10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Introducing myself and Turbo Views......

Started by ChrisBucci, 01/05/2009, 02:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisBucci

IMG

Hi gang,

First of all, I've been a longtime lurker here and recently joined so I could take part in some of the conversations.  I just wanted to introduce myself and say hello.

So.......hi, I'm Chris Bucci and yes, I'm a TurboGrafx-16 addict. 

I had the system as a kid and it pretty much has become my favorite nostalgic console.  I scooped up games whenever I could in the early 90s and have since become a collector, I guess you could say.   Special thanks to all the great posts and information that you guys have put on this forum.  I have learned so much more than I ever thought possible reading through this place.

Second of all, I decided to dust-off the ole' TurboGrafx collection for the winter.  As I played through the games, I recorded the footage and decided to do short reviews of each game.  Someone asked that I post them onto YouTube and I started to.  I met some really great people as a result.  Since people seemed to enjoy them, I thought I would continue and just wanted to pass the link along to you guys here.  I'd love to share them with you as well.  If you're interested, here's my Playlist at YouTube for them and I'm planning to keep on going so make sure to subscribe:
The TurboViews YouTube Channel
The PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16 TurboViews Facebook Group

Thanks for letting me be a part of the forum and have a Happy New Year  :dance:
Sincerely,
Chris B.

TR0N

I've been watching your videos lately and the reviews are good. You make sense and I can understand what you're are talking about compared to other reviewers I've seen for the TG16 on Youtube, though I won't mention their names. :P Any ways keep up the good work.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Keranu

Welcome aboard, HAR, HAAARRR, HAAAAAARRRRRR!

I decided to check out your YouTube page and was expecting some typical millenium, Virtual Console style video reviews. Of course being the world's biggest J.J. & Jeff defender, I decided to watch that one. Needless to say, my negative expectations quickly vanished! Fantastic work dude, very well done! I love the opening and ending screens - very early 90's TV-ish (which is a great thing, in my opinion). I was also relieved to see that you actually understood what makes J.J. & Jeff the brilliant game it actually is instead of immediately trashing it like most people do because they're turned off by the humor and Super Mario style control physics.

Good job on the editing too, I really like the appropriate zooming in parts and manual scans. Look forward to watching more reviews, keep up the good work!
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

Tatsujin

yeas..welcome aboard and n-joz teh foeums. nice revs you did there. respect is due :)
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

ChrisBucci

Thanks for the kind words guys.  Obviously these are personal "reviews" so we're not always going to agree.  But, I try to be very comprehensive (in the short amount of time I have) and very detailed as to WHY I feel a certain way about a game. 

That way, at least you know where I'm coming from.......and I don't just say "Eh, this sucks."   [-(
Ugh, I hate that.

I wish I had more time to polish them and do some on-camera stuff and show more......but alas, full-time-job woes always get in the way of the fun stuff. 

Thanks again for watching!
Chris

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: Keranu on 01/05/2009, 06:24 AMWelcome aboard, HAR, HAAARRR, HAAAAAARRRRRR!

I decided to check out your YouTube page and was expecting some typical millenium, Virtual Console style video reviews. Of course being the world's biggest J.J. & Jeff defender, I decided to watch that one. Needless to say, my negative expectations quickly vanished! Fantastic work dude, very well done! I love the opening and ending screens - very early 90's TV-ish (which is a great thing, in my opinion). I was also relieved to see that you actually understood what makes J.J. & Jeff the brilliant game it actually is instead of immediately trashing it like most people do because they're turned off by the humor and Super Mario style control physics.

Good job on the editing too, I really like the appropriate zooming in parts and manual scans. Look forward to watching more reviews, keep up the good work!
Welcome aboard! Love the reviews, too! :)

I just watched the JJ and Jeff review and I'm finally going to pick this sucker up. It really does look like fun even if it isn't/wasn't groundbreaking in terms of gameplay. Which should I pick up, the PCE or TG16 port?
IMG
"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

NecroPhile

Welcome aboard.  Nice reviews; it's good to hear that someone else enjoys Splash Lake as much as I do (or even more so, as it sounds).
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

gat

Just watched some reviews! Nice!!

nectarsis

Welcome to the nuthouse :)  Keep up the reviews, decent stuff there ;)
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:
blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436

Lord Thag

Welcome! I'll check out your reviews when I get home. No Youtube at work  :|
Dodging little white bullets since the Carter administration

termis

Hey, welcome to the forums! 

