10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

PC Engine Collections

Started by cozzie, 06/18/2006, 11:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nat

Quote from: guest on 10/02/2007, 11:50 AMPromotional SCD re-release of Tengai Makyou - Ziria and Deden No Den (promotional release of bomberman with Far East of Eden characters).
I have the pictured (SCD) version of Ziria. I had no idea it was a promotional release. What's different about it from the normal version (which I have never played apparently)?

I also have the Bomberman '94 Denden no Den game. Fun game, but you can't choose the CPU as a player. :(

CrackTiger

Quote from: nat on 10/02/2007, 01:48 PM
Quote from: NecroPhile on 10/02/2007, 11:50 AMPromotional SCD re-release of Tengai Makyou - Ziria and Deden No Den (promotional release of bomberman with Far East of Eden characters).
I have the pictured (SCD) version of Ziria. I had no idea it was a promotional release. What's different about it from the normal version (which I have never played apparently)?

I also have the Bomberman '94 Denden no Den game. Fun game, but you can't choose the CPU as a player. :(
The Super CD version has a system card warning screen. Some people swear it loads faster or less often.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

NecroPhile

Quote from: nat on 10/02/2007, 01:48 PMI have the pictured (SCD) version of Ziria. I had no idea it was a promotional release. What's different about it from the normal version (which I have never played apparently)?
The always knowledgeable Bonknuts says....

Quote from: TurboXray on 06/09/2007, 01:05 AMAs far as the difference between Ziria CD and SCD: the SCD version was recompiled for SCD and the script is compressed so it does use the extra memory of the SCD unit.
.... which would lead me to believe that it would have less frequent loads.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Tatsujin

yeah, those special versions of bomberman only contains the vs. mode, for the yearly hudson competitions back in the time :)

taikenban means promotial soft, this goes for the BM'94, which then came out on a SCD. same fot the "deden no den kabuki". which again is the BM'94 but with kabuki characters instead of bombermen, as well on a SCD.

as for the shooting special versions, they where made for yearly hudson competition purposes as well.

concerning tengai makyô ziria, i dunno know well about, what's the differences. never went in seriously so far.

darius alpha was a give away present for those fast people who purchased darius plus and super darius, and sent back a small triangular snippet out from the manuals backside.

still missing hudson specials: Bomberman user battle, PC Genjin 3 taikenban, power league gold hucard, which will cost me probably more than i've already spent on those specials :(
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Ninja Spirit

NecroPhile

Don't you mean "As of January 1, 2003"?  :lol:

I spy Jimmu Densho in your collection.  Do you agree with runinruder's recent review (if you've even played it enough to have much of an opinion one way or the other)?

Turbo D

He must have one of those digital cameras that take AA batteries. The time is always screwing up on those  :x
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

Ninja Spirit

Quote from: guest on 10/04/2007, 01:04 PMDon't you mean "As of January 1, 2003"?  :lol:

I spy Jimmu Densho in your collection.  Do you agree with runinruder's recent review (if you've even played it enough to have much of an opinion one way or the other)?
I havent seen his review yet period, what thread's that in?

NecroPhile

It's in runinruder's "My useless thoughts on a few PCE games" thread - Jimmu Denshou.

Ninja Spirit

Ah that's what's up. In fact, I got a clip of that up on YouTube

WoodyXP

I finally got around to taking pictures of my stuff... I don't have anything that hasn't
been posted already:

/gearlv4.jpg
The Hardware

/softlu7.jpg
The Software
"I bathe in AES carts."

Turbo D

Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

bust3dstr8

I wanted to be cool like Keranu...so I tried the Youtube route.

Here's my shitty video
Note to Keranu: For the love of God take that scary as hell baby off, I seriously almost puked when I saw it.
Clowns Suck
IMG IMG

Keranu

Quote from: bust3dstr8 on 10/08/2007, 04:52 AMI wanted to be cool like Keranu...so I tried the Youtube route.
Aww, thanks man :) . I haven't recorded my collection yet, but I want to (similar to how Ninja Spirit did). It's always really relaxing to watch people show their collections.

Quote from: bust3dstr8Here's my shitty video
The way you laid out all of your games looks so rad! I also love the Ai Cho Aniki music :D .

Quote from: bust3dstr8Note to Keranu: For the love of God take that scary as hell baby off, I seriously almost puked when I saw it.
Hahahaha, that has been such a controversial video for me :mrgreen: . Everyone always comments on the baby but not one person has commented on the later half which features the wonderful Alf!
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

bust3dstr8

....second half.....there's a second half?
I bet most people, like I did, shut it off after 5 seconds.
Clowns Suck
IMG IMG

Tatsujin

hehe..nice there.. i have to pass with a video. would have to pave the floors of my whole appartment for a 3 hour film splitted then in part 1~23 for youtube. that's tiring for me as well for the viewers afterwards :mrgreen:
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Keranu

Quote from: bust3dstr8 on 10/08/2007, 05:37 AM....second half.....there's a second half?
I bet most people, like I did, shut it off after 5 seconds.
Yeah unfortunately most people do :( . By the way, I love your Combatribes signature GIF!
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG

Ceti Alpha

Nice collection bust3.  =D&gt; I just posted a comment on youtube. I just created a new account (avenuePad). It was the only name I could think of that wasn't already taken. lol

That video Keranu is really sad. What a terrible disease.  :(
IMG
"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

Keranu

Quote from: ceti alpha on 10/08/2007, 11:21 PMThat video Keranu is really sad. What a terrible disease.  :(
People don't understand the meaning behind my video :D ! It's not to discriminate people with Harlequin's disease or anything, it's just a test video when I first started using Ulead Video Studio! I quickly chose a couple videos off my computer and it ended up being that one and the Alf clip. I hope more people stick around for the Alf part :( .
IMG

Ceti Alpha

QuoteI hope more people stick around for the Alf part Sad .
I did.  :)
IMG

Keranu

Congratulations, I think that makes you the first!  :mrgreen:
IMG

Ninja Spirit

Oh man that Harlequin fetus...everytime I see that, I think of the birth scene from this flick..
IMG

rag-time4

Quote from: Keranu on 10/08/2007, 05:26 AM
Quote from: bust3dstr8 on 10/08/2007, 04:52 AMI wanted to be cool like Keranu...so I tried the Youtube route.
Aww, thanks man :) . I haven't recorded my collection yet, but I want to (similar to how Ninja Spirit did). It's always really relaxing to watch people show their collections.

Quote from: bust3dstr8Here's my shitty video
The way you laid out all of your games looks so rad! I also love the Ai Cho Aniki music :D .

Quote from: bust3dstr8Note to Keranu: For the love of God take that scary as hell baby off, I seriously almost puked when I saw it.
Hahahaha, that has been such a controversial video for me :mrgreen: . Everyone always comments on the baby but not one person has commented on the later half which features the wonderful Alf!
I don't think I've ever sat through a full episode of the live-action Alf but I used to occasionaly watch the Saturday morning cartoon...

I never knew about that disease until I saw your video, Keranu.

I don't understand what's upsetting about the video... Why keep this disease a secret?

PCEngineHell

If I ever get the time to take pics I will,but basically between me and the kids here we have  a 2-Slot MVS with a tad over 35 games I think,a black GameCube with around 60 titles,a Wii with around 6 games, a pink DS lite,and a silver normal DS with around 14 DS titles,a CoreGrafx with Super Cd-rom and around 55-58 titles, 2 Nes decks and around 40 games for those,a few computers,lots of Pc games,and a little bit of Jamma pcb stuff. Also still some Genesis and import Ps1 stuff and a Mini Ps1 sitting here. I think that is it. I know this is for Pc Engine thread wise,but might as well   post a basic breakdown of everything and be done with it.

OldTurboBastard

Quote from: herr-g on 10/17/2006, 02:25 PMIt's currently about 660 titles, so still a few to go. I keep on searching...

Greetings to all PCE freaks out there from a big fan in Hamburg, Germany.
:shock: WOW thats a killer collection but i can't help but wonder with that much invested in the collection why not the mac daddy 52" LCD display to play it on?

still...wow
"I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude, you have to wait." - hedberg

Tatsujin

because LCDs don't fit with the PC Engine. there is no fun to play pc engine games on such a devices! CRTs for ever in our retro-hearts!!

CrackTiger

Quote from: Tatsujin on 10/23/2007, 11:34 PMbecause LCDs don't fit with the PC Engine. there is no fun to play pc engine games on such a devices! CRTs for ever in our retro-hearts!!
They also look and play great on a DLP projector.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Keranu

Quote from: Tatsujin on 10/23/2007, 11:34 PMbecause LCDs don't fit with the PC Engine. there is no fun to play pc engine games on such a devices! CRTs for ever in our retro-hearts!!
I can't agree with this enough!
IMG

Tatsujin

there're may be big differences for different type of LCD/TFT products, but generally you never will bring the picture such nice and purely on a screen as by a good old CRT via RGB input. and for the most products i've seen in the past, old 16-bitter doesn't make a good figure on such new highend screens.

but beamers generally looking better than any LCD/TFT screens i've seen up to now.

