PCE, SNES and Genesis Screen Comparison.

Started by awack, 03/25/2009, 10:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NecroPhile

The MD edges out the PCE for Puyo Puyo, except for those black leafed trees.  Sheesh, couldn't they scrounge up a fourth shade of green from the MD's meager palette?

Quote from: esteban on 08/24/2009, 08:44 AMI think the Puyo in the arcade used 32X technology, however.
That's funny..... I don't remember it sucking.....  :lol:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Joe Redifer

I was hoping for sound comparisons of the game that became Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine.  That had awesome music on the Genesis.  The ones provided here feature music that isn't very substantial, it is just there.  But thanks for posting them anyway!

awack

The first few levels of space harrier/space harrier 2.

pce                                                genesis
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG

CrackTiger

The PCE version sure packs a lot onscreen. I guess it's because I haven't played through it with a decent connection, but I never noticed before that SH2 uses the shadow/highlight mode for shadows for all the floating sprites. I wonder how the Stage # is being rendered, that it gets covered by the shadows?
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

esteban

Quote from: awack on 08/25/2009, 02:50 AMThe first few levels of space harrier/space harrier 2.
The only two things that matters in a Space Harrier comparison are:

1. The "bubble" shooting sound effect
2. The Game Over / High Score music

If the Genesis pulls those off, then it is golden.

Then, and only then, we can compare the graphics.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: esteban on 08/25/2009, 09:39 AM
Quote from: awack on 08/25/2009, 02:50 AMThe first few levels of space harrier/space harrier 2.
The only two things that matters in a Space Harrier comparison are:

If the Genesis pulls those off, then it is golden.

Then, and only then, we can compare the graphics.
haha.

The Genesis Space Harrier II just looks like a redux of Space Harrier, much like Altered Beast. I love the intro to SHII. The PCE port of SH is awesome, I just wish it kept the checkered floor effect.
IMG
"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

NecroPhile

Don Doko Don (Famicom over PCE):

/dondokodon.png

Not really a fair comparison, as no one expects the Famicom to outshine the PCE and its far superior capabilities, but it's still fun to look at the differences.  In my humble opinion, the Famicom version compares well and looks pretty good, though the backgrounds disappear for the boss fights.

Tatsujin

the only sad thing about the pce space harrier is, that they couldn't use that checker floor. but hey, the marty version coulnd't neither :lol:

but still wonder why? even the SMS version did it (albeit not so well).
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

awack

QuoteI guess it's because I haven't played through it with a decent connection, but I never noticed before that SH2 uses the shadow/highlight mode for shadows for all the floating sprites. I wonder how the Stage # is being rendered, that it gets covered by the shadows?
I didn't even notice that, you eagle eyed man you.

QuoteNot really a fair comparison, as no one expects the Famicom to outshine the PCE and its far superior capabilities, but it's still fun to look at the differences.
Its pretty fair i think, the pce main competitor on release was the famicom as you know and a lot of developers didn't really push the system early on, Don Doko Don on the pce isn't a bad looking game.

QuoteThe only two things that matters in a Space Harrier comparison are:

You also have to subtract points for not having that classic space harrier music as heard in the link below.

CrackTiger

Quote from: Tatsujin on 08/25/2009, 11:27 AMthe only sad thing about the pce space harrier is, that they couldn't use that checker floor. but hey, the marty version coulnd't neither :lol:

The X68000 version uses the same effect as the PCE version, so maybe the same checker-stumped team made both (and maybe the Marty port)?

Don Doko Don looks amazing for Famicom, with some very large sprites in spots.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Tatsujin

Quote from: guest on 08/25/2009, 03:26 PM
Quote from: Tatsujin on 08/25/2009, 11:27 AMthe only sad thing about the pce space harrier is, that they couldn't use that checker floor. but hey, the marty version coulnd't neither :lol:

The X68000 version uses the same effect as the PCE version, so maybe the same checker-stumped team made both (and maybe the Marty port)?
oops, sry. when i wrote marty i actually meant x68k :oops:
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Joe Redifer

Space Harrier 2 definitely looks better... at least on pause.  In motion it is a toss-up.  The sound is awful on the PCE edition and the new music isn't very good on the Genesis game (since it is an actual sequel and not Space Harrier proper it has a completely different soundtrack).  The voice in the Genesis version in very clear whereas the PCE voices sound like white noise.  Both are worth owning if you are in to Space Harrier, but only as novelties.  I'd take the SMS version over both of them any day.

_Paul

Space Harrier II looks much better than SH 1 on the Engine, but as Joe said it's a toss up when in motion - Space Harrier PCE seems to run far smoother than the Mega Drive counterpart. I really dislike the striped floor on the PCE though. If the other versions could have done it right with colour cycling, then why not the PCE?

On a side note, I really like the music to SH2, it encompasses the feel of Space Harrier while having an originality of its own. The main thing that lets SH2 down is the farty-weak sound effects and the inability to really rapid-fire your gun, something a lot of SH clones get wrong.

