RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Ys on IIGS

Started by Monster Bonce, 06/09/2007, 04:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monster Bonce

I played Ancient Land of Ys a bit on the Apple IIGS a couple of years ago (funky music). Anyway, I've got it again and was wondering if it was the same game as the PCE CD version? I ask because I've just bought it for the PCE and won't bother with the IIGS version if it is.

Kitsunexus

I can't answer your question, but I can say that people can play this at www.virtualapple.org, it even works with Firefox now! :)
Forgive me, my brain is on par with the Bubble System.
THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS RULE!

Monster Bonce

Well, while I'm on the subject anyone who has a Mac OS 9 or Classic-compatible Mac (any 68020 up to PowerPC G5) should get the freeware CRPGs Mantra and Mantra II. Laughably primitive graphics, but good fun.

nat

Quote from: jmwalsh on 06/09/2007, 04:10 PMI played Ancient Land of Ys a bit on the Apple IIGS a couple of years ago (funky music). Anyway, I've got it again and was wondering if it was the same game as the PCE CD version? I ask because I've just bought it for the PCE and won't bother with the IIGS version if it is.
Dude, i had no idea this even existed.

Where can I get a copy?

Kitsunexus

Quote from: nat on 06/09/2007, 06:10 PM
Quote from: jmwalsh on 06/09/2007, 04:10 PMI played Ancient Land of Ys a bit on the Apple IIGS a couple of years ago (funky music). Anyway, I've got it again and was wondering if it was the same game as the PCE CD version? I ask because I've just bought it for the PCE and won't bother with the IIGS version if it is.
Dude, i had no idea this even existed.

Where can I get a copy?
http://virtualapple.org/ancientlandofysdisk.html < If you don't want to emulate it online, the download disks are directly below. It should be noted that the music sounds a LOT like the X6800.

Seldane

Yeah it is the same as the PC Engine game, sort of.

First of all, the AppleIIgs version is a lot more like the original, first Ys 1. The PCE version is quite broken due to the new level/exp system. The AppleIIgs version is not. The PCE version has been integrated with Ys II however, so it is about twice as long a game, and it has new, better graphics. I suggest playing the PCE game instead, despite the broken gameplay.
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG
Indeed, it's AV time. Check out: IMG! Sir, the door was open.

nat

I'm in the process of playing through Ys I & II for the first time on my TurboGrafx.

I'm going to download that //GS version and give it a try, though.

Monster Bonce

You can get plenty of Apple IIGS games here:

http://www.whatisthe2gs.apple2.org.za/the_fairway/index.html

Including ICOM adventures that originated on the Mac (but in colour) and the Neuromancer adventure game. The Immortal is supposed to be good. Haven't played it myself.

Dark Fact

I can't believe I've never noticed that Virtual Apple site before.  Thanks for the link! :D
homepage2.nifty.com/tkdate/ysmusic/screen/graphic/Win_CP_THE_LAST.jpg
Sorry, but I don't see your library card on the books of Ys.  Now, RETURN THEM TO ME!!!

nat

Quote from: jmwalsh on 06/10/2007, 07:15 AMYou can get plenty of Apple IIGS games here:

http://www.whatisthe2gs.apple2.org.za/the_fairway/index.html

Including ICOM adventures that originated on the Mac (but in colour) and the Neuromancer adventure game. The Immortal is supposed to be good. Haven't played it myself.
Yeah, that site is pretty old, I think I've leeched everything off of it by now. :)

I really like the site design over there but they have a fairly limited selection of //GS stuff.

I think you asked me in another thread what kind of development was happening for the //GS these days. The answer is.... everything! There is quite a bit happening on the hardware end. Go to this site: www.gse-reactive.com and go into the "Store" to see a bunch of recently developed hardware items. IDE controllers, compact flash drives, sound cards, memory, 1.4MB floppy controllers & drives, etc. There has been a brand-new Ethernet card produced by another party. On the software side, there are still games, OS extensions, utilities, you name it being created. Particularly interesting to me is a TCP/IP stack extension for the OS, combined with a new web serving application that allows you to use your //GS as a real, live webserver.

Back on topic, BTW: I downloaded and played Ys I on my //GS last night. It's a pretty decent port! Obviously the graphics aren't as nice as the TurboGrafx version, which in turn aren't as nice as they could be, but it's really solid. And it actually has a "Quit" function from within the game, unlike a lot of the seriously dated //GS games that require you to reboot to quit. How annoying is that?

EDIT: Here's one item in particular I'm looking at for my //GS: http://www.gse-reactive.com/product_info.php?products_id=126. It's a little pricey but I think it'd be worth it in the long run.

Kitsunexus

Quote from: Dark Fact on 06/10/2007, 11:27 AMI can't believe I've never noticed that Virtual Apple site before.  Thanks for the link! :D
No prob, it's better than it ever has been, because it used to be IE-only. >_< Now that Firefox supports it, it's better for killing time than ANY of those Flash game sites.

nat

Quote from: Kitsunexus on 06/10/2007, 01:53 PM
Quote from: Dark Fact on 06/10/2007, 11:27 AMI can't believe I've never noticed that Virtual Apple site before.  Thanks for the link! :D
No prob, it's better than it ever has been, because it used to be IE-only. >_< Now that Firefox supports it, it's better for killing time than ANY of those Flash game sites.
Yeah, but it's still Windows-only.

Keranu

Whoooa, I had no clue there was an Apple II version!
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

Kitsunexus

Quote from: nat on 06/10/2007, 01:56 PM
Quote from: Kitsunexus on 06/10/2007, 01:53 PM
Yeah, but it's still Windows-only.
This is true. But there's always Bootcamp!  :wink:

CrackTiger

Quote from: Keranu on 06/11/2007, 10:50 PMWhoooa, I had no clue there was an Apple II version!
Theres also an IBM version, if thats the technically correct term.

They're the versions with Malficus or whatever as the name of Dark Fact.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Kitsunexus

Quote from: guest on 06/11/2007, 11:16 PMTheres also an IBM version, if thats the technically correct term.
If it's the one I'm thinking of with shit CGA graphics and beeper sound, then the technically correct term is "shit".

Seldane

IBM Ys comes in three variations, CGA, EGA and Tandy. And yeah, it's pretty much the same as the AppleIIgs version. Same developer and everything. They even came in the exact same box, except for a sticker saying AppleIIgs and IBM, respectively.
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG

nat

Except the //GS version has far better graphics than the CGA version could ever hope to have, and probably better than the EGA version as well. Not to mention the sound chip in the //GS rocks in comparison.

Seldane

Quote from: nat on 06/12/2007, 10:42 AMExcept the //GS version has far better graphics than the CGA version could ever hope to have, and probably better than the EGA version as well. Not to mention the sound chip in the //GS rocks in comparison.
Wrong. The graphics are identical. The music is better on the IIgs version of course, but that is all.
IMG

nat

Quote from: Seldane on 06/12/2007, 10:46 AM
Quote from: nat on 06/12/2007, 10:42 AMExcept the //GS version has far better graphics than the CGA version could ever hope to have, and probably better than the EGA version as well. Not to mention the sound chip in the //GS rocks in comparison.
Wrong. The graphics are identical. The music is better on the IIgs version of course, but that is all.
Well, i was only guessing about the EGA, but there's no way in hell the CGA version looks like that. CGA is only 4 colors!

Seldane

I've never tested the CGA graphics mode for Ys, but in EGA mode the game looks exactly like the IIgs game.
IMG

Kitsunexus

Quote from: nat on 06/12/2007, 10:42 AMNot to mention the sound chip in the //GS rocks in comparison.
Quote from: Seldane on 06/12/2007, 10:46 AMWrong. The graphics are identical. The music is better on the IIgs version of course, but that is all.
You can thank Ensoniq for that. The 2//GS uses the same sound chip as their Mirage sampling keyboard:

IMG

QuoteThe Mirage preceded the revolutionary EPS and EPS-16+ sampler workstations in the Ensoniq line-up. Historically, the Mirage was one of the earliest affordable sampler synths, originally listing under $1,700. There have been multiple versions of the Mirage too, the DSK8 and the most common and popular known as the Mirage DSK1. Its sampling specs are pretty old-school, a maximum sampling-rate of 32kHz and 8-bit resolution means your sounds will be somewhat lo-fi. The limited 8 notes of polyphony and incredibly tiny amount of storage (128 kb) almost make you want to hide the Mirage in your closet. Even the sample editing is done via hex-code which is not a simple to concept to master. Most users will just load-in sounds from the Mirage's extensive sample library.
However the Mirage has one leftover from older synthesizers that has kept it popular through the years. It has analog filters! Five-stage envelopes for the VCA and VCF, a nice LFO and a low-pass VCF filter with keyboard tracking. There's also a sequencer (333 notes max) that is limited to say the least but is better than nothing.

Most people searching for a classic sampler/synth would look towards the EPS and EPS-16+ from Ensoniq. After all, their specs, design and quality are superior. However, there is a certain amount of nostalgia concerned with the Mirage. It has been used by Skinny Puppy, Jimmy Edgar, and Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis. Those of you who collect will love having a Mirage around, but for practical music production you would be better off getting an old Akai sampler.
Specifications:
  • Polyphony - 8 voices
  • Sampler - 8-bit, 32kHz
  • Sample Time - 6.5 seconds at 10kHz
  • Filter - Analog low pass filter with 5 stage envelope
  • VCA - 5 stage digital envelope
  • Keyboard - 61 keys (velocity)
  • Memory - 16 internal patches, 128 kb sampler memory, 3.5 inch diskette
  • Sequencer - 333 Note capacity
  • Control - MIDI
  • Date Produced - 1984-1988
  • Est. Value - $300+

Keranu

Quote from: Seldane on 06/12/2007, 10:29 AMIBM Ys comes in three variations, CGA, EGA and Tandy.
I'll take the Tandy version, thank you very much 8) .
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

Monster Bonce

Quote from: nat on 06/10/2007, 01:51 PMI think you asked me in another thread what kind of development was happening for the //GS these days. The answer is.... everything! There is quite a bit happening on the hardware end. Go to this site: www.gse-reactive.com and go into the "Store" to see a bunch of recently developed hardware items. IDE controllers, compact flash drives, sound cards, memory, 1.4MB floppy controllers & drives, etc. There has been a brand-new Ethernet card produced by another party. On the software side, there are still games, OS extensions, utilities, you name it being created. Particularly interesting to me is a TCP/IP stack extension for the OS, combined with a new web serving application that allows you to use your //GS as a real, live webserver.
Sliding slightly off topic can you point me at some new games? I'm just curious and want to have a look.