10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

I can't believe how dirty this is...

Started by twor2005, 07/26/2005, 04:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twor2005

My original SNES I mean  :)

I've replaced it but still I hate to see a system go down and stay down. Any suggestions on how to clean the connectors? Is there anything else I should do? It will play games but sometimes they will just stop. I hope its just dirty connectors anyway.

Dark Fact

I would suggest using a soft, slightly damp cloth to clean your connectors with.  Of course, you could also try blowing if you're in a rush. :wink:

If you don't have a soft, slightly damp cloth to clean your connectors with, I would suggest picking up this little gem:

IMG

It should help you get your games back up and running. :wink:

Of course, since it's out of print, your best bet is look at an online auction.  There is one for the kit here

And don't use any solvents or other cleaners, it can and will damage the circuitry completely and will turn your cartridges into makeshift coasters.
homepage2.nifty.com/tkdate/ysmusic/screen/graphic/Win_CP_THE_LAST.jpg
Sorry, but I don't see your library card on the books of Ys.  Now, RETURN THEM TO ME!!!

GUTS

You need a kit for the cartridge slot, don't try anything else or you'll fuck it up.  For the cartridges use windex or rubbing alchohol and just roll up a paper towel so you can scrub them real good.

Dark Fact

Windex? Rubbing alcohol? Wouldn't you damage the connectors with those?
Sorry, but I don't see your library card on the books of Ys.  Now, RETURN THEM TO ME!!!

PCEngineHell

Quote from: GUTS on 11/23/2006, 02:22 PMYou need a kit for the cartridge slot, don't try anything else or you'll fuck it up.  For the cartridges use windex or rubbing alchohol and just roll up a paper towel so you can scrub them real good.
Alcohol is fine for cleaning metal contacts,windex is not. Windex has chemicals that speed up oxidization in metals,thus ruining them. Windex will also cause oxidization in the plastics used to make cds and dvds and laser disc,so its not recomended to use it on those either.

As for the system:
Take a toothbrush you dont need. Drench it in alcohol,and scrub the cart slot contacts out with it,and then blow it out with a air can,then do it all over again.
Eventually it shoudl start working fine.

If not,and you want to do a tad more extreme process,take the system apart,if you have the required bit,and place the pcb in the dish washer,if your waters not too hard. It will get it very clean. Youll have to set up a oscliating fan aimed at it for around  a day to let it dry,every now and then hitting it with a blast of air from a air dryer helps too.

I do this with arcade pcbs,and MVS systems and it works pretty much every time.

motdelbuort

I can't believe you guys are still responding to this  =D>

I've lost my old handle, got a new one, and moved across the country leaving the SNES behind since making the OP.

Keranu

Quote from: motdelbuort on 11/26/2006, 09:20 PMI can't believe you guys are still responding to this  =D>

I've lost my old handle, got a new one, and moved across the country leaving the SNES behind since making the OP.
Hahaha  :lol: .
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

PCEngineHell

Quote from: motdelbuort on 11/26/2006, 09:20 PMI can't believe you guys are still responding to this  =D>

Others could use the tips. I never even looked to see who started the thread.

Dark Fact

Jesus Christ! The day that thread started was on July 26, 2005, not 2006 as I thought! #-o

Oh well...hope I was helpful anyway. :P

Keranu

Haha, I didn't realize that 2005 either! I just thought we were a few months late, which would be late enough!
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG

Dark Fact

I guess that's to be expected when you look at threads 7-8 pages back.  You only pay attention to the thread title and the message, not the date. :P

CrackTiger

You don't need a kit to clean the system's pins, just clean a cart(using Isopropanol. I think that Isopropyl(I don't know the difference) 99%/Rubbing Alcohol works fine as well) and plug it in and out a few times and clean it again if you need to.

All the kits I've seen just do the same thing, but can leave pieces of rubber that won't come off as easy as gunk.

Also, you can clean a Turbo/PCE using a HuCard. Which is nice since Turbografx cleaning kits were rare even at the height of the system(I still have a universal kit with Turbo cleaner).

Keith Courage increases it's greatness even further when it doubles as a cleaning kit.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

PCEngineHell

Quote from: guest on 11/29/2006, 07:09 PMYou don't need a kit to clean the system's pins, just clean a cart(using Isopropanol. I think that Isopropyl(I don't know the difference) 99%/Rubbing Alcohol works fine as well) and plug it in and out a few times and clean it again if you need to.

All the kits I've seen just do the same thing, but can leave pieces of rubber that won't come off as easy as gunk.

Also, you can clean a Turbo/PCE using a HuCard. Which is nice since Turbografx cleaning kits were rare even at the height of the system(I still have a universal kit with Turbo cleaner).

Keith Courage increases it's greatness even further when it doubles as a cleaning kit.
I use that method to clean gameboy systems and Nintendo 64. It works pretty damn well. Air cans too.

Keranu

Quote from: guest on 11/29/2006, 07:09 PMKeith Courage increases it's greatness even further when it doubles as a cleaning kit.
YES! Thank you for giving me a new reason to keep my Keith Courage card!
IMG

CrackTiger

Quote from: Keranu on 11/29/2006, 10:10 PM
Quote from: CrackTiger on 11/29/2006, 07:09 PMKeith Courage increases it's greatness even further when it doubles as a cleaning kit.
YES! Thank you for giving me a new reason to keep my Keith Courage card!
Like you were ever going to get rid of it.

Like you don't read the comic book on a regular basis.  :wink:
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

PCEngineHell

Man that comic really sucked ass too.

Keranu

Quote from: guest on 11/30/2006, 08:15 AMLike you were ever going to get rid of it.
So true :( .

Quote from: Black_PantherLike you don't read the comic book on a regular basis.  :wink:
Dude I don't even have the comic, I wish I did! I've read it before online, but I haven't bothered to buy a complete version of Keith Courage yet for the $3 or so.
IMG

CrackTiger

Quote from: Keith_Courage on 11/30/2006, 05:26 PM
Quote from: CrackTiger on 11/30/2006, 08:15 AMLike you were ever going to get rid of it.
So true :( .

Quote from: Black_PantherLike you don't read the comic book on a regular basis.  :wink:
Dude I don't even have the comic, I wish I did! I've read it before online, but I haven't bothered to buy a complete version of Keith Courage yet for the $3 or so.
So it's true!

I don't know if I have a copy of the comic with any of my KC copies, I think a couple are still in TG-16 system boxes. If I manage to take a look before I forget and I can't find one... I may actually purchase the game on eBay.  :P

Dark Fact

Just out of curiosity, is the Keith Courage comic an american drawn comic or a translated japanese manga? I know there is a Keith Courage TV series that only aired in japan as WATARU.

CrackTiger

Quote from: Dark Fact on 12/04/2006, 01:53 AMJust out of curiosity, is the Keith Courage comic an american drawn comic or a translated japanese manga? I know there is a Keith Courage TV series that only aired in japan as WATARU.
Its a super americanzed comic that has nothing to do with Wataru. There were also american style Bonk & Splatterhouse 2 page comic ads that ran in U.S. comics at the time.