I also have a soft spot for the SMS version, it sends waves of nostalgia over me and is the version that made me love Space Harrier to begin with.

CrackTiger

How about matching up some Space Fantasy Zone screens with SH & SH2?

Joe Redifer

Space Harrier 2 allows rapid fire.  Press A + Start in the title screen to get to the options menu.

nat

Space Harrier II looks better in the still screens, but that's where the comparison ends. In motion, it's a landslide in favor of the Turbo. It's not even a tossup. Space Harrier II seems like it's running at 20 FPS.

Although being the true SH fan I am, I own both games of course and love 'em to death, though I feel that SH2 is deeply flawed.

guyjin

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 08/25/2009, 04:34 PMI'd take the SMS version over both of them any day.
Seriously? i hardly ever play it because it's such an ugly, blocky mess.

when I have the urge to play SH, I generally pop in the 32X version.

Tatsujin

Quote from: guyjin on 08/25/2009, 08:41 PM
Quote from: Joe Redifer on 08/25/2009, 04:34 PMI'd take the SMS version over both of them any day.
Seriously? i hardly ever play it because it's such an ugly, blocky mess.

when I have the urge to play SH, I generally pop in the 32X version.
me goes for the saturn version :)

i have also almost any console conversions to choose from -> pce, md, sms, ss..

i appreciate the title screen of the sms version very much.

esteban

When it comes to Space Harrier, all I can say is....

IMG

Quote from: awack on 08/25/2009, 12:53 PM
QuoteThe only two things that matters in a Space Harrier comparison are:

You also have to subtract points for not having that classic space harrier music as heard in the link below.
:)

On a side note: there were a bunch of Game Gear games in that video I didn't recognize... kinda neat to think about the Japanese releases I can explore.

TurboXray

Quote from: guest on 08/25/2009, 05:12 PMI really dislike the striped floor on the PCE though. If the other versions could have done it right with colour cycling, then why not the PCE?
Charles and I looked into this before. They probably chose the striped floor method because it was the simplest to setup. The Genesis floor is easy to do as well, but takes up more vram. That might be why there are less frames in the MD version? Anyway, I'm at a loss as to why they didn't go full color cycling on the PCE floor. I mean, why only 3 colors for the stripes when they could have done a smooth 16 color or such.

_Paul

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 08/25/2009, 07:59 PMSpace Harrier 2 allows rapid fire.  Press A + Start in the title screen to get to the options menu.
I don't mean hold-down-the-button type rapid fire. I meant the number of shots on screen at once. With PCE SH you can keep blasting away non-stop, in SH2 every few shots you get an annoying gap where you seem to be limited with number of shots on screen at once.

Joe Redifer

I do not care for the Game Gear version of Space Harrier.  They took the SMS version and raped it with very odd graphics.

Quote from: GuyjinSeriously? i hardly ever play [the SMS version] because it's such an ugly, blocky mess.
That it may be, but everything is so much bigger than the PCE version.  The PCE has teeny tiny enemies and sprites you almost need a microscope to play it.  The SMS has giant, huge detailed things which are only enhanced by the tiles around them.  I am almost convinced that the SMS has better voice as well, though certainly not as much.

_Paul

awack

Since every one seems to like space harrier lets put up some shots of the later levels.

pce                                               genesis
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG

_Paul

It's a shame that the PCE main sprite is so damn messy. Mind you, the arcade one was also a bit poorly shaded as well. I really like the all-red suit of SH2.

awack

QuoteHow about matching up some Space Fantasy Zone screens with SH & SH2?
Its faster with a hell of a lot more action onscreen.

space fantasy zone, pce
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG

pce                                                genesis
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG

_Paul

esteban

/sharriercomparison.pngIMG
SH2 (enlarged to show detailed shading of sprite)

shubibiman

This is my favorite version of Space Harrier :

New picture soon.
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

NecroPhile

Quote from: shubibiman on 08/26/2009, 02:58 PMThis is my favorite version of Space Harrier :
Full motion cockpit for the win!  Though you might want to resize that monster pic, as 2592x3872 doesn't fit many monitors.

Joe Redifer

That picture is not large enough.  Could you please make it larger so maybe we can see it?  Thanks!

Space Harrier 3D kind of pisses me off as well.  It is exceedingly tough.  I have never been able to beat it.  And since it is a 3D game it is twice as choppy as the original SMS game, just like Out Run 3D.

_Paul

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 08/26/2009, 03:48 PMThat picture is not large enough.  Could you please make it larger so maybe we can see it?  Thanks!

Space Harrier 3D kind of pisses me off as well.  It is exceedingly tough.  I have never been able to beat it.  And since it is a 3D game it is twice as choppy as the original SMS game, just like Out Run 3D.
Yeah, it's very choppy but that the SMS can shift all that stuff around like that is still pretty impressive. I'd love to do a sort of remake combining elements from all the versions of Space Harrier, including 3D as it had some fairly neat stuff in it.

Turbo D

Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

TR0N

Quote from: turbo D on 08/26/2009, 05:27 PMWhere is the 32x space harrier???
I like to know where is planet harrier jk !
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

awack

Bonanaza Bro.

