OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

Nintendo: you're a spastic

Started by Monster Bonce, 06/30/2007, 10:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

esteban

Will someone please tell me what the word in question was? Or am I too much of a 'tard to figure it out on my own?
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

OldRover

I wanna know too, but I already know I'm a 'tard.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Seldane

Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG
Indeed, it's AV time. Check out: IMG! Sir, the door was open.

nat

Oh, boo fucking hoo.

If it offends you, don't play it.

People like the woman in that article really piss me off.

I bet the word is "retard."

To put things in perspective: my brother has cerebral palsy. I still use the word "retard" and I don't get offended when I hear or read it somewhere. He doesn't either, unless someone is maliciously poking fun at him.

Monster Bonce

Quote from: Seldane on 06/30/2007, 12:47 PMMaybe it's "spastic".
Correct.

The word "retard" is not really in common use in Ireland. Spastic is verboten but people still know and use it.

nat

Either way, same difference. Your spastic is our retard.

Monster Bonce

Yeah, I know. I'm just not sure how the word would go down—maybe worse, maybe better. It fell out of use at a time when spastic was still considered OK. It's making a reappearance as a result of the internet and some popular US TV shows, though.

CrackTiger

I'd love to play a game that called me retarded if I did really bad.  :P
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Keranu

Quote from: guest on 06/30/2007, 02:45 PMI'd love to play a game that called me retarded if I did really bad.  :P
Me too!
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

Turbo D

I think that story is kind of funny
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

esteban

Quote from: Keranu on 06/30/2007, 03:38 PM
Quote from: guest on 06/30/2007, 02:45 PMI'd love to play a game that called me retarded if I did really bad.  :P
Me too!
Me three!
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Seldane

This is dangerous. Political correctness must be the most horrible thing in the world. Damn.... people!
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG
Indeed, it's AV time. Check out: IMG! Sir, the door was open.

Kitsunexus

If you lose in a Hot Wheels: Turbo Racing tournament on PS1, the game calls you a "loser with no talent". First time I snapped a PS1 controller.
Forgive me, my brain is on par with the Bubble System.
THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS RULE!

CrackTiger

Its okay for games to call you a/the 'loser', even though many kids who play games are already bullied at school and called a 'loser' on a daily basis.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Kitsunexus

Quote from: guest on 06/30/2007, 06:42 PMIts okay for games to call you a/the 'loser', even though many kids who play games are already bullied at school and called a 'loser' on a daily basis.
No no, this wasn't "the loser", as in you lost. This was VERBATIM "_______ is a loser with no talent!", "_________" being the name you typed in before the match.

This was in a HOT WHEELS game. I'm surprised it didn't get recalled for that.

And no, I didn't purposefully buy said Hot Wheels game, it was a Christmas gift. However is is actually a very decent and fun game, I'd recommend it to anyone.

Turbo D

wow, that hotwheels game is pretty harsh, haha. I'm glad I didn't play it.
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

NecroPhile

So Nintendo is pulling a game because of a slang word - what a crock of crap.  Spastic refers to muscles that contract uncontrollably (spasm), and I don't care if the Irish use it to refer to the mentally retarded any more than I care about any other innocuous slang term.  Next they'll pull games with words like bush, trim, organ, rod, beaver, box, jugs, gash, shaft, balls, bang, or twat (ha-ha).  Stupid, bitchy clown was probably drunk and confused anyway (P.C. to the core, ain't I?).
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Keranu

rod, LOL!

And haha at beaver.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

nat

Quote from: guest on 07/01/2007, 02:41 AMSo Nintendo is pulling a game because of a slang word - what a crock of crap.  Spastic refers to muscles that contract uncontrollably (spasm), and I don't care if the Irish use it to refer to the mentally retarded any more than I care about any other innocuous slang term.  Next they'll pull games with words like bush, trim, organ, rod, beaver, box, jugs, gash, shaft, balls, bang, or twat (ha-ha).  Stupid, bitchy clown was probably drunk and confused anyway (P.C. to the core, ain't I?).
Yeah, no kidding.

Monster Bonce

Hey, hey, I'm not saying they should have pulled it. I'm just surprised it got in there in the first place.

Spastic isn't just vernacular in Ireland, though.

What I'd really like to see the full sentence in its original context.

offsidewing

Hope no one puts out a game with the Potato Blight in it.

Kitsunexus

Heh, if the game said "SCOTLAND PWNS!", there'd be some major class action lawsuits going on.

GUTS

Well to be fair, I don't think a game calling you a "retard" would fly in the USA, and isn't spastic basically the same thing over there?  I mean yeah it's funny, but in a game marketed towards women and old people, wouldn't you assume someone is going to be offended by the word?  It's not like the game was GTA, it was a lame-ass Brain Age type "game" for 40 year old women who all have nothing better to do than get offended by everything.

CrackTiger

Quote from: GUTS on 07/02/2007, 01:28 AMWell to be fair, I don't think a game calling you a "retard" would fly in the USA, and isn't spastic basically the same thing over there?  I mean yeah it's funny, but in a game marketed towards women and old people, wouldn't you assume someone is going to be offended by the word?  It's not like the game was GTA, it was a lame-ass Brain Age type "game" for 40 year old women who all have nothing better to do than get offended by everything.
I totally agree. I don't think that Nintendo should put that into kids' games. But it'd be funny getting heckled by a mature game intended for a 'mature audience'(whatever that means).

NecroPhile

Quote from: GUTS on 07/02/2007, 01:28 AMWell to be fair, I don't think a game calling you a "retard" would fly in the USA, and isn't spastic basically the same thing over there?
But, spastic is only common slang for retard over there (Ireland is an English speaking country, last I checked).  Spastic is not defined as 'retarded', but it would actually be an apt description of how some people play games - uncontrolled muscle spasms a.k.a. button mashing.  The word 'special' is often used to describe the mentally challenged, but everything labeled as special is not necessarily retarded (except me).
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Monster Bonce

You know that's a really interesting point. Maybe they didn't mean to conjure up disability but were referring to muscular movements—literally reflexes.

FTR, at a guess I'd say that spastic is also used in Britain as a term of abuse, the news story just happens to be an Irish one.

Monster Bonce

Quote from: guest on 07/02/2007, 01:41 PM(Ireland is an English speaking country, last I checked)
More or less, though cut-glass RP-speakers from Ingerland might have a few problems—if they still exist, that is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiberno-English

Is mise le meas,
Ceann na ollphéist.

Turbo D

In the US, spastic or being a spaz just means that you are crazy or out of control. I used to have a t-shirt of the tazmanian devil that said "spazin' taz" . Ya , that lady in France was just upset cuz her kid died.
IMG IMG
IMG

GUTS

The guys on UK:Resistance use spastic in the same way we use retard, so I assume in the UK it means the same thing.