What Turbo game are you currently playing?

Started by WandererFromYs, 02/28/2008, 12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NE146

I'm actually starting on Ys and Rondo.. basically I ignored turbo cd games 3 decades ago despite being a TG16 fan... Ys especially since I finished it on the SMS and had no interest starting it again, better graphics or not.  But anyway now I'm making up for it. :)

seieienbu

Quote from: crazydean on 09/28/2016, 12:52 PMYou probably just assumed that no on has played DD this year. Much less, cleared it.
Most years that might be a safe assumption!
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Gypsy

Lately I've been on a Twin Cobra (Kyukyoku Tiger) kick. Trying to improve mah score.

EmperorIng

IMG

I am now king of Cotton.

I was able to clear the first loop yesterday, but didn't make it too far into the second because the buffed health of enemies meant that a few strategies didn't carry over from the first loop.

Great game, but I was a little let down when the last three bosses of the game (that's almost half of them!) have safe-spots that let you avoid all of their attacks (or nearly all). It's an unwelcome blemish on an otherwise top-quality shooter.

Gypsy

geise

I've been playing Terraforming. I forgot how much I hate/love level 3.

Dicer

Quote from: geise on 10/05/2016, 01:33 PMI've been playing Terraforming. I forgot how much I hate/love level 3.
It's such a love hate game in general...

airzonkrulz

I have been playing Hit the Ice, Air Zonk and Devil's Crush this week - best wishes -

SavagePencil

R-Type.  With a new joystick.  I WILL PREVAIL.

EmperorIng

love: backgrounds
hate: everything else

Quote from: Gypsy on 10/04/2016, 11:07 AMCongrats Emperor.
Thanks; I'm not sure what the next clear will be. Halloween means Splatterhouse deserves a playthrough, at the least. I don't know of other horror themed games outside of Demon's World and Laplace (of which the latter doesn't appeal to my non-Japanese-speaking brain).

As far as shooters go, I popped Gradius II in for a whirl and was reminded just how damn good the port is.

I also actually made it to stage 3 on RayXanber II on one continue, which is a personal best. Considering how gleefully dickish this game is about herding you into a location where a dozen enemies will spawn on top of you, I consider this quite the feat!

geise

I totally forgot the OP of this wonderful thread only has 1 post! :lol:

goldenband

Right now, Double Dungeons! Eight down, 14 to go (though I know they're about to start getting much, much bigger).

Before that it was World Court Tennis, which I beat a few weeks ago, making it the first Turbo/PCE game I've ever beaten. :)

SoulflySolid

SoulflySolid

IMG

Played some Final Soldier today. Stage 6 wrecked me. Those damn turrets that shoot homing shots at you are the bane of my existence.

crazydean

Sinistron. It feels a lot like R-type. The checkpoints are useless.

SoulflySolid

EmperorIng

I beat Splatterhouse on Hard last night. It felt good to revisit the familiar locales and enemies, even in gimped-down form vs. their bloody arcade counterparts.

Hard mode is underwhelming, honestly. All the mode changes is that it doubles all enemy health. That's fine, I suppose, though it takes a bit of the fun out of whacking a green mud-man if he doesn't splat in one hit like the rest of 'em.

I wish they would have been more creative with Hard, like putting the slimy face-slugs back into Stage 2 like they were in the arcade. Or slight enemy placement tweaks. With the default difficulty being a bit too easy, the Arcade Splatterhouse still wins out as the best version, mechanically speaking (to say nothing of its obviously-better visuals).

esteban

Quote from: EmperorIng on 10/13/2016, 05:17 PMI beat Splatterhouse on Hard last night. It felt good to revisit the familiar locales and enemies, even in gimped-down form vs. their bloody arcade counterparts.

Hard mode is underwhelming, honestly. All the mode changes is that it doubles all enemy health. That's fine, I suppose, though it takes a bit of the fun out of whacking a green mud-man if he doesn't splat in one hit like the rest of 'em.

I wish they would have been more creative with Hard, like putting the slimy face-slugs back into Stage 2 like they were in the arcade. Or slight enemy placement tweaks. With the default difficulty being a bit too easy, the Arcade Splatterhouse still wins out as the best version, mechanically speaking (to say nothing of its obviously-better visuals).
Agreed. Not only is it easy, but it is really short (for a console game).

That said, I have had fun replaying the game over the years....probably because it is so short.

:)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Gypsy

Not turbo but, I didn't want to see if there was a non-turbo playing thread (I'm lazy). New personal best for me, took about an hour. @_@

IMG

munchiaz

Played some Dragon Spirit last night. Pretty good arcade port. Really wish the dragon's hitbox wasn't so damn big. Thats honestly the hardest part about this game

majors

Quote from: munchiaz on 10/14/2016, 11:38 AM... Really wish the dragon's hitbox wasn't so damn big. Thats honestly the hardest part about this game
Granted, but that's part of the game. Saber is even better!

Got some Raiden in last night, or rather it drilled me a new one. So hard...

Did 7 rounds of Motoroader. Game gets a bad rap due to not being able to see ahead when you're in the lead and the fact that the computer controlled cars obviously CHEAT with upgrades. Still have fun with it tho.

Also re-re-started Nectaris 2 b/c I keep forgetting what turbob has my save file. I need to invest in a Tennokoe some day. MM/Nectaris is just the right amount stat and sim, plus part 2 has that baller orchestrated redbook.
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

EmperorIng

Quote from: munchiaz on 10/14/2016, 11:38 AMPlayed some Dragon Spirit last night. Pretty good arcade port. Really wish the dragon's hitbox wasn't so damn big. Thats honestly the hardest part about this game
The dragon's hitbox grows as your dragon grows. In the Namco Museum Vol. 5 port, the game itself even notes this and recommends that you limit yourself to two heads for maximum effectiveness.

I can't remember if the HuCard port is based off of the Old or New version of Dragon Spirit; the New version ups your speed and slightly shrinks the hitbox. I think the HuCard is New, because of the intro tune that plays before the 1st stage BGM (not present in Old).

blueraven

Ninja Warriors, Neutopia, and TaleSpin.

Having fun with teh hueycardo

munchiaz

Played a good amount of Cho Aniki yesterday. Made it to the end boss (i think) but couldn't beat it. Then had to put the game down to watch the KOF XIV finals at SCR

cccmar

Out Live and Kihou Hisei XSERD - I'm trying out Japan exclusives I've never tried before for fun. XSERD is very similar to the recently translate Vixen 357 on SMD (in fact, I believe it is a prequel of sorts), so it's alright. Out Live... well, if you enjoy dungeon crawlers it is sorta interesting, if only because it is a) the first game by Sunsoft on the PC-Engine and b) it's a mech dungeon crawler.

MNKyDeth

I think I am on the 4th map maybe 5th map on Vasteel. Trying to play in my spare time. Knock it out for can pcefx beat the games thread.

Galder

Bloody wooooolf! *howls* Pure arcade entertainment!

Ayce

Just had a good time playing through Splatterhouse Chrome.

esteban

PukeSter

Quote from: esteban on 10/30/2016, 06:35 AMChrome?
The only PC engine rom hack (not counting translations)

Adds the meat cleaver from the arcade and switches around some stuff. I've never played it though

esteban

Quote from: guest on 10/30/2016, 08:13 AM
Quote from: esteban on 10/30/2016, 06:35 AMChrome?
The only PC engine rom hack (not counting translations)

Adds the meat cleaver from the arcade and switches around some stuff. I've never played it though
Oh, yes, I remember a small discussion on this (Bonknuts suggested that the hack simply uses existing assets--sprite animations--and doesn't introduce any new frames of animation). STILL, it sounds very interesting. I will have to check it out one of these... years... :)

seieienbu

Played through Dracula X and The Adams Family in honor of Halloween.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Gypsy

turbobs: Genji Tsushin Agedama

Non-turbobs: Beat Thunder Force III and D&D Tower of Doom. Dug out an IA-100 processor and I've been playing a lot of Strikers 1945 II and DoDonPachi in Tate mode without having to put a tv on its side. It is glorious. Strikers 1945 2nd loop is NUTS.

LETMEINPLEASE

Played all of Last Alert, took me a while to realize you got new guns  :oops:  I like it tho, not the best, but deff. much worse out there

GoldenWheels

I keep trying to play Break-In, because I kind of like pool games. I keep turning it off pretty fast.

Gypsy

Quote from: GoldenWheels on 11/05/2016, 10:26 AMI keep trying to play Break-In, because I kind of like pool games. I keep turning it off pretty fast.
I had a similar experience with this game.  :lol:

esteban

Quote from: Gypsy on 11/05/2016, 01:19 PM
Quote from: GoldenWheels on 11/05/2016, 10:26 AMI keep trying to play Break-In, because I kind of like pool games. I keep turning it off pretty fast.
I had a similar experience with this game.  :lol:
Hhahahha! This should be the blurb on the poster for Break-In :)

gheebee

Haven't played any TG16/PCE in a while but today my friend was over and we played a game of Monster Lair. It was cool playing as the alternate character and seeing all of the additional powerups that appear for her without just starting the game in 2 player mode and letting the first player die off in the first level. The added items you can only get by jumping off of the head of the other player and the fact that you need to cooperate for that and to make sure neither life bar runs out also definitely added to the fun. When it started up they commented on how sharp the image looked and it was nice to see someone else appreciate the S-Video mod, especially since the last time we played on the Duo was before I had the mod done.

esteban

Quote from: gheebee on 11/06/2016, 01:02 AMHaven't played any TG16/PCE in a while but today my friend was over and we played a game of Monster Lair. It was cool playing as the alternate character and seeing all of the additional powerups that appear for her without just starting the game in 2 player mode and letting the first player die off in the first level. The added items you can only get by jumping off of the head of the other player and the fact that you need to cooperate for that and to make sure neither life bar runs out also definitely added to the fun. When it started up they commented on how sharp the image looked and it was nice to see someone else appreciate the S-Video mod, especially since the last time we played on the Duo was before I had the mod done.
Always loved the co-op :)

SoulflySolid

I've started Valis 3 for the first time. I'm enjoying it, even though it can be a bit frustrating at times. For example, the sliding is kind of awkward, especially when you're supposed to slide between platforms. Bosses are super easy so far. Overall I'm enjoying it, and I like the story and cutscenes. Voice acting is charmingly bad as always.

esteban

Quote from: SoulflySolid on 11/06/2016, 04:20 PMI've started Valis 3 for the first time. I'm enjoying it, even though it can be a bit frustrating at times. For example, the sliding is kind of awkward, especially when you're supposed to slide between platforms. Bosses are super easy so far. Overall I'm enjoying it, and I like the story and cutscenes. Voice acting is charmingly bad as always.
Thankfully, the sliding is *extremely generous*, and you don't have to be pixel perfect to complete most slides. The standing-->sliding animation is a little wonky, allowing apparently "impossible" maneuvers.

:)

I consider this an epic TG-16 experience. Sure, some levels are average/uninspired, but overall, a really fun game.

benjiedude

I keep finding myself going back to Zonk.

nopepper

Quote from: gheebee on 11/06/2016, 01:02 AMHaven't played any TG16/PCE in a while but today my friend was over and we played a game of Monster Lair. It was cool playing as the alternate character and seeing all of the additional powerups that appear for her without just starting the game in 2 player mode and letting the first player die off in the first level. The added items you can only get by jumping off of the head of the other player and the fact that you need to cooperate for that and to make sure neither life bar runs out also definitely added to the fun. When it started up they commented on how sharp the image looked and it was nice to see someone else appreciate the S-Video mod, especially since the last time we played on the Duo was before I had the mod done.
Never played co-op in this game, but that sounds awesome, so I need to give it a try.

I'm currently playing Download, which is another one of those great shooters that really define the PCE for me. Too bad that the game is kind of a cakewalk after you crack it, having some incredibly obvious safe spots in some of the "harder" sections. Having said that, the last boss is always challenging, although it might be because I haven't studied it as much as the rest of the game.

Love the PCE's idiosyncratic shooters, such as Lost Sunheart and this one!

DragonmasterDan

I spent about 90 minutes playing Alien Crush yesterday.
--DragonmasterDan

Gypsy

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 11/08/2016, 11:00 AMI spent about 90 minutes playing Alien Crush yesterday.
An excellent choice.

jtucci31

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: guest on 11/09/2016, 05:14 PM
Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 11/08/2016, 11:00 AMI spent about 90 minutes playing Alien Crush yesterday.
High score?
Yeah, but it doesn't save it and I didn't track what it was. I've not had as long of a play of it in the past few days. I did spend about 45 minutes on a game of Devil's Crush today though.
--DragonmasterDan

airzonkrulz

45 minutes playing US Raiden HuCard today + 30 minutes playing US Bomberman 93 HuCard - had a blast!

Gypsy

Not turbob: Guardian Force. I am becoming addicted to this game. The controls took some getting used to, but actually changing them so that the shoulder buttons move the turret was a game changer for me. This game is really fun.

airzonkrulz

Spent an hour and fifteen minutes with Terra Cresta II last evening - such a challenging game - but a lot of fun --best wishes