I gotta say, those reviews are done really nicely.  Awesome!

MotherGunner

Hi Chris !  I watched all your reviews on youtube.   Nice to see you join us.  I especially enjoyed the Shockman review even though you couldn't pronounce shbibbin..er  shubbininin?  er shubizzle my nizzle?....yea...

Welcome man  =)
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

_Paul

Nice to see you arrived here!

Don't forget folks, all Chris's reviews are put up on my site as well as soon as I know about them :)

spenoza

Loved seeing the Splash Lake review. That game is highly under-appreciated.

rag-time4

Chris, you should consider posting in the high score thread! Looks like the JJ and Jeff scores you had going in your review were more than respectable!

So far the JJ and Jeff review is the only one I've seen, but I really enjoyed it!

Ceti Alpha

I just went through the whole lot of the Turbo reviews and loved them all. I remember watching the Terraforming review last year and wanting more. heh Splash Lake looks surprisingly fun.

I'm curious to see what you have to say about Super Mario Galaxy. I've never played this game, so it's still somewhat of a mystery to me.
IMG

ChrisBucci

Thanks for all your support and encouragement gang.  I'm really having fun making them and it's something I've always wanted to do (I almost did back in 2000 when I dusted the system off the last time......then there was hardly ANYTHING online for the Turbo). 

I might need some of your help in the future possibly.  I went through the list and there are definitely about 20 games that I will not be reviewing, mainly because they are of a sport or theme that I'm not confident enough in.   So, might need some guest reviewers sendin' in some scripts.   :)

Thanks again!

MotherGunner

Quote from: spida1a on 01/07/2009, 09:58 PMThanks for all your support and encouragement gang.  I'm really having fun making them and it's something I've always wanted to do (I almost did back in 2000 when I dusted the system off the last time......then there was hardly ANYTHING online for the Turbo). 

I might need some of your help in the future possibly.  I went through the list and there are definitely about 20 games that I will not be reviewing, mainly because they are of a sport or theme that I'm not confident enough in.   So, might need some guest reviewers sendin' in some scripts.   :)

Thanks again!
Chris that is a fine idea.  Are there any games you don't own ?  Can you talk a little about your process for video capture ? How long it takes to put together one review ?  Maybe a list of upcoming titles ?
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

geddon_jt

Just my 2 cents. I think your reviews are top notch - keep them coming. It's obvious you connect with the things that make these games really special. Keep it up! =D&gt; =D&gt;

geise

I don't know why, but I have always passed on Splash Lake.  Which is funny cause even to this day I have always been curious about.  I just have never gotten around to it.  Hell I haven't even seen the game in motion till seeing your wonderful review of it.  Now I want to track down a copy to buy and play.  These reviews are great!  Thank you so much for sharing.

ChrisBucci

Quote from: geise on 01/12/2009, 07:55 PMI don't know why, but I have always passed on Splash Lake.  Which is funny cause even to this day I have always been curious about.  I just have never gotten around to it.  Hell I haven't even seen the game in motion till seeing your wonderful review of it.  Now I want to track down a copy to buy and play.  These reviews are great!  Thank you so much for sharing.
I think you'll really like it.  I always really enjoyed it (and I "never" thought I would back in the day......you know?).  Thanks for watching and for your compliments.  They mean a lot!!

ChrisBucci

Quote from: geddon_jt on 01/12/2009, 07:12 PMJust my 2 cents. I think your reviews are top notch - keep them coming. It's obvious you connect with the things that make these games really special. Keep it up! =D&gt; =D&gt;
Thanks so much!  I really enjoy doing them.  It's been a fun winter project (both getting to hibernate at home and play Turbo again AND share the reviews).  :)

ChrisBucci

Quote from: MotherGunner on 01/07/2009, 11:02 PMChris that is a fine idea.  Are there any games you don't own ?  Can you talk a little about your process for video capture ?  How long it takes to put together one review ?  Maybe a list of upcoming titles ?
Hey, thanks for your kind words!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   I really appreciate them.  I'll try to answer a few of your questions really quick.

