Sony's game unit plans to cut jobs in U.S

Started by TR0N, 06/08/2007, 12:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TR0N

IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

termis

Well, that's the state of Sony.  They're behind the game now...  Nintendo has the momentum, and that's gotta be the biggest things in video game market.  I think the only exception to that was the Genesis/SNES wars where there were some flip-flopping during their heydays, but other than that, I've yet to see a system actually make a good comeback once they fell behind.

Doesn't mean PS3 will quickly disappear, if Gamecube and Xbox were able to stay alive with their smaller marketshare, I suppose the PS3 can do the same.

NecroPhile

Not too surprising - the PS3 is the Xbox of this console generation (most powerful, most expensive, and least amount of top notch games).  That being said, Sony's only a few games and a price cut away from regaining some market traction.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Dark Fact

Sony needs to last for another year since the big name titles come out then.  They need Metal Gear Solid 4 and Final Fantasy XIII to get their act back together.  What would worry some potential Sony fanboys is that Sony would throw in the towel before the year is up.
homepage2.nifty.com/tkdate/ysmusic/screen/graphic/Win_CP_THE_LAST.jpg
Sorry, but I don't see your library card on the books of Ys.  Now, RETURN THEM TO ME!!!

Golgo13

offsidewing

What sony needs is for healthcare costs to come down!!

Cripes, I pay some fresh-faced MSU grad $38K as an analyst, but have to fork out another $15k just for their health ins.  And the poor stooge has to fork out another $120 a month in contribution!

Actually, I believe Sony projected a 9 billion dollar LOSS the first 3 years of the PS3's life, my memory may be a bit fuzzy on the precise numbers, but I remember it being pretty close to a 10 bil dollar bath.  Their stock didn't budge when they released that piece of info to stockholders.

As an employer, your labor head count is indirectly linked to market share.  Your labor cost is something different...

NecroPhile

Quote from: Golgo13 on 06/08/2007, 04:17 PMSony is the new "Feka".
My ignorant ass demands an immediate explanation.

Kitsunexus

Dunno if you guys heard yet, but Kotaku rumored that there will be a redesigned PSP coming out with a better D-pad and buttons, a new OLED screen that quadruples the battery life, and 8GB of internal memory so you don't have to but those expensive as shit ProSD cards!

They're trying to get them under $170!

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/sony/unconfirmed-psp-slim-to-offer-8gb-internal-flash-improved-everything-267274.php

This is a good example of price cutting.
Forgive me, my brain is on par with the Bubble System.
THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS RULE!

Golgo13

Quote from: guest on 06/08/2007, 05:10 PM
Quote from: Golgo13 on 06/08/2007, 04:17 PMSony is the new "Feka".
My ignorant ass demands an immediate explanation.
You mean you dont remember the old Turbo Duo ads? "Johnny Turbo"?

Kitsunexus

I didn't remember either, but now I know what you were talking about. I always thought it was a take on Sega though, not Sony.

nat

It was. That's why Sony is the "new" Feka.

Or should I say they're the new "Fony."

GUTS

That new PSP sounds dope, I'd buy one of those in a second since the faster drive and better battery life would fix it's biggest problems.  Built in memory would be ultra sweet too.

TR0N

Quote from: Dark Fact on 06/08/2007, 12:49 PMSony needs to last for another year since the big name titles come out then.  They need Metal Gear Solid 4
LOL there since it's been anounce MGS4 is coming to the 360 well that's been, a on and off again rumor but hey it could happen.

Sony can't seem to keep it's "exlcusive as of late one title afther another jumps ship to the 360.

Maybe if they do get some killer apps.. and a price cut they can catch up.

Still this gen though it looks like they will be in third place though.

Realy sony can't blame the consumer for there sales lagging so much.

They pick the format and they knew the price would put the buyer off they, knew it was a risk in the frist place.

They got success with the, PS1&PS2 and became arrogant on there business choice's afther that.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

NecroPhile

Quote from: Golgo13 on 06/08/2007, 05:27 PMYou mean you dont remember the old Turbo Duo ads? "Johnny Turbo"?
I dimly remember the ads, but I don't recall 'feka'.  I probably blocked it out along with Johnny Turbo's mug.

Quote from: Kitsunexus on 06/08/2007, 05:19 PMDunno if you guys heard yet, but Kotaku rumored that there will be a redesigned PSP coming out with a better D-pad and buttons, a new OLED screen that quadruples the battery life, and 8GB of internal memory so you don't have to but those expensive as shit ProSD cards!
Sounds good, but most of what I've seen only mentions a LED screen.  I took that to mean replacing the fluorescent back light with LEDs, which is still good for accurate color rendition and power savings.  Perhaps Sony should spend some dough on games - their hardware is already superior.

Kitsunexus

Quote from: guest on 06/09/2007, 12:59 AMSounds good, but most of what I've seen only mentions a LED screen.  I took that to mean replacing the fluorescent back light with LEDs, which is still good for accurate color rendition and power savings.  Perhaps Sony should spend some dough on games - their hardware is already superior.
That's probably right, especially considering that OLED doesn't have too high of a refresh rate. My bad. :(

NecroPhile

I could easily be wrong and OLED screens could still be used.  Sony's supposed to start selling an eleven inch television, so if it's good enough for watching television, then it should be good enough for gaming.

offsidewing

Didn't Samsung used to make a 13" gaming TV that was the lamest thing since Atari Football?

Kitsunexus

Quote from: offsidewing on 06/09/2007, 10:59 AMDidn't Samsung used to make a 13" gaming TV that was the lamest thing since Atari Football?
Dude, the one that looks like a computer monitor and it had those hugeass foldout speakers? DAMN dude, those are so OLD-SCHOOL! I WANTED ONE SO BAD!  :lol:

Golgo13

See what I mean, Sony is the new "Feka"

Kitsunexus

Is it just me, or does that evil guy's face look like Clive Lee from Battle Angel Alita?