PCE                                                Genesis
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG

esteban

Bonanza Bros.: I never played these games, but going solely from the screenshots, both versions seem nice and on par with each other. Sure, I could point out some things (see the last pic in the series, with the coal mine car) and give the edge to the pce, but...

There are some aesthetic decisions that seem to favor the pce: the gradient and perspective on the tiled floor, for example. Or the backgrounds.

Bonanza Bros. was a PCE CD, correct? Did it offer a nice soundtrack compared to the cart?

_Paul

Quote from: esteban on 08/27/2009, 11:01 AMBonanza Bros.: I never played these games, but going solely from the screenshots, both versions seem nice and on par with each other. Sure, I could point out some things (see the last pic in the series, with the coal mine car) and give the edge to the pce, but...

There are some aesthetic decisions that seem to favor the pce: the gradient and perspective on the tiled floor, for example. Or the backgrounds.

Bonanza Bros. was a PCE CD, correct? Did it offer a nice soundtrack compared to the cart?
The PCE arrangements are very cool.

Joe Redifer

I have always hated Bonanza Bros with a passion.

CrackTiger

PCE                                                Genesis                                        SMS
IMGIMGIMG

Judging from Paul's arcade vs PCE comparison on Pcengine.co.uk, the PCE version looks to be more arcade faithful than the Genesis version when it comes to color choices. That SMS screen shot is from Sega 8-bit.com.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 08/27/2009, 12:15 PMThe PCE arrangements are very cool.
Thanks :). I've been meaning to pick this up for years, but I was always leery of it. The handful of gems on the soundtrack alone makes it worthwhile.

I really dig the first and fourth songs (proper) on there. The opening track has a lot of drama. Song four is at 4:41. I like how the "rusty saloon door slowly moving" sound is incorporated into the song. Atmospheric.

Am I crazy, or does the sixth (last) song (7:38) have hints of SPACE HARRIER in the main melody?! Great tune, and I like the instruments and arrangement. Really sweet little track.

The third and fifth songs are easily my least favorite, but they are  executed competently. They just aren't my cup of tea.

awack

Monter Lair.

PCE                                               Genesis
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG

Tatsujin

100% pce WIN (beside the missing parallax. please also add some arcade screens :) and we will see how close de PCE is ;)

_Paul

Arcade - PCE

/0001y.png /cd8f6018910011.png

/0003e.png /cd8f60189100311.png

/0005n.png /cd8f60189100811.png

/wb3sprites.gif

Tatsujin

once again, the MD looks so retarded. and the PCE came out even earlier. lol

_Paul

The Mega Drive version looks like the kind of conversion you used to get on the Amiga, where they drew the graphics from memory or shaky video they took in the local arcade.

TR0N

PCE version for the win on monster lair :dance: Dunno the character sprites in the md version look less detailed.....and it just looks plain odd to me.Now the animation in the arcade version looks fine to me,but it lacking a arrange sound track is some thing i don't like.So to me i still think the pce version is the best one.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

_Paul

Here's an interesting thing I discovered while examining the player shots in Space Harrier:

/sharriershots.jpg

In both the Master System and Megadrive versions, the player shots are aimed toward a vanishing point in the centre of the screen. But when you look at the arcade version, when you position the Harrier at the top corner, his shots should actually shoot forward and then outwards in an arc - this is replicated in the PC Engine version, although the shots seem to veer to the left straight away rather then the wider arc of the arcade.

esteban

A. Folks! I still want to know if you think that one song from Bonanza Bros. is reminiscent of Space Harrier.

Quote from: guest on 08/29/2009, 08:19 AMIn both the Master System and Megadrive versions, the player shots are aimed toward a vanishing point in the centre of the screen. But when you look at the arcade version, when you position the Harrier at the top corner, his shots should actually shoot forward and then outwards in an arc - this is replicated in the PC Engine version, although the shots seem to veer to the left straight away rather then the wider arc of the arcade.
B. That's very interesting. Since you are constantly moving in Space Harrier,  I never noticed any differences with the weapons. Stand still? Never! :)

C. As for Monster Lair: the PCE version is the best, hands down, though I do love some of the arcade tunes and feel that they hold up well, even to the Red Book awesomeness. The shoot-em-up stage, leading up to the bosses, sounds great in the arcade version, for example :)

The MD version has HORRIBLY LAME sound effects, from what I remember, and it really degrades the experience. The SFX are constantly used in a game like Monster Lair, since you grab new weapons and fruit every millisecond (literally). The constant barrage of poor SFX becomes irritating rather quickly. If the MD had the option to turn them off, I would.

Sorry for my rant, but Monster Lair is one of my all-time favorite games. :)

Which reminds me, I gotta finish a project that's been sitting stagnant for the past month.

awack

Images from two games in this shot, one of them is super star soldier of course, lets see if any one can guess what the other game is.

IMG

ccovell

Gotta be an Amiga game or something German-developed.  They copied PCE game designs shamelessly.    :wink: