PCE, SNES and Genesis Screen Comparison.

Started by awack, 03/25/2009, 10:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

awack

Could have done a better job of matching the shots up but i got tired of playing.
The 4th picture down is inside a stomach.

pce, 8megs                                     snes, 12megs
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG

Tatsujin

the sfc genjin looks so pale. no good. so no good.
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

CrackTiger

I didn't realize that Super Bonk's giant Bonk was so tiny. Does the game support 2 player play? Aside from the size, I don't like how he was redrawn.

I've always wanted a Turbo Bonk with a fully shaded sprite, which Super Bonk actually does. But the colors make him look so gross. I also hoped with each Turbo sequal, that the bgs would have more shading, but for the most part the didn't make it work very well in Super Bonk. If ever there was a Turbo series that looks best in vibrant colors, it's Bonk.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

awack

QuoteI didn't realize that Super Bonk's giant Bonk was so tiny. Does the game support 2 player play? Aside from the size, I don't like how he was redrawn.
I'm pretty sure its only one player, i didn't see a two player option. Not only is the sprite larger as you can see but  it also has more frames for the walking animation.

I was looking for a game with a military theme for each system and came up with these two, 1941 and sonic wings, i keep neglecting the Genesis.

pcesgx, 1941 8megs                   snes, sonic wings 10megs
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG

CrackTiger

That's a cool comparison. I'm guessing that screenshot-wise, a side-by-side of the arcade versions would be pretty similar.

IMG IMG
IMG IMG
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Arkhan Asylum

alot of SNES games use drab colors.  I donno why.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: guest on 06/28/2009, 01:20 PMI didn't realize that Super Bonk's giant Bonk was so tiny. Does the game support 2 player play? Aside from the size, I don't like how he was redrawn.

I've always wanted a Turbo Bonk with a fully shaded sprite, which Super Bonk actually does. But the colors make him look so gross. I also hoped with each Turbo sequal, that the bgs would have more shading, but for the most part the didn't make it work very well in Super Bonk. If ever there was a Turbo series that looks best in vibrant colors, it's Bonk.
It's one player, though, if the game were on the Turbo, there are probably some things Super Bonk couldn't do if it had the Bonk 3 giant sprite.  One thing you can do later in the game, is play against all the bosses, & you can be tiny, normal, or huge.  Either way, I "might" be working on a Turbo version of that game, at the very least, I'm going to redo the music to give it more of a Bonk sound, but the colors will be brighter, & the spin.....FASTER! :D
IMG

CrackTiger

Maybe Hudson and/or RED weren't involved in the development of Super Bonk or something, but it's crazy how small the "big" Bonk is compared to Bonk 3, especially considering that the PCE game tosses around two of them at the same time.

IMG

It could be argued that it was to enhance the gameplay, but neither game seemed to have anything good for the giant Bonks to do and the 2 player option is still missing. I think that Bonk 3 on it's own is a good example of the PCE's sprite pushing power, but Super Bonk makes it look even more impressive. 8)

awack

keeping it simple, one shot of the main board and one of a bonus level.

pce                                               genesis
IMG IMG
IMG IMG

guyjin

The woman's face looks better in the Genny version, and the dragon might too, but I cant tell because the background in the bonus stage looks like it's glitched - like when a NES game is sort of working but not really. WTF!  [-(

Joe Redifer

The Genesis version is a bit too contrasty for me, but some things look better like many of the bonus stages.

TurboXray

Quote from: awack on 07/05/2009, 01:41 PMkeeping it simple, one shot of the main board and one of a bonus level.

pce                                               genesis
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
You're PCE pics look out of wack. Or is that because the chick's head is flashing?

Here's some I had on the hard drive:
pcedev.net/pics/915.png
pcedev.net/pics/916.png
pcedev.net/pics/917.png
pcedev.net/pics/918.png
pcedev.net/pics/919.png
pcedev.net/pics/920.png

Also:
pcedev.net/MD_DEV/DC_cmp.gif <-alternates between the Genesis and TG16 version.

awack

Yea, her head is flashing, i kept that screenshot because i think it shows allot of detail.

Let me ask every one something, which screen below do you think looks better? one is from Magicengine, the other is from Ootake, both are set to default settings.

Magicengine                                    Ootake
IMG IMG

Joe Redifer

That GIF is similar to one I created years and years ago:

joeredifer . com/reviews/devilscrush3.gif

CrackTiger

Quote from: awack on 07/05/2009, 09:35 PMMagicengine                                    Ootake
IMG IMG
The Ootake screen looks better on my crt monitor.

nat

Tatsujin

yeah..on a TFT, no markable difference can be seen. probably on a crt it's a different story.
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

spenoza

It looks a little different on my TFT. The Ootake screenshot is a little brighter. The colors are a tad more pronounced.

NecroPhile

The Ootake pic is noticeably more vibrant on both my CRT and LCD monitors.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

awack

Cool, i wanted to know which one people preferred more, i also think Ootake looks better, less saturated and brighter on default, its closer to my console + TV set up.