:)

Ceti Alpha

Quotethere're may be big differences for different type of LCD/TFT products, but generally you never will bring the picture such nice and purely on a screen as by a good old CRT via RGB input.
I think I just found that out at my friend's place last night. He was doing some shit so I decided to download armagetron on his computer and give it a go. He has an LCD and the picture was terrible. I thought it just might have been the default graphics so I downloaded and installed a moviepack, but the picture was still sketchy. It was just all blurry. Like armagetron on LSD. Everything was trailing if you know what I mean. Oh, and I'm pretty sure his video card is good. He was playing Command and Conquer with no issues. The FPS on Armagetron was also quite good or as good as mine at least.

I love my flatscreen CRT.  =D&gt; But are there any equal, high quality LCDs that won't have that blur/wave effect?
IMG

NecroPhile

Quote from: ceti alpha on 10/24/2007, 11:30 PMI love my flatscreen CRT.  =D&gt; But are there any equal, high quality LCDs that won't have that blur/wave effect?
The response times have been greatly improved, and new sets are coming on the market with 120hz refresh rates to reduce motion blur.  I still don't think that any of these sets will equal a quality CRT, but they're getting close.

OldTurboBastard

makes sense. Things do look a little blocky on my LCD monitor, while interlace mode just looks "artificially blurred"
"I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude, you have to wait." - hedberg

Ceti Alpha

A friend of mine recently bought a super computer with a really sweet LCD. It's crystal clear. You just have to be willing to fork out the coin right now for the good ones I guess.  :)
IMG

CrackTiger

The main problem with retro consoles on HDTV's isn't refresh rates, its that they upscale the low res signals in ugly ways. I don't know if a HD CRT would have the same problem.

Tatsujin

here an update after cleaning up today:

/pceall20080211eh5.jpg

:)

Ceti Alpha

That is absolutely incredible. Nice and neat and pleasing to the eye.  8)

It certainly serves as a reminder for how far I have to go before I get to where you are. lol  #-o But that's the fun in collecting.  :)
IMG

Seldane

Quote from: guest on 10/25/2007, 01:03 AM
Quote from: ceti alpha on 10/24/2007, 11:30 PMI love my flatscreen CRT.  =D&gt; But are there any equal, high quality LCDs that won't have that blur/wave effect?
The response times have been greatly improved, and new sets are coming on the market with 120hz refresh rates to reduce motion blur.  I still don't think that any of these sets will equal a quality CRT, but they're getting close.
There's no such thing has "Hz" on lcd/plasma displays. They don't work that way.

And for picture quality, lcd is the absolute best way to go. A crt can never look as sharp.
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG
Indeed, it's AV time. Check out: IMG! Sir, the door was open.

nat

Quote from: Seldane on 02/11/2008, 11:03 AMAnd for picture quality, lcd is the absolute best way to go. A crt can never look as sharp.
Yeah, but as another user mentioned, when dealing with retro consoles you get unpredictable results when the set upscales the lower-res video output from the console. Usually the side effects are ugly. I found this out the hard way with my Dreamcast.

NecroPhile

Quote from: Seldane on 02/11/2008, 11:03 AMThere's no such thing has "Hz" on lcd/plasma displays. They don't work that way.

And for picture quality, lcd is the absolute best way to go. A crt can never look as sharp.
You know not of what you speak - do some research before trolling.  All LCDs change their image at a specific rate, usually 60 cycles per second with newer models at 120 cycles.  Your idea of picture quality is rather narrow, as LCDs excel only in sharpness and brightness.  They are inferior to a quality CRT for color rendition, contrast, viewing angles, response times, and the ability to display differing screen resolutions.  Admittedly, my point is somewhat moot, as quality CRTs are as rare as hen's teeth these days (new ones, anyway).

Ceti Alpha

QuoteYour idea of picture quality is rather narrow, as LCDs excel only in sharpness and brightness.  They are inferior to a quality CRT for color rendition, contrast, viewing angles, response times, and the ability to display differing screen resolutions.  Admittedly, my point is somewhat moot, as quality CRTs are as rare as hen's teeth these days (new ones, anyway).
I have to agree Necro. I love my CRT. None of my other friends' LCDs match the clarity and resolution of my CRT. I do not suggest playing Armagetron Advanced with a low to medium grade LCD. The blur and image trailing makes the game virtually unplayable.
IMG

spenoza

Quote from: NecroPhile on 02/11/2008, 11:20 AMYou know not of what you speak - do some research before trolling.  All LCDs change their image at a specific rate, usually 60 cycles per second with newer models at 120 cycles.  Your idea of picture quality is rather narrow, as LCDs excel only in sharpness and brightness.  They are inferior to a quality CRT for color rendition, contrast, viewing angles, response times, and the ability to display differing screen resolutions.  Admittedly, my point is somewhat moot, as quality CRTs are as rare as hen's teeth these days (new ones, anyway).
He has a point. Refresh rate on an LCD operates a bit differently than refresh rate on a CRT monitor. Yes, it's how often the image is updated, but the manner in which the image is updated can play a big role, and LCDs update much differently from CRTs. Also, only modern LCDs excel at brightness. LCDs always used to have a reputation for being dim. Thankfully, those days are largely behind us (except in cheap laptops). Further, LCDs are extremely sharp at their native resolution, but when they are displaying a non-optimal resolution LCD image quality often appears blurry compared to other screens.

I would say that watching non-HD video on an LCD HD screen, for example, is a somewhat disappointing experience. This includes, of course, classic video games.

Tatsujin

bazaaru goodies update :)

/bazaarucolxg9.jpg

got all the goodies they had at the NEC booth from this years security show :dance:

- keitai strap
- USB keitai charger
- IC-card holder

uressi~~!! ^^

NecroPhile

Quote from: Tatsujin on 03/07/2008, 07:25 AMbazaaru goodies update :)
Awesome!  =D&gt;

P.S. - What's the purple colored CD-ROM above Bazaaru de Gozaaru?

Ceti Alpha

Quotegot all the goodies they had at the NEC booth from this years security show Dancing
ME WANT! ME WANT!  =P~

That's awesome tats. Nice grab!  =D&gt;
IMG

Alt-Nintega

0__________0 at the insane collections some of you have!  :shock:

As of now I only own 15 HuCard games

Gunhed
Super Star Soldier
Final Soldier
Soldier Blade
The Kung Fu
Gradius
Salamander
Kyukyoku Tiger
Galaga '88
Xevious: Fardraut Densetsu
Dragon Spirit
Dragon Saber
Genpei Toumaden
Genpei Toumaden: Ka no Ni
Splatterhouse

And 2 Super CD-ROMROM games:

Akumajou Dracula X: Chi no Rondo
Nexzr (on its way to my mail)

Ceti Alpha

QuoteAs of now I only own 15 HuCard games

Gunhed
Super Star Soldier
Final Soldier
Soldier Blade
The Kung Fu
Gradius
Salamander
Kyukyoku Tiger
Galaga '88
Dragon Spirit
Dragon Saber
Genpei Toumaden
Splatterhouse

I like your style Nintega!  =D&gt; Great choices!

You will absolutely love Nexzr by the way. Is it Nexzr Special or the original?

I'm also glad to see someone else with Xevious.  :mrgreen: I just received mine a week or two ago, but have to wait for my Duo to get fixed/modded. I can't wait to slip that baby in. lol

Oh, and thanks for the video on Youtube. I look forward to some of that anime. :) Gratz on getting Rondo as well.  =D&gt;
IMG

Alt-Nintega

Quote from: ceti alpha on 03/09/2008, 05:26 PM
QuoteAs of now I only own 15 HuCard games

Gunhed
Super Star Soldier
Final Soldier
Soldier Blade
The Kung Fu
Gradius
Salamander
Kyukyoku Tiger
Galaga '88
Dragon Spirit
Dragon Saber
Genpei Toumaden
Splatterhouse

I like your style Nintega!  =D&gt; Great choices!

You will absolutely love Nexzr by the way. Is it Nexzr Special or the original?

I'm also glad to see someone else with Xevious.  :mrgreen: I just received mine a week or two ago, but have to wait for my Duo to get fixed/modded. I can't wait to slip that baby in. lol

Oh, and thanks for the video on Youtube. I look forward to some of that anime. :) Gratz on getting Rondo as well.  =D&gt;
Got the original one. Oh and you're welcome!  :D

ApolloBoy

Updated list:

*PC Engine Duo
*1943 Kai (complete)
*Aero Blasters (TG-16, with jewel case and manual)
*After Burner II
*Alien Crush (TG-16)
*Blazing Lazers (with jewel case and manual)
*Bloody Wolf (TG-16)
*Bonk's Adventure
*Bonk's Revenge
*F-1 Circus
*Final Lap Twin (TG-16, with jewel case and manual)
*Final Soldier
*Galaga '88 (complete)
*Gradius (complete)
*JJ & Jeff (with jewel case and manual)
*Kaizou Choujin Shubibinman (complete)
*Keith Courage in Alpha Zones (complete)
*Legendary Axe
*Ninja Spirit (TG-16)
*R-Type (with jewel case and manual)
*SCI (complete)
*Sidearms (TG-16, with jewel case and manual)
*Street Fighter II
*Victory Run (PCE)
*Vigilante (TG-16)
IMG

type-r

Is anyone in touch with the original creator (cozzie) of this post or have his email address? I have been sent him a number of PMs however he hasn't signed in since Oct 2006. Any info would be great! Cheers.

Ninja Spirit

(TG16 Turbochips)
Bloody Wolf
Bonk's Adventure
Keith Courage
Ninja Spirit
R-Type
Side Arms
Tiger Road

(Turbo CD's)
Cosmic Fantasy II
Riot Zone