@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Jeeeezus nintendo, what the hell?

Started by GUTS, 12/06/2006, 04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GUTS

I was just looking at Wii prices online decided whether or not I want to get one, and holy FUCK the prices for this stuff are insane.  $40 for a damn remote, and you have to buy the nunchuck thingy seperately for another $20, so it's $60 for a god damn controller?  Plus you have to buy component cables seperately for another $25, and a damn memory card for like $60 since that 512 memory is jack shit.  What a crock, wasn't the Wii supposed to be all cheap since it's technology is older than dirt?  That new Mario game better be DAMNED good to justify the price tag on all this crap when it comes out or else this system is going to be dead in a year.

td741

Quote from: GUTS on 12/06/2006, 04:06 PMAnd a damn memory card for like $60 since that 512 memory is jack shit.
You can just use any old el-cheapo Memory card...  Granted, I haven't used one yet anyway.

I'm annoyed at some of th eother prices.

Keranu

Quote from: GUTS on 12/06/2006, 04:06 PMI was just looking at Wii prices online decided whether or not I want to get one, and holy FUCK the prices for this stuff are insane.  $40 for a damn remote, and you have to buy the nunchuck thingy seperately for another $20, so it's $60 for a god damn controller?  Plus you have to buy component cables seperately for another $25, and a damn memory card for like $60 since that 512 memory is jack shit.  What a crock, wasn't the Wii supposed to be all cheap since it's technology is older than dirt?  That new Mario game better be DAMNED good to justify the price tag on all this crap when it comes out or else this system is going to be dead in a year.
I am dissapointed with the controller price as well, though after finding out that 360 and PS3 controllers are like $50, it's not as bad as I thought, but still retardedly expensive (that nunchuck had to have cost $2 at most to make). Don't be so concerned about an extra nunchuck for now though because I think you'll be fine for now only having the one included with the system, though it would be nice to play 2 player boxing.

As far as memory goes, if you have a SD card in your house like one you use for a digital camera, you can use that and things should be cool.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

CrackTiger

What about Microsoft's multimedia remote control?

The price has come down, but it's still as much as a Microsoft pad and it's only infra red. So unless you can get a clear shot at the system, it ain't doing nothin!

The Microsoft pads are as little as $40 Canadian brand new around here, so it really depends where you shop.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

SignOfZeta

The Wii isn't cheap, its just not stupidly expensive like the stuff from MS and Sony right now. I think Wavebirds were $40 when they came out, maybe $35, I can't remember.

Either way I don't think you will need to buy any controllers for Mario since its likely to be a 1 player game, and I don't even know what the SD cards are even used for aside from transporting preferences and stuff. It would take a shitload of Virtual Console games to fill up the 512MB. That's like...every PC Engine game ever made, isn't it?

If you don't like it, don't buy it. Its a fuck of a lot cheaper in real dollars that anything NEC ever released.
IMG

grahf

You dont need an SD card yet. And when you do, they are dirt cheap. I got a 1GB SD card from walmart for $13 on sale.
I will say the picture viewer is badass, especially the slideshow. I pulled the SD from my camera to show people the pics from my recent trip.

I'll agree that the system should have came with both A/V and component cables, or at least A/V and S-Video. That said, I did buy the component cables because ive got a 50" hdtv. Damn it.
PS3 doesnt come with an HDMI cable either from what i hear, but then again those are only a few bucks.

I think the prices for the controllers are semi-fair. The remote is worth the $40, considering whats inside. The nunchuck is only worth $10 at most. At least you dont really need a nunchuck for a lot of games, so i'll probably just buy an extra remote.

Keranu

Quote from: grahf on 12/06/2006, 09:19 PMYou dont need an SD card yet. And when you do, they are dirt cheap. I got a 1GB SD card from walmart for $13 on sale.
I will say the picture viewer is badass, especially the slideshow. I pulled the SD from my camera to show people the pics from my recent trip.
Yeah the Picture channel thing is pretty cool. I pulled the SD card right out of my camera and was able to view pictures and videos right on the Wii, not to mention the simple, but nice editing features it gives you. The painting program in it is pretty fun to use also and it gives me a good idea of how the new Bob Ross game for Wii is going to play :D . Oh and can't forget about the jigsaw puzzle game!
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG

GUTS

That's cool, I didn't know you could use any memory card.  I assume those stupid ass PSP memory cards don't work though since sony is retarded with their formats, I just bought a 1 gig for that.

And yeah controllers are getting stupidly expensive, I thought it was outrageous when sony and microsoft charged $50 for a wireless, but $60 is just insane.  For my money the Wavebird is still the best wireless controller out there, I've never had problems with delayed button presses like I do with my 360 controller, I just wish the GC controller wasn't so badly designed.

Seldane

The Wii is definitely ridiculously overpriced. Yesterday's hardware - now MORE expensive than today's hardware!

In fact, considering the weak (WEAK) hardware, the Wii is probably the most expensive console ever (excluding joke systems like Atari Jaguar and Philips CD-i).

Is the Wii more expensive than X0 in North America? It is here, anyway (X0=360 dollars, Wii=410 dollars). That's just insane. Makes me want to buy an X0 just out of spite. I'll never buy anything from Nintendo again.
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG
Indeed, it's AV time. Check out: IMG! Sir, the door was open.

PCEngineHell

Keranu

Quote from: Seldane on 12/07/2006, 07:59 AMThe Wii is definitely ridiculously overpriced. Yesterday's hardware - now MORE expensive than today's hardware!

In fact, considering the weak (WEAK) hardware, the Wii is probably the most expensive console ever (excluding joke systems like Atari Jaguar and Philips CD-i).

Is the Wii more expensive than X0 in North America? It is here, anyway (X0=360 dollars, Wii=410 dollars). That's just insane. Makes me want to buy an X0 just out of spite. I'll never buy anything from Nintendo again.
Solution: Import from America or Japan :D .
IMG

GUTS

Its $250 here for a Wii versus $400 for the premium 360.  The weird thing is that Nintendo is managing to sell them as fast as they make them, although I wonder how long they can keep doing that once the hype dies down and people get sick of paying $50 for bad first person shooters and collections of minigames.  I just want that god damn mario game to hurry and come out, hopefully they don't fuck it up like Zelda by forcing you to use the remote thingy for everything..

CrackTiger

Quote from: GUTS on 12/07/2006, 02:53 PMIts $250 here for a Wii versus $400 for the premium 360.  The weird thing is that Nintendo is managing to sell them as fast as they make them, although I wonder how long they can keep doing that once the hype dies down and people get sick of paying $50 for bad first person shooters and collections of minigames.  I just want that god damn mario game to hurry and come out, hopefully they don't fuck it up like Zelda by forcing you to use the remote thingy for everything..
Remember when the DS launched with Mario 64 and there weren't many concrete quality titles in the pipleine that we'd heard about?

They could still fuck it up, but Nintendo can make a game and have it near ready to sell before we see anything of it. So in a few months we may be pleasantly surprised.

Also, once a system takes off(as the Wii seems to be), third parties start to make great stuff for it. Square Enix has like 20 games in the works for the DS now. And although developers were late coming to the Wii, since they underestimated it like the DS, the DS's success has at least got the big names scrambling to get some Wii games made asap.

There's already a Dragon Quest brand game for the Wii and the Japanese are crazier for the DS than the rest of the world and it looks the same with the Wii. So there should be lots of great Japanese developed titles soon enough.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Keranu

Quote from: GUTS on 12/07/2006, 02:53 PMIts $250 here for a Wii versus $400 for the premium 360.  The weird thing is that Nintendo is managing to sell them as fast as they make them, although I wonder how long they can keep doing that once the hype dies down and people get sick of paying $50 for bad first person shooters and collections of minigames.  I just want that god damn mario game to hurry and come out, hopefully they don't fuck it up like Zelda by forcing you to use the remote thingy for everything..
Bad first person shooters? Granted the only FPS I played on Wii was Red Steel, but in my opinion it's the best modern FPS to date because it's not the same cliche crap and it's a lot easier to control. I hate modern FPS games, but I was able to enjoy Red Steel because it made good changes for me. I can only expect the new Metroid Prime to be even better.

And what's wrong with mini-games  :-k ? Nintendo's plan was to make the Wii a system for everyone, so they can't just only make super complex games because old people or whomever just won't be able to get into it. And for me personally, I love simplistic games, hence my love for old Atari and Intellivision games, so simplicity = great in my book. The main reason why I don't really like new games is because they aren't simplisitic, so you can understand why a person like me is really excited about the Wii. :D

I think some anti-Nintendo people are just upset that the Wii is selling like crazy, to be honest. Not trying to start any flames, but one cannot deny the great attention Nintendo is getting for their new console. Is it just early hype? Perhaps, but with such a great start and comments about the system already (without the major titles even being out, not to mention), I think Nintendo is going to absolutely pull through with it.
IMG

CrackTiger

Quote from: Keranu on 12/07/2006, 06:38 PM
Bad first person shooters? Granted the only FPS I played on Wii was Red Steel, but in my opinion it's the best modern FPS to date because it's not the same cliche crap and it's a lot easier to control. I hate modern FPS games, but I was able to enjoy Red Steel because it made good changes for me. I can only expect the new Metroid Prime to be even better.

And what's wrong with mini-games  :-k ? Nintendo's plan was to make the Wii a system for everyone, so they can't just only make super complex games because old people or whomever just won't be able to get into it. And for me personally, I love simplistic games, hence my love for old Atari and Intellivision games, so simplicity = great in my book. The main reason why I don't really like new games is because they aren't simplisitic, so you can understand why a person like me is really excited about the Wii. :D

I think some anti-Nintendo people are just upset that the Wii is selling like crazy, to be honest. Not trying to start any flames, but one cannot deny the great attention Nintendo is getting for their new console. Is it just early hype? Perhaps, but with such a great start and comments about the system already (without the major titles even being out, not to mention), I think Nintendo is going to absolutely pull through with it.
Mini-games are what will get the non-gamer crowd that Nintendo's after.

Girls in particular(not butch, "I want to have it both ways", "the games I claim to love are sexist", 'gamer' girlrz) can't get enough of them and if they really do get seniors to play the Wii, mini-games are what will do it.

If someone's looking for FFXIII or Gears Of War, you can find them on other systems. Just as you won't find Final Fantasy or DOOM on the PC Engine.

But I wouldn't be surprised to see the next real DQ game on Wii(looking similar visually to the last one).

Emerald Rocker

QuoteMini-games are what will get the non-gamer crowd that Nintendo's after.
But is that what you want to play?

I mean, if it is, great, have fun.  But if not, then that's not really something to be happy about.  *Maybe* mini-games will sell to the non-gamer crowd and convince more developers to make real games.  Then again, *maybe* mini-games will sell to the non-gamer crowd and convince developers to make.... more mini-games.  Then again, maybe mini-games will sell to the gamers, and non-gamers will keep drinking beer at parties.
Official member of the PCEFX 4K Post Club

Keranu

Quote from: Emerald Rocker on 12/07/2006, 07:57 PMBut is that what you want to play?

I mean, if it is, great, have fun.  But if not, then that's not really something to be happy about.  *Maybe* mini-games will sell to the non-gamer crowd and convince more developers to make real games.  Then again, *maybe* mini-games will sell to the non-gamer crowd and convince developers to make.... more mini-games.  Then again, maybe mini-games will sell to the gamers, and non-gamers will keep drinking beer at parties.
Well according to "Reggie", their goal is to attract the non-gamers by making simple games like Wii Sports, Wii Play, Wario Ware, etc... and the "core" gamers by having the classic franchises such as Zelda, Mario, and Metroid. I'm not sure how well Reggie and the gang will be able to pull through with a goal like that, but I think they have done a decent job so far. To be honest with you though, I think the Wii is lacking in simplistic mini-games so far, so I hope they continue to come out with more games like Wii Sports.
IMG

CrackTiger

Quote from: Emerald Rocker on 12/07/2006, 07:57 PM
QuoteMini-games are what will get the non-gamer crowd that Nintendo's after.
But is that what you want to play?

I'm not really into mini-games. But I'm not a real 'gamer' either, I play PC Engine games.

The Wii isn't all mini-games either. The point is, there are people who like them and Nintendo is hoping to expand that market. There's nothing wrong with a system featuring more games of a more accessible genre when other systems are heavy on FPS's or hooker murdering simulators.

Nintendo isn't doing what Microsoft did and only targeting one group. They're just trying to get everybody and are offering new gaming possibilities on top of traditional games.

I think that it's a great idea to include mini-games as a bonus feature in 'regular' games. Hopefully the Wii will continue this trend that's been successful on DS. Most of the people I know who play DS spend at least as much time with the mini-games as the 'real' game. That doesn't mean that they aren't playing the real games, it just means that they're having more fun and getting more bang for their buck.

Which is kinda ironic for a system that can be percieved as the ultimate ripp-off of outdated technology with only added interactiveity.

Hobo Xiphas

What manufacturer is going to make a console targeted towards strategy RPGs?

I'd gladly pay 2006 adjusted AES prices for such an innovation\abomination!

Keranu

Quote from: Xiphas on 12/08/2006, 01:40 AMWhat manufacturer is going to make a console targeted towards strategy RPGs?

I'd gladly pay 2006 adjusted AES prices for such an innovation\abomination!
I would pay double the 2006 adjusted AES prices for a console designed by Sage's Creation with Sage's Creation-like ported games.
IMG

Seldane

Keranu needs to play Far Cry. It is impossible to not love it.
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG

Hobo Xiphas

Does the Xbox 360 version count?

That game is pretty silly.  But I'm not a first person shooter fan, really.

Keranu

Quote from: Seldane on 12/08/2006, 03:15 AMKeranu needs to play Far Cry. It is impossible to not love it.
I played just a tad bit on Xiphas' dad's 360. Can't say I was impressed, mainly because of the annoying analog control scheme, though I did enjoy the graphics. By the way, don't a lot of people diss on Far Cry because of the retarded AI?

For the record, the first person shooters I enjoy most are the older computer ones like Wolfenstein 3D, DOOM, Chex's Quest, etc... because it has that nice, easy aiming system along with stories that interests me more than the typical war or Halo shooter. Besides those classy style FPS', I can't really stand the modern version of the genre.
IMG

Seldane

Of course the X0 version doesn't count. You can't play an FPS with a controller, and the console versions are weaker than the original PC game. Far Cry rules! Crysis will rule more!

In-game screenshot, all the vegetation is destructible.

IMG
IMG