo version had good acting, it wouldn't take away from how cool the Genesis dialogue sfx are.

Quote from: Seldane on 04/17/2007, 09:56 AMPhantasy Star III is my favorite... It's not anime-ish like almost all the other japanese RPGs, which is a very good thing in my opinion. I absolutely LOVE the monster artwork in PS III. The music is great too, and the plot. I think everything about that game is excellent.
PSIII is a lot better than PSII. The monster artwork is the best next to PS1.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Joe Redifer

PS1 was a hell of a lot more animated than PS3.  In PS3 they maybe wiggle a finger or twitch their ears as they are attacking.  I still greatly enjoyed the game as I played through all 4 about a year or so ago (on real hardware).  Love that series.  PSO and PSU do not count as real Phantasy Star games... or as real games.

Seldane

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 04/19/2007, 02:18 AMPSO and PSU do not count as real Phantasy Star games... or as real games.
Super word.

Super word.
IMG

guyjin

Quote from: Seldane on 04/18/2007, 04:22 PMWas it the same guy who worked on the Mother 3 "translation"? I believe he was called Shimarisu.
Tell me more about this 'translation'. I've been threatening to pick the game up.

Seldane

It was a "translation" made by someone who sucks at translating (try the first Ys 4 SFC translation from 2001 for an example of his terrible work - not to be confused with Deuce's recent and excellent translation of the same). He was extremely rude to everybody and acted all arrogant and superior because he was "translating" it (the typical I rule because I'm the biggest geek kind of arrogance). Well, people got pissed at him so he dropped it altogether. His almost equally arrogant friends are still saying they're working on it, even though it's obviously just a lie. I don't really know much, as I don't care about either Mother 3 or the "translation", I've only heard this from people who do care.

I believe there's another translation project for it though, held by more professional people. I believe their translator is called Tomato, famous for some FF or SD translation. Don't really remember.
IMG

Kitsunexus

Quote from: Seldane on 04/19/2007, 01:03 PMI believe there's another translation project for it though, held by more professional people. I believe their translator is called Tomato, famous for some FF or SD translation. Don't really remember.
Tomato is famous because of Bahamut Lagoon's translation, I believe...

guyjin

Quote from: Seldane on 04/19/2007, 01:03 PMIt was a "translation" made by someone who sucks at translating (try the first Ys 4 SFC translation from 2001 for an example of his terrible work - not to be confused with Deuce's recent and excellent translation of the same). He was extremely rude to everybody and acted all arrogant and superior because he was "translating" it (the typical I rule because I'm the biggest geek kind of arrogance). Well, people got pissed at him so he dropped it altogether. His almost equally arrogant friends are still saying they're working on it, even though it's obviously just a lie. I don't really know much, as I don't care about either Mother 3 or the "translation", I've only heard this from people who do care.
I suppose they have a forum of some kind?

QuoteI believe there's another translation project for it though, held by more professional people. I believe their translator is called Tomato, famous for some FF or SD translation. Don't really remember.
I need to study Japanese more, so I can be one of these people.

Seldane

IMG

GUTS

Shimarisu sounds familiar, that name reminds me of some stupid chick who used to complain about how anything but a "literal" japanese translation was horrible, I remember people on the Working Designs message board talking about how annoying she was.  She supposedly learned japanese and translated something, maybe it was Ys IV like you said.

Seldane

Yeah that's the guy. His translations are extremely literal, and practically impossible to make any sense of.
IMG

NecroPhile

Quote from: Seldane on 04/17/2007, 07:03 PMText beeps are way better than voice overs. :wink:
Except for the annoying shit in Exile: WP - it makes my anus bleed.

Super literal translations always suck.  Some phrases simply can't be translated properly, but I'm happy if I get the gist of the conversation.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Keranu

I don't remember text bleeps in Exile: WP?
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

OldRover

Yeah, the text sound in Exile: WP was ultra-annoying. However, another good example of dialogue bleeps was Illusion Of Gaia (SNES).
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Seldane

And Soul Blazer and Terranigma. They used the same font and bleeps. Nice bleeps, to boot.
IMG

Kitsunexus

Illusion Of Gaia, Terranigma and Soul Blazer are GREAT games....

SignOfZeta

I guess I'd have to pick Saturn, although DC is a close second.

I'll never understand the Mega Drive fanaticism. Nearly everything on it is fucking brown, and software support was very crap compared to PCE and SFC. The CD added something for sure, but CD added much much more to the PCE.
IMG