The only US released game I believe I'm missing is Might and Magic III.  I have a manual though, SIGH!   Anyone have an extra ?  :)

It takes me a while to put a review together.  I start, obviously, by playing the game.  As I play, I capture the footage onto a Digital-8 Tape (to preserve the analogue signal the best that I can).  Then I capture scenes into my computer and as I do I make notes on a Word document of things I really want to make sure to mention.  Then I do a little research to see if the game has an angle I can take in the review, unless I already know it (then I still do research to make sure I'm not full of crap), write the script, do the read and then do the edit.  I really try to be extremely thorough and represent the game as best as I can based on how I feel about the game.  As an "anal" editor professionally, I try to keep things in check and NOT kill myself on them (I could literally do a thousand more things with them than I do and I have to say "okay, it's done, let's move on or else you'll never get to the next one)."  You know ?   ;)

Two are in the works now.........Dungeon Explorer II and.....Darkwing Duck.  Oh, I can't wait to do that second one.  I JUST beat it on NORMAL mode FINALLY (after trashing my controller).  LOL!

Thanks again!
Chris

geise

Sorry I used to have a mint copy, but sold it to a former member of this forum.  If I still had it I would sell it again.  I didn't sell it for much either.  I like "helping" the turbo community like you do with your fine reviews.  :)  Sorry I can't help you finish your collection.

Alt-PyschoNintega

You got awesome reviews. Subbed to your channel days ago. I am SAGAIA2 on YT.
IMG

gat

ChrisBucci

Quote from: Nintega on 01/13/2009, 02:09 PMYou got awesome reviews. Subbed to your channel days ago. I am SAGAIA2 on YT.
Hey, thanks so much!  I try.  :) :)

ChrisBucci

Quote from: gat on 01/14/2009, 02:25 PMGive us an RPG review!!!  [-o&lt;
I gotta' be honest, I'm not the "best" at RPG's (unless they're something like Ys or Neutopia, something a little more action-based).  I'll probably need some help reviewing stuff like Cosmic Fantasy 2.

Although........I just put up my Dungeon Explorer II review.......that has some RPG in it.  :)

geddon_jt

Another awesome review. I concur with your sentiments totally. DE2 is an awesome game, definitely some of the best cinematics on the system too.

You know, your review style almost reminds me of Rick Steves' Europe on the Travel Channel. Your narration style is strangely similar, you're just talking games instead of European sightseeing. LOL

TR0N

Quote from: spida1a on 01/19/2009, 05:05 PM
Quote from: gat on 01/14/2009, 02:25 PMGive us an RPG review!!!  [-o&lt;
I gotta' be honest, I'm not the "best" at RPG's (unless they're something like Ys or Neutopia, something a little more action-based).  I'll probably need some help reviewing stuff like Cosmic Fantasy 2.

Although........I just put up my Dungeon Explorer II review.......that has some RPG in it.  :)
Cool i just watched your (DE2) review great stuff there.You cover it's pro and cons even if it is more of a update it's still a solid sequel.

I left a reponse on that video all ready i'm progearspec on youtube.
IMG

Jared4781

just checked out all the reviews .. they were great! glad to see someone putting some time and effort into reviewing some Turbo games.
always looking to buy mint turbo games. hit me up if you've got some!

Ceti Alpha

Spida1a, you're pinball game room is most drool worthy. I was showing my brother, who is a big pinball fan, and he was blown away as well.  8) I loved the video of you opening up the Big Bang Bar.  =D&gt;
IMG

ChrisBucci

Quote from: geddon_jt on 01/19/2009, 09:52 PMAnother awesome review. I concur with your sentiments totally. DE2 is an awesome game, definitely some of the best cinematics on the system too.

You know, your review style almost reminds me of Rick Steves' Europe on the Travel Channel. Your narration style is strangely similar, you're just talking games instead of European sightseeing. LOL
LOL!  Thanks! 

You know, I just reviewed one of my "least" favorite games on the system (Darkwing Duck) and uploaded it to YouTube.  And it's funny........I found myself getting really MAD as I read the script.  I almost turned into the Angry Videogame Nerd.  Amazing how a bad game can do that to you!   :)

ChrisBucci

Quote from: ceti alpha on 01/21/2009, 12:45 PMSpida1a, you're pinball game room is most drool worthy. I was showing my brother, who is a big pinball fan, and he was blown away as well.  8) I loved the video of you opening up the Big Bang Bar.  =D&gt;
Hey, thanks.  I'm hoping in the spring when I dust off the games a bit (and can get to them........they're in a temporarily different place right now) that I can do a few more reviews of them.  :)

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: spida1a on 02/03/2009, 06:57 AM
Quote from: geddon_jt on 01/19/2009, 09:52 PMAnother awesome review. I concur with your sentiments totally. DE2 is an awesome game, definitely some of the best cinematics on the system too.

LOL!  Thanks! 

You know, I just reviewed one of my "least" favorite games on the system (Darkwing Duck) and uploaded it to YouTube.  And it's funny........I found myself getting really MAD as I read the script.  I almost turned into the Angry Videogame Nerd.  Amazing how a bad game can do that to you!   :)
I've never played Darkwing Duck, but you're not the only one to give it a thumbs down. I look forward to watching you get frustrated....not that I get off on other people's pain.... 8-[
IMG

TR0N

When i watch your darkwing duck review spida i thought you would pull a avgn.

Since you did cuss a bit in it  :wink: :lol:
IMG

Platinumfungi

Excellent job on these reviews Spida! Keep it up. I watched them all  :D
IMG

JoshTurboTrollX

With the risk of sounding like a kiss ass, I'd like to say thanks Spida for these awesome reviews!!

Its like Finally we have a voice with some quality reviews on the net.

In by that I mean, someone that I can totally compare to AVGN, or that Irate Gamer or anyone else!

Thanks!!
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Keranu

Yeah it's nice to have a true old skool gamer who can review a Turbo game and truly know what the hell he is saying, unlike all those VC n00bs.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

Platinumfungi

Quote from: Keranu on 02/24/2009, 12:16 AMYeah it's nice to have a true old skool gamer who can review a Turbo game and truly know what the hell he is saying, unlike all those VC n00bs.
I second that. Spida, you're doing a very professional job with these. Way ,way, way better then pretty much any review I've ever watched on youtube. Your reviews are a great addition to the NEC community  =D&gt;
IMG

Duo_R

I really dig the videos, can u put an ending spoiler alert tho? I mean so far no harm with the games reviewed, but I don't wanna watch a good ending by accident.

I really dig your videos tho and can't wait to see more! How about some shooters?
Add my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/sOg93QUtlg0
For sale trade list: https://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

TR0N

Bump! Well spida latest review is up though this time he reviews the,pce version of ninja gaiden.
IMG

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: TR0N on 03/08/2009, 12:43 AMBump! Well spida latest review is up though this time he reviews the,pce version of ninja gaiden.
And a great review as always.
IMG

Duo_R

Review to one of my favorite games! I bought this game not long ago (I always wanted this version) but I could not find a in-depth review. Thanks a ton for adding that for others that are interested.

Also - just for fun you should record Ryu when you flip an Avenue 6 controller into 6 button mode. You can ninja moonwalk!

TR0N

I wasn't expecting this but spida has another review up all ready.
Aero Blasters
IMG

Duo_R

Nice Aeroblasters review! I just bought that game last week but I think ur review is spot on! Any thoughts of doing a Genesis VS Turbo comparison review?

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: Duo_R on 03/10/2009, 04:22 AMNice Aeroblasters review! I just bought that game last week but I think ur review is spot on! Any thoughts of doing a Genesis VS Turbo comparison review?
Who doesn't love a good comparison review?  :mrgreen:
IMG

jperryss

Monster Lair review is now up also.

TR0N

Quote from: jperryss on 03/10/2009, 01:30 PMMonster Lair review is now up also.
That was quick too i watch it eariler in the day.He,is spot on for the review on monster lair though i sure like it's ost more compare to the arcade version.
IMG

ChrisBucci