CrackTiger

Although I still have yet to put in the time to get into Might & Magic III for Turbo/Duo, the comparison in this thread left me eager to see what the Mega-CD version is like. I hoped that it would be similar to the Turbo/PCE version. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any definitive screen shots, copies for sale or even a working iso... until I finally found a copy on eBay recently. I also tried to take some screen shots from the unreleased Genesis cart version, but I can't figure out how to get the "battery save" feature working in either of the emulators I have and the game won't begin without it.

The first wave of pics compare console ports to the Amiga version and is followed by a comparison against the PC version.

The order is:

PCE                  SNES
MEGA-CD        AMIGA

IMGIMG
IMGIMG

IMGIMG
IMGIMG

IMG IMG
IMGIMG

IMG IMG
IMGIMG

IMG IMG
IMGIMG

IMGIMG
IMGIMG

Here are the only matching PC images I could find-

IMGIMG
IMGIMG

IMGIMG
IMGIMG

IMG IMG
IMGIMG

IMG IMG
IMGIMG

The Mega-CD version has quite a bit of animation, possibly more than the Turbo version. Something cool about it is that the back of the manual lists the music tracks on the disc, including "1. [Program]" and "2~15. Cast S.E." Instead of trying to sell you a separate soundtrack, they actually encourage you to use the game disc as a music CD. This is the exact same way I did up the back page of my translated Kabukiden manual back in the day. 8) It even lists the credits for the japanese CD music. I'm missing the manual for the PCE version, so I don't know if it also lists the music (The Turbo version doesn't).

I haven't compared the CD soundtracks yet, so I don't know if they're different.

esteban

Very nice series of pics, B_T; thanks for posting them here.

I have to say, the PCE certainly holds its own, based solely on these pics. The SNES version seems more likely to alter/change things, which does have some* nice moments (the town inn, or whatever it is, is cute in the SNES version, the close-up of the innkeeper's face in the SNES is nice, etc.).

Of course, as I mentioned a few dozen pages ago in this thread, the goblins in the SNES version are lame!

IMG
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Arkhan Asylum

Should compare the Amiga one.

We had a discussion about this once in a chatroom and concluded that the PCE one is THE best commercial release of the game overall.  We compared EVERY one.   

and then we made fun of the Amiga.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

awack

I have been trying to find shots of the sega CD version as well, very little info on that one.

Comparing these shots, i would rank the PC high color 1st, PC engine 2nd, Snes 3rd, PC low color 4th and sega CD last, the problem with the sega CD is the fact that the portraits take up colors that could be used for the bgs and enemy sprites, giving the whole thing a very low colored look.

In the snes port, the training ground looks poor compared to the pc engine (i think pc version too) which has a beautifully animated horse.

Tatsujin

wow..the MCD version looks like big shit.

Ceti Alpha

The PCE is definitely ahead on this one. There are only a couple shots where the SNES comes out on top. Anyway, nice pics B_T. Thanks.
IMG
"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

NecroPhile

The PCE version really looks good, even when compared to the PC versions; especially so with the goblins, which are pretty dull and forgettable in the PC and Mega-CD versions.

Quote from: Tatsujin on 07/08/2009, 11:56 PMwow..the MCD version looks like big shit.
Don't sugar coat it, Tatsujin.  Tell us how you really feel.  :lol:

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: guest on 07/09/2009, 09:49 AMThe PCE version really looks good, even when compared to the PC versions; especially so with the goblins, which are pretty dull and forgettable in the PC and Mega-CD versions.

Quote from: Tatsujin on 07/08/2009, 11:56 PMwow..the MCD version looks like big shit.
Don't sugar coat it, Tatsujin.  Tell us how you really feel.  :lol:
lolmax!! :lol: :lol:
IMG

awack

The major problem with the snes port, is the fact that it plays so much slower than the pce and i assume the pc and sega cd ports but the snes version does have very good music.

pce                                                             snes       
IMG IMG
IMG IMG

Arkhan Asylum

the SNES version suffers from SNES-itis.   Its all smashed together funny, and the music is kinda corny.

bring on the Amiga comparisons! serious!

as far as gameplay, the PCE one plays equal to the PC, if not better. I wonder if you can use the PCE mouse with might and magic.......

hmmmmmmmm.

because then it would completely win.  no questions asked

NecroPhile

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 07/09/2009, 03:06 PMI wonder if you can use the PCE mouse with might and magic.......
Alas, no.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: NecroPhile on 07/09/2009, 03:34 PM
Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 07/09/2009, 03:06 PMI wonder if you can use the PCE mouse with might and magic.......
Alas, no.
dang. That wouldve been great.   Maybe ill hack up a "mouse" lol.

Still, the game plays really well with the PCe controller. 

spenoza

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 07/09/2009, 03:06 PMbring on the Amiga comparisons! serious!
Do we have any reason to believe the Amiga version will differ significantly from the PC VGA version or the Macintosh version(effectively VGA, though possibly higher res)?

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: guest on 07/10/2009, 12:04 PM
Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 07/09/2009, 03:06 PMbring on the Amiga comparisons! serious!
Do we have any reason to believe the Amiga version will differ significantly from the PC VGA version or the Macintosh version(effectively VGA, though possibly higher res)?
its an AMIGA! Thats short for Awesome.

:)

actually its probably about the same.....

itd just be great to have concrete proof that PCE > Amiga :)

NecroPhile

Quote from: guest on 07/10/2009, 12:04 PMDo we have any reason to believe the Amiga version will differ significantly from the PC VGA version or the Macintosh version(effectively VGA, though possibly higher res)?
Based on the screenshots available at Lemon Amiga, they look pretty much identical to me.

Arkhan Asylum

CrackTiger

Quote from: NecroPhile on 07/10/2009, 01:16 PM
Quote from: guest on 07/10/2009, 12:04 PMDo we have any reason to believe the Amiga version will differ significantly from the PC VGA version or the Macintosh version(effectively VGA, though possibly higher res)?
Based on the screenshots available at Lemon Amiga, they look pretty much identical to me.
Thanks, it looks like the "low-color PC" screen shots I found were actually the Amiga version.

From what I've seen of each version, I think that the PCE version certainly has the best graphics overall.

Arkhan Asylum

It also has the best gameplay.  Being an M&M junkie, Ive played just about every M&M for every system. 

M&M 1 and 3's best versions are the PCE ones.

The PC one is nice but something lacks in it that the PCE takes care of.  The audio mostly.  The Amiga one is disappointing.  I even fired it up again just to verify. The intro is alright, but the gameplay is clunky.  Something just isnt as streamlined as PCE.   

It does get a mouse, like the PC one... which is a definite plus, but the controller is a small price to pay for a better experience....

I wish gates to another world and Xeen were on PCE.  At least the genesis didnt dick up Gates ...

esteban

Quote from: guest on 07/10/2009, 06:01 PMBeing an M&M junkie, Ive played just about every M&M for every system. 
Hey, have you checked out the mobile versions of M&M?

I've had this mobile M&M (version 1.01) for my Verizon phone for a long time and, for a mobile game, it is pretty neat, IMO.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: esteban on 07/10/2009, 06:15 PM
Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 07/10/2009, 06:01 PMBeing an M&M junkie, Ive played just about every M&M for every system. 
Hey, have you checked out the mobile versions of M&M?

I've had this mobile M&M (version 1.01) for my Verizon phone for a long time and, for a mobile game, it is pretty neat, IMO.
fuck that game was fun !  I dont have it anymore though.  That phone broke.

nat

Hey Arkhan, I was debating with one of my buddies earlier about whether or not I should pick up M&M 1 for the Turbo. What's your take? Worth buying? I suppose so, since you claim it's the best version out there, but what more can you tell me to convince me to go out and buy it?

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: nat on 07/11/2009, 03:54 AMHey Arkhan, I was debating with one of my buddies earlier about whether or not I should pick up M&M 1 for the Turbo. What's your take? Worth buying? I suppose so, since you claim it's the best version out there, but what more can you tell me to convince me to go out and buy it?
well as long as you can read Japanese, its basically a plus version of the NES one.

Visually it looks perfect, and the audio is a massive upgrade.... The layout and presentation of the game is more streamlined than the original PC one, which requires you to look up the spells with a manual, and type them in, and hope you dont hit the wrong key and crap.   You get nice menus, easy to handle combat, and like I said , visually it looks really great.

The problem I always had with the NES one is that its too dark.  No floors/ceilings.  Just blackness.  Like Wizardry.    PCE version is easier on the eyes!   The original had no mouse input either so you aren't missing out.  Its easier to use the controller than it is to hit keys to bring up the menus , etc.

oh and if you forget to hit reset/get blinky screen on power on/have power outtage, you wont lose your frigging save game like on NES.

awack

LOXII, Falcom, release date..06/30/95. Seiken Densetsu 3, Square Soft, release date..09/30/95.

Played through LOXII, which takes about three minutes, found the SD3 shots  on one paticular site. In my opinion the best looking rpgs for each system, i didn't know which Genesis game to add, it would either be PS IV or Beyond Oasis.

Pce boss fights                                snes boss fights
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG

pce over head action                     snes over head action
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG

pce cutscenes                                snes special fx
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG

Tatsujin

NecroPhile

The overhead screens look like you have 'em backwards, as the LOXII pics look washed out and bland when compared to the brighter and more vibrant SD3 pics; usually, it's the other way 'round in a PCE/SNES comparison.  Still, they're both great looking games that are impossible to play without eye-humping the screen.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: NecroPhile on 07/13/2009, 01:10 PMStill, they're both great looking games that are impossible to play without eye-humping the screen.
I go for full on humping. :)

yeah neither of these games trumps the other really.

shubibiman

That's a relevant comparison I wouldn't have thougth of. LOXII actually pars really well with SD3, which I honestly wouldn't have believed at all.
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

Ceti Alpha

I'm with NecroPhile - it looks like the comparison shots are backwards. lol But man, I MUST put this game on my pcedai wishlist.  =P~
IMG

Mathius

WOW :shock: LOXII looks fantastic! I never even heard of the game, let alone seen a screenshot. Is it rare and expensive? I SIMPLY MUST PLAY THAT GAME!!

Turbo D

I too want to get my game on with LOXII, is there a large language barrier by any chance?
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG