Walk into a Goodwill, walk out with a TV

Started by ifkz, 07/13/2014, 12:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ifkz

More coming in and more going out.

Out:
1. The Montgomery Ward was very large and coax only.  The wood grain helped but in the end it had to go (-$10) and the tube looked a bit weak.  I still have one great early 80's TV left:  a dual dial based 13 inch RCA.  One is enough.
2.  The Samsung was entirely too large for the space and nothing would fit correctly on the desk afterwards.  Lesson learned (-$25).  It also had a color issue in the left-center of the tube, like permanent magnetization I could not remove.

In:
1.  A freebie curbside 19 inch tube TV with a built-in DVD player and VCR ($0).  The picture on this one looks fantastic.
2.  A Sharp 19 inch flat tube TV ($10) that replaced the Samsung.  Much better picture and a ton of inputs to boot.  The decals have a 90's aesthetic: "X-treme Flat" written in an edgy graffiti like font.
3.  A tiny-tiny LCD TV only 8 inches and cheap ($8).  The adapter I found for it is only half the rated amps, so it might burn out or catch fire!  Still, it is just a novelty that I only keep powered when I am in the same room.  A former Walgreens Black Friday special according to Google searches.

I think I have affected prices in my area.  Now the tube TVs at my local Goodwill(s) have gone up to $20 and $25...way too much.  I am pretty happy with my group now, as long as I do not see the same sets on the "Hoarders" TV show, I am good.
THANKS TO ALL PCEFX members who have helped fix my hardware and add to my games library!  What a thrill!

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: ifkz on 09/23/2015, 05:06 PMI think I have affected prices in my area.  Now the tube TVs at my local Goodwill(s) have gone up to $20 and $25...way too much.  I am pretty happy with my group now, as long as I do not see the same sets on the "Hoarders" TV show, I am good.
The ones near me have mostly quit taking them. So consider yourself fortunate.
--DragonmasterDan

ifkz

Yep, I have also heard that from forums and relatives in different states.  This is partially what is motivating me to get better sets while they are available.

There are also other uses for tube TVs; in the arcade world new monitors were discontinued several years ago, some have turned to thrift store 19 inch tube TVs for tube swaps to help the look of restored games.  (I prefer good colors and a sharp image with some burn in but everyone is different)
THANKS TO ALL PCEFX members who have helped fix my hardware and add to my games library!  What a thrill!

ToyMachine78

In my area TVs at good will are pretty damn expensive. 20-40$ for a 20+ in.

Craigslist is the way to go here. I got a 27in JVC with svideo and component inputs for $5. Many people list them in the for free section.

This might be gross but when u buy a TV, and other electronics for that matter, open them up before bringing them into your home. There are some nasty mofos out there and you don't want to smuggle roach eggs into the hizzle.

LostFlunky

Around 2k7 a local furniture place bought up an order of hotel room tv's that were made by LG and sold under the Zenith brand.  They were 27" flat fronted CRT's with a special cable that accepts an 800X600 VGA signal, in addition to composite, S-VHS, component and coax. 

I saw visions of MAME machines so I bought 2 of them for projects.   1 is currently in an unfinished, scratch built MAME cabinet and the other has recently been set up with an old school TV stand for some glorious 90's style gaming...

turboswimbz

Like Dan, We sadly have no more tube TV's around here. what little CRT's that go to goodwill or the donatonation bins go to the recycling center and are sold off for scrape.  Occasionaly you an find a few random one's around 20 bucks or free, but they are far and few between. I just need to get my PVM up and running now - if only I could find a spot for it.

Some neat pick ups though.  enjoyed the read for sure.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

xcrement5x

More recently (last several months) I upgraded to a 27" flat tube Trinitron from Craigslist for about $15, guy was moving and it worked out for me.  Some damage to the trim but the tube itself is crisp and clear.  It has component, Svid, and composite on it, plus I used the service menu to tweak it a bit and it plays nice with a lot of stuff. 

Had to ditch my old Samsung that I loved but it went to a good home I think. No luck at thrifts anymore either, everyone is turning away CRTs so CL was the only option.
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

johnnykonami

I had to give up a pretty nice, huge CRT last time I moved.  It was too heavy to deal with at the time.  I want to get a nice PVM of some kind for my next monitor.

wilykat

I often see free TVs by the road side because no charity shop will take it and trash collector can't take it either.

I almost had a free 32" Wega but when I got to it on the road side, the glass was all smashed in.  Probably a prank by people walking by.

Right now I have a tiny 9" color CRT with A/V input to use as testing modded systems, a 13" with RF only as spare (may throw it out when i get better), a Commodore 13" RGB monitor (was almost free and works fine).  I do plan to get a PVM to replace that Commodore monitor.

thesteve

i have picked up a few 32" wega roadside

xcrement5x

I do wonder if since the demand for PVMs is outstripping currently supply there will be more people trying to pick up and RGB mod consumer level sets for sale.  It seems people are either going the CRT route or using devices like the XRGB to get the best picture now, the next 10-15 years will be interesting to see which has better adoption.  (Hopefully not 16:9 RF)
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: guest on 09/25/2015, 11:46 AMI do wonder if since the demand for PVMs is outstripping currently supply there will be more people trying to pick up and RGB mod consumer level sets for sale.  It seems people are either going the CRT route or using devices like the XRGB to get the best picture now, the next 10-15 years will be interesting to see which has better adoption.  (Hopefully not 16:9 RF)
Well there's only so many high quality CRTs out there. Eventually the XRGB type convertors will be more popular than RGB native or modded CRTs, but it will be a while.
--DragonmasterDan

ifkz

A year later past post #1 in this thread and I have an updated cheapskate flat screen.  I am a nutter.

I came up with a paper thin excuse to search for another cheap-o flat screen TV:  lack of an HDMI connection on the $70 gaming flat screen TV (component only).  I figure a paper thin excuse needs a paper thin budget.  My pursuit for a more modern TV was going nowhere; this Goodwill TV has ruined my size standards to 40 inches or larger.  No-name Aquarius and Quasar TVs from the local grocery chain were $350 and up.  Best Buy, Sears, and Frys were way too expensive.  My friendly neighborhood pawn shop had a TV with broken speakers but a nice picture that was 37 inches that I missed out on purchasing; it had dropped from $150 to $100 and someone else bought it.  Curses!  I was prepared to buy it and wire up some external PC speakers to solve the audio problem.

Okay...okay...Yesterday they had a shelf worn (slight scratch on the lower right of the screen) LG that was 42 inches at $180+tax.  I made them a $100 offer and extolled the extra shelf space freed up once the TV was sold.  The first employee said they were already losing money at $180 since it had been in the store so long and they had paid a lot of state inventory tax on it over the years.  When they bought it, they loaned out a lot of money because it was worth more back then (it had a manufactured day of 2011).  Anyhow, they shot a counter offer of $160 and I said no thanks but I would do $100.  I wandered around the store and other prices caught my eye.  $100 for a set of car trunk speakers in a wooden box.  $100 for a guitar amp.  $120 for an old faded beer sign that would be above a pool table.  $100...does it really does not go far nowadays with electronics?  I dont know, but I honestly thought I was being insultingly cheap after looking around and thinking about my own bills for the car, grocery, water, electricity, and car registration.

I heard the other clerk make a commotion and dart to and from the TV area; he had hauled it out to the counter and told me to come and get it.  I was shocked and he said:  'look, this TV has been here longer than I have' and 'some people are just too hung onto stuff.'  My new favorite clerk!  I paid my $100 + tax and was outta there.  I stopped by a local Tex-Mex restaurant for a mushroom stuffed Chile Relleno ($6.89) to celebrate and I spent the night cleaning up and adjusting my new TV.  A 50/50 solution of white vinegar and water does a great job of cleaning the flat screen (a handy trick from a co-worker of mine).

The Goodwill 42" flatscreen will go out in the garage as soon as I can get a friend to help lift it!  The front is a sheet of glass (since it is an early EDTV - non HD).  I almost snuck the new one past my fiancee but she saw me and asked 'What is that?'  My 'you see nothing,' needs some work.  She says sell the Goodwill one, but it is having some problems (image ghosting and constant horizontal interference) that I think make it more suitable for a use-it-until-it-quits garage TV.  I have been wanting to open the back up and re-seat cables to see if the image quality improves anyhow.  Any other ideas for it?  It is about 4 inches thick from front to back.

Unnecessary?  Maybe.  Duplication?  Sure.  Extravagant?  Yup.  Waste of good money?  Humm.  Am I happy?  YES.

xcrement5x

esteban

Quote from: ifkz on 09/25/2015, 01:10 PMA year later past post #1 in this thread and I have an updated cheapskate flat screen.  I am a nutter.

I came up with a paper thin excuse to search for another cheap-o flat screen TV:  lack of an HDMI connection on the $70 gaming flat screen TV (component only).  I figure a paper thin excuse needs a paper thin budget.  My pursuit for a more modern TV was going nowhere; this Goodwill TV has ruined my size standards to 40 inches or larger.  No-name Aquarius and Quasar TVs from the local grocery chain were $350 and up.  Best Buy, Sears, and Frys were way too expensive.  My friendly neighborhood pawn shop had a TV with broken speakers but a nice picture that was 37 inches that I missed out on purchasing; it had dropped from $150 to $100 and someone else bought it.  Curses!  I was prepared to buy it and wire up some external PC speakers to solve the audio problem.

Okay...okay...Yesterday they had a shelf worn (slight scratch on the lower right of the screen) LG that was 42 inches at $180+tax.  I made them a $100 offer and extolled the extra shelf space freed up once the TV was sold.  The first employee said they were already losing money at $180 since it had been in the store so long and they had paid a lot of state inventory tax on it over the years.  When they bought it, they loaned out a lot of money because it was worth more back then (it had a manufactured day of 2011).  Anyhow, they shot a counter offer of $160 and I said no thanks but I would do $100.  I wandered around the store and other prices caught my eye.  $100 for a set of car trunk speakers in a wooden box.  $100 for a guitar amp.  $120 for an old faded beer sign that would be above a pool table.  $100...does it really does not go far nowadays with electronics?  I dont know, but I honestly thought I was being insultingly cheap after looking around and thinking about my own bills for the car, grocery, water, electricity, and car registration.

I heard the other clerk make a commotion and dart to and from the TV area; he had hauled it out to the counter and told me to come and get it.  I was shocked and he said:  'look, this TV has been here longer than I have' and 'some people are just too hung onto stuff.'  My new favorite clerk!  I paid my $100 + tax and was outta there.  I stopped by a local Tex-Mex restaurant for a mushroom stuffed Chile Relleno ($6.89) to celebrate and I spent the night cleaning up and adjusting my new TV.  A 50/50 solution of white vinegar and water does a great job of cleaning the flat screen (a handy trick from a co-worker of mine).

The Goodwill 42" flatscreen will go out in the garage as soon as I can get a friend to help lift it!  The front is a sheet of glass (since it is an early EDTV - non HD).  I almost snuck the new one past my fiancee but she saw me and asked 'What is that?'  My 'you see nothing,' needs some work.  She says sell the Goodwill one, but it is having some problems (image ghosting and constant horizontal interference) that I think make it more suitable for a use-it-until-it-quits garage TV.  I have been wanting to open the back up and re-seat cables to see if the image quality improves anyhow.  Any other ideas for it?  It is about 4 inches thick from front to back.

Unnecessary?  Maybe.  Duplication?  Sure.  Extravagant?  Yup.  Waste of good money?  Humm.  Am I happy?  YES.
The best part of the story, for me, was the celebratory chile relleno! I'm starving right know.

Jesus Christ, I'm starving.

:)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

ifkz

Yes, the Chile Relleno plate and that restaurant are dangerous.  I was given one of those coupon books where high school students go door-to-door selling them to support the local football team and they come with a variety of coupons lasting a year, no limit.  This is the best deal in the book:  $5 off anything excluding alcohol.  This full sized dish is turning me into a full sized person.  It is like those sci-fi TV shows, where they have food replicators available all the time.  Why are they all not 500lbs?  Why is it when I hit my mid 30's that all food that is decent turns into the best food ever?  I used to not even care about steak, bacon, cheesecake, etc!

I am trying to turn that place into a once every two week treat.  A chile relleno is a hard dish to get right and this is the best I've had.  I have not tried their cheese enchiladas, which I have a problem liking; a like the size of my TV habit documented in this thread....

esteban

Quote from: ifkz on 09/25/2015, 08:14 PMYes, the Chile Relleno plate and that restaurant are dangerous.  I was given one of those coupon books where high school students go door-to-door selling them to support the local football team and they come with a variety of coupons lasting a year, no limit.  This is the best deal in the book:  $5 off anything excluding alcohol.  This full sized dish is turning me into a full sized person.  It is like those sci-fi TV shows, where they have food replicators available all the time.  Why are they all not 500lbs?  Why is it when I hit my mid 30's that all food that is decent turns into the best food ever?  I used to not even care about steak, bacon, cheesecake, etc!

I am trying to turn that place into a once every two week treat.  A chile relleno is a hard dish to get right and this is the best I've had.  I have not tried their cheese enchiladas, which I have a problem liking; a like the size of my TV habit documented in this thread....
I still have not eaten!!!

Stop it.

I'm not joking.

Also, I know the struggle—I would love to eat the portions I did 20 years ago, but I'll gain too much weight.

IT IS NOT FAIR!!!!
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG