10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

FX-Unit Yuki: The Henshin Engine for TurboGrafx-16/PC Engine

Started by sirhcman, 09/19/2016, 09:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spenoza

The SNES and Genesis also used the exact same software parallax techniques to augment their hardware background support. Software parallax is, in some ways, far more common than hardware parallax.

OldRover

Testing begins this weekend. We're so close to completion now.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Arkhan Asylum

parallax on the PC Engine is annoying to deal with. 

like rover mentioned, it requires careful preparation.   IE: Unintuitive art requirements, followed by multiple scrolling concepts all working in tandem.

There's a reason why pretty much any game doing this sort of thing has really simple repetition.   It looks cool, but it's pretty much always repetitive tiles.   Like the first level in Schibibin Man 3.   

and then ultimately, you've sacrificed gameplay power for eyecandy, lol.

Lookin at you, giant coral towers in Atlantean.

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

OldRover

"Function before flash" is my modus operandi when doing this kind of thing. It doesn't matter how pretty it looks if it plays like asscandle. We've sacrificed looks for gameplay at various points of this production; tis a shame how many would prefer to do it the other way around, as we saw from time to time back in the day and even occasionally today.
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Michirin9801

Quote from: guest on 10/17/2017, 01:54 PMparallax on the PC Engine is annoying to deal with. 

like rover mentioned, it requires careful preparation.   IE: Unintuitive art requirements, followed by multiple scrolling concepts all working in tandem.

There's a reason why pretty much any game doing this sort of thing has really simple repetition.   It looks cool, but it's pretty much always repetitive tiles.   Like the first level in Schibibin Man 3.   

and then ultimately, you've sacrificed gameplay power for eyecandy, lol.

Lookin at you, giant coral towers in Atlantean.
I know what you mean, but if you have a talented artist who understands all of these things and how the system works in general, it's possible to make something which not only looks great, with parallax and all, but doesn't get too much in the way of level design!
And I know a couple of people who can totally do that ;3

OldRover

Just posting a quick update: we're now officially in beta testing. There is still work to be done, as a couple of substages aren't quite finished yet, but this should only take a few more days to complete. Here's hoping anyways. Last week of dev coming up.

YukiDemo2017Oct22.jpg
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10213261793286673
YukiSept2017.jpg

touko

i like it,and this evil transformed MD is excellent .

CrackTiger

Quote from: touko on 10/23/2017, 04:06 PMi like it,and this evil transformed MD is excellent .
Since it was my last chance to design a boss, I wanted to do some kind of mecha Mega Drive, but also reference Shockman.

IMGIMG

I also made a more traditionally shaped player ship in the Shockman style.

IMG
IMG
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

NightWolve

turboswimbz

That's great, CrackTiger. I really like it,  =D> can't wait to buy this one.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

OldRover

Unfortunately, the original design for that boss didn't work due to the PCE's limitations. :(

ToyMachine78

This game is gonna be epic, but when can I order it?

OldRover

I believe Saru has an order thingo on his website.

The Megadrive boss didn't work out as originally planned for a couple of reasons. First of all, there were too many sprites in the arms and it caused large amounts of flicker. So, I opted to remove the arm pieces and have the hands fly independently, similar to the second phase of the end boss of Dead Moon. Secondly, in the comic, Yuki transforms into a fighter jet in this scene, so that part had to be altered in the game too.

Damn sprites-per-line limit... :(

touko

QuoteSince it was my last chance to design a boss, I wanted to do some kind of mecha Mega Drive, but also reference Shockman.
Wahou, those bosses are really beautiful  :D
Same thing for backgrounds, very colored (with taste) and detailled,they remind me commercial games quality,good job .

QuoteThe Megadrive boss didn't work out as originally planned for a couple of reasons. First of all, there were too many sprites in the arms and it caused large amounts of flicker
Arf, damn  :x
May be you can only deploy the boss's arms at a certain moment and one at a time when he don't fire to limit flickering .

QuoteDamn sprites-per-line limit... :(
It's time to go on SGX then  :mrgreen:

spenoza

The way to get around that limit is to just make sure the arms are far enough apart vertically, and if they cross each others' path it's at an angle. You could also use alternating flicker on the arms, much like many NES games do on projectiles and whatnot.

CrackTiger

Quote from: guest on 10/24/2017, 11:12 AMThe way to get around that limit is to just make sure the arms are far enough apart vertically, and if they cross each others' path it's at an angle. You could also use alternating flicker on the arms, much like many NES games do on projectiles and whatnot.
Using a minimal number of segments that don't necessarily touch one another is something else that was often done.

The problem with this scene is that it's a horizintal shooter, where you're lining up your ship and bullets with another ship and its bullets.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

gilbert

How about making the segments flickering on purpose? Such as some games use flickering to display more bullets. This would keep flickering of the other stuff on screen to a minimum.
You may get away with it by making those segments made of something like "energy beam", "electric" or whatever.

spenoza

Quote from: CrackTiger on 10/24/2017, 11:37 AMThe problem with this scene is that it's a horizintal shooter, where you're lining up your ship and bullets with another ship and its bullets.
Yeah, and that makes it more difficult to orchestrate, but certainly not impossible. Then again, this is a homebrew development and not a commercial studio endeavor (in the classic sense), so I understand if the programming attention and skill necessary to orchestrate that well is prohibitive.

CrackTiger

Quote from: guest on 10/24/2017, 12:17 PM
Quote from: CrackTiger on 10/24/2017, 11:37 AMThe problem with this scene is that it's a horizintal shooter, where you're lining up your ship and bullets with another ship and its bullets.
Yeah, and that makes it more difficult to orchestrate, but certainly not impossible. Then again, this is a homebrew development and not a commercial studio endeavor (in the classic sense), so I understand if the programming attention and skill necessary to orchestrate that well is prohibitive.
I think that the biggest factor keeping things from being reworked until they're ideal instead of jusy shooting for something that is fine and should work as-is, is just the restriction of available time to do it.

This was all done in our spare time and not only are there a lot stages, many of them alone have more assets and misc under the hood than most entire homebrew PCE games.

Remember Aetherbyte's ambitious goal with Insanity, to complete a PCE homebrew game within a year? I still can't believe how close this came to being complete in about a year once things got moving full speed and it'll likely be published within a year and a half. Even on a dev friendly console like Sega Genesis, it would be a big deal conpleting a game of this scope within the same time frame.

This is of course independent of whether or not the game is any good. :P But I'm excited about PCE homebrew continuing to become more ambitious.

ToyMachine78

Quote from: guest on 10/24/2017, 12:17 PM
This may have been done on a hombrew budget, but it sure looks like studio quality.

CrackTiger

This is some stuff I put together for a system card warning stage that isn't going to make it into the game:

IMG IMG
IMG IMG

ParanoiaDragon

Bummer, why isn't the warning stage going to make it? Lack of time for the development?
IMG

CrackTiger

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 10/26/2017, 04:00 AMBummer, why isn't the warning stage going to make it? Lack of time for the development?
Not enough space for CD2 (for much of any kind of stage) and not enough time to include as bonus content.

turboswimbz

Quote from: guest on 10/26/2017, 07:08 AM
Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 10/26/2017, 04:00 AMBummer, why isn't the warning stage going to make it? Lack of time for the development?
Not enough space for CD2 (for much of any kind of stage) and not enough time to include as bonus content.
It's still a pretty cool idea and beautifully done.  I love the behind the scenes look.  Those flowers reminds me of a mash up of bonk and sonic.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

OldRover

Yeah, the library alone takes up about half the memory, leaving only the other half for a user program, which usually has to include the graphics stuff too. This is one of the biggest downsides of using HuC, and I'm not smart enough to code anything in pure assembly. On the plus side, that red ship from the stage 6 boss mockup will be included after all. :D

OldRover

As of right now, we are 100 hours away from the curtain call. This weekend will be pretty much nothing but work on the final aspects of the game; doing bugfixes, tweaking level designs, tying up loose ends, doing spit n polish here n there.

NecroPhile

GOB is helping?

It's an illusion, Micheal.  Whores do tricks.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Dicer

Quote from: OldRover on 10/26/2017, 09:59 PMAs of right now, we are 100 hours away from the curtain call. This weekend will be pretty much nothing but work on the final aspects of the game; doing bugfixes, tweaking level designs, tying up loose ends, doing spit n polish here n there.
Then you can get back to having a life, ya know cause life is life...

OldRover

THERE IS NO LIFE AFTER OBEY. THERE IS ONLY OBEY.

SmokeMonster

The Paypal/pre-order link at henshinengine . com doesn't seem to be working.
https://www.fxunityuki.com/

OldRover

Looks like some stuff on the website is broken at the moment and there's no time to fix it as we're in the final days of dev. Saru will likely fix it once we're done.

SmokeMonster

Thanks! Saru must have just fixed the Paypal system, so I was able to pre-order.

Sarumaru

SmokeMonster, thanks for bringing that up to our attention :)

Also, I drew this up a couple days ago for teh burthdais of teh pce

IMG

Yeah, Geni is there too but they are kind of a pair deal :P

NecroPhile

Nice!

You gonna draw one for PC-FX in a couple years when she turns 25?  I vote it involves a PC-FX girly with a strap on giving the business to Rolfee.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Sarumaru

Quote from: guest on 10/31/2017, 01:16 PMNice!

You gonna draw one for PC-FX in a couple years when she turns 25?  I vote it involves a PC-FX girly with a strap on giving the business to Rolfee.
All is possible, HE already has a character that was inspired by Rolfee too :P

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: NecroPhile on 10/31/2017, 01:16 PMNice!

nah man, ass to ass, like that scene in Requiem For A Dream.

except ontop of a PC-FX instead of in some crackheads bang-room.

drugs still present, of course.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Sarumaru

Quote from: guest on 10/31/2017, 01:21 PM

So Yuki and Rolfee, ass to ass in Ark's room. Got it. I'll see what I can do ;)

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Ѕarumaru on 10/31/2017, 01:30 PM
Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 10/31/2017, 01:21 PM
Quote from: NecroPhile on 10/31/2017, 01:16 PMNice!

with me dressed up as a PC-FX, and that's what they're on top of?

lol

I joked about drawing Rolfee blowing coke off of a PC-FX once or twice, but I can't draw.

Sarumaru

Quote from: guest on 10/31/2017, 01:33 PM
Quote from: Ѕarumaru on 10/31/2017, 01:30 PM
Quote from: guest on 10/31/2017, 01:21 PM

with me dressed up as a PC-FX, and that's what they're on top of?

lol

I joked about drawing Rolfee blowing coke off of a PC-FX once or twice, but I can't draw.
She's gotta keep her girlish figure somehow!

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Ѕarumaru on 10/31/2017, 01:37 PMShe's gotta keep her girlish figure somehow!
get her on meth.

cant eat if you have no teeth.

spenoza

Arkhan Asylum

spenoza

Sarumaru

OldRover

So I just wanted to drop a quick update here for y'all. As of right now, Henshin Engine no longer exists. Due to a trademark issue, the name has been changed. I'll let Saru fill everyone in on the changes when the time is right, but let's just say that it was a damn good thing that we did not actually release the game under the name Henshin Engine or we'd have been in a heap of legal trouble. Because of the change, there will be a revised title screen and website and merchandise stuffs and all that jazz... basically, the whole thing has to be re-branded. More details to follow as they become available.

Psycho Punch

Bootleg games for $$$: radio silence
Make completely new game with homage title: CEASE IMMEDIATELY
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

seieienbu

I'm really curious what other product/service/thing could possibly be named "Henshin Engine."  Here's hoping that an amusing story comes from all of this.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Psycho Punch

Quote from: seieienbu on 11/18/2017, 04:34 PMI'm really curious what other product/service/thing could possibly be named "Henshin Engine."  Here's hoping that an amusing story comes from all of this.
I thought this was just Konami being annoyed that saru used something too close to PC engine since they are the current owners of it
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

seieienbu

It sounded to me like the problem was the name and not the platform...?
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: seieienbu on 11/18/2017, 04:34 PMI'm really curious what other product/service/thing could possibly be named "Henshin Engine."  Here's hoping that an amusing story comes from all of this.
Im suspecting jokes and lulz because Henshin Engine's trademark is registered to Saru... so...