OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

Golden Axe CD

Started by nat, 01/18/2008, 02:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nat

I got the jump attack down pretty good yesterday.

spenoza

I think it's just that the female character isn't as good as in previous games.

Kitsunexus

Quote from: guest on 01/20/2008, 06:12 PMI think it's just that the female character isn't as good as in previous games.
She has actual physics modelling (after your mom). :P
Forgive me, my brain is on par with the Bubble System.
THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS RULE!

spenoza

I'm not sure I want my mom to be that hot (or pixellated).

OldTurboBastard

Quote from: Kitsunexus on 01/19/2008, 12:43 AMMultiplayer was removed because due to system limitations at the time, the system could only hold one player. The second player would have to stream directly from disc, and considering 90's console CD access times, it would be unplayable and thus was scrapped.

This of course is 100% bullshit but sounds more logical than anything anyone else has put out so far.
Its probably as simple as the console could'nt handle the extra sprites.
"I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude, you have to wait." - hedberg

spenoza

It couldn't handle them loading them from CD where it could loading them from cartridge? Nope, that ain't it. Try again. I think it was just laziness on the part of the programmers, either that or limitations in how much game data they could store in system RAM at any given time.

OldTurboBastard

Quote from: guest on 01/21/2008, 10:10 PMIt couldn't handle them loading them from CD where it could loading them from cartridge? Nope, that ain't it. Try again. I think it was just laziness on the part of the programmers, either that or limitations in how much game data they could store in system RAM at any given time.
Actually, What I'm refering to is the maximum of 64 on-screen sprites that the turbo GPU can handle simultaneously. I don't think the transfer of data from media to RAM has much to do with it - the GPU could'nt handle the sprites regardless of whether the data for them could be stored in RAM.  The turbo could handle larger sprites, but not as many as the genesis (which I believe could handle 80 smaller sprites).  Hence the two player mode on the Genesis port. Could it be that the hardware just could'nt handle it on our beloved turbo??? GASP!!!

Programmers get "lazy" when hardware limitations make things difficult to pull off..... If i have to come up with some ingenious algorithm every time I want to get around the hardware limits i am gonna be less likely to do it. Having said that i've seen the golden axe port and i'm sure a better job could have been done on the PC engine port. Two Players??? I'm sure it could have been done by sacrificing other in game sprites or using some other compromising method.
"I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude, you have to wait." - hedberg

Joe Redifer

Quote from: OldTurboBastardHence the two player mode on the Genesis port.
But not the Sega CD version of the same game, which is what we're trying to figure out.

nat

Quote from: OldTurboBastard on 01/21/2008, 11:15 PM
Quote from: guest on 01/21/2008, 10:10 PMIt couldn't handle them loading them from CD where it could loading them from cartridge? Nope, that ain't it. Try again. I think it was just laziness on the part of the programmers, either that or limitations in how much game data they could store in system RAM at any given time.
Actually, What I'm refering to is the maximum of 64 on-screen sprites that the turbo GPU can handle simultaneously. I don't think the transfer of data from media to RAM has much to do with it - the GPU could'nt handle the sprites regardless of whether the data for them could be stored in RAM.  The turbo could handle larger sprites, but not as many as the genesis (which I believe could handle 80 smaller sprites).  Hence the two player mode on the Genesis port. Could it be that the hardware just could'nt handle it on our beloved turbo??? GASP!!!

Programmers get "lazy" when hardware limitations make things difficult to pull off..... If i have to come up with some ingenious algorithm every time I want to get around the hardware limits i am gonna be less likely to do it. Having said that i've seen the golden axe port and i'm sure a better job could have been done on the PC engine port. Two Players??? I'm sure it could have been done by sacrificing other in game sprites or using some other compromising method.
You're nuts. I remember this shit from the Genesis vs. Turbo thread a few months back. You have some whacky preconceptions about the Turbo hardware.

Golden Axe barely has any sprites on screen at all at any given time. Not even close to the limit. The Turbo is fully competent to handle a few sprites in a two-player version of Golden Axe with plenty to spare. One more wouldn't make an ounce of difference. If you think this is due to some inherent hardware limitation, you're living in la-la land.

I think the "laziness" in the case of the Turbo version is just that-- pure laziness. When you see how lazy they were with the in-game graphics, it's no small wonder.

It's a much bigger mystery why the SEGA CD version of the game lacks the two-player mode, considering a 2 player version of the game had already been created for the system. Laziness was obviously not the issue-- it would take far more work to remove the 2 player functionality than to just leave it in.

CrackTiger

Quote from: nat on 01/22/2008, 01:25 AMYou're nuts. I remember this shit from the Genesis vs. Turbo thread a few months back. You have some whacky preconceptions about the Turbo hardware.

Golden Axe barely has any sprites on screen at all at any given time. Not even close to the limit. The Turbo is fully competent to handle a few sprites in a two-player version of Golden Axe with plenty to spare. One more wouldn't make an ounce of difference. If you think this is due to some inherent hardware limitation, you're living in la-la land.
Although anyone familiar with a few Turbo/PCE games should know that Golden Axe would not be a challenge sprite-wise, a good example would be Riot Zone, another 2 player beat 'em up.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Joe Redifer

It's the law against two-player Golden Axe games on CD, I'm tellin' ya!  But no one believes me.   :(

CrackTiger

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 01/22/2008, 02:08 AMIt's the law against two-player Golden Axe games on CD, I'm tellin' ya!  But no one believes me.   :(
What about Golden Axe The Duel? :wink:
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Joe Redifer

That's Golden Axe The Duel, not Golden Axe!!!!!!

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: guest on 01/22/2008, 02:02 AM
Quote from: nat on 01/22/2008, 01:25 AMYou're nuts. I remember this shit from the Genesis vs. Turbo thread a few months back. You have some whacky preconceptions about the Turbo hardware.

Although anyone familiar with a few Turbo/PCE games should know that Golden Axe would not be a challenge sprite-wise, a good example would be Riot Zone, another 2 player beat 'em up.
Uh, are you being serious, or are you joking :D  Riot Zone is 1 player.  Double Dragon 2 is 2 player however, as is, I believe, Galaxy Detective Gayvan...I think.  And River City Ransom! :D

Oh, might I add, I have never been able to play Golden Axe: The Duel.  No copy works in my Saturn, I've tried multiple copies ](*,)
IMG

Kitsunexus

Once again:

R0X0RStan > Golden Ass

:P
Forgive me, my brain is on par with the Bubble System.
THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS RULE!

OldRover

While it might be laziness, it would certainly not be unfeasible to say that it couldn't be done on the CDROM due to lack of memory. There's not as much memory available when you use a CDROM, since data has to be loaded into RAM. With ROM, all the memory of the ROM is available at once, so if you have an 8MB ROM, you can access it all at any given time. The same can't be said for a CDROM, since you only have a limited amount of RAM available (256KB on the Duo, 768KB on the Sega CD).

Riot Zone could have been made two-player with ease. I have no idea why they decided to kill off one of Riot City's best features. I mean damn, the game is pretty lame anyways, but they could have at least made it fun. Riot Zone is pretty stale without two player support.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

CrackTiger

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 01/22/2008, 04:26 AMUh, are you being serious, or are you joking :D  Riot Zone is 1 player.  Double Dragon 2 is 2 player however, as is, I believe, Galaxy Detective Gayvan...I think.  And River City Ransom! :D

Oh, might I add, I have never been able to play Golden Axe: The Duel.  No copy works in my Saturn, I've tried multiple copies ](*,)
I've never played Riot Zone. :P :wink: :dance:

OldTurboBastard

I think the "laziness" in the case of the Turbo version is just that-- pure laziness. When you see how lazy they were with the in-game graphics, it's no small wonder.

It's a much bigger mystery why the SEGA CD version of the game lacks the two-player mode, considering a 2 player version of the game had already been created for the system. Laziness was obviously not the issue-- it would take far more work to remove the 2 player functionality than to just leave it in.
OK - so what are those whacky preconcieved notions? not sure I said anything inaccurate. As for the number of sprites-  I may be wrong here but I believe a complex character model will take more than just a few sprites - it's not just two sprites for two characters.

ccovell

I just checked a couple of screenshots from Golden Axe arcade, and the player characters' sizes range around 32x50 to 50x60...  which quite literally is only 2 sprites on the Turbo!   :)

OldTurboBastard

Quote from: ccovell on 01/22/2008, 09:24 AMI just checked a couple of screenshots from Golden Axe arcade, and the player characters' sizes range around 32x50 to 50x60...  which quite literally is only 2 sprites on the Turbo!   :)
well in that case, maybe they WERE just lazy, hell i don't know.

lazy bastards were probably browsing gaming fan sites when they should have been working hard on the job  :-"

Ceti Alpha

Quotelazy bastards were probably browsing gaming fan sites when they should have been working hard on the job  Whistle
hehe. I won't tell if you don't.  :-$
IMG
"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

Keith Courage

Just played through this for the first time. The playable character sprites look like crap. What's weird is when the main character performs a dash run attack it looks good and to me the enemies look good. Why not put the time into making the payable characters not look like a cardboard cutout? Oh, also the slow down gets pretty annoying at times.

I did like the music but that was about it. If the sprites had been done better the game would definitely be good enough to play through. I can live with the backgrounds not being so hot considering they were never much to look at in the first place.

soop

Nah, the game is far more broken that crappy sprites.

The main problem I saw was that the hit detection only targets one enemy at once.  In the original, If you were attacking one enemy and a second walked into your sword, he'd get nailed.  Now however, they can just walk through your sword and start attacking. That's the most game breaking aspect in my eyes, but there are of course, many.
Quote from: esteban on 04/26/2018, 04:44 PMSHUTTLECOCK OR SHUFFLE OFF!

esteban

NOTE TO SELF: I gotta re-read this thread when I get a chance. :pcgs:
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

sonikthehedgehog

Thanks for the review. I've been eying it for a while since it's relatively cheap but I think I'll just pass on it.

CGQuarterly

Golden Axe for the Genesis is one of my all-time favorites, so the PCE version was definitely not enjoyable for me.  I can't say it was a disappointment because I wasn't expecting much.  At least the music is cool...

Chris