10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

What are your favorite videogame genres?

Started by Joe Redifer, 06/29/2007, 01:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What're your favorite game genres?

Platforming - (Mario, Sonic, etc)
7 (25.9%)
Run & Gun - (Contra, Gunstar, Metal Slug, etc)
6 (22.2%)
Puzzle - (Columns, Puyo Puyo, etc.  Oh, and Tetris)
2 (7.4%)
One on one fighting - (Street Fighter 2, Guilty Gear, etc)
6 (22.2%)
RPG - (Lunar, Final Fantasy, Phantasy Star, etc)
11 (40.7%)
Action RPG - (Dragon's Curse, Zelda, Ys, etc)
11 (40.7%)
Strategy - (Warsong, Military Madness, etc)
1 (3.7%)
Strategy RPG - (Shining Force, etc)
0 (0%)
Horizontal Shooter - (Thunder Force 3, Gradius, etc)
7 (25.9%)
Vertical Shooter - (Twin Bee, MUSHA, etc)
2 (7.4%)
Isometric Shooter - (Viewpoint, Zaxxon 32X, etc)
0 (0%)
3D Racer - (Out Run, Daytona USA, etc)
5 (18.5%)
Overhead Racer - (Moto Roader, Pole Position, Neo Drift Out, etc)
0 (0%)
Boring Racer - (Gran Turismo, Sega GT, Forza, etc)
0 (0%)
First Person Shooter - (Doom, Halo, etc)
2 (7.4%)
Geek Games - (Warcraft, etc)
0 (0%)
Nerd Games - (Star Control, etc)
0 (0%)
Text Adventures - (Phoenix Wright 2, JB Harold Murder Club, etc)
0 (0%)
FMV - (Night Trap, Road Avenger, etc)
1 (3.7%)
Action Adventure with RPG overtones - (Nearly every game released for PS2, PS3, Xbox, 360 that doesn't fit the above categories, etc)
2 (7.4%)
Flight Simulation - (Ace Combat, Chuck Yeager, etc)
0 (0%)
Art games - (Mario Paint, Art Alive, etc)
0 (0%)
Light gun games - (Safari Hunt, Missile Defense 3D, House of the Dead, etc)
0 (0%)
Beat 'em Ups - Streets of Rage, Final Fight, that one easy game on the TurboDuo, etc)
1 (3.7%)
Sports games - (John Madden Football, Tommy Lasorda Baseball, etc)
0 (0%)
Ancient arcade games that defy genre - (Pac-Man, Dig Dug, Frogger, Space Invaders, Tempest, etc)
1 (3.7%)
Pippin Atmark - (Yes, it's its own genre)
1 (3.7%)
Something I missed - (Dancing/singing/guitar games, Power Pad games, educational games, etc)
5 (18.5%)
Point and Click - (The Manhole, Willy Beamish, etc)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Joe Redifer

Which are your favorite genres?  You can have up to THREE votes per user because I am renowned for my generosity..

OldRover

RPG, Action/RPG, and Platformers. I've been an RPG freak for longer than many current gamers have been alive. :D I wasn't really a platformer fan until I started coding one for the PCE...now it's one of my favorite genres. :)

My list of defeated RPGs is in the triple digits. One day I'll dig out said list and make about 20 new additions to it.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: Nödtveidt on 06/29/2007, 01:36 AMRPG, Action/RPG, and Platformers. I've been an RPG freak for longer than many current gamers have been alive. :D I wasn't really a platformer fan until I started coding one for the PCE...now it's one of my favorite genres. :)

My list of defeated RPGs is in the triple digits. One day I'll dig out said list and make about 20 new additions to it.
Same with me, though, if there was a choice of 5, I'd add shooter, & run n' gun.
IMG

elnino

www.pcedaisakusen.net
People said his brain was infected by devils!
PCE Shmupscountown: 109/110 (1to go)
PCエンジン - シューティングゲーム読み秒:109/110個 (1個余る)

Seldane

RACING (and I mean REAL racing like Burnout!) and I also like RPGs of any kind (except strategy RPGs, those aren't RPGs, they are crap). I also used to like platform games, but nowadays, I only find Super Mario World worth playing. Pretty much.
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG
Indeed, it's AV time. Check out: IMG! Sir, the door was open.

Tatsujin

me i went with:

Run & Gun - (Contra, Gunstar, Metal Slug, etc)  4 (10.8%)
Horizontal Shooter - (Thunder Force 3, Gradius, etc)  4 (10.8%)
Vertical Shooter - (Twin Bee, MUSHA, etc)  2 (5.4%)

since i only can choose 3 of them :mrgreen:
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

NecroPhile

RPG, Action RPG, and Something I Missed (no Hentai :lol:).
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Keranu

I voted Pipin Atmark, FMV, and Something I Missed (for any games that are designed for odd peripherals).
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

OldRover

Quote from: Seldane on 06/29/2007, 09:20 AMexcept strategy RPGs, those aren't RPGs, they are crap
Amen to that.
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

nat

You need to allow more than 3 choices.

Seldane

Quote from: Keranu on 06/29/2007, 01:10 PMI voted Pipin Atmark, FMV, and Something I Missed (for any games that are designed for odd peripherals).
Why? We both know it's not true, so why did you vote for those?
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG

nat

Joe Redifer

Quote from: nat on 06/29/2007, 01:15 PMYou need to allow more than 3 choices.
No I don't.  These are your favorite three, not the ONLY three you like.  It doesn't mean you don't like any other genres.

termis

1-on-1 fighting, beat-em ups, and traditional RPGs are probably the ones that get the most play from me.

CrackTiger

I voted RPG, Action RPG and Platforming.

Although I'm not a big fan of most platformers, I love good platforming which is usually more satified in action RPGs.  :P
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

runinruder

My favorite type of game is the modern manly brawler--titles like Chaos Legion, Drakengard, Crimson Sea 2, Dynasty/Samurai Warriors, etc.  This bunch is so genre-defiant that it can't even be considered "Other" for the poll.  It's a small group and only GUTS and I seem to like these games, so I don't blame the magnanimous Ruddifer for not making mention of them. 

Anyway, I guess I'll go with action-RPG, RPG, and horizontal shooter.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Seldane

Sounds you'd like Ys Origin, runinruder. It's practically like Chaos Legion. All you do is mash mash mash. Not to be confused with other Ys games, as it is nothing like them.
IMG

runinruder

I'm sure I'd dig it.  I liked Napishtim a lot, largely due to the combat system.  That seemed like the closest an old-school-style ARPG would ever get to manly-brawler-style fighting.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Seldane

It's pretty different from Napishtim though. Napishtim focused largely on exploration and adventuring, whereas Ys Origin is entirely and completely action-based (and it is much faster, too).
IMG

nat

I voted platformer, action-RPG and horizontal shooter.

Although had I been given 5 options I would've included RPG and 1-on-1 fighting.

Seldane

Seems like people here prefer horizontal shooters to vertical ones. Why do you do that? Interesting.
IMG

CrackTiger

Quote from: Seldane on 06/29/2007, 09:27 PMSeems like people here prefer horizontal shooters to vertical ones. Why do you do that? Interesting.
Horizontal shooters are more fun on a 4:3 TV.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

guyjin

I voted for RPGs, puzzles, and platformers.

Considering the turbo is 'not good at' the first two, it's a wonder why I like the system so much.

Incidentally, I don't see why v-shmups and h-shmups are so different they need different categories.

runinruder

Quote from: Seldane on 06/29/2007, 07:48 PMIt's pretty different from Napishtim though. Napishtim focused largely on exploration and adventuring, whereas Ys Origin is entirely and completely action-based (and it is much faster, too).
Hm, seems like it runs the risk of being a disaster of an Ys game, but it also sounds really intriguing.  Maybe I'll get to play it someday. 

Quote from: Seldane on 06/29/2007, 09:27 PMSeems like people here prefer horizontal shooters to vertical ones. Why do you do that? Interesting.
For me, it just seems like most of my all-time favorites (like 2036, Wings of Wor, Sinistron, Gate, and others) are horizontals, and I think if I counted up all of the shooters I like, there'd be fewer verticals.  Speaking in very general terms, side-scrollers seem to have a little more substance as far as level designs go (in terms of environmental hazards and whatnot) and a little more good stuff going on graphically.  And I guess there's a certain "feel" to them that I just prefer.  But I like verts too, and it's a small margin that separates them in my book.

Kitsunexus

I refuse to vote, because I cannot narrow it down to just three.
Forgive me, my brain is on par with the Bubble System.
THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS RULE!

nat

Quote from: Kitsunexus on 06/29/2007, 11:32 PMI refuse to vote, because I cannot narrow it down to just three.
Yeah, I tend to agree, but Joe denied my request for more choices. So I had to buckle down and vote anyway.

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: runinruder on 06/29/2007, 11:03 PM
Quote from: Seldane on 06/29/2007, 07:48 PMIt's pretty different from Napishtim though. Napishtim focused largely on exploration and adventuring, whereas Ys Origin is entirely and completely action-based (and it is much faster, too).
Hm, seems like it runs the risk of being a disaster of an Ys game, but it also sounds really intriguing.  Maybe I'll get to play it someday. 

For me, it just seems like most of my all-time favorites (like 2036, Wings of Wor, Sinistron, Gate, and others) are horizontals, and I think if I counted up all of the shooters I like, there'd be fewer verticals.  Speaking in very general terms, side-scrollers seem to have a little more substance as far as level designs go (in terms of environmental hazards and whatnot) and a little more good stuff going on graphically.  And I guess there's a certain "feel" to them that I just prefer.  But I like verts too, and it's a small margin that separates them in my book. 
Though Sel doesn't like Ys Origin, I do, it's my favorite Ys so far, but, I don't want to overhype it.  Let's just say it's a good game & leave it at that.
IMG

Kitsunexus

Joe the games you listed as Text Adventures are not. You fail.

Joe Redifer

I'll buy that for Manhole, but not for Phoenix Wright.

Changed Manhole to JB Harold Murder Club.

Kitsunexus

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 06/30/2007, 01:30 AMI'll buy that for Manhole, but not for Phoenix Wright.

Changed Manhole to JB Harold Murder Club.
Dude, those are point and click games! Text adventures are games like Zork.

And I voted for both styles of shooters, and run and guns, but I might change run and guns to puzzle or fighting.

Joe Redifer

Phoenix Wright is not a point and click game.  I barely even touched the touch-screen at all when playing though PW2.  All I did was read text and choose options.   Kind of like JB Harold Murder Club.

Seldane

Phoenix Wright is definitely not a point and click game. The original GBA release featured no pointing and clicking (with a stylus anyway, hehehe). :P It's all text. A text advenure can be a text adventure even though it features graphics and isn't in black and white.
IMG

OldRover

A text adventure is not allowed to have graphics, that's why it's called a text adventure. Introduce graphics to the game, and it's no longer a text adventure but simply an adventure game.

Joe Redifer

I consider a "text adventure" game to be a game where the gameplay is handled through text (as opposed to an onscreen character that you control).  Everything concerning actual gameplay happens through the text.  An adventure game could cover so many categories if we go by Nödt's definition.  It could refer to Final Fantasy, Phoenix Wright, Castle of Illusion, Snatcher, Grand Theft Auto... all games where you go on an adventure.

Kitsunexus

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 06/30/2007, 06:17 PMI consider a "text adventure" game to be a game where the gameplay is handled through text (as opposed to an onscreen character that you control).
So how come you don't even mention ZORK?  HUH!?

CrackTiger

Quote from: Kitsunexus on 06/30/2007, 06:34 PM
Quote from: Joe Redifer on 06/30/2007, 06:17 PMI consider a "text adventure" game to be a game where the gameplay is handled through text (as opposed to an onscreen character that you control).
So how come you don't even mention ZORK?  HUH!?
Cuz only spastics like Zork.

Joe Redifer

Because I've never played or even heard of Zork.  Zork can go to hell.

Seldane

IMG

Keranu

You guys haven't heard of Zork? I'm not sure if it was the first text adventure game, but certainly the first popular one. I haven't played much of it since I suck at it.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG

Joe Redifer

I'd rather read a "Choose Your Own Adventure" book than play a game like Zork.  And I'm completely illiterate!

nat

Quote from: Keranu on 06/30/2007, 07:37 PMYou guys haven't heard of Zork? I'm not sure if it was the first text adventure game, but certainly the first popular one. I haven't played much of it since I suck at it.
I'm fairly sure the first popular text adventure game was the classic Colossal Cave.

"You are lost in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike."

Kitsunexus

nat

When I was a kid in the '80s our family computer was a Kaypro 4. Very limited graphics capability, and only shades of green for color.

So I had my fun playing lots of text adventures, Colossal Cave included. That and the first Zork were my favorites. I think my parents had the entire Infocom text adventure collection.

Around 1990 we finally got a IBM/PC clone with VGA (!!) graphics and that opened the door to a whole new realm of gaming.

Kitsunexus

Anybody remember the Lurking Horror? No text, but on the Amiga and some PCs, there was SOUND!!

If I can find a better host than Savefile, I'll upload the scream. It's a VERY disturbing scream.

Joe Redifer

What was that game for the Saturn that had no graphics or text whatsoever, only sound?

Kitsunexus

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 07/01/2007, 12:19 AMWhat was that game for the Saturn that had no graphics or text whatsoever, only sound?
Oh crap, I know exactly what you're talking about... WARP makes it. Lemme look it up:

Real Sound - Kaze No Riglet

http://www.audiogames.net/db.php?action=view&id=realsoundkazenoregret

esteban

I had to vote for the "Other" category since "tech demo" / "horribly broken, 1/10 games" wasn't listed as a genre.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Keranu

Quote from: esteban on 07/01/2007, 08:36 AMI had to vote for the "Other" category since "tech demo" / "horribly broken, 1/10 games" wasn't listed as a genre.
:mrgreen:
IMG

terrormask

arcade, action/adventure, survival horror, and pinball games are my favorite genres. you missed some on the poll list.

Tatsujin

still can't believe that elnino-kun and myself are the only two who voted for the v-shmups.
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..