Started by Emerald Rocker, 07/09/2007, 11:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emerald Rocker

Arrow Flash
Pros:
You can transform.
You play as a hot girl.
Originally developed by Sega.
You have the ARROW FLASH special power which lets you blaze, Altered-Beast-golden-werewolf style, through enemies, slicing them from steel stallion status to metallic mincemeat.

Cons:
Awesome cartridge music does not play in my CD player.

Gate of Thunder
Pros:
Decent music.

Cons:
You can't transform.
The "wildcat" supply ship is fat.
Storyline implicitly endorses the Mafia.
The orange bar of death (after you collect excess powerups) is scary and could frighten young children or the infirm.

Objectively, I'd say that Arrow Flash wins.  What do you all think?
Official member of the PCEFX 4K Post Club

guyjin

Emerald Rocker

Pros:
His anus is bleeding.

Cons:
can't transform.
is not a hot girl.
is fat.
can't stand up to the space mafia in a fighter jet.

Emerald Rocker

guyjin

Pros:
Has a cute message board icon to compensate for... well, to compensate for something.

Cons:
I think he stole that message board icon from someone else.
He likes it when guys' anuses bleed.

Emerald Rocker

On an unrelated note, Compile shafted the Duo.  They put their one good shooter, Robo Aleste, on the Sega CD.

But damn that company knows how to make a mean puzzle game.

runinruder

Good points by Emerald Rocker.  It's too bad that the Duo didn't have any shooters with the intensity or soundtrack of a Wings of Wor.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Emerald Rocker

Wings of Wor even has the arcade feel.  (Kind of like Arrow Flash)

runinruder

Good grief, it occurs to me that Renovation gave the Genesis Gaiares and the Duo Legion.  They REALLY shafted the PCE. 

Duo shooters also come up lame in effects.  Thunder Force 3 had a raging inferno, Wings of Wor had the unforgettable innards.  Meanwhile, Sinistron tried to do "wavy" and looked like a wobbly 8-bit mess.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Emerald Rocker

I heard that the name of Mega Drive shooter exemplar par excellence "Eliminate Down" was originally going to be "Eliminate Duo", but then they realized that the Duo wasn't a serious threat to the shooter crown.

GUTS

Genesis definitely has the best shooters and is widely regarded as the shooter system amongst normal people.

nat

Quote from: runinruder on 07/10/2007, 12:00 AMMeanwhile, Sinistron tried to do "wavy" and looked like a wobbly 8-bit mess. 
Hey, I like that wavy effect!

CrackTiger

Quote from: runinruder on 07/10/2007, 12:00 AMGood grief, it occurs to me that Renovation gave the Genesis Gaiares and the Duo Legion.  They REALLY shafted the PCE. 

Duo shooters also come up lame in effects.  Thunder Force 3 had a raging inferno, Wings of Wor had the unforgettable innards.  Meanwhile, Sinistron tried to do "wavy" and looked like a wobbly 8-bit mess. 
You mean like Darius II's blazing inferno? :wink:

Of course, even Sagaia on SMS can do Genesis quality "wavy". :-"

Quote from: nat on 07/10/2007, 12:18 AM
Quote from: runinruder on 07/10/2007, 12:00 AMMeanwhile, Sinistron tried to do "wavy" and looked like a wobbly 8-bit mess. 
Hey, I like that wavy effect!
They're just funnin'.  :P
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Emerald Rocker

The Duo has shitty graphics.

nat

Quote from: guest on 07/10/2007, 12:21 AMThey're just funnin'.  :P
Ah yes, stupid me... Lest I forget, "TurboChip DUDS."

Emerald Rocker

Nah, those were chips, which everyone knows sucks (not enough memory to do any graphical effects).  The CDs suffered too... compare the slow and choppy rotation in Metamor Jupiter to the smooth, full-screen effects of Robo Aleste on Sega CD.  Or hell, compare F1 Circus to the driving scenes in Batman Returns.  No contest.

Emerald Rocker

Here are comparison shots.  You'll notice that both games feature black cars, but somehow, they don't look quite the same!

Shitty Duo graphics:
IMG

Awesome full-screen Sega CD scaling and rotation:
IMG

Keranu

Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

OldRover

Quote from: Keranu on 07/10/2007, 12:41 AMEmerald Rocker is a snerd.
I think I agree.

And what's with "Made by SEGA" being some kind of advantage? I don't see it as any kind of special bonus. Sega made a lot of good games, but then they also made a lot of shit games too.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

guyjin

Keranu

Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG

Turbo D

Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

guyjin

Jeez, I thought everyone had seen that by now. When nobody seemed to 'get' the reference I made to ER, i thought maybe I needed to corrupt you all.  :twisted:

Emerald Rocker

Sega didn't make any crappy games until Shenmue.  Then they turned into Hudson Mark II, where they'd release one good game per year and 30 shitty games.

guyjin

Yes, 'cuz we all know how shitty Crazy Taxi and Jet Grind Radio were  :lol:

Emerald Rocker

Those both came out before Shenmue and are therefore good, but it was a nice try at a comeback.

OldRover

I have no choice but to conclude that Emerald Rocker is a clueless fanboy who can be ignored from now on.
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Emerald Rocker

Fair enough, I concluded the same about you after your silly comments about Dead Moon being better than Lightening Force.

Tatsujin

Goldenaxe (MD) vs. Goldenaxe (PCE)

Goldenaxe (MD):
Pros:
It's Goldenaxe

Cons:
It's Goldenaxe on the MD/GEnnY

Goldenaxe (PCE):
Pros:
It's Goldenaxe on the "Yippieayyeah" PC Engine

Cons:
so far nothing known
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Turbo D

:-s golden axe pce cd port is really awful
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

Keranu

Hence the sarcasm that fits in this sarcastic thread :D .
IMG

Turbo D

#-o doh, looks like that one got past me, haha.
IMG IMG
IMG

CrackTiger

I love Golden Axe PCE. Once I saw it on display at a local store, I had to have it and began saving up for a Turbo-CD for the second time(I got ripped off on the first one I tried to buy :().

The actual game was ported terribly, but the rest of it is very enjoyable. Even the game itself is still playable, since there wasn't much to Golden Axe in the first place.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

OldRover

Maybe someday Frozen Utopia will give the PCE Golden Axe a proper makeover...but from scratch! But that's a pipe dream for now...

CrackTiger

Quote from: Nödtveidt on 07/11/2007, 11:06 PMMaybe someday Frozen Utopia will give the PCE Golden Axe a proper makeover...but from scratch! But that's a pipe dream for now...
It'd be great if you kept the cinemas, but dubbed them in english. :D